Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Bahl is huge and ok but I don’t see much upside there. I think he is who he is. Still, it’s he’s a better piece than most of what the Flames had out there after they dismantled their blueline at the end of this season.

That 2025 pick is gonna be at the very end of the round. Baring health issues, the Devils will be a great regular season team next year. Just keep Hughes and Hamilton healthy. Meier was on a tear to end the year. People dug his grave way too early. It’s a loaded team and having the big Swede in next is going to be a night and day difference.

Fair deal for the Flames…Markstrom is a goalie, is older and not real cheap and they got a late first and a young depth defenseman. That’s solid work.

Absolute no-brainer for the Devils to bring a retained Marky on board at this price. Huge win for them.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Where are all the Devils fans at that said Markstrom wasn’t worth this? The goaltending market is coming back to life.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Eh, I think the piece they wanted for Markstrom was a first round pick, and they had to offer some salary retention to get it. Don't think it's a terrible deal for either team.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Devils fans... tell me about Bahl please.

Not much offense, but can handle the puck well enough for a guy his size. Can be effective when he uses his size and will occasionally play “mean,” but he doesn’t do that consistently enough.

Everyday NHL defenseman but just a “good” bottom pair guy.

Bond

May 10, 2012
"We are rebuilding. But we are rebuilding on the fly. But we also want to be playoff competitive. But we also want to be Stanley Cup contenders. But we also want to have a young team. But we also want a veteran team."
lol the closest a Canadian team will come to saying expect to suck

• Love
Reactions: GeeoffBrown

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
Bounce back year for Jersey. Don’t know about longevity. But if they run with Allen as a strictly back up option. That’s a good tandem

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
A 2nd and a crap prospect is effectively what Markstrom was traded for. There isn't much of a difference in value between a 2024 2nd and a 2025 1st, especially with how good the Devils look they'll be next year.
Huh? So he gets a 23 year old NHL defenseman and a 1st and you think that's not different than a 2nd and crap prospect? Can you become an NHL GM? I'll trade you my crap prospects and 2nd round picks for your NHL defensemen and 1st round picks.

Reactions: Canadienna

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yesterday I posted:

Markstrom unretained 32nd overall
Bahl 64th overall

With puckpedia's calculation of retention, I f***ing NAILED it.
Screen Shot 2024-06-19 at 12.39.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-06-19 at 12.40.06 PM.png

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Where are all the Devils fans at that said Markstrom wasn’t worth this? The goaltending market is coming back to life.
Its a fine deal for Calgary but “victory lapping” for a young depth defenseman and a possible/probable late 20’s 1st in over a year from now seems a bit absurd.

The Devils gave up no keystone asset here and got Markstrom retained.

That’s a big win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad