Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Yes, he does. Some members of the media don't like him like that guy from Sports net. Some, but not everyone perhaps. I don't live in Canada so I have never been to a game.
Ic well good luck with moving him and don't be surprised if you need to sweeten him with a pick or player. However nothing set in stone another GM might see something he likes. Cheers

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
A lot more objective than you saying he's better " because I say so" :shrug:
Possibly, but it depends on the quality of the satisical analysis and the methodology employed. If just present stats from some web site I doubt that they would be more objective.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Shattenkirk wanted to go Rangers and it diminished his trade value. Look back what Blues get from Shattenkirk.

But ofc you've to understand Shattenkirk > Zaitsev

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I wonder if the trade request is being so heavily publicized because it works to the Leafs advantage. It makes it seem like they may not want to move him when I'd guess that they'd gladly take a Mulligan on that contract.

If they were just shopping him, it might further the perception that of course you're shopping him, he's got a bad contract.

I am not suggesting that the trade request is not genuine, only that teams usually try to keep trade requests quiet as to not lose trade leverage.

Reactions: The Podium

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I wonder if the trade request is being so heavily publicized because it works to the Leafs advantage. It makes it seem like they may not want to move him when I'd guess that they'd gladly take a Mulligan on that contract.

If they were just shopping him, it might further the perception that of course you're shopping him, he's got a bad contract.

I am not suggesting that the trade request is not genuine, only that teams usually try to keep trade requests quiet as to not lose trade leverage.

Seems unlikely that anyone would be swayed by a few recent news articles about this when there are a mountain of articles prior to this about how they need to dump that terribad contract and his poor play. You also assume that GM's know exactly what he is (and isn't) for what he makes without relying on the TOR media for valuation advice.

It might make it easier for fans to swallow if their team is the unfortunate one that ends up with him, but I doubt it had any effect on getting a trade done

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Shattenkirk wanted to go Rangers and it diminished his trade value. Look back what Blues get from Shattenkirk.

The situations are nothing alike. Shattenkirk was traded as a rental and was obviously a more desirable asset. The Leafs aren't expecting to get value out of a Zaitsev trade, they just want him out (and the feeling is mutual).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

I think the trade request is legitimate. Zaitsev did an interview in Russia 2 days ago where he bashed how the media (and I guess fans) treat the d-men.

However, it's not a coincidence that hours after this news broke, Dubas did a press availability, saying that they liked his game the 2nd half of the year, and he's paid reasonably for a long time, and it's not a situation where he for sure wouldn't be back.

It's no longer just Kyle Dubas calling teams shopping this player just to do it, but rather Dubas, and Zaitsev's agent calling teams saying that it's Nikita who wants a trade.

It definitely gives Dubas a better angle.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I think the trade request is legitimate. Zaitsev did an interview in Russia 2 days ago where he bashed how the media (and I guess fans) treat the d-men.

However, it's not a coincidence that hours after this news broke, Dubas did a press availability, saying that they liked his game the 2nd half of the year, and he's paid reasonably for a long time, and it's not a situation where he for sure wouldn't be back.

It's no longer just Kyle Dubas calling teams shopping this player just to do it, but rather Dubas, and Zaitsev's agent calling teams saying that it's Nikita who wants a trade.

It definitely gives Dubas a better angle.

Did you read the article? He was complaining about his utilization, about being a two-way D who's been forced into a being a defensive D, and getting trashed for his shortcomings in that role (one he doesn't want) specifically for +/- and how Cherry blasted him on national TV.

Its basically a Babcock criticism. He even mentions anytime he's headed into the offensive zone he's called off, and this is from a guy who we signed as a two-way D who actually produced in his first year.

The article even points out that Russia utilizes him properly to where he's a leader at both ends of the ice.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Shattenkirk was also in the last year of his contract.
Copley has done pretty well.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Plays top four min.check
Rhd .check
Playoff advanced stats pretty decent.check
Shut down Boston's top line better than Seth jones.check
Wears a leafs jersey...negative value.

Never change hf.

If he is as good as you say he is, why would Toronto be looking to trade him? He's their only RHD, their biggest position of need

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If he is as good as you say he is, why would Toronto be looking to trade him? He's their only RHD, their biggest position of need

He uh, requested a trade.

Oh, and we need to free up cap space somehow.

He was quite good beside Muzzin when he didn't need to cover for Gardiner.

That said, I am not going to pretend that he is going to garner a big return (it will be a soft deal as Lebrun, McKenzie, and Friedman have indicated) or that I will be upset when he is dealt.

However, his reputation here is harsh to what he is. Babcock uses him as a shut down guy, when he is more of an offensive zone, 2nd powerplay guy.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Damien Cox writes an article today. Writes three times that Zaitsev only has four years left on his deal (it's 5). That idiot can't even check his facts.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Shattenkirk was also in the last year of his contract.
Copley has done pretty well.
Another key difference is that Shattenkirk was an actually decent player, where Zaitsev has been garbage for back to back seasons now

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Take a second and read the title of the thread again

Yes of course its only that he wants to be traded and not because people have been bitching about the discrepancy between level of play and contract length/dollars forever

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Whatever team(s) miss out Myers, will most likely look at Zaitsev.

Sorry to the fan base that will be ecstatic they missed out on Myers, only to get Zaitsev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad