GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It's too late now, sure. I guess my thing is that over the last five years it feels like this team planned about as well as Disney did for the new SW movies. And that's a shame and a disservice to the players that have made the last like 20 years awesome.
okay, but

1) I think you and pixies have forgotten what the word 'happy' means. No one is fist pumping this shit. There are just degrees of acceptance. Understanding and accepting what they're doing isn't happiness. It's just acceptance. If you don't accept it, that's okay, but you guys (pixies especially) need to stop changing reality so that you can be jackasses. It's not useful or funny and only goes to embarrass you every time you say 'people are happy!!!!" when literally no one is happy. We're all miserable. The difference is, we understand the meaning of the word happy and you do not.

2) Blaming Dubas for the last 5 years when he's been here exactly 1 is the kind of next-level thinking I've come to appreciate about the internet. I'm glad he invented a time machine, but sad he used it to ruin the Penguins instead of do something useful. Like help me find my missing socks.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Is anyone furious?

I'm just saying Kyle Dubas is an awful GM because he is and people think I'm furious for some reason.
You act like a pre-teen throwing a tantrum pretty much every damn day in every damn thread, so while I know you put up the "I promise I don't care guys! I don't obsess over Sullivan and Dubas!" mask, you got a real f***in' weird way of showing it. :laugh:

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What are you asking for then? Would you prefer they get no picks, pretend harder, and get 9th or 10th again?
Best case scenario they sneak in and lose in R1 to one of the beasts of the East.
What's the goal of this season? To make Crosby look as good as possible at 37?

I get it from an entertainment perspective. But if one cares about the long term health of the organization at all, then they should be glad Dubas is refilling the cupboards.

Refilling the cupboards isn't a recipe for success.

Creative thinking.

Being ahead of the curve.

Logical moves.

This is how you have success in the league.

Trading for EK, immediately trading Guentzel with a concern of acquiring a win now player in Bunting and then trading for Kevin Hayes doesn't show any of the above. It shows a GM that was unaware of what the team truly needed last summer and is now dipping his toes in the complete opposite realm.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Is anyone furious?

I'm just saying Kyle Dubas is an awful GM because he is and people think I'm furious for some reason.
He's a fine GM who extracted very good value in these recent trades including for the muppet. He was just put in an unenviable position. Give him Sid and Geno at 30 and 31 as opposed to 36 and 37, pretty certain the results would be decidedly different.

Reactions: Headshot77

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Capitals just acquired a top four defenseman they can get a 1st for, a top 9 winger they can return a 2nd for, and a 25 year old former top 5 overall center for a 2nd, 3rd, Nick Jensen and Darcy Kuemper.

View attachment 891049

They also have this heading into next draft.

We have this.

1719875912470-png.891051

Let's see where we are at to finish the season. Bet Washington has more picks than us.
You continually bring up Washington like they are a comparison to us.

They had many more 1st rounders throughout the years. They have also got extremely lucky in the fact that their old veterans making a bunch of money started getting hurt and their awful contracts will be LTIR’d.

Oh and most importantly the Capitals won one cup. We won 3 and went to 4. Give me that shit over what any team does this offseason.

The Capitals should be ahead of us nor should they be the team we look to emulate.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This is exactly why I don't get mad about watching the Pirates. I want them to do well, but I'm not expecting them to be a top tier contender. So when people are spazzing out saying "this team is 37-40, everyone should be fired!", I'm like "isn't this basically just what this team is?".
Well that's baseball. You could be watching the best team in the league and it'd still be hot coiled dogshit. :laugh: :naughty:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
You act like a pre-teen throwing a tantrum pretty much every damn day in every damn thread, so while I know you put up the "I promise I don't care guys! I don't obsess over Sullivan and Dubas!" mask, you got a real f***in' weird way of showing it. :laugh:

I guess. I like to talk about hockey. I don't care that people feel differently.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
You continually bring up Washington like they are a comparison to us.

They had many more 1st rounders throughout the years. They have also got extremely lucky in the fact that their old veterans making a bunch of money started getting hurt and their awful contracts will be LTIR’d.

Oh and most importantly the Capitals won one cup. We won 3 and went to 4. Give me that shit over what any team does this offseason.

The Capitals should be ahead of us nor should they be the team we look to emulate.

We've had a ton of cap space over the past two years. Dubas has filled it with Jarry, Graves, EK65, Bunting, and Hayes.

This is totally at Dubas' feet.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I wish we were 2023-24 San Jose right now, committing.
Hell, San Jose got rid of Quinn. They have a shot at doing some interesting stuff. They're not going to be good, but they've got potential.

Wouldn't it be nice to be excited about potential instead of merely "accepting"?

you have 48,500 posts. I'd hate to see what taking the internet seriously looks like
Shitposting on company time is an art, dude who used to claim to be a hockey insider for attention. :laugh:

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
For real. We can suck, but we don't have to be unbearable to watch. And a large part of that doesn't come down to the roster, it comes down to the organization and the coaching staff. Most everyone loves watching a scrappy underdog trying to compete with likeable young kids getting a shot for cheap tickets.

Fewer want to watch a boring team of entitled vets lose while run by an organization that thinks it's still competing and prices things accordingly.
I guess I just think the team's already unbearable to watch. They tried to turn a 100pt Norris winner into Paul Martin cuz it fits their lame style of "play everyone to a draw, beige is too bright a color, no personality or creativity". :laugh:

I really wish Mario gave a f*** enough about anything other than how much he could sell the team for back in 2020, then maybe he'd have nuked the FO and coaching staff and tried to eek out another run or two from the era. That dude shrugged and already had the wheels in motion for trying to find a buyer. Pretty clear to me that was the signing of the death certificate for the era.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
okay, but

1) I think you and pixies have forgotten what the word 'happy' means. No one is fist pumping this shit. There are just degrees of acceptance. Understanding and accepting what they're doing isn't happiness. It's just acceptance. If you don't accept it, that's okay, but you guys (pixies especially) need to stop changing reality so that you can be jackasses. It's not useful or funny and only goes to embarrass you every time you say 'people are happy!!!!" when literally no one is happy. We're all miserable. The difference is, we understand the meaning of the word happy and you do not.

2) Blaming Dubas for the last 5 years when he's been here exactly 1 is the kind of next-level thinking I've come to appreciate about the internet. I'm glad he invented a time machine, but sad he used it to ruin the Penguins instead of do something useful. Like help me find my missing socks.

I know how long Dubas has been here. I'm not a hardcore Dubas hater he just largely started to lose me after last year. I'm saying the Penguins have been badly mismanaged/coached for at least five seasons over the course of several GMs. Probably longer.

I'm really not unhappy at all. I mean not REALLY. I'm unhappy with the hockey team I follow and talk about it here. I didn't realize it was embarrassing. I thought I was presenting my discontent in a pretty rational manner. You all have fun, then.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don’t like Letang’s contract anymore, especially with Karlsson, but I don’t regret Malkins at all. He is still making less than his play is worth. I think the biggest regret that summer is getting rid of all your best mid 20s talent in Rodrigues, Matheson and Marino for nothing.

How long is that going to last, though? He's turning 38 this month and still has 2 years left. He has already declined from 83 points to 67 points.

You can argue that Malkin is still worth his contract, but from a broader conceptual aspect of "giving term to your upper 30s core", I don't see a way that anyone could argue that the Penguins don't regret that decision.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Shitposting is an art, dude who used to claim to be a hockey insider for attention. :laugh:

Hm. Is that what I did? Pretty sure when i had access, I said it, and when i stopped having access, I said that. And when I said i did, i repeatedly called stuff.

Trust me, there are times when I desperately want attention, but never so desperate that I'd want it from you.

Reactions: DesertPenguin

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Refilling the cupboards isn't a recipe for success.

Creative thinking.

Being ahead of the curve.

Logical moves.

This is how you have success in the league.

Trading for EK, immediately trading Guentzel with a concern of acquiring a win now player in Bunting and then trading for Kevin Hayes doesn't show any of the above. It shows a GM that was unaware of what the team truly needed last summer and is now dipping his toes in the complete opposite realm.
Just because it doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

Honestly if it did make sense to you then I'd be quite concerned.

Kyle gave the core an opportunity in acquiring EK, they fell flat on their face, therefore he changed his objective. Makes perfect sense when the evidence is right there in front of you.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I know how long Dubas has been here. I'm not a hardcore Dubas hater he just largely started to lose me after last year. I'm saying the Penguins have been badly mismanaged/coached for at least five seasons over the course of several GMs. Probably longer.

I'm really not unhappy at all. I mean not REALLY. I'm unhappy with the hockey team I follow and talk about it here. I didn't realize it was embarrassing. I thought I was presenting my discontent in a pretty rational manner. You all have fun, then.

Sorry you got referenced as being like me.

That must be horrible.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Hm. Is that what I did? Pretty sure when i had access, I said it, and when i stopped having access, I said that. And when I said i did, i repeatedly called stuff.

Trust me, there are times when I desperately want attention, but never so desperate that I'd want it from you.
And yet, those PMs...

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

you don't think it's weird to constantly talk about how everyone but you and pixies are happy is weird?

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
We've had a ton of cap space over the past two years. Dubas has filled it with Jarry, Graves, EK65, Bunting, and Hayes.

This is totally at Dubas' feet.
Hindsight is 20/20 my friend. How about we give the Capitals deals some time to marinate before anointing them as being better than the ones you listed. They haven’t even stepped on the ice yet.

Also, I don’t know what more you could have wanted from the Guentzel/Bunting trade. I thought Bunting was awesome here. But yes, I agree with the rest of your list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad