Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov - Protecting Our Investment

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I suspect that, when we see what Zadorov signs for, most of us will be thankful the contract wasn’t with the Canucks. 6x6M would not shock me.

Another scenario is he doesn't get what he thinks / his agent is telling him he'll get. Will be interesting to watch.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Another scenario is he doesn't get what he thinks / his agent is telling him he'll get. Will be interesting to watch.
From the rumours, the Canucks made a serious offer. You might be right but I suspect some team is going to give him more $$ and term. The other factor is the Canucks have moved on to plan B and once a plan has momentum, it's a little harder to back track. Will be interesting to watch.

Reactions: MarkMM

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see the Leafs have acquired exclusive negotiating rights with Chris Tanev up until Monday's UFA window. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets signed in TO.

And makes you wonder if Zadorov will follow closely behind. It was Treliving who brought both these guys to Calgary originally.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
clown take

Its his last contract, he should be chasing the largest bag. He isn't a star player who has been paid monster money throughout his career. 20M made over 10 seasons of pro hockey (2M/year).

Agreed would be doing the same. I think in order for him to take a lower avg per year cost is to extend the contract a few years longer, something management wasn’t keen on.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
clown take

Its his last contract, he should be chasing the largest bag. He isn't a star player who has been paid monster money throughout his career. 20M made over 10 seasons of pro hockey (2M/year).
A few weeks ago I sang Joshuas praises and told him to chase the bag. Zadorov is different, he wasnt being lowballed here. He can go get overpaid and if hes still a 5-6 in a few years then he can come back after hes bought out from that team.

Im also super salty since his overvaluing himself has made us re-sign that idiot Myers

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
clown take

Its his last contract, he should be chasing the largest bag. He isn't a star player who has been paid monster money throughout his career. 20M made over 10 seasons of pro hockey (2M/year)
Im hoping he chases his bag and realises no one is offering him what he wants and he doubles back to see if the Canucks offer is still on the table

Reactions: MarkMM and David71

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
Big Z is 6’6 255. That is Monstrous Lol. He changed the team dynamic with his physicality, there was a stat where the number of hits per game by the Canucks was significantly higher after acquiring Zadorov, everyone played like they were a couple inches taller and a few pounds heavier with him in the lineup. If we can’t afford to keep him we need someone that can bring it physically to replace Big Z. Lot’s of Zadorov Lite’s available in free agency that will be cheaper, not as huge or monstrous but still able to hit hard effectively and make the team tougher to play against.
Well. I admire the Canucks management for showing restraint and looking at his entire body of work but this is a very difficult loss. Is it possible that our roster of all star coaching staff would make his statistical jump sustainable? Is it even relevant if he reverts back to prior form on another team?

Seeing a player in a Canuck uni laughing at other team’ tough guys is just way too rare - especially especially in the playoffs.

As a poster previously said, fly high you beautiful magnificent beast, we will miss you.
This is perfect. Way more fun to fly in beautiful Vancouver BC tho

Reactions: DS7 and Bertuzzzi44

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Well. I admire the Canucks management for showing restraint and looking at his entire body of work but this is a very difficult loss. Is it possible that our roster of all star coaching staff would make his statistical jump sustainable? Is it even relevant if he reverts back to prior form on another team?

Seeing a player in a Canuck uni laughing at other team’ tough guys is just way too rare - especially especially in the playoffs.

This is perfect. Way more fun to fly in beautiful Vancouver BC tho

Aye. I understand General Zad's departure from both angles - yes, it was hilarious to see him shrug off other so-called tough guys like they were ants, or mock other team openly. But at the same time, we have to look at the big picture, like you said, and do what makes sense for the team.

Gonna drop this video here:

O'Brien got a shot or two in the beginning, presumably inflicting little more than boredom for Zad, who then muttered in Russian "alright you asked for it" and proceed to punch the ever loving CRAP out of the former.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The team's early push to get Zadorov re-signed is quite peculiar to me, just sharing some thoughts:

1. I thought that Soucy was the more consistent dman, while Zadorov had the higher ceiling. On balance, similar impact.

2. Soucy better steadied Myers so as to create the 2nd pair. Zadorov was tried with Myers and it wasn't as good.

3. As a result of Zadorov's inconsistency and due to the above, Zadorov was relegated to the 3rd pair.

4. In the playoffs, Zadorov's ceiling kicked in and he surpassed Soucy for impact.

5. Re-signing Zadorov to 2nd pair money would have either relegated Soucy, which drops the Soucy-Myers pair behind Zadorov's pair, or the team has a very overpaid 3rd pair LHD.

And so, given the team's interest in Zadorov at $5m per, I'm starting to think that they were going to rebuild that 2nd pair and move away from/relegate Soucy and get a different RHD for Zadorov (Tanev). Or even trade Soucy to get that 4HD, like Marino. I also don't think Myers gets re-signed if Zadorov is re-signed.

There were actually rumours to this effect: It was said that it was one of Myers or Zadorov, not both.

Zadorov's inconsistency and penalty rate always bothered me, but I can see the logic in going with his ceiling and reconstructing the 2nd pair around him. The rest of the defense would have had to change to make it work though.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44 and rea

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
The team's early push to get Zadorov re-signed is quite peculiar to me, just sharing some thoughts:

1. I thought that Soucy was the more consistent dman, while Zadorov had the higher ceiling. On balance, similar impact.

2. Soucy better steadied Myers so as to create the 2nd pair. Zadorov was tried with Myers and it wasn't as good.

3. As a result of Zadorov's inconsistency and due to the above, Zadorov was relegated to the 3rd pair.

4. In the playoffs, Zadorov's ceiling kicked in and he surpassed Soucy for impact.

5. Re-signing Zadorov to 2nd pair money would have either relegated Soucy, which drops the Soucy-Myers pair behind Zadorov's pair, or the team has a very overpaid 3rd pair LHD.

And so, given the team's interest in Zadorov at $5m per, I'm starting to think that they were going to rebuild that 2nd pair and move away from/relegate Soucy and get a different RHD for Zadorov (Tanev). Or even trade Soucy to get that 4HD, like Marino. I also don't think Myers gets re-signed if Zadorov is re-signed.

There were actually rumours to this effect: It was said that it was one of Myers or Zadorov, not both.

Zadorov's inconsistency and penalty rate always bothered me, but I can see the logic in going with his ceiling and reconstructing the 2nd pair around him. The rest of the defense would have had to change to make it work though.
Zads could at least babysit on the 3rd pair to someone not named Myers. Hughes cant even babysit Myers

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Zads could at least babysit on the 3rd pair to someone not named Myers. Hughes cant even babysit Myers

That's the thing, Zadorov didn't want to be on the 3rd pair. The minimum expectation was 2nd pair, and that calls into question the role of Soucy and Myers here.

Milstein said that it wasn't term or money that kept Zadorov from re-signing. This implies that his role was important too. If they re-sign him, I think they're essentially forgoing Myers' ability to play in the top4 with him, which means Myers probably doesn't get brought back. This changes the bottom4.

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
Love Big Zaddy but you don't throw $6m at a 3rd pair D. Team would love to keep him but it's possible that there's just no fit for him, and there's plenty of replacements in free agency and/or prospects. I wish him all the best and I hope he gets that money.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
That's the thing, Zadorov didn't want to be on the 3rd pair. The minimum expectation was 2nd pair, and that calls into question the role of Soucy and Myers here.

Milstein said that it wasn't term or money that kept Zadorov from re-signing. This implies that his role was important too. If they re-sign him, I think they're essentially forgoing Myers' ability to play in the top4 with him, which means Myers probably doesn't get brought back. This changes the bottom4.
I personally was hoping for a near future of a Hughes, Zads, Hronek, Willander top 4 organized however

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I personally was hoping for a near future of a Hughes, Zads, Hronek, Willander top 4 organized however

This is the direction I thought they had in mind when attempting to re-sign Zadorov. Sign him, partner with Tanev/FA RHD for 2-3 years, then Willander moves up to 2nd pair while Tanev/FA shifts down to 3rd pair.

I think the team didn't promise him that 2nd pair role above Soucy. Or, were unwilling to trade Soucy without Zadorov relenting on something (AAV/Term/Role). Therefore, he could still be relegated to 3rd pair and that was untenable to him.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
This is the direction I thought they had in mind when attempting to re-sign Zadorov. Sign him, partner with Tanev/FA RHD for 2-3 years, then Willander moves up to 2nd pair while Tanev/FA shifts down to 3rd pair.

I think the team didn't promise him that 2nd pair role above Soucy. Or, were unwilling to trade Soucy without Zadorov relenting on something (AAV/Term/Role). Therefore, he could still be relegated to 3rd pair and that was untenable to him.
Possibly. And could see that being an issue for him. But on the other hand the bottom two pairs will have wildly different uses and TOI that dont line up with set in stone pairs. Like pp/pk or just having better chemistry with someone

Reactions: Bleach Clean

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With Zadorov out the door; and Cole set to hit the UFA market, you have to wonder what the Canucks will do to address some of the holes on their back-end.

Right now they have Hughes, Hronek, Soucy, Myers, Juulsen and Friedman. More worrisome is that a number of guys whom the Canucks might have signed--like Marino and Tanev are basically already spoken for.

I guess Brett Pesce will be hitting the market.....and he's a valuable right-shot, shutdown d-man, but might be priced out of the Canucks range. The next 48 hours will be fascinating. They have to find a couple more NHL d-men from somewhere.

Reactions: larueskee

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Apparently his agent said it wasn't about money or term and will speak more about it on Monday. Sounds to me like he wants to play in the USA (his kids are citizens) and I'm guessing somewhere near Florida where he has a home.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Good analysis. What about Cole who the Canucks reportedly wanted to re-sign (at a lower cost I would assume)?

One thing I would add is that management doesn't know who would be available as a UFA. I don't think management wanted to go into July 1st without most of the D locked up. I wonder if Myers (who they had to give a 3 year contract to) was a lower priority OR they figure that they are priced out on the Tanev sweepstakes.

I do agree with you that the team was looking to build a 2nd pair (likely around Zadorov). If the team managed to sign Tanev they could pair Quinn with Tanev or Hronek. I like Soucy a lot, but I don't think he's seen as a 2nd pairing guy. I think the Canucks are fine with having Soucy and Myers as a 3rd pairing, but if the cap doesn't allow, they could move Soucy.

As for whether Myers would be re-signed if Zadorov wasn't? It's hard to say. If the Canucks don't re-sign Myers and fail to sign Tanev or a 2nd pairing RHD the failsafe would be Juulsen and Friedman. Whereas if you sign Myers but fail to sign Zadorov you have Soucy as your 2nd pairing LD who is drastically better than Juulsen adn Friedman. It's also easier to sign a quality LHD than a RHD.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Zadorov is and will always have significant holes in his game. Canucks fans saw the best he had to offer but just ask the Avs if they would like him back. The thread above mentioned Cole who in many respects gets little respect like Zadorov. However consider this, Teams that moved on Cole allowed more goals the season after he left. I'm talking Pittsburgh, Colorado, Minny, Carolina, and Tampa. Additionally, Cole has made guys like Schultz, Soucy, get paydays they might not of otherwise got. Yeah he is old but he doesn't think he is worth 5 million.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I like Zadorov but he's moving onto his 6th NHL club, which will include at least as many GMs and coaches that will have passed on a wanting to see him on their respective club long-term.
After a certain point you have to trust the large sample of NHL brass that have said no to spending luxury-good coin on him.
Zadorov is worth $3.5-4.5m per year depending on contract length. That's a fact. Anything more is an overpay.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Zadorov and Lindholm delivered exactly what the Canucks were hoping for in the Cup playoffs.

But now the hangover begins. The loss of draft capital is a serious downer. Canucks better hope that they hit on some of their late round picks on Saturday.

Because after flushing a third and a fifth for Zadorov; and a first and fourth rounder for Lindholm, their prospect pool is bound to get hammered.

Reactions: David71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad