OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XII - Heeeeeeressss JJ! (Percy Harvin Edition)

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I doubt its a 1:1 relation but i wish we would finally move away from turf and go with grass. Maybe theres some hope or reason the organization will do this after his injury

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I doubt its a 1:1 relation but i wish we would finally move away from turf and go with grass. Maybe theres some hope or reason the organization will do this after his injury

I don't believe they've figured out a way to grow grass indoors, so I doubt we will see that anytime soon. Maybe there is some possibilities with the "glass" roof, but I'm not sure.

I'm not gonna be too quick to blame the turf. Cousins tore his achilles on natural grass last year, and Teddy B blew out his knee on natural grass also.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't believe they've figured out a way to grow grass indoors, so I doubt we will see that anytime soon. Maybe there is some possibilities with the "glass" roof, but I'm not sure.

I'm not gonna be too quick to blame the turf. Cousins tore his achilles on natural grass last year, and Teddy B blew out his knee on natural grass also.
The injury difference is marginal
No way to tell how this one happened. Could've just been the wear and tear due to the packed offseason for draft prospects

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021

Theres ways to do it.

COPA America was all played on natural grass this past year and there were some indoor venues.

Lambeau finds a way to "grow" grass during the winter with their natural/ turf mixture.

Also someone brought up a good point about how hes not actually missing that many reps come the regular season which is true. Hes only really missing out on the offseason practices and pre season reps.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Theres ways to do it.

COPA America was all played on natural grass this past year and there were some indoor venues.

Lambeau finds a way to "grow" grass during the winter with their natural/ turf mixture.

Also someone brought up a good point about how hes not actually missing that many reps come the regular season which is true. Hes only really missing out on the offseason practices and pre season reps.

I'm guessing they just laid sod indoors just for that event. Laying new sod for 8+ games is probably cost and effort prohibitive.

And, like I said, Cousin's season ending injury happened on Lambeau's turf.

I don't believe the number of players getting knee injuries on turf is all that much different than grass.

Reactions: TaLoN

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
No reason to panic yet on that one. Players get on carts for pretty minor injuries in the preseason/offseason. But if he was also seriously injured... woof

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I'm guessing they just laid sod indoors just for that event. Laying new sod for 8+ games is probably cost and effort prohibitive.

And, like I said, Cousin's season ending injury happened on Lambeau's turf.

I don't believe the number of players getting knee injuries on turf is all that much different than grass.
You are correct they laid sod down. The World Cup is coming here as well and FIFA mandates that they play on grass as well, Point is it can be done if we wanted to go that route. The vikings have already had 2 different turfs at US Bank stadium and im sure that combined cost is around the same probably more of what it would cost to keep a field up and running.

Yup Kirks is one injury and I very well could go and look for countless times players have gotten injured on turf as well. Pointing out a one of situation doesnt really make much sense.

Players prefer playing on grass and its at no cost to us the fans. Even if it helps even the slightest id do it. Who cares about "cost" when its billionaires paying it? lol Its really a no brainer situation to me.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If he was healthy, and the Vikings were 5-2 and Darnold had something like 13 TDs and 5 INTs through 7 games, McCarthy is not for sure playing week 8.

If Darnold goes 13TD/5INT, MN is sitting at 2-5 or 3-4. The first 7 games they play 5 Playoff teams from last year, the NYJ (on paper really good), and the NYG.

Week 9 would have been the time to make the QB change. At home, long practice week (previous week was a Thursday game), against middle of the pack team (Colts). The schedule gets easier at that point.

It's a moot point now, just the schedule is rough to start the season for MN and scoring ~24 points a game isn't going to win many of those games.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If Darnold goes 13TD/5INT, MN is sitting at 2-5 or 3-4. The first 7 games they play 5 Playoff teams from last year, the NYJ (on paper really good), and the NYG.

Week 9 would have been the time to make the QB change. At home, long practice week (previous week was a Thursday game), against middle of the pack team (Colts). The schedule gets easier at that point.

It's a moot point now, just the schedule is rough to start the season for MN and scoring ~24 points a game isn't going to win many of those games.
FWIW, they were 6-3 when holding their opponent to 24 or less last season, with wins vs 49ers and GB

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It should have been "were" -- subjunctive tense, oft-neglected these days.
Except, when referring to a specific second person, "was" is the proper word... as was used. "He was mostly going to be a clipboard QB this year anyway”

1723724019419.png

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Hammer right to the head of the nail.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

13 TDs and 5 INTs through 7 games would be 32 TDs and 12 INTs over 17 games, which would've been top 4 in the NFL last year. Darnold would be the last reason that they would have a losing record in this situation, and a QB change still wouldn't happen.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
13 TDs and 5 INTs through 7 games would be 32 TDs and 12 INTs over 17 games, which would've been top 4 in the NFL last year. Darnold would be the last reason that they would have a losing record in this situation, and a QB change still wouldn't happen.

Cousins went 16-5 and MN started 3-4 last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad