Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
Isles have plenty of capspace to sign Dobson, any offer will be matched.
First time I read that they are ready to match any offer.
Why not make a stance with a very good offer from the start which would avoid the agent from looking out elsewhere on the market?....specially when the cap space is there and the player is worth it...

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Why not make a stance with a very good offer from the start which would avoid the agent from looking out elsewhere on the market?....specially when the cap space is there and the player is worth it...
He will get paid. Not Trouba bucks, though.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Seems like manufacturing a controversy when none exists....

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
I agree with nor Trouba money....
My guess is that he will take 3x$6.5M

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
I had originally anticipated Dobson being on track for the first Pulock bridge contract + some growth, but I think his production and the market pretty much eliminated that.

Pulock in his final ELC year put up 10 goals 22 assists = 32 points (68 games) at 23 yrs old (had an extra ELC slide year) and got 2 yrs x 2 million.
Dobson in his final ELC year puts up 13 goals 38 assists = 52 points at 22 years old. My thought going into the season was 2 yrs x 3 million if he showed growth.

If Lou doesn't go long-term and goes with a bridge, is McAvoy's bridge the right comparison now?

He received 3 yrs x 4.9 million with that last year having the salary spike to 7.3 for the high QO. This resulted in his recent 8 yrs x 9.5 contract.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I had originally anticipated Dobson being on track for the first Pulock bridge contract + some growth, but I think his production and the market pretty much eliminated that.

Pulock in his final ELC year put up 10 goals 22 assists = 32 points (68 games) at 23 yrs old (had an extra ELC slide year) and got 2 yrs x 2 million.
Dobson in his final ELC year puts up 13 goals 38 assists = 52 points at 22 years old. My thought going into the season was 2 yrs x 3 million if he showed growth.

If Lou doesn't go long-term and goes with a bridge, is McAvoy's bridge the right comparison now?

He received 3 yrs x 4.9 million with that last year having the salary spike to 7.3 for the high QO. This resulted in his recent 8 yrs x 9.5 contract.
Three years ago, after his entry-level deal, MacAvoy received a 4.9M bridge and he was a 30-point D-man. After his entry-level deal, Dobson is a 50-something D-man. Salaries have gone up since MacAvoy signed his bridge.
Just hope Dobson's agent lives in 2019.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Sounds like the Islanders dodged one on the Kadri contract signing elsewhere. They now have space to sign Dobson and Romanov.

Rocnal

Aug 2, 2006
Question for the masses. A lot of people seem to think a long term deal at high AAV would be a lower risk option for the Isles. Is everyone convinced Dobson is a future top D-man? I think there is quite a bit of risk that he pans out as a second pairing guy who doesn't quite keep all the pieces together and a big contract wouldn't look great.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Question for the masses. A lot of people seem to think a long term deal at high AAV would be a lower risk option for the Isles. Is everyone convinced Dobson is a future top D-man? I think there is quite a bit of risk that he pans out as a second pairing guy who doesn't quite keep all the pieces together and a big contract wouldn't look great.

I think offensively he likely will be, but defensively I'm not sure. A lot of putting the cart before the horse when it comes to wanting a long term deal.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Considering the bridge deal Dobson signed, I'm fine with passing up on a long term/higher AAV deal. If his bridge came in at around 5.5M per, a longer term deal would have made more sense.

Defensively Dobson still needs to improve and he didn't look good in the first half of the season. He got most of his points when Ryan Pulock was out with injury and he was playing tons of minutes. I want to see how Dobson plays on a deeper defense and if he can sustain the offensive output while improving in his own zone.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Considering the bridge deal Dobson signed, I'm fine with passing up on a long term/higher AAV deal. If his bridge came in at around 5.5M per, a longer term deal would have made more sense.

Defensively Dobson still needs to improve and he didn't look good in the first half of the season. He got most of his points when Ryan Pulock was out with injury and he was playing tons of minutes. I want to see how Dobson plays on a deeper defense and if he can sustain the offensive output while improving in his own zone.
Dobson said he did a lot of lifting and put on some muscle/bulk. I'd like to see where he ultimately lands as far as his size. If he matures and fills out some, I'd be more inclined to put some eggs in his basket. But I get a little worried seeing a guy like him at 6'4 and at or under 200 lbs. There's still time for him to put on some man strength though and hopefully he does.

Reactions: Mike C

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Looking forward to his progression this year. He is going to beast.

The pessimist in me is worried about how much statistical progression Dobson actually has remaining.

Only 20 defensemen scored 50+ points last year, and it’s not like puck skills are a huge part of Dobson’s game. Any serious progression in points is going to come from surrounding him with a better team in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad