Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] D Brock Faber signs extension with the Wild (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
He had 47 points his rookie year! Drew Doughty has never exceeded 60 points.

If he’s putting up even slightly bigger offensive numbers then that and continuing to improve his overall game, he would be worth a ton of money.
Well, he is getting a ton of money already. To be fair, league scoring is up by a significant margin since Doughty's prime. In 2015-2016, Jamie Benn won the Art Ross with 89 pts. He would've been tied at 20 this past season. When Doughty scored 60 pts in 2018 the highest scoring D were having 68,67,67 pts. This season 92,90,85 pts.

I don't think Faber will be as good as Doughty offensively, but overall it's not a bad comparable.

What I'm saying is there wasn't a ton of risk in signing him at the end of next season when his ELC expires. When I'll do my fantasy draft next septembre/october, I won't be counting on Faber producing 50+pts.

Reactions: Regal

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Smart move by the Wild, even if it feels a bit rich now. This is what I felt the Oilers should have done with Bouchard, but I think they were a bit more cap constrained. Faber will be really good for a long time.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Smart move by the Wild, even if it feels a bit rich now. This is what I felt the Oilers should have done with Bouchard, but I think they were a bit more cap constrained. Faber will be really good for a long time.
If Bouchard signed a 8 years deal before the bridge deal, he would probably get 6.5M x 8 years. That's during the flat cap era.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Wow, wasn't expecting that much. If he continues to improve though, this deal will look like a bargain.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
How much more??? You believe he can be the best defenceman in the league in a year or two?

In a year or two, the cap will increase (possibly by quite a bit) and salaries will become more inflated. Getting this deal done before the increases, creates good value over the long term.

I think Faber has the potential to be in the Norris conversation for multiple seasons not too far off in the future.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
This contract will only look a little high in the first year or two. The last six will show it to be a great contract if Faber continues to progress like he has. Reminds me of how people viewed Josh Morrissey's contract when he first signed that one.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Probably $8.51M

We'll do this again:

In the fall of 2023 (less than a year ago), Jake Sanderson signed for 8 years at 9.6% of the current cap at the time and Owen Power signed for 8 years at 10% of the current cap at the time. Cap at the time was $83.5M.

9.6% of the current $88M cap would be $8.48M; 10% of the current cap would be $8.80M. So you can realistically say that those numbers should be ceiling and floor of his negotiations. And crazily enough, he ended up between those two numbers.
Power signed for 7 years, not 8. And Power is a one-way offensive defenseman (so far), while Sanderson and Faber are more well-rounded.

I think Sanderson, Power, and Faber are pretty different types of players, but agree that there aren't a lot of comparable contracts so that's the closest data points that you're going to find.

Like others have said; He, Sanderson and Power are all cut from the same cloth.
Faber is nothing like Owen Power, but Sanderson isn't a bad comparable.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Power signed for 7 years, not 8. And Power is a one-way offensive defenseman (so far), while Sanderson and Faber are more well-rounded.

I think Sanderson, Power, and Faber are pretty different types of players, but agree that there aren't a lot of comparable contracts so that's the closest data points that you're going to find.

Yeah, my thing was just finding the recent high-profile defensemen that signed long-term (7 or 8 years) off of their ELCs. Before them, I think Heiskanen was the next.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

I think he meant the “quality” of the cloth and the contract…definitely not the “pattern”. ;)

That is insane he has done nothing to warrant this contract. ouch.

Yeah being the #1 defenseman on a team while logging 25 minutes a night in all situations and still being a top 30 point producer sure is “nothing”.

I’d hate to hear how badly you’d rate the other young defensemen who have gotten basically the same extensions. Bunch of unproven nobodies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Aaron Ekblad was recieving norris votes as an 18 year old btw
Because he was a 1st overall pick. Dude did not have a Norris caliber rookie campaign. 30th in defenseman points, outside the top 50 in average TOI. He had a great rookie season but deserved 0 Norris votes.

Look at some of the top dmen that year. Doughty and Suter averaged over 29 mins a game. Karlsson and Subban both had excellent years. Josi, Weber, Keith, Carlson, Letang, Giordano were all very productive.... Ekblad was nowhere near the best dman. Hell, he wasn't even the best rookie defenseman.

Reactions: MuckOG

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Because he was a 1st overall pick. Dude did not have a Norris caliber rookie campaign. 30th in defenseman points, outside the top 50 in average TOI. He had a great rookie season but deserved 0 Norris votes.

Look at some of the top dmen that year. Doughty and Suter averaged over 29 mins a game. Karlsson and Subban both had excellent years. Josi, Weber, Keith, Carlson, Letang, Giordano were all very productive.... Ekblad was nowhere near the best dman. Hell, he wasn't even the best rookie defenseman.
Does your analysis go no deeper than TOI??

Why does Faber get credit that for the fact most of the season the only other RHD on Minnesota was Zach Bogosian.

• Haha
Reactions: beowulf

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Does your analysis go no deeper than TOI??

Why does Faber get credit that for the fact most of the season the only other RHD on Minnesota was Zach Bogosian.
I spent 2 mins looking at it. Go ahead and make the case that Ekblad deserved Calder votes.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
YEs one good season as a rookie is worth that $8.5M per years for 8 years...nope.
The idea is to lock young players up before they breakout. There is obviously risk, but it's the only way to get good value in a cap world, and to "underpay" your stars a bit.

If you wait to pay everyone until after they have their best season, you'll be in cap trouble quickly and will not do well in this league over the longer run.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The idea is to lock young players up before they breakout. There is obviously risk, but it's the only way to get good value in a cap world, and to "underpay" your stars a bit.

If you wait to pay everyone until after they have their best season, you'll be in cap trouble quickly and will not do well in this league over the longer run.
I know and this is what the NHL has so many bad contracts and overpaid players. Singing them for large amount for max term has hurt the NHL more than it has helped.

• Haha
Reactions: 123TripleDoge

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I know and this is what the NHL has so many bad contracts and overpaid players. Singing them for large amount for max term has hurt the NHL more than it has helped.

Signing older players, guys on the cusp of the sunset of their careers to long, expensive deals seems to be an NHL tradition. Few of the younger player deals have proven bad due to level of play. Injury? Sure, but performance has not been an issue for these on younger players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad