OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XII - Heeeeeeressss JJ! (Percy Harvin Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wabit

May 23, 2016
That is certainly something. I have no trouble watching hockey or football. Baseball is a snooze fest.

There is 2 pitches for every 1 football play.

There is ~150 plays in NFL game and it lasts ~3 hrs (less than 1 play every minute). There are ~300 pitches in a MLB game and it lasts ~2.5 hrs (1 play ever ~30 secs).

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

There is ~150 plays in NFL game and it lasts ~3 hrs (less than 1 play every minute). There are ~300 pitches in a MLB game and it lasts ~2.5 hrs (1 play ever ~30 secs).
This means nothing to me. Football is just flat out more entertaining from my perspective. Baseball is really boring. I do put baseball above golf though 👍

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

150 plays in an NFL game with a lot more happening per play the there is during the 300 pitches in baseball.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This means nothing to me. Football is just flat out more entertaining from my perspective. Baseball is really boring. I do put baseball above golf though 👍

See football is boring to me. It's like watching NASCAR at a superspeedway. Stand up and cheer for 5 secs of action then twiddle your thumbs for the next 40 secs. I really miss the 80's and 90's version of football.

My own opinion for sports entertainment is that the MLB and NHL have gone mostly in the right direction with rule changes since the 90s. NFL and NASCAR have gone in the wrong direction.

I enjoy watching pitching. Probably because I watched a lot of the Braves games growing up because they were the only game on tv (one of the Turner channels).

I do enjoy watching Rugby, but catching the games is due to the best competition being in NZ and Aussi time zones.

I miss the old ESPN late night programing. It was really some random things like Sumo wrestling, lumberjack competitions, ping pong, among others.

Gold is a nice nap for sure, but I'd still rather have that on then the NBA.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
If you want a stupid reason, I could provide one for you...You could cheer for my local team, Halmstad BK in the Swedish Allsvenskan ( Top Swedish League).They're on a 6 game losing streak on the road and really needs your support this sunday, or else they are in danger of being relegated..
That sounds like it's less stupid than the reasons I typically have. I shall pledge my support for them this season. But when Halmstad starts losing in impossible, storybook ways, you'll know it was your doing for getting a Minnesotan involved.

• Haha
Reactions: Sweetnut

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
The Vikings really want NOTHING to do with Jaren Hall, do they? 🤣

The commercials kill it for me. A couple blokes tested it some time ago and the actual game time that you watch is like 15 total minutes during a whole 3 hour broadcast, or something like that.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
The commercials kill it for me. A couple blokes tested it some time ago and the actual game time that you watch is like 15 total minutes during a whole 3 hour broadcast, or something like that.
This one of the reasons why over the last couple of years ive found myself gravitating towards soccer more and more. Literally one commercial break during the entire game, that along with the constant action makes it great and a lot more interesting to me.

Reactions: Northerner

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
What happened?
I'm thinking he's relating that comment to the signing of Matt Corral, which IMO is unrelated. Matt Corral was signed to take QB reps in practice and preseason since Darnold is likely done touching the field in preseason and they don't want Mullens ant Hall splitting the entire games. Corral it's nothing more than an extra arm to put reps on. Nothing more.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just curious; how would you americans rank european football, or as you like to call it, soccer?
The way I understand it, your favorite sports are:
1. American football.
2. Basketball
3. Baseball
4.. Hockey
5 Everything else.
Well, believe it or not, we don't come out of a box, and aren't all the same. For me, it's;

1- hockey
2- EPL soccer
3- Football
3B- F1, especially now that Verstappen/Red Bull is getting challenged.
4- MLB (used to be higher, and do like the faster games, but all the strikeouts are hard to watch)
5- Hoops (mostly because the T Wolves were so bad, for so long, but the team looks promising)

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
My favorites:

S-Tier:
1. Hockey (badgers, wild, NHL playoffs, occasional gopher game if they play a team like NoDak, NCAA tourney)

A-Tier:
2. Football (packers, badgers, colts and cheering against the vikings/bears)

B-Tier:
3. Basketball (badgers, bucks, pacers, march madness)

C-Tier:
4. Baseball (brewers, mallards)
5. Soccer (USA olympic teams)

F-Tier (you would need to pay me to watch):
6. Nascar
7. Golf

Funny enough, my favorite movie of all time is a Rugby movie (Forever Strong). I don't follow or understand the sport though.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
My favorites:

S-Tier:
1. Hockey (badgers, wild, NHL playoffs, occasional gopher game if they play a team like NoDak, NCAA tourney)

A-Tier:
2. Football (packers, badgers, colts and cheering against the vikings/bears)

B-Tier:
3. Basketball (badgers, bucks, pacers, march madness)

C-Tier:
4. Baseball (brewers, mallards)
5. Soccer (USA olympic teams)

F-Tier (you would need to pay me to watch):
6. Nascar
7. Golf

Funny enough, my favorite movie of all time is a Rugby movie (Forever Strong). I don't follow or understand the sport though.
It's a brutal sport.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I'm thinking he's relating that comment to the signing of Matt Corral, which IMO is unrelated. Matt Corral was signed to take QB reps in practice and preseason since Darnold is likely done touching the field in preseason and they don't want Mullens ant Hall splitting the entire games. Corral it's nothing more than an extra arm to put reps on. Nothing more.
I thought they moved on from Mullens 😆

Shows how much I follow currently. I will be watching today though

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Just curious; how would you americans rank european football, or as you like to call it, soccer?
The way I understand it, your favorite sports are:
1. American football.
2. Basketball
3. Baseball
4.. Hockey
5 Everything else.

I feel that college hockey is the purest form at this point, and a nice pace compared to NHL. The NHL is almost too refined for me, though I still follow it.

1. Hockey
2. Golf, baseball, soccer (EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga)
3. All the rest

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Soccer (La Liga, EPL)
Hockey
Football
Golf (majors only really)

Then the rest.

In todays world if you can give me something with very little commercials ill find myself gravitating towards it more.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Well, believe it or not, we don't come out of a box, and aren't all the same. For me, it's;

1- hockey
2- EPL soccer
3- Football
3B- F1, especially now that Verstappen/Red Bull is getting challenged.
4- MLB (used to be higher, and do like the faster games, but all the strikeouts are hard to watch)
5- Hoops (mostly because the T Wolves were so bad, for so long, but the team looks promising)

I want F1 to be better. There is just so little passing that it sets it back for me. I've been to one F1 race, and it was the best sporting event experience I've ever had. The car and race were cool to see, but the passing at that trace is almost impossible. So the race was a sideshow more than the main event.

NASCAR has really fallen down my list. It used to be must see tv for me. Now I might look at the standings once every month or so.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I want F1 to be better. There is just so little passing that it sets it back for me. I've been to one F1 race, and it was the best sporting event experience I've ever had. The car and race were cool to see, but the passing at that trace is almost impossible. So the race was a sideshow more than the main event.

NASCAR has really fallen down my list. It used to be must see tv for me. Now I might look at the standings once every month or so.
Stage racing ruined NASCAR. Ok for local Saturday night tracks, terrible for the premiere national circuit.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Stage racing ruined NASCAR. Ok for local Saturday night tracks, terrible for the premiere national circuit.

Stage racing was the final nail in the coffin. The winged car (not the awesome 70's superbirds) and Chase were the start of the decline in interest for me.

Reactions: TaLoN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad