Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Zaitsev had an interview in Russia a few days ago. The translation probably isn't great but he talks about feeling like an outcast after making mistakes. And said:

“Everyone said that the defense of Toronto was ****,” he said to “Everybody wanted Mazzin. But he began to smear the next day. You just need to understand that this is Toronto. You will be defrauded anyway, because you are a defender.”

He always had the reputation of being somewhat of a sensitive guy, I think a big part of him wanting out is to go to a quieter market. Not everyone can handle Toronto.
Link it so we can all see for ourselves. I want to read it. All I read about Zaitsev is he likes and respects Babcock(link above this post), and an Eronko tweet(he is a very solid source) here that vaguely suggested he is not satisfied in his role in Toronto no longer. But is still willing to stay. None of the the quotes about the Toronto pressure you implied.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Link it so we can all see for ourselves. I want to read it. All I read about Zaitsev is he likes and respects Babcock(link above this post), and an Eronko tweet(he is a very solid source) here that vaguely suggested he is not satisfied in his role in Toronto no longer. But is still willing to stay. None of the the quotes about the Toronto pressure you implied.

Yes agents aren't likely to feed sources information about their client being sensitive to media pressures, doesn't make them look very good.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Link it so we can all see for ourselves. I want to read it. All I read about Zaitsev is he likes and respects Babcock(link above this post), and an Eronko tweet here that vaguely suggested he is not satisfied in his role in Toronto no longer. But is still willing to stay. None of the the quotes about the Toronto pressure you implied.

Now, that is something! Good find though it is not entirely accurate as Z's NTC doesn't kick in till July, and he asked for the trade so he is less likely to exercise his list if a trade is not found by July. But, again, good find. He wants to play more offence according to this reporter.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Zaitsev had an interview in Russia a few days ago. The translation probably isn't great but he talks about feeling like an outcast after making mistakes. And said:

“Everyone said that the defense of Toronto was ****,” he said to “Everybody wanted Mazzin. But he began to smear the next day. You just need to understand that this is Toronto. You will be defrauded anyway, because you are a defender.”

He always had the reputation of being somewhat of a sensitive guy, I think a big part of him wanting out is to go to a quieter market. Not everyone can handle Toronto.
I think you nailed it saying not everyone can handle the spotlight of playing in Toronto and there's nothing wrong with that. It's not for everyone and I think if he played in a market like Arizona for example he would be fine.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Leafs have agreed to help him find a team, but my preference is to keep him. RHD, 20min + player closes down and has offence.

First I hear that the Leafs have agreed to try and help him find a new team. But I do recall the rumors of the Leafs trying to move him at the past trade deadline.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Babcock is not the problem. Someone gave Robin the keys to the Batmobile and it appears he’s losing control.

Zaitsev is sick of the abuse from novice hockey heads who think advanced stats matter. If these idiots knew the game and the system the Leafs play, they’d see he does a very good job most nights. This is both fans and media.

A lot of people should feel a lot of shame for this.

And before you go and pump Lamorello, remember he created this problem by overpaying a d man for the situation he’s in rather than the player he is.

That's a bit of an odd statement given advanced stats tend to be the ones that make him look more palatable?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
First I hear that the Leafs have agreed to try and help him find a new team. But I do recall the rumors of the Leafs trying to move him at the past trade deadline.
Dubas on Sportsnet this morning said they would try to honor his wishes (trade request) but the deal would need to work for Toronto. He also said Z may remain a Leaf as he has a role here.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yes agents aren't likely to feed sources information about their client being sensitive to media pressures, doesn't make them look very good.

Why don't you provide the link or is it just your opinion? Something has changed for Zaitsev to want out. Incase you do not know him Eronko, he is the Bob Mckenzie of Russian Hockey. The source is good.

And he vaguely noted the reason Zaitsev wants out because he is not satisfied in his role no longer. Since we already know he likes and respects Babcock it isn't the Coach. But he is also willing to stay. Something is not right here?

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009

Guess I was right and you can stop speculating about Leafs management?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
That's a bit of an odd statement given advanced stats tend to be the ones that make him look more palatable?
For who? The guy who taps him first, over the boards to meet Bergeron?

I pay zero attention to any of that crap and I’ve never had a problem with his game. I actually think he’s very good at defending in his own zone.

His problem is that confidence wavers at times and the puck becomes a grenade.

He’s definitely not perfect.. but of all the problems in Toronto, he wasn’t really one of them. Value per dollar, sure. But he’s a solid second pair d man. He does his job.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We're retaining 1 million on Z's 4.5 only to pay EJ 6? Then we add Kapanen?

Pass.

Up to 1M, not necessarily 1M...and Kapanen is the Avs incentive to give you the better right-shooting blueliner, with the shorter contract, while taking on most of Zaitsev's money.

But fair enough, just spit-balling.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Sounds fair to me. But dam, if Zaitsev is moved, the Leafs need to find 3 RD's now?
Yup, that's why the deal needs to work for TO. They may add a decent asset to Zaitsev, but they would need a RHD in about the same cap situation coming back.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Rangers are in a good position to make a Bickell / Teravainen esque trade here. We are building a bit of a russian core, and we have a good amount of cap space to work with. Toronto would have to make it worth our while to take on that contract, though.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Up to 1M, not necessarily 1M...and Kapanen is the Avs incentive to give you the better right-shooting blueliner, with the shorter contract, while taking on most of Zaitsev's money.

But fair enough, just spit-balling.
Any retention on Zaitsev while adding EJ's 6 million just doesn't work...that's all.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yup, that's why the deal needs to work for TO. They may add a decent asset to Zaitsev, but they would need a RHD in about the same cap situation coming back.

Depends on what the add is I guess. What team has a spare top 4RD or fringe top 4RD that Toronto would take in return? I think a Kapanen or Johnson with Zaitsev could be a package someone would like but once again... who's the RD coming back? I don't see a fit yet but who knows

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Any retention on Zaitsev while adding EJ's 6 million just doesn't work...that's all.

Why though? You're still saving money on that move, while addressing the hole on the right side of your blueline. Pay someone to eat Horton's last year to give you the offseason flexibility to go about your business, and the cap math should work out as long as Dubas doesn't start giving each of your RFAs 8-digits a year.

Not saying that you need to make this trade or that there can't be better offers out there or anything, I just don't follow your logic here.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I guess the question here is if some team thinks Zaitsev provides better value at $4.25Mx5 and the ability to probably jettison some sort of less than great contract versus signing a guy like Tyler Myers for $6Mx7. For example, Florida if they thought hey we can get rid of Reimer, get a minute eating dman, and probably pay next to nothing to do so would be interested.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Ive been around here since 2002 the sample size is large and prevelant one fan base dominates the ratio by a wide margin. Of course there are intelligent fans in every fan base but as a group the Leaf fans are unmatched on the opposite end of the spectrum. Its not just on HF boards they shine on all platforms.

Agreed, when you start assuming every bad opinion in a Leafs thread is a Leafs fan suddenly there's a bunch of moron Leafs fans everywhere. It's easy to imagine and invent them, like the Russian homer you assumed was a Leafs fan with this reply

So you are suggesting he is better than Jones, Werenski and Slavin? Good grief Toronto has the most cluelss hockey fans alive. You cant get out of your own way.

Toronto has the most clueless fans when we imagine that a bunch of people who aren't Toronto fans really are. Similar to when people complain about Leafs homers making so many Leafs threads in thread started by Sens fans or Habs fans or Bruins fans. But please never give up on your dreams of inventing Leafs fans problems.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Depends on what the add is I guess. What team has a spare top 4RD or fringe top 4RD that Toronto would take in return? I think a Kapanen or Johnson with Zaitsev could be a package someone would like but once again... who's the RD coming back? I don't see a fit yet but who knows
Exactly why Dubas said he could see Zaitsev remaining a Leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad