Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Toronto fans/the media actually think he has value? He actually has negative value...

Plays top four min.check
Rhd .check
Playoff advanced stats pretty decent.check
Shut down Boston's top line better than Seth jones.check
Wears a leafs jersey...negative value.

Never change hf.

Reactions: Ciao

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Plays top four min.check
Rhd .check

Never change hf.

Season stats show him as a bottom pairing d-man Check

He has been good 1 serie, doesnt chaneg the fact he suc*ed for the past 2 years

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Plays top four min.check
Rhd .check

Never change hf.

5 years left at a massive overpayment for what he brings to the table? Double check

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I'd take him easily for Detroit if Toronto would take back DeKeyser.

How about somthing around this at the draft:

DeKeyser and Detroit's 2019 5th round pick from Columbus

for

Zaitsev and Toronto's 2019 7th round pick from Dallas

Change of scenery for both guys; Detroit gets a RH, defensive D to slot in the 2nd/3rd pair, and Toronto gets a solid, 2nd pair LHD who's familiar with the Babcock for less term.

Thoughts? Laughter? Flaming piles of poop?

Last edited:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
For once, I agree with Babcock, especially when he almost implies it might be a scam.

Analytics are a crutch for people who can't appreciate what they're seeing.
:laugh:
Scam is kind of harsh, but individual player metrics are pretty useless and that’s what he was laughing at.

It’s great for the game that they’ve caught up to other sports in data tracking but disconnect comes from player metrics vs team metrics.

Someone posted a screen grab of Babcock’s office white board with something titled ‘heavy shifts’. That’s the sort of stuff that can be useful, especially in game. It’s great to know which lines are going and which aren’t. I think they track all sorts of stuff like that.

Player metrics are silly.

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

for

Change of scenery for both guys; Detroit gets a RH, defensive D to slot in the 2nd/3rd pair, and Toronto gets a solid, 2nd pair LHD who's familiar with the Babcock for less term.

Just a quick glance.
He is older
Makes more
Shoots left

Only positive is the contract ends sooner.

Doesn't check enough boxes to me.

Reactions: RedMenace

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
The crippling 4.5 million cap hit. The sky is falling. Errmergerd worst contract ever.. I could name 20 worse. It's his jersey, you know it, I know it. Next?

I'd consider Lindell twice the defensemen zaitsev is and he's making 1.3 mil more, signed a similar deal in term too. Maybe massive is an overstatement but I can name way more serviceable dmen making similar money it's hard for a team to take that on when he doesn't Excell in one specific area like an Ian Cole or Lindell at similar AAV. Just my take.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Toronto fans/the media actually think he has value? He actually has negative value...
You are correct...that contract basically puts Zaitsev in negative worth territory....the Leafs will have to eat some of this to get a trade done....

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto

for

No thanks. Lateral move on paper and the Zaitsev situation is a unique one in that his deal really isn't that bad health permitting, especially in the latter years once accounting for expected cap inflation - it's just in this coming year that his contract is an inconvenience (if he plays like he did with Muzzin) because of the cap crunch.

Reactions: RedMenace

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Plays top four min.check
Rhd .check

Never change hf.
Considering Leafs biggest weakness is RHD I think HFBoards knows more then you think. If you were correct he'd be staying not asking to leave. His contract sucks he's a bottom pairing guy making top 4 money and I'm sure is tired of hearing it.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Considering Leafs biggest weakness is RHD I think HFBoards knows more then you think. If you were correct he'd be staying not asking to leave. His contract sucks he's a bottom pairing guy making top 4 money and I'm sure is tired of hearing it.
If that were true, he'd be asking to stay.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If that were true, he'd be asking to stay.
Not when everyone blasts him for being over paid but you apparently. He's got negative value because of his contract you'll see soon enough. It's a shame though if he never got that big deal but 2.5 - 3 instead he's be a valuable bottom pairing guy.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Not when everyone blasts him for being over paid but you apparently. He's got negative value because of his contract you'll see soon enough. It's a shame though if he never got that big deal but 2.5 - 3 instead he's be a valuable bottom pairing guy.
You are saying Zaitsev is a member here?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Of course he is isn't everyone? I'd imagine some fans at games have gave it to him but i'm assuming that. Does he not get talked about in media in Toronto? That's an honest question.
Yes, he does. Some members of the media don't like him like that guy from Sports net. Some, but not everyone perhaps. I don't live in Canada so I have never been to a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad