Value of: Nikolaj Ehlers to the Canucks

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I think Ehlers is a distressed assets and he's always been a favorite of mine.

Absolutely automatic zone-entry guy. Has been bad in the playoffs, which may decrease his perceived value, but guys often learn how to produce in the playoffs later in their career.

He's a year away from UFA so I'm not looking to blow the doors off with an offer.

What about something around a 2nd + Garland + (what?).

If he came extended at a reasonable rate I would be willing to make that last + into Hoglander who is a dynamic little forechecking torpedo who wins pucks he has no business winning and has has great puck skills in small areas, but doesn't necessarily use his linemates super well and has been passable at best as part of a system thus far.

Curious on the thoughts of others.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013

Absolutely automatic zone-entry guy. Has been bad in the playoffs, which may decrease his perceived value, but guys often learn how to produce in the playoffs later in their career.

He's a year away from UFA so I'm not looking to blow the doors off with an offer.

If he came extended at a reasonable rate I would be willing to make that last + into Hoglander who is a dynamic little forechecking torpedo who wins pucks he has no business winning and has has great puck skills in small areas, but doesn't necessarily use his linemates super well and has been passable at best as part of a system thus far.

If Chevy took that offer he would be GM of a beer league team in Tuktoyuktuk.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks would pass. That would leave them with Boeser and Ehlers to decide who to sign as UFA in 2025. Think, they'd opt for Boeser if it came down to them.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Canes fans: "Ehlers is a distressed asset that could help our team a lot and he will be cheap to acquire."

Sabres fans: "Ehlers is a distressed asset that could help our team a lot and he will be cheap to acquire."

Canucks fans: "Ehlers is a distressed asset that could help our team a lot and he will be cheap to acquire."
Isles fans: "Ehlers is a distressed asset that could help our team a lot and he will be cheap to acquire."
etc.

Jets fans: 🙄🤷

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Conor Garland is in pretty much every single VAN fan trade proposal. :laugh:

1720717028690.png

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
There's a pretty good chance the Jets would be looking to trade for a top 6 winger at the deadline to bolster the lineup if we move Ehlers, I'd rather just keep him as a self rental.

There's 0 chance we get anyone near as good even giving up a 1st + prospect at the deadline. No reason to give him up for a mid package like the one in the OP

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Wasn’t Garland’s value considered to be in cap dump territory recently? A 2nd doesn’t do much for us.

Yeah but things change and he's been extremely good, he was the key piece of the best third line in the league in the 23-24 season.

Garland has zero worth and a 2 nd is well short of making the Jets whole

This is false

This may not be enough but he certainly has value

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

You already had your chance to have him for nothing in 2014. Instead you ended up with Jake Virtanan

Anyway, start with a 1st and a B prospect at least since that's what he'll get at the TDL if he's on the market then

If he comes with an extension agreed to, it'll cost more than that

No interest in undersized wingers

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Wasn’t Garland’s value considered to be in cap dump territory recently? A 2nd doesn’t do much for us.
He had an awful start to the season, 7 points in his first 25 games and was rumored to want out. It turned out to be false.

He's paced 50 points per 82 games in his 3 years as a Canuck, almost entirely at even strength (125 out of 145) and while only playing 15 minutes per game. He's a fantastic player along the boards, using his low center of gravity to spin away from checks and relentlessly hound the puck. His biggest issue is that he plays far better with grinders than he does with skill players, so despite consistently producing at a top-6 level, he's better suited in the bottom 6.

He may not move the needle on Ehlers, but he's not a cap dump.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Conor Garland is in pretty much every single VAN fan trade proposal. :laugh:

View attachment 894147

Assuming a cap rise to 92 mil next year, the Canucks have about 14-15 million to re-sign Boeser, Hoglander and upgrade from there.

They might have 2-3 million in cap after resigning their players. Any larger move they make has to have Garland going back to make salaries work. Rentals can be squeezed in but I don't see the Canucks paying the rental price for Ehlers.

The Canucks are probably better off keeping Garland through his contract than paying to re-sign Ehlers to his next deal.

Reactions: bcbill and andora

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Canes fans: "Ehlers is a distressed asset that could help our team a lot and he will be cheap to acquire."

Sabres fans: "Ehlers is a distressed asset that could help our team a lot and he will be cheap to acquire."

Canucks fans: "Ehlers is a distressed asset that could help our team a lot and he will be cheap to acquire."
Isles fans: "Ehlers is a distressed asset that could help our team a lot and he will be cheap to acquire."
etc.

Jets fans: 🙄🤷
I haven't seen any Canes fans calling him a "distressed asset"...just not as valuable as an RFA Necas...

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He had an awful start to the season, 7 points in his first 25 games and was rumored to want out. It turned out to be false.

He's paced 50 points per 82 games in his 3 years as a Canuck, almost entirely at even strength (125 out of 145) and while only playing 15 minutes per game. He's a fantastic player along the boards, using his low center of gravity to spin away from checks and relentlessly hound the puck. His biggest issue is that he plays far better with grinders than he does with skill players, so despite consistently producing at a top-6 level, he's better suited in the bottom 6.

He may not move the needle on Ehlers, but he's not a cap dump.

I wouldn’t even say an awful first 25 games. He wasn’t good the first couple weeks but then played well despite the production not being there until later. TBH I’m not sure if Garland for Ehlers even makes the team better tbh. Garland showed he could run his own line that performed like a second line this year. Ehlers is a better player but I’m not sure if he could do the same for the third line. He’d be a better top 6 option, but when healthy, Pettersson makes whoever he plays with good enough to outscore opponents and Miller-Boeser is also a good line. Does making one of those lines better matter more than sacrificing the third line? I’m not so sure.

Garland likely has more value to the Canucks as currently constructed than for any other team.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Looks like the Canucks should keep Garland and stay away from Ehlers.

I’d be fine with that tbh. I’d love to have Ehlers, but I don’t think swapping Garland for Ehlers makes the team any better when you factor in the raise Ehlers will get. He was also way better in the playoffs than Ehlers has ever been

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
For me:

- I like Garland generally speaking, always have.

- I like Ehlers, always have.

- Last five years Ehlers has missed 50 games more then Garland, so about 10 games per year on average. IMO its a factor but not a huge one. His one period he missed a big number was a broken collar bone (IIRC).

- Same age

- Ehlers has one year term vs Garland who I think has three (damn I miss capfriendly already), depends if a contract is extended with Ehlers or not how that effects the values.

- Ehlers gets criticized for his playoff production (14 pts in 37 games), but TBH Garland is no different (7 pts in 21 games).

- I certainly don't consider Garland a cap dump, I think he's a good player for his role. Ehlers is a good player for his role. Both players play different roles on their teams.

- For me, I just don't know if Garland would be a good fit in the Jets top 6 and the Jet's don't need a 3rd winger. Garland is more of a grinder then Ehlers, Ehlers is more a speed guy with elite zone exits & entries, he excels playing that type of game. Garland is more suited for a grinder line IMO, Jets don't have a top 6 grinder line and don't want to pay Garland cap hit to play him in the bottom 6.

IMO, just not a great fit for the Jets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad