1719677296466.png

1719677313892.png

1719677330042.png

1719677347094.png

1719677387839.png

1719677428810.png

scott99

May 13, 2005
Another good value pick. Undrafted last year, but as you can see, rated #40 by The Hockey News, and #33 by FC Hockey. So to get him at #54, excellent value. But add in that he’s 6’6” 215, mature, uses his size well, and has some offensive instincts as well. This pick in the long run, could be a steal.

Reactions: Lek

Mysterious Liquid

Jun 26, 2024
Like the reports say, an unique prospect and a rather entertaining player to watch, I'm sure we'll see more highlight reels of his dekes and plays next season.
To put it short, the biggest question for Pulkkinen will be if he can mature and turn some of those unnecessary risks in his game into more simpler plays. It's been a bit of a problem in the Liiga games he played and would be a much bigger problem on the smaller NA ice. The good thing here is that he's shown he can work and improve his game, but it will probably take time before he's anywhere close to NHL level.

Reactions: Benedict Kovalchuk

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Had the potential to be an absolute beast in puck moving and pushing up ice. His skating and size combined is too good to pass up. He doesn’t shy away from taking the body either.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Had the potential to be an absolute beast in puck moving and pushing up ice. His skating and size combined is too good to pass up. He doesn’t shy away from taking the body either.
Is it just me or does this sound kind of similar to Scott Mayfield’s scouting report his draft year? I remember there were concerns of him taking unnecessary risks mainly due to a lack of talent surrounding him, but he didn’t have the praise of puck handling skills of Pulkkinenen.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Is it just me or does this sound kind of similar to Scott Mayfield’s scouting report his draft year? I remember there were concerns of him taking unnecessary risks mainly due to a lack of talent surrounding him, but he didn’t have the praise of puck handling skills of Pulkkinenen.

Mayfield was also know has a physical guy who can contribute some offense but not as smooth as Pulkkinen at the same age.

Reactions: thedonger

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
He certainly very effective on large surface, I like his calm but hope he doesn't
get locked into not changing it up at times. I feel that has been a big downside of Bolduc who suffers from thinking he can skate the same methodical slow stride because he's had no issue against inferior competition.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I like this pick a lot. It's definitely not a safe pick, but the reward could be great. In his videos he shows insane calm and patience - like too much at times. But if they can dial that back they might really have something. It's wild to watch him make plays and realize he's 6'6".

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I heard a Lou comment during his media availability about his Finnish scout (Kautonen?) having Pulkkinen very high on his draft list. Kinda had me wondering if there was a possibility they would have taken him with the #20 pick if Eiserman hadn't dropped. That would make sense in light of the trade down from #18 (figuring it was pretty safe that Pulkkinen would be there at #20). Probably unlikely, but just speculating. :)

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I heard a Lou comment during his media availability about his Finnish scout (Kautonen?) having Pulkkinen very high on his draft list. Kinda had me wondering if there was a possibility they would have taken him with the #20 pick if Eiserman hadn't dropped. That would make sense in light of the trade down from #18 (figuring it was pretty safe that Pulkkinen would be there at #20). Probably unlikely, but just speculating. :)

Check out my last post on draft day before the draft started...

I mentioned that if the Isles took a player at 20 widely considered not to be a likely first rounder, it would be Pulkkinen, Vanacker, or O'Reilly.

Just felt like it'd be Pulkkinen or bust for Kautonen.

Vanacker and O'Reilly then actually got taken in the latter stages of the first round, with two teams (CHI and EDM) trading up in order to take them.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I watched a top 32 video on YouTube pre draft, and the guy had Pulkkinen at #19. So like I said in my earlier post, I saw him at 33 and 40. So he was rated as a late 1st early 2nd round pick. So he was a steal at #54.

Reactions: SI90

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm very jealous of Isles fans that you guys get to have Pullkkinen coming up. I watched about five of his games and I think he's got All-Star upside.

Incredible calmness and hands for making plays, but also 6'6 frame that plays nasty D in his zone. He has to get quicker first steps and he needs to make better risk assessments. Right now he is the guy that will try and dangle his way out of his crease.

But you're talking about a kid who wasn't even serious about pro hockey until last summer. He has a lot of runway left. I don't see why he can't learn to pick his spots. He should have gone in the first round.

Reactions: mm11 and Potvottier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad