Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Oh I 100% preferred Ullmark.

I'd love to see these quotes, because I am 95% certain you are hiding context (like it referring to an unretained markstrom, or 10th overall)
I barely know how to quote the post above me, never mind going thru old threads and making multiple quotes
I know what I read, and that is that - I'd like to move on
Dealing with you & your fellow fans makes me glad its over, and I hope we don't have to do business again for quite some time.
If Markstrom does well, I sure hope you make a main thread about it though, saying how you are glad you were so wrong.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I barely know how to quote the post above me, never mind going thru old threads and making multiple quotes
I know what I read, and that is that - I'd like to move on
Dealing with you & your fellow fans makes me glad its over, and I hope we don't have to do business again for quite some time.
If Markstrom does well, I sure hope you make a main thread about it though, saying how you are glad you were so wrong.
It's really quite simple. You press the quote button, and then go to the thread you want to post in and hit "insert multiple quotes". You do it in every reply you make but cool deflection.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Heck he turns 40 in 2031! He's 34, not 35. Be accurate. Why do people insist on deception in an attempt to prove their point? If you think he isn't worth a 1st you're pretty clearly wrong. The market had multiple teams offering a 1st+. Who exactly are you pining for in the late 1st round of 2025? Is he going to contribute to your team that's entering a contention window in any meaningful way before 2030? It's a bad argument, but at least trade honestly.
Who were the other teams offering a first? I hope the trade works out but I would not have dealt a first....Guessing that was the result of the retention....Also thought Flames dropped the ball big time not trading him at deadline and we dodged a Fitz blunder as I believe he offered the first that at the time was maybe 20th overall....Plus a prospect....Keep in mind KK and Allen gave us 920 goaltending I think and our first still went to 10th

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
They're all playing the same game, and it's outright comical lol.

This is straight up ChatGPT.
I'm not sure what you're referencing. Is it how well-written my posts are? I don't even have a college degree, but I read like crazy and strive for accuracy in language. Hebrew only has 45,000 words. English has almost 1,000,000.

Trust me when I say you're better off just letting this one go lol
I never let things go. It's one of my many fine qualities...

Who were the other teams offering a first? I hope the trade works out but I would not have dealt a first....Guessing that was the result of the retention....Also thought Flames dropped the ball big time not trading him at deadline and we dodged a Fitz blunder as I believe he offered the first that at the time was maybe 20th overall....Plus a prospect....Keep in mind KK and Allen gave us 920 goaltending I think and our first still went to 10th
This is a good post. I agree we dropped the ball not moving him at the TDL. That's an ownership blunder. But the sunk cost fallacy is a real thing. We got a fair price for Markstrom. The other teams reported to be offering a 1st were Ottawa and Toronto. As I've said, I doubt Markstrom would have waived for Ottawa and think he would have for Toronto. That's just conjecture on my part.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
Hate this trade. Would have way rather given up Holtz when we have an abundance of firepower up front. But instead we gave up the only size we have on the backend, and one that wasn't even close to developed, for a stop gap at best.

P.S. this website is total shit with its ads popping up nonstop.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Hate this trade. Would have way rather given up Holtz when we have an abundance of firepower up front. But instead we gave up the only size we have on the backend, and one that wasn't even close to developed, for a stop gap at best.

I would have rather had Holtz than Bahl honestly. I think he'll score 20-30 for 7 or 8 years. Bahl is useful on the PK, but otherwise a pretty run of the mill bottom pairing guy from what I've seen to this point.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I'm not sure what you're referencing. Is it how well-written my posts are? I don't even have a college degree, but I read like crazy and strive for accuracy in language. Hebrew only has 45,000 words. English has almost 1,000,000.

I never let things go. It's one of my many fine qualities...

This is a good post. I agree we dropped the ball not moving him at the TDL. That's an ownership blunder. But the sunk cost fallacy is a real thing. We got a fair price for Markstrom. The other teams reported to be offering a 1st were Ottawa and Toronto. As I've said, I doubt Markstrom would have waived for Ottawa and think he would have for Toronto. That's just conjecture on my part.
Definitely agree with you on Ottawa but for most part feel he really wanted NJ especially after watching his interview....Seems he has a connection with Marty Brodeur and Marty with him....I think you guys will like Bahl he was not a finished product and like many young players just not consistent enough....If he can play angry on a game by game basis you guys will like him...I hope he gets more consistent.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

If the Devils were going to improve the defense this year, Bahl wasn't going to be in the lineup anyway. He was going to be a 7th D I'm assuming that Fitz is going to target a second pair dman. And in that situation, there's no clear indication of when Bahl was going to play. Luke, Siegs aren't going anywhere right now, I'd wager. Maybe the external acquisition is a stop gap, but if it's a guy with a few years of control, Bahl could have easily been stuck as a 7 D until there was a year left in his control.

Reactions: archiemandl

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Brave browser, whether on PC or phone. Download it and you wont have to do another thing. 100% game changer.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
like with the trade rumor back in January where flames fan's cried when they got push back against their fan forum with insiders were proven wrong and they couldn't deal with anyone telling them that.

Now its a repeat where facts and logic don't mater again for them.

I think it's because they have such a small fanbase on this forum that they aren't used to pushback.

Reactions: dgibb10

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Think this will work out well for NJ. Markstrom can be inconsistent but he can also be really good in front of a poor defence like he had in Calgary. NJ isn't a great defensive team, but they can score and I think he'll have them back in the playoffs and maybe even making some noise next year.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Just because you were wrong about the return is no reason to be wrong twice. You have a flawed definition of prospect. Here is how Merriam Webster defines it. If you're from across the pond I can post the Oxford definition for you:

a
: the act of looking forward : ANTICIPATION
b
: a mental picture of something to come : VISION
c
: something that is awaited or expected : POSSIBILITY
d prospects plural
(1)
: financial expectations
(2)
: CHANCES

If you need some help interpreting that it means a player who isn't finished their development. As an example, Danil Miromanov who will be 27 is still a prospect. Akira Schmid is still a prospect and is older than Bahl. Sam Bennett when we traded him to Florida at almost 25 years old was still a prospect.

You were already wrong once, no need to be wrong twice just to try to undo the past. Learn from your mistakes and move forward. If you do, tomorrow you'll be better than you are today.

Because if our pick isn't in the top 10 it goes to Montreal. I really don't want to be sending out pick 11-15 for one year of dumping Monahan. That would be the worst case scenario.

Sam Bennett was still a prospect after playing 402 regular season games (14:08 ATOI) over ~5.75 seasons in Calgary?

I get that people differ on the exact definition of ‘prospect’ but it has a generally agreed upon meaning that involves not being a full-time NHL for years.

And Miromanov will be 27, have 49 NHL GP and a 2 year/1.25m contract. Sorry, that’s not a prospect. He’s a fringy depth player. Maybe he thrives in a minor role in the NHL for a while but that can happen with fringe depth guys.

But I wouldn’t debate you calling Miromanov a prospect, if it’s really important to you. You do you.

However “Bennett was a prospect when he was traded to Florida” defies all logic. He wasn’t still a prospect because he was less productive and averaging less ice time in Calgary compared to Florida.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Lots of New Jersey fans and Eastern fans in general are going to be surprised at the level of player Markstrom still is. Was in discussions for the Vezina for the majority of the season up until the trade deadline, and was obviously a finalist 2 years ago. People will point to his bad year last year, but being an expecting dad and planning a wedding can definitely have their effects on such a mental position. He’s still a high level starter in this league.

Bahl’s intriguing. 23 going on 24 with his size profile are usually late bloomers, and I’ll never doubt Calgary’s current pro scouting team after some pretty massive hits with Sharangovich, Kuzmenko and Miromanov all in the last year. If there anything Calgary as an organization is good at, it’s developing defenseman as well. It’ll be intriguing how he fares for Calgary, they have a strong history at getting rapid improvements off defenseman taken from other teams.

This trade ages well for both teams I think. I pray Calgary gets a solid top 4 defenseman in free agency for Wolfs sake though, hate to have his confidence ruined by a weak defense corps as he enters the league. If Calgary rolls out something like this it’d still be a relatively strong corps:

Weegar-Andersson
Kylington-Skjei
Bahl-Miromanov

Bahl did well when he wasn’t given ridiculously difficult shutdown minutes on a loosey goosey team with forwards who weren’t doing him any favors.

He should be very nice d-man to have when he’s 25, I’m bummed to lose him.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Sam Bennett was still a prospect after playing 402 regular season games (14:08 ATOI) over ~5.75 seasons in Calgary?

I get that people differ on the exact definition of ‘prospect’ but it has a generally agreed upon meaning that involves not being a full-time NHL for years.

And Miromanov will be 27, have 49 NHL GP and a 2 year/1.25m contract. Sorry, that’s not a prospect. He’s a fringy depth player. Maybe he thrives in a minor roll in the NHL for a while but that can happen with fringe depth guys.

But I wouldn’t debate you calling Miromanov a prospect, if it’s really important to you. You do you.

However “Bennett was a prospect when he was traded to Florida” defies all logic. He wasn’t still a prospect because he was less productive and averaging less ice time in Calgary compared to Florida.
NJDs prospect pool is really stacked with guys like Jack Hughes and Nico Hischier then

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
It is extremely rare that a goalie as old as Markstrom gets traded for a 1st. Dgibb10 must be trying to come to terms with this, especially after his 'downfall of Markstrom' thread on the main forums (or whatever that dumb thread was called that was purposefully designed to show that Markstrom was somehow a bad goaltender, completely ignoring the fact that Calgary was awful defensively after the trade deadline).

Though Calgary did retain, they also did clear up additional valuable cap room through this deal. I wonder how they will utlize it. I wonder if Markstrom has a good or a bad year. Last year he was lights out and stole many games. The year before that, he lost many games on his own, costing the Flames a playoff spot. Flip a coin I guess. My bet is he does really well. When he is on, he is a goalie that you can win with.

I am not surprised that Markstrom returned the package that he did after watching him last season. The season before most Calgary fans thought he was a dead-weight contract that Calgary was stuck with. Last season some posters were aiming for the moon. That's how different his last 2 seasons were. However, I end up surprised when I find out how few goalies around his age have been traded for a package like that. Fitzgerald is doing what he can to save his job I think, but I do think it is the right move for the Devils too. As long as you guys stay healthy this year, I would expect a very strong season.

Reactions: The Grinder

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
It is extremely rare that a goalie as old as Markstrom gets traded for a 1st. Dgibb10 must be trying to come to terms with this, especially after his 'downfall of Markstrom' thread on the main forums (or whatever that dumb thread was called that was purposefully designed to show that Markstrom was somehow a bad goaltender, completely ignoring the fact that Calgary was awful defensively after the trade deadline).

Though Calgary did retain, they also did clear up additional valuable cap room through this deal. I wonder how they will utlize it. I wonder if Markstrom has a good or a bad year. Last year he was lights out and stole many games. The year before that, he lost many games on his own, costing the Flames a playoff spot. Flip a coin I guess. My bet is he does really well. When he is on, he is a goalie that you can win with.

I am not surprised that Markstrom returned the package that he did after watching him last season. The season before most Calgary fans thought he was a dead-weight contract that Calgary was stuck with. Last season some posters were aiming for the moon. That's how different his last 2 seasons were. However, I end up surprised when I find out how few goalies around his age have been traded for a package like that. Fitzgerald is doing what he can to save his job I think, but I do think it is the right move for the Devils too. As long as you guys stay healthy this year, I would expect a very strong season.
Fitzys job is pretty damn safe tbh. Got his extension last season and got the president title as well. It would take a lot for him to get removed. Honestly the only way I see it happening in the next 3-5 yrs is if he takes the president role full time and hands the GM role to Marty or Kate Madigan when either or are ready

Reactions: HBK27 and Reinhart

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Fitzys job is pretty damn safe tbh. Got his extension last season and got the president title as well. It would take a lot for him to get removed. Honestly the only way I see it happening in the next 3-5 yrs is if he takes the president role full time and hands the GM role to Marty or Kate Madigan when either or are ready
I stand corrected! Thanks.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I'm sure there were couple of reasonable flames fans that suggested the '25 1st with retention, but lets not act like that was the main narrative around here. Ever since the TDL (and really before it too) it was always the '24 pick, and even after the lottery people were asking everything from the 10thOA to Nemec, Mercer, Holtz and even combinations of those. So to act like a top10 protected '25 first with retention is what flames fans were asking all along is just bollocks. We can bump the old speculation threads.

That said I think the Devils overpayed a bit and this is a big win for CGY. Even if the Devils make the playoffs and Bahl is just a bottom3 dman, I think it's still good value for CGY. And there's potential for this to be huge if the Devils/Markström falls apart and/or Bahl becomes a solid top4 shutdown D.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Ever since the TDL (and really before it too) it was always the '24 pick
You mean like when the rumours heated up in January and February when the Devils were 2 points out of the playoffs and presumably wanted Markstrom to push them into that playoff position? The pick would have been at best the 17th pick.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Agree on all points- particularly the pop ups when you're trying to post a response.

Except for the Holtz part. Would have been equally disappointed if he were part of the deal.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Exactly. In retrospect both Luke and Nemec should have been in Utica where they could have worked on their complete games (specifically the defensive part of the game - including PK) instead of just getting the cookies.

But that doesn't sell apparel or generate "buzz".

if you ever thought for one instant that Luke and Nemec would spend long periods of time in Utica, you are out to lunch and just don't understand how the NHL works unfortunately. No teams leave their top 4 pick DMen in the minors for more than like half a season. It isn't a thing that realistically happens all that much.

Not to mention, who would have played if it weren't for those 2 last year? I shudder to think how the D looked WITHOUT those 2........

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
if you ever thought for one instant that Luke and Nemec would spend long periods of time in Utica, you are out to lunch and just don't understand how the NHL works unfortunately. No teams leave their top 4 pick DMen in the minors for more than like half a season. It isn't a thing that realistically happens all that much.

Not to mention, who would have played if it weren't for those 2 last year? I shudder to think how the D looked WITHOUT those 2........
if Hamilton hadn't gone down than Nemec probably would have stayed in the A for the year; but I also am glad he didn't as he began his adjustment sooner

Though I think it was noticeable in his defensive game as the season began to crawl to an end; that and he likely hit a wall physically

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
You mean like when the rumours heated up in January and February when the Devils were 2 points out of the playoffs and presumably wanted Markstrom to push them into that playoff position? The pick would have been at best the 17th pick.
We have more issues than goaltending last year and now...Allen and KK gave us very good goaltending and we continued to lose ....Same would have happened with Markstrom and Flames would have ended up having the 10th this year had the trade happened then....Fitz dodged a bad trade there....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad