OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XII - Heeeeeeressss JJ! (Percy Harvin Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Just saying, it's not absolute. Though I guess if we all have to operating under the environment of what YOU think is going to happen, then sure, I guess it wouldn't be possible for you to be wrong.
Your environment has you pulling 5 wins from:

Giants - probably a win, but you guys always seem to choke against them

49ers - L, you don’t have Cousins to throw for almost 400 yards like last season

Texans - likely an L

Packers - likely an L, got smoked by them at the end of last year

Jets - tossup, the Rodgers effect

Lions - L, went 0-2 against them last year

Rams - going back forth between tossup and L

Where are the 5 wins coming from? Show me that environment.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Cousins went 16-5 and MN started 3-4 last year.
That's because he fumbled 7 times, losing 4 of them

1st 4 games, Kirk was directly responsible for 7 turnovers. The team went 1-3.
The next 4 games Kirk was responsible for 4 turnovers, the team went 3-1

Last edited:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
If he *was* healthy, he is for sure playing by week 8.
Except, when referring to a specific second person, "was" is the proper word... as was used. "He was mostly going to be a clipboard QB this year anyway”

View attachment 901171
The first sentence is the one that needed the subjunctive and triggered the mild confusion which has already wasted so much of our precious time.

Bottom line: the Vikes are a doomed franchise and always will be. Enjoy the season.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Your environment has you pulling 5 wins from:

Giants - probably a win, but you guys always seem to choke against them

49ers - L, you don’t have Cousins to throw for almost 400 yards like last season

Texans - likely an L

Packers - likely an L, got smoked by them at the end of last year

Jets - tossup, the Rodgers effect

Lions - L, went 0-2 against them last year

Rams - going back forth between tossup and L

Where are the 5 wins coming from? Show me that environment.
I'll fully admit that I had no knowledge of what the schedule was when I threw out 5-2.

I'm willing to wait until I see Darnold behind a good o-line, with good WRs and a good play caller before assuring his mid-season benching (which is now moot anyway).

All I was saying was that it was nowhere near guaranteed that McCarthy would've seen any meaningful field time if Darnold was playing well and the team was doing at least decently.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'll fully admit that I had no knowledge of what the schedule was when I threw out 5-2.

I'm willing to wait until I see Darnold behind a good o-line, with good WRs and a good play caller before assuring his mid-season benching (which is now moot anyway).

All I was saying was that it was nowhere near guaranteed that McCarthy would've seen any meaningful field time if Darnold was playing well and the team was doing at least decently.
There is pressure to see the kid from the fanbase. If you were to go 0-3 against the 49ers, Texans and Packers, there would be tremendous pressure to substitute McCarthy in regardless of if Darnold looks good or not.

Not to mention that KOC and Kwesi’s future with the Vikings organization are almost assuredly tied to McCarthy and how he does.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
There is pressure to see the kid from the fanbase. If you were to go 0-3 against the 49ers, Texans and Packers, there would be tremendous pressure to substitute McCarthy in regardless of if Darnold looks good or not.

Not to mention that KOC and Kwesi’s future with the Vikings organization are almost assuredly tied to McCarthy and how he does.
Pressure from the fanbases, sure... but this is KOC's show, and he has said this isn't about this year. He said this is about developing a young QB right and that the team was going to take it slow with him from day one.

EVERYTHING coming out of OTAs and training camp backed it up. Hell, the team's first depth chart after a week of camp had JJ not even clearly ahead of Nick Mullens, despite the fact that everyone knew he was ahead of Mullens.

The reason I said zero chance at starting week 1, was because I believe KOC has JJ's developmental interest as his #1 priority above all else, including this season's team results, and has KAM's backing 100% from the front office. They're more intent on doing it right for the future than anything else.

I believe his recovery is even being exaggerated to keep the fan noise off the subject, as even the longest recovery outlooks for this injury... which has occurred nearly a month before the season, would have him available come December. The team isn't worried about getting him in real games this year. KFAN was also speculating on this very thing on the PA show this morning just a bit before noon.

They may be looking at it as a blessing in disguise to keep your said fan pressure completely shut down.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Pressure from the fanbases, sure... but this is KOC's show, and he has said this isn't about this year. He said this is about developing a young QB right and that the team was going to take it slow with him from day one.

EVERYTHING coming out of OTAs and training camp backed it up. Hell, the team's first depth chart after a week of camp had JJ not even clearly ahead of Nick Mullens, despite the fact that everyone knew he was ahead of Mullens.

The reason I said zero chance at starting week 1, was because I believe KOC has JJ's developmental interest as his #1 priority above all else, including this season's team results, and has KAM's backing 100% from the front office. They're more intent on doing it right for the future than anything else.

I believe his recovery is even being exaggerated to keep the fan noise off the subject, as even the longest recovery outlooks for this injury... which has occurred nearly a month before the season, would have him available come December. The team isn't worried about getting him in real games this year. KFAN was also speculating on this very thing on the PA show this morning just a bit before noon.

They may be looking at it as a blessing in disguise to keep your said fan pressure completely shut down.
I appreciate the positive attitude. I just think that what they meant by it “isn’t about this year” was that McCarthy could have taken any lumps/learning lessons in games this year and not feel overly pressured to achieve win totals. Focus on the mechanics and the speed of the game. We saw a microcosm of that in the preseason game. Interception to 2 TD passes and 21 (?) offensive points during his time in the game.

McCarthy was already getting some 1st team reps at practice. He looked much better than Darnold IMO.

I’m just super bummed about it. I feel like I might be more bummed than a decent chunk of vikings fans on here and that’s just plain weird as a packers fan. He was the guy I was most intrigued to watch out of the rookie QBs. I tried watching Richardson the other day, as the colts are my second favorite team (graduated HS near Indianapolis), and he just wasn’t close to as much fun to watch.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I appreciate the positive attitude. I just think that what they meant by it “isn’t about this year” was that McCarthy could have taken any lumps/learning lessons in games this year and not feel overly pressured to achieve win totals. Focus on the mechanics and the speed of the game. We saw a microcosm of that in the preseason game. Interception to 2 TD passes and 21 (?) offensive points during his time in the game.

McCarthy was already getting some 1st team reps at practice. He looked much better than Darnold IMO.

I’m just super bummed about it. I feel like I might be more bummed than a decent chunk of vikings fans on here and that’s just plain weird as a packers fan. He was the guy I was most intrigued to watch out of the rookie QBs. I tried watching Richardson the other day, as the colts are my second favorite team (graduated HS near Indianapolis), and he just wasn’t close to as much fun to watch.

Probably because you have no real skin in the game as far as the team goes overall. McCarthy/Darnold is a lot like the Russel Wilson/Matt Flynn QB situation in SEA a years a go to me. The talented rookie QB and an uninteresting vet FA QB combo. The UW/Packer ties made it more interesting for me to watch from a far. The Vikings being the neighbor team make it interesting to watch from a far in a similar fashion.

The MN FO talks a good game, but really when you trade up to take a QB in the top of the draft and couple that with a cheap 1 year flyer on failed NFL starter. The intent is to get the kid into games sometime around midseason. If the kid isn't ready then you don't play him and the preseason talk was confirmed. If the failed NFL starter finds some magic then the kid sits and learns more.

The worst thing the FO could have done was say the kid is the week 1 starter before camp even started, or put a timeframe on him taking over the starting role during the season.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

He was the only reason I cared about the Vikings this off-season. I'm not saying that to be dramatic, I just care that little about the off-season (and the season unless they're playing well). I'm honestly mostly disappointed that he'll lose an important year of transition and development. This feels like a classic Vikings event.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Even if he was not going to start any meaningful number of games this season, he would still be practicing and continue building chemistry with his teammates. Even just taking reps against the scout team in practice to help prepare the team for games would go along way. Now that has all been put on hold. Sure, he can still participate in game film sessions and stuff like that, but there is no substitute to getting on the field with the guys.

It's not the end of the world for him. Just delays his development for a while.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He was the only reason I cared about the Vikings this off-season. I'm not saying that to be dramatic, I just care that little about the off-season (and the season unless they're playing well). I'm honestly mostly disappointed that he'll lose an important year of transition and development. This feels like a classic Vikings event.
What can go wrong, will go wrong :(
Even if he was not going to start any meaningful number of games this season, he would still be practicing and continue building chemistry with his teammates. Even just taking reps against the scout team in practice to help prepare the team for games would go along way. Now that has all been put on hold. Sure, he can still participate in game film sessions and stuff like that, but there is no substitute to getting on the field with the guys.

It's not the end of the world for him. Just delays his development for a while.
The upside is he is super young. He won’t turn 22 until January.

Will be interesting to see how this year turns out with Darnold. If he does well, will he be re-signed to a multi year contract?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Will be interesting to see how this year turns out with Darnold. If he does well, will he be re-signed to a multi year contract?

If the surgery/recovery goes well for McCarthy. Then unless Darnold is MVP quality this year I think any re-signing will be another 1 year contract for quality backup money.

The Vikings skill players on offence will still make it an ideal landing spot for any QB looking for a prove it type of deal. So they can go rather cheap on the vet QB again.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Baseball nicknames are so much better than hockey nicknames.

1723833246689.png

Reactions: BagHead

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Just curious; how would you americans rank european football, or as you like to call it, soccer?
The way I understand it, your favorite sports are:
1. American football.
2. Basketball
3. Baseball
4.. Hockey
5 Everything else.

Reactions: Northerner

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Just curious; how would you americans rank european football, or as you like to call it, soccer?
1. American football.
2. Basketball
3. Baseball
4.. Hockey
5 Everything else.

It's really:
1. football (pro)
2. football (college)

The rest of the rankings vary a bit by region. So NBA, MLB, NHL, NASCAR, MLS (growing fast in a few areas), and even college basketball could be ranked 3rd.

Reactions: Sweetnut

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
1. American football.
2. Basketball
3. Baseball
4.. Hockey
5 Everything else.
For me it's:
  1. Hockey
  2. Football/Soccer
  3. Basketball and (American) Football tied
  4. Baseball
I'm not sure I'd do an Everything else though. Parts of that Everything else probably come in above baseball, at the very least. I would put watching certain esports above all but hockey and soccer, for instance.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
It's really:
1. football (pro)
2. football (college)

The rest of the rankings vary a bit by region. So NBA, MLB, NHL, NASCAR, MLS (growing fast in a few areas), and even college basketball could be ranked 3rd.
That's what I thought, but only pro sports would qualify in my simple mind.
The thing about american football, why is it even called "FOOTball"? The majority of the game the ball is handled by a bunch of dudes carrying of throwing it by their hands. Only for a few seconds in a game we can see a foot making contacact with the "ball"

For me it's:
  1. Hockey
  2. Football/Soccer
  3. Basketball and (American) Football tied
  4. Baseball
I'm not sure I'd do an Everything else though. Parts of that Everything else probably come in above baseball, at the very least. I would put watching certain esports above all but hockey and soccer, for instance.
You're a true hockey nerd, just like me. Do you have a favourite european football club, or an MLS team?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The thing about american football, why is it even called "FOOTball"? The majority of the game the ball is handled by a bunch of dudes carrying of throwing it by their hands. Only for a few seconds in a game we can see a foot making contacact with the "ball"

You're a true hockey nerd, just like me. Do you have a favourite european football club, or an MLS team?
MLS: Well, Minnesota United, of course.
International: USA and Ireland
Europe: I don't really have a favorite club at the moment. I cheered for Swansea one year because I picked them at random. I don't cheer for Nottingham Forest, specifically - I knew a girl from there. If I had to pick a team to start cheering for right now, I would choose for stupid reasons like... West Ham, because I love ham. Or Newcastle because they're a team of referees.
I have very little knowledge of other European leagues besides the Premier League.

• Love

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
MLS: Well, Minnesota United, of course.
International: USA and Ireland
Europe: I don't really have a favorite club at the moment. I cheered for Swansea one year because I picked them at random. I don't cheer for Nottingham Forest, specifically - I knew a girl from there. If I had to pick a team to start cheering for right now, I would choose for stupid reasons like... West Ham, because I love ham. Or Newcastle because they're a team of referees.
I have very little knowledge of other European leagues besides the Premier League.
If you want a stupid reason, I could provide one for you...You could cheer for my local team, Halmstad BK in the Swedish Allsvenskan ( Top Swedish League).They're on a 6 game losing streak on the road and really needs your support this sunday, or else they are in danger of being relegated..

Wabit

May 23, 2016

The for football the ball is (about) the length of an adult male foot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad