Confirmed with Link: Islanders Sign Duclair to 4 Year Deal, $3.5M AAV

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
That was 10 years ago and he was out of the league for 6.
Had good success in those years out of the league too. The kind of success organizations look for when hiring a new to the NHL coach.

But like everything else, I guess we just have to see how he actually performs.

Two things I did not like that he did was…

Have a full on skate the morning before game two vs Carolina. Brind’Amour tested his team. Isles preceded to get out skated and blew their lead.

Started Sorokin in game three, AND talk him up in the media “Ferrari” etc.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I would have loved to get Foegele and think he's a much better option.

I just don't think Duclair is the answer to the team based on what I've seen from him.

If using your metric of past player production and impact, I don’t see how Foegele is a better option than Duclair.

If preferring Foegele over Duclair because you feel going forward there is more potential that can be utilized… then I can respect that opinion. I don’t necessarily know if I share it.

I like Foegele, going back to his days on Carolina. But he has been a solid bottom sixer. Duclair is paid the same, with middle six potential.

Ultimately, I’m ok with this deal since Duclair can easily be slotted down the lineup if he is out produced by younger players or newer acquisitions.

Expecting Foegele to produce his way up from the bottom six to the top, seems a bigger ask and risk to me.

Reactions: Green

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
23 x $3.5M = $80,500,000

Salary cap 2024-25 = $88,000,000
This is probably the easiest to digest post here. He’s being paid below the median, yet he’s likely an above average player. He’s not going to be a perfect player, but he isn’t being paid like he is. We got him at a discount because he is his own agent, and our coach can call up his former player and say “our team needs you on the first line”.

There’s a chance he clicks with Barzal annd Horvat and pots 30 again, which he is one healthy year removed from (24 in 73 games last year). We didn’t pay any assets to get him or to move a player out to get him.

Good deal, probably.

Last edited:

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
I took Duclair this year in my playoff pool and I was certainly disappointed.
Some players just struggle when the stakes are higher and Duclair looked the type in my viewings but we need to get to the playoffs first and not wait until the last game or 2.
I think Duclair will help with things we lacked and for 3.5 in todays cap, its a decent signing.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
wanted to check in on the validity of the consistency claims so I averaged up his last 4 healthy years. Here are his per 82 stats over those 256 games:

28 goals
27 assists
55 points

Without looking it up that feels like third among current isles in goals (Nelson,Horvat) and 4th in (Barzal, Horvat, Nelson) points over that period. Feels similar to Eberle

What hasn’t been consistent is his health. He missed between 9 and 16 games in those seasons, and obviously had the major Achilles injury. Also feels Eberle-ish, don’t exactly remember him being a model of health.

Another Eberle comp… Lou signed him at age 28 for 6.92% of the cap. Duclair is signed for 3.98% of the cap, so comparatively Duclair’s contract is taking up a little more than half (57%) of the cap Eberle’s was. Also it’s a year shorter.

Last edited:

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
wanted to check in on the validity of the consistency claims so I averaged up his last 4 healthy years. Here are his per 82 stats over those 256 games:

28 goals
27 assists
55 points

Without looking it up that feels like third among current isles in goals (Nelson,Horvat) and 4th in (Barzal, Horvat, Nelson) points over that period. Feels similar to Eberle

What hasn’t been consistent is his health. He missed between 9 and 16 games in those seasons, and obviously had the major Achilles injury. Also feels Eberle-ish, don’t exactly remember him being a model of health.

Another Eberle comp… Lou signed him at age 28 for 6.92% of the cap. Duclair is signed for 3.98% of the cap, so comparatively Duclair’s contract is taking up a little more than half (57%) of the cap Eberle’s was. Also it’s a year shorter.
Something funny @PhysicalGraffiti ? Would love to hear your thoughts

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Is Ted Nolan a good coach?

I would say for the Isles he was. He came in with a shit roster and somehow brought them to the playoffs. Hockey is one of those sports in my opinion where a coach can hit in some places and flop in others.

Trotz was a fantastic coach but only won once with some stacked teams for example. He came into the island and just caught fire with this roster and fanbase that led to an amazing period of time.

A good coach is really just a question of have you won and my answer to that would be yes for Roy and here is why:

- Jack Adams Award
- Seemed to learn from his temper in the Q which led to very strong teams coached by him
- just led a NYI team that was likely not making playoffs under Lambert to the playoffs.

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
As others have said, streaky but his highs are really high and at his lows he has a pretty average point pace. Has generally been better than Kerfoot who is also signed at 3.5.
Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 11.33.34 PM.png

Reactions: Potvottier

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I would say for the Isles he was. He came in with a shit roster and somehow brought them to the playoffs. Hockey is one of those sports in my opinion where a coach can hit in some places and flop in others.

Trotz was a fantastic coach but only won once with some stacked teams for example. He came into the island and just caught fire with this roster and fanbase that led to an amazing period of time.
So, you can be a good coach in the past, but not a good one in the present? So, a Jack Adams from 10 years ago isn't evidence that he's a good coach now?

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Something funny @PhysicalGraffiti ? Would love to hear your thoughts

Funny you didn't respond to anything else and then come in with your cherry picked statistics based on whether he was healthy or not.

Also even funnier to suggest he is in the same league of talent as Nelson or Barzal.

You lost when you made the asinine implication I made any claims related to race, and that was after you lobbed repeated insults to show you were emotionally tied to this and can't be objective.

It's okay agent, your guy got his contract, you can relax now. Come back around to show off his jersey you bought, though I'd suggest waiting til he's DFA'd or traded (like so many other times in his illustrious Gretzky adjacent career.)

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Funny you didn't respond to anything else and then come in with your cherry picked statistics based on whether he was healthy or not.

Also even funnier to suggest he is in the same league of talent as Nelson or Barzal.

You lost when you made the asinine implication I made any claims related to race, and that was after you lobbed repeated insults to show you were emotionally tied to this and can't be objective.

It's okay agent, your guy got his contract, you can relax now. Come back around to show off his jersey you bought, though I'd suggest waiting til he's DFA'd or traded (like so many other times in his illustrious Gretzky adjacent career.)
Well my bi-racial brother, I guess a couple of posters on the board thought it was kinda weird when you responded to straight up facts about the dude saying that you didn't care what he did in the past and calling him a clown. It's pretty obvious that the stats don't matter to you, so I guess we're trying to find some *other* reason you might be so hell bent on downplaying or ignoring any potential positive that he could bring to a team that you allegedly want to succeed.

As for the cherry picking claims, we can add in the achilles season if you want. That averages out to

27 Goals
27 Assists
54 Points

Not too much of a difference there! Moves Lee's goal average in front of him by .1. Still fourth in points. Do you think that that would be good for the team?

• Haha
Reactions: PhysicalGraffiti

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Well my bi-racial brother, I guess a couple of posters on the board thought it was kinda weird when you responded to straight up facts about the dude saying that you didn't care what he did in the past and calling him a clown. It's pretty obvious that the stats don't matter to you, so I guess we're trying to find some *other* reason you might be so hell bent on downplaying or ignoring any potential positive that he could bring to a team that you allegedly want to succeed.

As for the cherry picking claims, we can add in the achilles season if you want. That averages out to

27 Goals
27 Assists
54 Points

Not too much of a difference there! Moves Lee's goal average in front of him by .1. Still fourth in points. Do you think that that would be good for the team?

We both may be bi-racial, but I'm not your brother. It sounds like you fall into the common and ignorant trap of believing someone can't be critical of someone of another race without race playing a huge if not the only factor. I stated several reasons why I wasn't a fan, but you and the other buffoon on here seem hell bent on furthering racism by invoking it during this. You also clearly showed you were biased merely because of his background.

His stats weren't all that impressive, and his play in recent memory hasn't been, especially observing his hot start and subsequent fall off. He has scored more than 20 goals in a season more than once, great, but the way he fell off with the Bolts combined with age and injuries doesn't inspire much confidence. And say what you want, but an inability to stick with many teams says something about a player.

I want the team to succeed and find difference makers. . We weren't one player away from the 2nd round, and I'd rather see us use that money next year or the following on or towards someone better.

I don't think he will score more than 20 goals. I don't think he makes us improved enough to advance in the playoffs. I don't think he's worth $3.5 million a year. Those are my opinions after what I saw from him, many times in person, over the past few years. I, just like you, could be wrong.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
We both may be bi-racial, but I'm not your brother. It sounds like you fall into the common and ignorant trap of believing someone can't be critical of someone of another race without race playing a huge if not the only factor. I stated several reasons why I wasn't a fan, but you and the other buffoon on here seem hell bent on furthering racism by invoking it during this. You also clearly showed you were biased merely because of his background.
lmaoooo my brother, if I’m skewing positive it’s because I’m hoping the new player we got is going to help the team.

Like, is it cool to see a player with the same background as me for the first time since I went to my first game 30 years ago? Of course it is lmao. But you’re sitting here acting like I’m making shit up when it was actually you who cited a bunch of bullshit.

Like you said we’ll see what happens when the year starts. I know you don’t care about what that clown did in Ottawa, but he scored at a 25+ goal pace when he was with Tkachuk, when he was with Barkov in Florida, and when he was with Kucherov in TB. So you know, every time he’s gotten a top 6 role.

But you’re right, maybe he gets DFA’d! Anything can happen 😎

Last edited:

Green

Nov 13, 2019
What an odd, and fairly stupid, open to your sentence. Are you taking lessons from impact on how to have a discussion?

That being said, generally someone who is regarded as a high quality player and locker room guy doesn't bounce around that much. If you read this thread and many others about this guy, that point of contention comes up quite often.

So that means his playoff stats are .41 points per game. Let's look at some other players.

Josh Bailey was .70 PPG, Anthony Beauvillier is .56, Pavel Buchnevich is .60 PPG, Jake Debrusk is .55 PPG.

So, hardly awful also is hardly impressive.

4 out of 10 seasons getting 20 goals seems hardly note worthy even considered the most consecutive seasons were 2 in a row.

I do enjoy you, like your buddy impact, are suggesting that my bias has anything to do with his race. Not only is it extremely ignorant, insulting, and way off base. It's a common practice, when someone has nothing of substance to add, to imply that someone can't be critical of a person who isn't white without being a racist. Without me destroying your feeble mind too much, I'm bi-racial dickhead. Your idiotic implication is what feeds racism. You should be ashamed, but I feel you may be too stupid to be that self-aware.

I won't converse or even discuss anything further with you. Once you went that route, I'm done.
well than if it isn't race based it is just stupid, the only logical reason for criticizing this deal is if you think the Islanders should miss the playoffs to get a better pick, considering the lack of prospects the Islanders have and no other free agents available who seem to consistently put up 20+ goals (or who would sign with us anyway based on history unless the Islanders overpay) this deal probably makes the team somewhat better

• Haha
Reactions: PhysicalGraffiti

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
well than if it isn't race based it is just stupid, the only logical reason for criticizing this deal is if you think the Islanders should miss the playoffs to get a better pick, considering the lack of prospects the Islanders have and no other free agents available who seem to consistently put up 20+ goals (or who would sign with us anyway based on history unless the Islanders overpay) this deal probably makes the team somewhat better

Imagine being so ignorant and race obsessed you act like you do.

Pathetic and insulting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad