Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
quick pass. adding a dman that costs 2+ more doesnt do much

Something involving Kapanen for Pionk could probably be worked out though

If the 2nd is in 2020 I'd probably do it.

but only if Marleau is also gone.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Considering we have had suggests on this board saying the oilers would need to add a first to move Russell for anything more than a late pick. I imagine the same is for this guy if not more because he has 5 years left

Well the leafs will just keep him until they find something worthwhile to trade him for. I wouldn't be shocked if they go into next year and he's still on the team

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
yeah yeah, and its tough because the joker left us with nearly 11mil in cap to a 3rd line vet and a #4-#5 dman that now wants out.

leafs are tight for 1 year. cap will go up a few mill, marleaus contract will expire and they wont have any major rfa to sign aside from dermott. things will be fine. book it
I appreciate you as one of the better Leaf posters... but have you really not seen the pendulum swing since he took over?

For me, it was always bound to get messy when you give a side kick the starring role.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
He's a 2nd pairing RHD, if he was a UFA he'd go for 4 million. Look at what Cole/Demers/Russell/Girardi got and he's more capable than any of them

Girardi, Cole, Demers and Russell are all 3rd pairing d-man.

Russell is considered as a cap dump for the majority of EDM Fans AND, is paid 4M (500K less than Zaitsev) for 3 less years. So yah, GL gettign a GM to take on Zaitsev w/out adding anything significant to him.

Leafs fans are out to lunch if they think ANY team will take him out of their hands for anything short of Sandin or Liljegren

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I dont think a Zaitsev trade taking back bad salary in return will work for Toronto.

Considering Z plays our most needed position, we arent gonna move him for deadweight salary up front.

I could see the move being one of two types of deals...

Either a small 1 for 1 trade for a cheap LWer with a big body like a:
Zaitsev for N.Ritchie OR Zaitsev for Micheal Dal Colle OR Zaitsev for Lawson Crouse

Or it could be involved in a bigger trade where the leafs get their top pairing d man like a:
Trouba for Zaitsev, AJ, Kapanen OR Ekblad for Zaitsev, AJ +....

In this deal Winnipeg would probably need a capable top 4 RD back when they lose Trouba.

And why would a GM send a cheap top9 LWer for a cap dump?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Russell is considered as a cap dump for the majority of EDM Fans AND, is paid 4M (500K less than Zaitsev) for 3 less years. So yah, GL gettign a GM to take on Zaitsev w/out adding anything significant to him.

Leafs fans are out to lunch if they think ANY team will take him out of their hands for anything short of Sandin or Liljegren
Who is out to lunch?

You’re suggesting they give up their top prospect to dump a marginally overpaid top 4 rhd? That makes sense to you? :laugh:

You should probably familiarize yourself with the situation and all the pieces involved before you come make foolish comments like that.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

~4 million is what's defensemen worse than Zaitsev already go for. Considering he's an RHD and has the mobility and offensive game to play in the top 4 he's worth more than them. He'd actually be a positive addition to a team that has capable defensemen in front of him and is willing to play him to his strengths.

He won't cost an A level prospect to get rid of when you'll see plenty of similar defensemen get similar deals this offseason

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Would Toronto have any interest in Michael Stone as a cheap (to acquire) replacement? 1 year left on his deal. Still an NHL defenceman I think, he's just been pushed out of Calgary's lineup due to the success of our young guys.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Yeah he has heavy defensive zone usage because he can't transition the puck to save his life.

His 5v5 zone starts is not that drastic at 58% compared to 42% in the offensive zone.
He can't get the puck out of his own zone with control. A win for him is icing the puck, or flipping it out to center and hoping he can get a change in so it isn't his problem anymore.
His shot suppression sucks
He is a massive drag on his team 5v5 and that isn't debatable.

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Take a look at his usage. No PP time and heavy DZ and PK minutes. That's why.

"No PP time"...lol this had me dying, it's almost like there's a reason for that...he he has no offense to his game.

So in other words, a bottom pairing dman gets bottom pairing dman deployment.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Who is out to lunch?

You’re suggesting they give up their top prospect to dump a marginally overpaid top 4 rhd? That makes sense to you? :laugh:

You should probably familiarize yourself with the situation and all the pieces involved before you come make foolish comments like that.

Zaitsev is not a top 4 RHD, that's the problem.

His advance stats and metrics SHOW he's not, and has never been, a top 4 RHD. Eye test isn't better

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Zaitsev is not a top 4 RHD, that's the problem.

His advance stats and metrics SHOW he's not, and has never been, a top 4 RHD. Eye test isn't better
The problem is only that novice hockey fans put stock into player metrics, a tracking system that actually misses far more data than in actually records.

The fact this needs to be explained to you means you’re incapable of performing an eye test.

“Analytics, what a thing... a lot of people making money off that (chuckles) ... good for them!” - Mike Babcock

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yeah he has heavy defensive zone usage because he can't transition the puck to save his life.

His 5v5 zone starts is not that drastic at 58% compared to 42% in the offensive zone.
He can't get the puck out of his own zone with control. A win for him is icing the puck, or flipping it out to center and hoping he can get a change in so it isn't his problem anymore.
His shot suppression sucks
He is a massive drag on his team 5v5 and that isn't debatable.

He was a solid transition player his rookie year. Then Babcock decided to make him Gardiner's babysitter. Something happened between the rookie year and the next two years where Zaitsev just stopped carrying the puck and only chipped it out. I don't think it's reasonable to expect a player to forget how to skate with the puck or make a short pass, it's much more likely that it was a systemic call from the coaching staff.

Can you show us your work for him being a drag 5v5?

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
The problem is only that novice hockey fans put stock into player metrics, a tracking system that actually misses far more data than in actually records.

The fact this needs to be explained to you means you’re incapable of performing an eye test.

“Analytics, what a thing... a lot of people making money off that (chuckles) ... good for them!” - Mike Babcock

Where did you dig that one up? Babcock is a vocal supporter of analytics. He knows that it has its limits but he understands that it's a valuable tool.

Mike Babcock on analytics, making the Leafs an attractive destination, and much more | Maple Leafs Hotstove

"What is your philosophy on analytics?

I love it. What I love about it is I love information. What I’ve tried to do is surround myself with as many young, smarter people than me, more learned in that area than me, and they give you information. Sometimes, the information they give you, you don’t think it’s very good, but lots of times it’s great ideas..."

You're delusional if you think analytics isn't being used by every team in the league.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Where did you dig that one up? Babcock is a vocal supporter of analytics. He knows that it has its limits but he understands that it's a valuable tool.

Mike Babcock on analytics, making the Leafs an attractive destination, and much more | Maple Leafs Hotstove

"What is your philosophy on analytics?

I love it. What I love about it is I love information. What I’ve tried to do is surround myself with as many young, smarter people than me, more learned in that area than me, and they give you information. Sometimes, the information they give you, you don’t think it’s very good, but lots of times it’s great ideas..."
Team analytics aren’t the same as player analytics.

They’re two very different things. One provides useful information relative to the game... the other is very much incomplete.

The specific quote I added was from an interview last summer, shortly after the Dubas hiring.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
"No PP time"...lol this had me dying, it's almost like there's a reason for that...he he has no offense to his game.

So in other words, a bottom pairing dman gets bottom pairing dman deployment.

/sigh Zaitsev led the Leafs in TOI SH and 4th on the team 5 on 5 (3rd if you didnt include Muzzin) ahead of Hainsey
He's a 20min a night 2nd pairing defender who never played with anyone responsible defensively. ...Muzzin was pretty bad in his short time, and I hope it was just him trying too hard to impress, and not what we should expect next year

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
How about you guys give us Quinn Hughes to take on Loui Ericksson. See how ridiculous that sounds.
If it meant that we could resign our 90+ point player because we had no cap, then maybe. I would also think that Hughes and his .6 pts/gm in his small NHL stint in D+1 year, put him ahead of Lil's .36 pts/gm in the AHL in D+2.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Arizona has less cap space than Toronto.
With 20 players signed and Crouse being the only player of any repute to sign. Unlike Toronto who still have 3 top 6 forwards to sign and should be looking to improve their D as well.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Lots of talk about Vancouver looking for RHD. They have cap space. I’m calling Zaitsev to the Canucks. Something like Schaller (cap dump) + Goldobin.
Toronto seems to be on the hunt for cheap forwards with potential. I think Goldobin could be a good fit and could use a fresh start.
I would need to have something of value coming back to make this worth while. That term is the issue. Schaller has a 2 year $466,000 buy out. If the Canucks are going to bring in a RHD I would prefer a short term show-me deal for Schenn. Offers similar value to Z at probably half price and 1 or 2 year term. I would want a pick/prospect to take on the Z contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad