Friedman: Nikita Zaitsev has requested a trade from Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Intressting, couple of yearws ago, this guy was the best UFA signing from Europe ever (for some reason Panarin did not count) when som Leaf fans bragged about this guy.... Things changes quickly in sports..

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Zaitsev + Brown + Bracco
For
Pysyk + Sceviour

- Zaitsev and Pysyk seem to have overstayed their respective welcomes
- Brown has had the higher full season vs Sceviour, Sceviour is more what the Leafs need in the bottom 9
- Bracco is coming off a pretty dominant AHL season but has no room on the right side with the Leafs anytime soon

This proposal got a decent review in another thread.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Just a quick glance.
He is older
Makes more
Shoots left

Only positive is the contract ends sooner.

Doesn't check enough boxes to me.

No thanks. Lateral move on paper and the Zaitsev situation is a unique one in that his deal really isn't that bad health permitting, especially in the latter years once accounting for expected cap inflation - it's just in this coming year that his contract is an inconvenience (if he plays like he did with Muzzin) because of the cap crunch.

That's fair, it wasn't meant to really be an upgrade for either team; Toronto would get a little more flexibility, and Detroit would get a (rather expensive) reclamation project.

No worries.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I wonder if the trade request is being so heavily publicized because it works to the Leafs advantage. It makes it seem like they may not want to move him when I'd guess that they'd gladly take a Mulligan on that contract.

If they were just shopping him, it might further the perception that of course you're shopping him, he's got a bad contract.

I am not suggesting that the trade request is not genuine, only that teams usually try to keep trade requests quiet as to not lose trade leverage.
I doubt it, the Gordeev trade to the Wild for a 2020 7th made big news in Toronto too! And 3 pages on this board.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Intressting, couple of yearws ago, this guy was the best UFA signing from Europe ever (for some reason Panarin did not count) when som Leaf fans bragged about this guy.... Things changes quickly in sports..
Sure, it like any teams players, some fans go all in. Just in Toronto the extreme can change very quickly with our vocal group.

Reactions: smitty10

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I can’t imagine teams wanting Zaitsev without looking to gain additional assets but weirder things have happened in this league

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

I don't know how reliable this source is but if it is true that would be huge if we didn't need to attach assets

Pagnotta is pretty solid. He's broken a few stories in the past.

I still think a Zaitsev trade will be a lost trade for us, but maybe not as big of a loss as previously thought. Salary will need to come back i would assume...it will be a hockey trade for the other team.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

I still think a Zaitsev trade will be a lost trade for us, but maybe not as big of a loss as previously thought. Salary will need to come back i would assume...it will be a hockey trade for the other team.

I think losing a #4 RHD is a big enough loss for us. No need to take salary back unless there is some quality in the asset..

Reactions: smitty10

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think losing a #4 RHD is a big enough loss for us. No need to take salary back unless there is some quality in the asset..
Still needs to work for the other team. They may need to move a roster player/cap to fit Z. As i say....a goid old hockey trade. Honestly, i'll take a vet RHD on the last year of his deal...

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I can’t imagine teams wanting Zaitsev without looking to gain additional assets but weirder things have happened in this league
he outplayed many NHL caliber d men at the world championships
he might be 500 k over played

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Pretty much this.

Unlikely the Leafs trade Zaitsev for a 5th round pick.... the other team will most likely need to send salary back, and the Leafs will be looking for a replacement anyways.

Reactions: Liferleafer

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't know how reliable this source is but if it is true that would be huge if we didn't need to attach assets

I don't think they'll need to attach assets, I think they'll just need to take salary back for him. Something like Zaitsev to Florida for Pysyk and Scevior or something like that.

Reactions: TML1967

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
that’s fine but his term is the problem as well as the Leafs situation
I agree but y can leave him unprotected for Seattle;lots of teams need some bait to protect a maybe younger cheaper depth player
Vegas woke up alot of teams

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Why are you bypassing his 241 NHL games to look at what he did in 10 games internationally?

If Zaitsev had played for the Leafs like he did for Russia, we wouldn't consider moving him. We are doing that now because we are a cap strapped team and he's been a $2M defender with a long-term $4.5M contract across 200+ NHL games.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I don't think they'll need to attach assets, I think they'll just need to take salary back for him. Something like Zaitsev to Florida for Pysyk and Scevior or something like that.
This makes a ton of sense. They can include Gauthier or Petan as well depending on what type of guy they want. A 6'5 C who has shown a strong defensive game, or a 5'10 W who has offensive skills but hasn't performed yet.
Edit: I think people sometimes forget that taking back 2 guys who make your team means cutting a different NHLer, so Scevior doesn't add 1.2m to the cap, just the difference between him and who he'd be replacing

Reactions: WillyNy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

International play on bigger ice and a more trapping style is no comparable to NHL hockey. Zaitsev is bottom pairing in the NHL and badly overpaid. Leafs will have to ay to dump him.

And before Leafs posters protest, remember why a team who is weak on the RHD side is desperate to rid themselves of this bad contract.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I really hope you aren't insinuating Rielly and Trouba are interchangeable.. And there is no capdump in the deal.
I am saying Trouba carries the value of top pairing dman, the fact that he’s RHD also increases his value so the closest comparable on the Leafs is in fact Reilly.
Zaitsev would be a cap dump.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
41 pages of Zaitsev :laugh:. Must be a Toronto player.

I sometimes wish other fanbases would stop being obsessed with us, OR that leafs fans could see a dumb comment and leave it alone. Either one of those options would result in these threads being like

"Zaitzev requests trade *link*"
"Leafs are gonna have to pay to move him"
"Here's someone saying their sources contradict that"
"I dont know if it is true but stranger things have happened, I guess we'll see"
"yes, should be an interesting week leading up to the draft"

*thread dies*

instead we get
"Nylander grumble grumble grumble"
*15 consecutive threads where the same thing is posted over and over on a loop*

I am saying Trouba carries the value of top pairing dman, the fact that he’s RHD also increases his value so the closest comparable on the Leafs is in fact Reilly.
Zaitsev would be a cap dump.

I get the feeling if you put Zaitzev in a different system he bounces back at least a bit and you get some decent top 4 minutes out of him. Wouldn't be the first time a player left toronto (or babcock) and did better.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad