Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Brent Burns reverse retro time.
Aho might have something to say about that
I noticed early on Barzy and Dobber having a symbolic partnership. Think it is only going to grow in time. I am not suggesting a Gretzky Coffey tandem but I was sort of only half joking that Noah is going to be Barzal’s #1 winger apologies to Aho

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I noticed early on Barzy and Dobber having a symbolic partnership. Think it is only going to grow in time. I am not suggesting a Gretzky Coffey tandem but I was sort of only half joking that Noah is going to be Barzal’s #1 winger apologies to Aho
Dobson has really grown into a high level of awareness on the ice. Barzal has the same, he just has flawed execution of it.

This is where Pulock has really deteriorated in value on the offensive side. He’s just inferior to Dobson and it’s noticeable that absent his shot, Pulock is pretty average offensively and as the game has gotten faster, it’s showing how slow his decision making and movement are in that role. Someone like Mayfield is perceived as a worse player to Pulock, but he keeps his offensive game simple, whereas Pulock is starting to look a little outmatched.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Dobson is just smooth af. Makes it look easy. Gotta love the confidence he has at such a young age, getting involved offensively. Crazy how he and Romanov are only 22 years old. Hopefully both of them stick around for a long, long time.

Likely before your time, but the pairing is a bit reminiscent of Malakhov and Kasparaitis back in the day. Kaspar was the wrecking ball and Malakhov was the 6'3" ultra talented offensive type. Of course Dobson doesn't seem like the underperforming enigma Malakhov was, but the big Russian was smooth in his movements like Dobber is.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Likely before your time, but the pairing is a bit reminiscent of Malakhov and Kasparaitis back in the day. Kaspar was the wrecking ball and Malakhov was the 6'3" ultra talented offensive type. Of course Dobson doesn't seem like the underperforming enigma Malakhov was, but the big Russian was smooth in his movements like Dobber is.

My earliest memories were the Kasper, Palffy Isles. Let us not forget the great Travis Green. But yeah all I remember from those days was Kasper just truck sticking people. Was beautiful. Romanov definitely has that similar trait. Not with the hip but he likes to lay the wood for sure.

Reactions: PWJunior

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Lots of ways to look at it, but I’d say Good win for the Isles. Still plenty to clean up and improve on, but the scary thing is, it seems possible, even likely, that those improvements can and will happen. Chemistry will further enhance what’s good, making it great. Could be headed for great things.

The Devils has Vladimir when he got good. Islanders had him as a raw kid.

Reactions: PWJunior

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Thank God for Gordie Clark and the NYR taking Kravtsov and not Dobson. :gift::phew:
I just read today that K'andre Miller is better than Dobson right now. That's what the kids call a "hot taek"

"Dobson is not as good as Miller at the moment, although they're obviously both still developing.

Miller has become extremely underrated on here because Fox gets all the attention and he doesn't see powerplay time.

Dobson has the edge offensively but Miller is elite defensively. Out of all top 4 D last season, only McAvoy and Slavin had a better defensive GAR. His shot suppression and zone exits are near the top of the league.

And if you don't favor the analytics, point to where a guy who's 6'6" and the best skating defenseman on his team isn't passing the eye test."

Reactions: doublechili

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I just read today that K'andre Miller is better than Dobson right now. That's what the kids call a "hot taek"

"Dobson is not as good as Miller at the moment, although they're obviously both still developing.

Miller has become extremely underrated on here because Fox gets all the attention and he doesn't see powerplay time.

Dobson has the edge offensively but Miller is elite defensively. Out of all top 4 D last season, only McAvoy and Slavin had a better defensive GAR. His shot suppression and zone exits are near the top of the league.

And if you don't favor the analytics, point to where a guy who's 6'6" and the best skating defenseman on his team isn't passing the eye test."

These f***ing homer Rags fans and their stupid overhyping bullshit are a joke. That's all they do, prop up their players because they're losers.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Malakhov had hof level physical talent, but so much else working against him. Some of it hockey sense, but who knows how much was character & how much was circumstance.

Dobson does not have that talent level, but also doesn't have those obstacles.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
That trade still makes the Vomit come up in the back of my throat!!!!!
Wow that happened to me yesterday when I took my cholesterol pill. Then I gleefully described it to my wife and kid!

What a bunch of holes!

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Dobson has a unique ability to get the puck on net regularly from the blueline through traffic. Very few defenseman are able to do it. Its something Nick Lidstrom did regularly, and he get so many assists and goals because of it.

He is sneaky at opening up seams. Now, he's downright lethal with his blasts from the point. His slapper is near Pulock velocity, but so much more accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike C

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Just want to add a Chara appreciation note here. It's no coincidence that Dobson broke out the year Chara was here. Chara has left a path of future potential Hall of Famers in his path...Hamilton, McAvoy, Dobson...I would have liked to have brought him back as a player coach...like play every 3 games for 8 minutes and mentoring the D.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Just want to add a Chara appreciation note here. It's no coincidence that Dobson broke out the year Chara was here. Chara has left a path of future potential Hall of Famers in his path...Hamilton, McAvoy, Dobson...I would have liked to have brought him back as a player coach...like play every 3 games for 8 minutes and mentoring the D.
would have to dress 7 D on those nights, especially since he'd spend 4 of his 8 in the penalty box

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022
Malakhov had hof level physical talent, but so much else working against him. Some of it hockey sense, but who knows how much was character & how much was circumstance.

Dobson does not have that talent level, but also doesn't have those obstacles.
I watched Malakoff entire career, ..he wasn't even a all star ...never mind hall of fame. Alot guys are tall, skate well, shoot well, and drafted in the top 3 of the entire draft, and never ha e a NHL career. Malakhov did pretty well for himself..even the smartest GM in the league wanted him on his team to help jersey win another cup.

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022
Turgeon & Malakhov for Mathieu Schneider, Craig Darby & Kirk fkin Muller. I'm having NAM flashbacks.
This trade, can best be explained by absentee ownership. A normal owner would never let his GM trade a franchise center, just so the GM could put his stamp on the team. If the Isles won the cup, it was going to be Bill Torrey getting the credit. Baloney found no joy in that and a strike shortened season gone bad, very similar to last year's season, gave Baloney the opportunity to put his stamp on the team. It was probably the best thing for Turgeon and Malakhov considering the team became the joke of the league immediately after, in fact not even wearing the islanders logo again for years. this is why you have to give Lou credit for keeping snows core. He very easily could of traded 70% of the team in first 12 months just to have "his guys"..

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

Turgeon & Malakhov for Mathieu Schneider, Craig Darby & Kirk fkin Muller. I'm having NAM flashbacks.

All I think of is non-stop playing NHL '94 when it came out with that lineup. Turgeon, Thomas, Hogue, Malakhov, Kasparaitis, Healy. Then I'd turn on line changes and watch Scott Lachance hop over the boards and suck.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I would love to bring him in under any capacity other than player. Ideally have him work with (or even take over for) Cairnsy as a player development director. Or maybe get him into coaching, possibly a minor league assistant position to start and he can go from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad