Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine?

the highlights, top 3 of the season is going to be offloading players that we don't want anymore. That's not a bad thing. If we can replace them savvyly then potentially that sets up a lot of good as soon as april if not next season

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Trouba is one of the first photos the Rangers posted from the informal practice today. Where have all of the Trouba threads gone. Going to be interesting to see how the fans treat him this year.

“Those aren’t boos, Sam. Those are Trou’s!! T as in tango, r as in Romeo, O as in Oscar, and U as in Uranus.”

lol those are definitely boos because he sucks at hockey now

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm as unimpressed by Drury so far as anyone but he is kinda stuck with cap space, he atleast moved Goodrow and tried to move Trouba which would have likely lead to something big for us. I'm not sure what he can do at this point, best case scenario he saves cap space somehow for the deadline and makes a splash there. We need Kakko to step up, Chytil to stay healthy, Jones to fit, Trouba to be better, Lindgren to stay healthy and for nobody to take a step back...thats a lot, fingers crossed.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Excited to see if Smith can regain his form from Vegas and stabilize some 5v5 scoring for the Kreider-Zibanejad duo....sad that we need a RW to do that for two of our "top" scorers, but it's our reality.

I think this team would be far better off if Kakko could take a Lafreniere sized leap, putting Smith on 3rd line with Cuylle and Chytil ... but we've been waiting for that for years so I'm not holding my breath. But Kakko making that jump would be huge for depth.

I'm cautiously optimistic. We return same roster as President's Trophy team (not counting deadline rentals), only losing Gustafsson, but replacing him with Jones. Unlikely Fox sustains another long term injury, unlikely Shesty goes through slump like he did last year ... think we can have another very successful Reg Szn giving us favorable playoff positioning for Rd 1 once again.

That said, massive Q mark is Chytils health, as 3C becomes another large issue once again if he is out at any point.

Excited to see if Berard or Othmann grab a spot, but don't think either would be poorly served by another AHL season. Top 9 is somewhat jammed, but could see both Kakko (barring unlikely breakout) and Smith being gone next year opening up spots. Don't want Othmann playign 4L mins, but Berard could fit there.

And as always, playoffs is all that matters for this core.
We would be a great team in the playoffs if Kreider could lead on the ice even if just for a shift or two a game to set the tone physically . No need to be full blown Bennett ....but a fraction of would be a nice bonus .

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I have my doubts the Rangers will move Trouba during the season. I think that moving Jacob is pretty likely going to happen next summer though. If they move D during the season it'll probably be either Lindgren and/or Jones.

I think the major reason the Rangers wanted to move Trouba to Detroit was to create more cap space for free agent targets when free agency opened up. When those targets disappeared they recommitted to him for this year but the Rangers are definitely going to need the cap space next summer. I think next summer there's about an 80% chance he's moved and around 90% he won't be a Ranger come 26-27.

Lindgren is a rental and his cap is too high for this year and he'll need a new contract and he'll want more money and he'll want term. He's got to go. We'd get some value back moving him at the trade deadline. That may or may not happen depending on finding a replacement but we're not giving him a big contract so I'm thinking 90% he won't be here for 25-26. He is the most likely to move first of all of them.

In the summer we heard the Rangers aren't convinced on Jones. So unless he does really well I think there's a pretty decent chance he moves on too. He's a slick puck mover. To me a sign will be whether they trust him enough to put him on the penalty kill or at least a bit. When that happens it tells me the coaching staff does trust him. I think he's about 50/50 to make it to 25-26.

Ruhwedel is also a temporary fix. Might last the season....might not.

When looking at Hartford's D---a young guy who could possibly push his way into the picture is Mancini. Harpur, Mackey and Fitzgerald all have NHL experience though.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I have my doubts the Rangers will move Trouba during the season. I think that moving Jacob is pretty likely going to happen next summer though. If they move D during the season it'll probably be either Lindgren and/or Jones.

I think the major reason the Rangers wanted to move Trouba to Detroit was to create more cap space for free agent targets when free agency opened up. When those targets disappeared they recommitted to him for this year but the Rangers are definitely going to need the cap space next summer.

Lindgren is a rental and his cap is too high for this year and he'll need a new contract and he'll want more money and he'll want term. He's got to go. We'd get some value back moving him at the trade deadline. That may or may not happen depending on finding a replacement but we're not giving him a big contract so I'm thinking 90% he won't be here for 25-26. He is the most likely to move.

In the summer we heard the Rangers aren't convinced on Jones. So unless he does really well I think there's a pretty decent chance he moves on too. He's a slick puck mover. To me a sign will be whether they trust him enough to put him on the penalty kill or at least a bit. When that happens it tells me the coaching staff does trust him.

When looking at Hartford's D---a young guy who could possibly push his way into the picture is Mancini. Harpur, Mackey and Fitzgerald all have NHL experience though.

I think the organization wants Robertson to show something so they can play him over jones.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Dryden Hunt lite.
IMG_8826.gif

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I'm as unimpressed by Drury so far as anyone but he is kinda stuck with cap space, he atleast moved Goodrow and tried to move Trouba which would have likely lead to something big for us. I'm not sure what he can do at this point, best case scenario he saves cap space somehow for the deadline and makes a splash there. We need Kakko to step up, Chytil to stay healthy, Jones to fit, Trouba to be better, Lindgren to stay healthy and for nobody to take a step back...thats a lot, fingers crossed.

He's the one who signed Goodrow to that insane deal in the first place and tried to move Trouba? Well, he epically failed at that, didn't he? He should've waited until after Trouba submitted his NTC and THEN traded him. He wasn't very GM savvy there...

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm of the opinion we should give Kessel a shot here. It's a pto type thing, come to camp, be the 13th guy, practice all year, play the odd games before Christmas, start playing him more in the new year, see how it goes.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

I think the major reason the Rangers wanted to move Trouba to Detroit was to create more cap space for free agent targets when free agency opened up. When those targets disappeared they recommitted to him for this year but the Rangers are definitely going to need the cap space next summer. I think next summer there's about an 80% chance he's moved and around 90% he won't be a Ranger come 26-27.

Lindgren is a rental and his cap is too high for this year and he'll need a new contract and he'll want more money and he'll want term. He's got to go. We'd get some value back moving him at the trade deadline. That may or may not happen depending on finding a replacement but we're not giving him a big contract so I'm thinking 90% he won't be here for 25-26. He is the most likely to move first of all of them.

In the summer we heard the Rangers aren't convinced on Jones. So unless he does really well I think there's a pretty decent chance he moves on too. He's a slick puck mover. To me a sign will be whether they trust him enough to put him on the penalty kill or at least a bit. When that happens it tells me the coaching staff does trust him. I think he's about 50/50 to make it to 25-26.

Ruhwedel is also a temporary fix. Might last the season....might not.

Guys like Dan Girardi and Schneider did not have experience at one point. I’d rather give Mancini a look. They know what they have in Harpur, Mackey. Rangers do need to acquire some young dman that are already in pro at 20 21 22 years old. Rangers do need depth there. Cant rely on minor leaguers forever. Robertson hopefully improved enough to get a game which by now, he looks like a bust.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm of the opinion we should give Kessel a shot here. It's a pto type thing, come to camp, be the 13th guy, practice all year, play the odd games before Christmas, start playing him more in the new year, see how it goes.
no thanks
no wasting mins best for youth on vets esp over the hill ones

ok I complained about idiot bastards assaulting us w/nonsense, like giving Kakko away, etc.

Here is a guy who need to be applauded, at least on this one...

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Erne is a fine PTO. He can be like a Dryden Hunt lite if needed. Plus he's from close to Hartford so if he signs a two way deal awesome.
The thing about Dryden Hunt is that he's a relatively effective player but he couldn't score at this level. He got a lot of hate when the team tried him as a role player in the top 9, rightfully so probably.

Erne is even worse. I'm fine with him being on the roster, but he should be gorilla glued to the 4th line. This is not Jimmy Vesey, who outscores everyone else I mentioned in this post by a significant margin, and I'm not even sure Vesey should be seeing top 9 minutes either.

And if somebody from the 4th line does move up, because shit happens, it should still be Jimmy moving up, with a bullet. I'd rather just call up whichever of Berard or Othmann doesn't make the team full-time.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think the organization wants Robertson to show something so they can play him over jones.

Well Robertson will have to earn it and by that I mean we haven't seen him put the pieces of his game together yet. It's not to say it won't happen but he's running out of time with this organization. It's like he plateaued three years ago and has only made minimal progress since. He needs to take a real step. Sometimes moving to another organization helps players. That might be the best thing that could happen for him. To me this year will be his last year in the Rangers organization if he doesn't show real improvement.

Reactions: McRanger92

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Guys like Dan Girardi and Schneider did not have experience at one point. I’d rather give Mancini a look. They know what they have in Harpur, Mackey. Rangers do need to acquire some young dman that are already in pro at 20 21 22 years old. Rangers do need depth there. Cant rely on minor leaguers forever. Robertson hopefully improved enough to get a game which by now, he looks like a bust.

You tend to find out a lot in training camp. If Mancini gets in preseason games and struggles he will go to the AHL and for a first year pro there are going to be a lot of jitters just playing preseason even against quarter and half roster NHL lineups. So I wouldn't get my expectations too high that he's going to make the Rangers out of camp. Even if he's close to ready he might need time with the Pack just to settle himself. Forcing a player into a lineup when he's not ready can break their confidence. He did really well stepping from college into the AHL.....that's a big step but the NHL is another big step and rushing things can be counterproductive.

Both Girardi and Schneider by the way were midseason call ups when they first got their chance.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
the highlights, top 3 of the season is going to be offloading players that we don't want anymore. That's not a bad thing. If we can replace them savvyly then potentially that sets up a lot of good as soon as april if not next season
Usually when the board is dooming, the season ends up surprising us in a good way. But its cup or bust time.

Reactions: Tob

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Well Robertson will have to earn it and by that I mean we haven't seen him put the pieces of his game together yet. It's not to say it won't happen but he's running out of time with this organization. It's like he plateaued three years ago and has only made minimal progress since. He needs to take a real step. Sometimes moving to another organization helps players. That might be the best thing that could happen for him. To me this year will be his last year in the Rangers organization if he doesn't show real improvement.

Id agree with this assessment but Robertson has size and can skate. Jones is an NHLer but anyone who claims size isnt a factor is willfully ignorant. The Rangers can't play Fox, Lindgren and Jones in their top 6 and expect a different outcome. especially when their larger defenseman are Trouba (who sucks) and Miller (who doesnt play physical). he should get a long look in preseason because hes gotta go on waivers if he doesnt make the team.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Id agree with this assessment but Robertson has size and can skate. Jones is an NHLer but anyone who claims size isnt a factor is willfully ignorant. The Rangers can't play Fox, Lindgren and Jones in their top 6 and expect a different outcome. especially when their larger defenseman are Trouba (who sucks) and Miller (who doesnt play physical). he should get a long look in preseason because hes gotta go on waivers if he doesnt make the team.

Simple solution.

Replace Lindgren with someone who is good and is bigger.

Done.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Can we not say top 6 when talking about a d core?
Top 6 is for forwards. Because there’s 12 of them.
Top 2/4 are for defense, because there’s 6.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You also have to defend the front of your net
That's not something we're particularly bad at, especially considering how relatively little we have the puck for a team competing at the level we were competing at.

1726068164090.png

We scored more goals from home plate than Florida did, and just as many in the slot. That's factoring in that they 1) outscored us! and 2) had the puck two-thirds of the series.

They scored six goals from past the dots. Those are turnovers more often than not.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I'm with you here on the size issue. A defenseman playing at 170 some lbs. is just too light. We already have Fox in the 180's but he makes up for it because he's not only special offensively but his hockey IQ and intuitive abilities makes him a very good defender. He makes up for his lack of size that other similar size players don't because he's a special player.

Jones is a very skilled player but he's not special and if he were it would be apparent to everyone by now. He's really pretty much a left handed lighter weight Nils Lundkvist and there are smaller very skilled defensemen all over the league struggling to make their mark who have the same issues.

The other thing is how much is too much and how much is too little. Fox and Lindgren and Jones are all undersized. Almost without exception Stanley Cup winning teams have large and physical defenses. I absolutely think we can win a Cup with Fox because he's such a great player but Lindgren? and Jones?---not really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad