Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Jack Johnson got a 5 year deal for less money last season but he was 4 years older than Zaitzev is now. Erik Gudbranson will probably get 4-5 years this summer from some dumb GM.

Yes and they are all bad contracts and their gms regret it. GMs won’t trade for bad contracts. They might sign ufa’s to bad contracts. But not trade for one.

Otherwise, can I interest you in Alzner, Lucic, Sekera, Manning etc?

Reactions: Marshall

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The problem is only that novice hockey fans put stock into player metrics, a tracking system that actually misses far more data than in actually records.

The fact this needs to be explained to you means you’re incapable of performing an eye test.

“Analytics, what a thing... a lot of people making money off that (chuckles) ... good for them!” - Mike Babcock
For once, I agree with Babcock, especially when he almost implies it might be a scam.

Analytics are a crutch for people who can't appreciate what they're seeing.

Reactions: sparxx87

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Toronto fans/the media actually think he has value? He actually has negative value...

Or maybe the voices in your head...because it looks like the vast majority of people concede that the Leafs would have to take some $$ back and/or send a pick as a sweetener to make any prospective deal for him work.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Or maybe the voices in your head...because it looks like the vast majority of people concede that the Leafs would have to take some $$ back and/or send a pick as a sweetener to make any prospective deal for him work.

I just listened to Button say otherwise on TSN, T.O's media is either delusional or theyre being paid to pump Zaitsev's tires.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
From what I've read, Leafs want to move him, don't want to be taking cap back, and actually want something of value for him.

Good luck with that.

Reactions: thedustman

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Kadri + Zaitsev for Brodie + Jankowski

Flames get a big upgrade down the middle, in exchange for taking on Zaitsev’s contract. Zaitsev isn’t great but he’s cost controlled and I wouldn’t be worried about a Valimaki/Zaitsev bottom pairing, what so ever.
Leafs get a big upgrade on the backend, save $2.67 million, this year, with the opportunity to erase the Zaitsev contract completely at the end of the season or resign Brodie.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
If Zaitsev is flexible about where he will go it shouldn't be too hard to move his contract.

4.5M cap hit for 5 years but is owed an average of 3.9 per year in real dollars after collecting 3M signing bonus on July 1st.

That's Ian Cole, Gudbranson, Kulikov, De Haan UFA type money. All deals signed in recent off-seasons. All guys coming off bad seasons (similar to Zaitsev) when they signed those deals. Zaitsev also looked a lot better after switching to playing Muzzin instead of Gardiner which I bet intrigues some GM's.

The options for UFA Dmen is also brutal this off-season so I'd expect some GM to take a shot on him.

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
A lot of people saying(hoping?) he has negative value/ no interest. I'm not convinced that's the case, but I guess we'll find out soon.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Am I the only one amused that the entire Stanley Cup final thread is at like 2500 posts while a thread on Zaitsev is at 944 posts in 26 hours?
There is a Stanley Cup? Who is in it? Growlers up 3-1 in the prestigious Kelly Cup Final though with a 4-2 win tonight over Toledo.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Jack Johnson got a 5 year deal for less money last season but he was 4 years older than Zaitzev is now. Erik Gudbranson will probably get 4-5 years this summer from some dumb GM.
Gudbrandson has two years left and won't be getting anything this summer.

He's not eligible for a new contact until 2020.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
If Zaitsev is flexible about where he will go it shouldn't be too hard to move his contract.

4.5M cap hit for 5 years but is owed an average of 3.9 per year in real dollars after collecting 3M signing bonus on July 1st.

That's Ian Cole, Gudbranson, Kulikov, De Haan UFA type money. All deals signed in recent off-seasons. All guys coming off bad seasons (similar to Zaitsev) when they signed those deals. Zaitsev also looked a lot better after switching to playing Muzzin instead of Gardiner which I bet intrigues some GM's.

The options for UFA Dmen is also brutal this off-season so I'd expect some GM to take a shot on him.
If a team was looking for a bottom pairing 4m dollar Dman, why wouldn't they just trade for one of the guys you mentioned, who are all better than Zaitsev and signed for significantly less term?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad