Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The worst part of all of this is it is so damn predictable. Marner is obviously an extraordinary player. He is going to absolutely light it up and have a 25 or 30 game point streak by Dec 1. The media and fans here will talk about how he got too much flak all offseason and how Tavares expiring is change.

Then we will need to listen to Kypreos leak Marner wants 13+ and all the doomers say how losing Marner for nothing can't happen and we need to overpay him. And this org has shown they absolutely will do that.

Treliving will give out Huberdeau contract 2.0

Reactions: HolyCrap

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
The worst part of all of this is it is so damn predictable. Marner is obviously an extraordinary player. He is going to absolutely light it up and have a 25 or 30 game point streak by Dec 1. The media and fans here will talk about how he got too much flak all offseason and how Tavares expiring is change.

Then we will need to listen to Kypreos leak Marner wants 13+ and all the doomers say how losing Marner for nothing can't happen and we need to overpay him. And this org has shown they absolutely will do that.

Pretty much. And all while getting bounced in the first round again. Rinse and repeat.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I've spent almost every single day in the gym for the past 12 years, even when on vacation. I'm married with a kid, a house, 2 cars while managing our family owned business. I was a trainer for several years and I've said it before, I am very confident that I'm in better shape than 95% of the athletes in the league, including Marner.

You see guys like him every day, guys that claim they want it but put in half the work. If Marner wants 6-7M I don't give a shit what he does in his summer, but when you want legitimate superstar money, you wanna be paid like you're THE GUY, we expect you to train and commit yourself to the team like THE GUY. And when you don't, you absolutely have to be held accountable. There's no reason why a fitness enthusiast like myself and many others, should be training harder and committing themselves harder than a professional athlete who demands the sun and the moon.

You're trying to shit on a poster for calling out how little effort Marner puts and trying to take personal shots ? You might lack the discipline, character and work ethic it takes to put in the physical work to train and continue to get better everyday, doesn't mean someone else does. This post really highlights that and your insecurities.

Again, you want to be paid like a top 5 or 10 player in the world ? Cool, we want you to work like a top 5 or 10 player in the world, it's called accountability. There's people that get it and people that don't. Nobody is telling him not to spend time with his wife, family etc, that's all fine, but if you want all the money, we want all the effort. You don't want to give all the effort ? Cool, don't demand the big bucks.

He doesn't have to post anything on social media, your body is the truest reflection of the work you put in and what you're consuming. People can talk all the shit they want, your physique can't lie.
Jesus dude :laugh:

I completely understand thinking he’s not an effective hockey player and doesn’t play physical and that isn’t going to help you win. That’s understandable, but to sit on your phone or comp and try and convince us that he’s not in shape or doesn’t work hard is ludicrous. He plays 20 mins a night and all situations he’s not doing that without training properly and working hard throughout the year.
They really must feel he's the greatest natural athlete of all time. Plays 20 plus a night in all situation, puts up 100 points and does all this without working out. :laugh:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I don’t know what the rational of that post was tbh. Matt Martin and Ryan Reaves are two of the most in shape guys in the NHL, but no one would deem they are better players than Marner.

Physique is one part of the equation. You also need skill.

Marner’s issue isn’t even a lack of effort, skill or lack of working hard/trying. It’s purely mental.

That goes for the rest of the core, they have convinced themselves that the style they have been playing can work and lead them to a cup (clearly it cannot). They need someone to come in and disrupt that line of thinking. Whether it’s a coach, a sports psychologist, whoever but that’s the crux of the issue.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

They really must feel he's the greatest natural athlete of all time. Plays 20 plus a night in all situation, puts up 100 points and does all this without working out. :laugh:

Careful now, he’s never actually put up 100! Pacing it means jackkkk shit!! He’s a “99 point player”

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I envy Marner... but not Matthews or even Nylander or any other athlete? Give your head a shake. I've been watching the Leafs for over years...your opinion of Marner is far far further from the majority than mine is.

There are many reasons of why I don't want him on the Leafs, here's a quick list:

1) He's slow, has a weak shot and is easily knocked off the puck, traits I think are critical to playoff success
2)He's a skinny weakling afraid of contact. Clearly doesn't take offseason training seriously.
3)He is by all accounts treated like a baby... and acts like one.
4) His entitled interviews
5) His ridiculous contract expectations
6) His horsh$$$ playoffs
7) His soft play
8) Him name dropping past beloved former players (ie gilmour), a video reading a thank you letter to the fans listing a bunch of leaf greats after his ridiculous hold out.
9) He wears an A despite all the above and is counted on to be a leader of this team...yet need to be careful because he's sensitive?
10) Paul Marner (enough said)

What other leaf has this laundry list of issues?

Let's compare him to Nylander:

1) Nylander - Excellent skater, excellent shot, difficult to knock off the puck, traits I think are critical to playoff success
2)He's not huge but hes fit. He puts time into training in the offseason.
3) Of all the core 4, he was treated the worst by fans and media. Especially early on, including this board. Nobody cared about his feelings. Coaches have called him out In interviews.
4) He is always relaxed during interviews and doesn't retaliate.
5) He outplayed his last contract.
6) He's scored alot of goals in the playoffs.
7) He might be soft, but he's productive and able to lean on players to shield the puck.
8) Didnt create a thank you video thanking the fans after signing a ridiculous contract where he name dropped beloved former leafs.

I'm not a huge fan of Nylanders contract, but at least he's likeable, is more rounded offensively and doesn't come with the drama Mitch does. Nylander can handle this market, Mitch cant.

Do you want me to post for the 100th time the 7 plays (fuc$-ups) that Marner has made in the past 4 playoffs that led to gwgs against in critical must win games? 7!! Jesus... he's like the Leafs own kryptonite.

Bruh, you dislike someone cause they mentioned Dougie Gilmour in a Twitter video LMAO?! You cannot be serious. I’m sorry I just laughed for a good 3 minutes at that. That is a weak sauce thing to be upset about lol. Also who cares about Paul Marner? He’s irrelevant.

Some valid points otherwise, I see your point. Some good reasons to not want him on the team, some laughable ones. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. We do know you have to play a certain way to win, so I completely understand that point of view.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I've spent almost every single day in the gym for the past 12 years, even when on vacation. I'm married with a kid, a house, 2 cars while managing our family owned business. I was a trainer for several years and I've said it before, I am very confident that I'm in better shape than 95% of the athletes in the league, including Marner.

You see guys like him every day, guys that claim they want it but put in half the work. If Marner wants 6-7M I don't give a shit what he does in his summer, but when you want legitimate superstar money, you wanna be paid like you're THE GUY, we expect you to train and commit yourself to the team like THE GUY. And when you don't, you absolutely have to be held accountable. There's no reason why a fitness enthusiast like myself and many others, should be training harder and committing themselves harder than a professional athlete who demands the sun and the moon.

You're trying to shit on a poster for calling out how little effort Marner puts and trying to take personal shots ? You might lack the discipline, character and work ethic it takes to put in the physical work to train and continue to get better everyday, doesn't mean someone else does. This post really highlights that and your insecurities.

Again, you want to be paid like a top 5 or 10 player in the world ? Cool, we want you to work like a top 5 or 10 player in the world, it's called accountability. There's people that get it and people that don't. Nobody is telling him not to spend time with his wife, family etc, that's all fine, but if you want all the money, we want all the effort. You don't want to give all the effort ? Cool, don't demand the big bucks.

He doesn't have to post anything on social media, your body is the truest reflection of the work you put in and what you're consuming. People can talk all the shit they want, your physique can't lie.

Hockey players train with different goals than you do. Maybe you can lift heavier or have bigger chest/arms but for hockey players that stuff isn't the goal. They focus on lower body (legs and core) and endurance.

I bet Marner can run circles around you if it came to that. But again, he trains for that shit and you likely train for other goals

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Hockey players train with different goals than you do. Maybe you can lift heavier or have bigger chest/arms but for hockey players that stuff isn't the goal. They focus on lower body (legs and core) and endurance.

I bet Marner can run circles around you if it came to that. But again, he trains for that shit and you likely train for other goals
You talk a lot of shit for someone who has no idea who I am :laugh: I can certainly promise you he can't, trust me I know what hockey players train for

This posts like the others is a pile of trash. You guys are acting like he’s Phil Kessel.
For someone who works in a gym, you would be the first person to know that physique is not an indicator of how hard you work. Genetics plays a huge role.
Someone can eat right, work out lots and still not put on a ton of weight because they have a high metabolism.

You also have guys who are just gifted like Patrick Mahomes who literally has a beer belly but we saw in the Netflix serious he works out pretty much everyday. But he’s still the best QB in the league. He’s regiment isn’t about being the most fit NFL player, it’s about him being at peak performance thoughout the year and sustaining a high level of execution when he needs to.

Being in the gym everyday has nothing to do with being a pro athlete. When you’re playing a sport at a high level, whether it’s at the college level or pro level you’re on a schedule that is best suited for you to have optimal performance throughout the year. I don’t understand how you or any other person thinks they can determine whether he works hard on not. YOU ARE NOT WITH HIM 24/7. It’s purely speculation. There is no basis or fact behind your claims. It’s just what’s in your head and what you’ve decided based on nothing honestly. That’s why you and other sound like haters.

There’s nothing wrong with Marner’s body arch. Playing at 180 or 175 works best for him. Him moving up to 190/200 probably doesn’t work for him.
You couldn't be more wrong, it's always the out of the shape dudes with shit work ethic and an insane level of entitlement that say stuff like this. "If I had your genetics I would be in great shape too, doesn't have anything to do with my poor diet, training, sleeping schedule"

Mahomes is a QB he doesn't need to be in insane shape, for a top line hockey player yes you do. Especially one who gets physically bullied, bullied so much he's terrified to go into corners and battle in the playoffs.

This sounds an awful lot like what Laine was crying about when Wheeler and Scheifele told him to start training properly.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
So some folks are saying that Vegas are still nosing around. Money is a big issue to both teams and any deal has to be dollar in and dollar out

McNabb + ?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I completely understand thinking he’s not an effective hockey player and doesn’t play physical and that isn’t going to help you win. That’s understandable, but to sit on your phone or comp and try and convince us that he’s not in shape or doesn’t work hard is ludicrous. He plays 20 mins a night and all situations he’s not doing that without training properly and working hard throughout the year.
Try reading carefully

If you watched him in the playoffs and you think he works hard then I really got nothing else to say to you

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

The issue is he hasn’t really improved at anything since his second or third year in the league. His cardio is great, no complaints, but when you watch obsessed maniacs like Crosby or McDavid develop a rocket winning shot over an offseason it leaves a lot to be desired. I guess he’s taken his shot from junior level to somewhere around league average but other than that he’s mostly the same guy he was before the pandemic. If maintaining the same level requires this Herculean amount of work he’s putting in every off season I guess you can’t really complain if this is truly his best effort.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You talk a lot of shit for someone who has no idea who I am :laugh: I can certainly promise you he can't, trust me I know what hockey players train for

You couldn't be more wrong, it's always the out of the shape dudes with shit work ethic and an insane level of entitlement that say stuff like this. "If I had your genetics I would be in great shape too, doesn't have anything to do with my poor diet, training, sleeping schedule"

Mahomes is a QB he doesn't need to be in insane shape, for a top line hockey player yes you do. Especially one who gets physically bullied, bullied so much he's terrified to go into corners and battle in the playoffs.

This sounds an awful lot like what Laine was crying about when Wheeler and Scheifele told him to start training properly.

You sure about that? LOL I’m a former pro athlete and collegiate athlete. I don’t know you, so Im not gonna comment on your physique, but I’m def not out of shape. I’ve been working hard my entire life hahaha.

Early in my collegiate career I worked out extremely hard, ate good, but still couldn’t put on weight. I had some asshats on my team that would say the same thing as you, “you’re just not working hard, lazy ect.” Making a ton of assumptions. I had metabolism issues until blood work provided some necessary answers and my physique changed after that once we got those issues under control. Even despite all of that, it never affected my performance, was able to grab a pro contract right out of college.

Point being is you don’t have a clue. There could be a ton of factors, from genetics, to low testosterone, to your program being designed specific ways for performance over strength.

Putting on muscle is gonna do nothing for Marner if he doesn’t address the mental aspect of not going to the front of the net.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The issue is he hasn’t really improved at anything since his second or third year in the league. His cardio is great, no complaints, but when you watch obsessed maniacs like Crosby or McDavid develop a rocket winning shot over an offseason it leaves a lot to be desired. I guess he’s taken his shot from junior level to somewhere around league average but other than that he’s mostly the same guy he was before the pandemic. If maintaining the same level requires this Herculean amount of work he’s putting in every off season I guess you can’t really complain if this is truly his best effort.
These guys are completely missing the point, no one gives a shit if he doesn't look like a body builder

When you bend the organization over for every single penny you can get, when you demand to be one of the highest paid players in the league, we expect you to give us your 100% as well. All these posters the last 2 pages completely missed the point.

If he wants 6-7M whatever, go have fun. But when you're consistently a ghost in the playoffs, when you refuse to go into corners because you're scared of physicality, when you keep failing year after year, you want 11M ? You can't make demands like him and then give the organization a complete dog shit effort.

Reactions: IPS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Where has all the hard work been focused on?

His main weaknesses (Pretty blatantly) are being too physically weak on the ice, lack of real top end speed, and his shot. I'll give him credit with his shot, he's improved it a bit, but the other things - not even close. Kucherov had similar weaknesses physicality wise earlier in his career and he's shored them up extremely well, hell he was even a bit smaller than Marner when he got into the league. Now granted part of it is because he became a very dirty player (which he does some very despicable shit on the ice) but I guess it comes with the territory of making yourself more physical when you're smaller than everyone else.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
You sure about that? LOL I’m a former pro athlete and collegiate athlete. I don’t know you, so Im not gonna comment on your physique, but I’m def not out of shape. I’ve been working hard my entire life hahaha.

Early in my collegiate career I worked out extremely hard, ate good, but still couldn’t put on weight. I had some asshats on my team that would say the same thing as you, “you’re just not working hard, lazy ect.” Making a ton of assumptions. I had metabolism issues until blood work provided some necessary answers and my physique changed after that once we got those issues under control. Even despite all of that, it never affected my performance, was able to grab a pro contract right out of college.

Point being is you don’t have a clue. There could be a ton of factors, from genetics, to low testosterone, to your program being designed specific ways for performance over strength.

Putting on muscle is gonna do nothing for Marner if he doesn’t address the mental aspect of not going to the front of the net.
Genetics don't make you anorexic or obese, if you couldn't put on weight it means you were consuming fewer calories than you were burning, it's pretty basic. I don't give a shit about Marner putting on beef, the point I'm making is, we want effort. Including the summer. Notice how we don't have these standards for a guy like Domi ? He's not demanding what Marner is. Or Nylander ? Because he actually shows up in the playoffs. It's accountability.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Well that’s just incorrect. Marner’s goals have gone up every year. This year he had a dip due to injury. But he was pacing to score more than 35 this year. His shot and goal scoring has improved every year.

Again to me that isn’t really an issue of effort. Cause Marner still works hard on the ice, the avoidance of the middle of the ice, that’s more of a mental thing. In that regard I do think he needs to work on mentally getting to a place where he can absorb contact and not be afraid to go to the dirty areas.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Well that would be bad but I doubt it happens. Marner wants to play here and I’d bet if you asked him today there is no way he’d take 11. However when it gets down to the midnight hour he’ll take 11. We’ve all been there before in some type of negotiation where at the end of the day we think, I can’t believe I offered that much or conversely I can’t believe I sold for that little.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Genetics don't make you anorexic or obese, if you couldn't put on weight it means you were consuming fewer calories than you were burning, it's pretty basic. I don't give a shit about Marner putting on beef, the point I'm making is, we want effort. Including the summer. Notice how we don't have these standards for a guy like Domi ? He's not demanding what Marner is. Or Nylander ? Because he actually shows up in the playoffs. It's accountability.

That actually had nothing to do with why I couldn’t put on weight. Test levels were in the low normal range. Once that issue was addressed and resolved, I was able to put on weight no problem.

And what effort? You keep going on about effort in the summer, Marner is not obligated to satisfy your weird obsession with him by posting videos of him in the gym or allowing reporters to follow him to the rink lol.

Reactions: AvroArrow

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
That actually had nothing to do with why I couldn’t put on weight. Test levels were in the low normal range. Once that issue was addressed and resolved, I was able to put on weight no problem.

And what effort? You keep going on about effort in the summer, Marner is not obligated to satisfy your weird obsession with him by posting videos of him in the gym or allowing reporters to follow him to the rink lol.
Strawman, nobody is asking him to post videos in the gym. Try not talking out of your ass for once please.

Address the actual point being made, if you demand all the money in the world, the organization and fan base demands the effort to match. You wanna dance around in the summers doing back flips on boats days after getting booted, cool go for it, but don't show up to the negotiating table saying you're worth the same as guys like Mackinnon, Draisaitl, Matthews.

He doesn't compete with effort, I don't know what games you saw where you thought he was actually playing with effort in the post-season.

Take a look at what guys like Kobe were doing after losing in the playoffs. That is the kind of effort you want out of your highest paid players, not whatever nonsense this is.

Reactions: Kazparov and IPS

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Strawman, nobody is asking him to post videos in the gym. Try not talking out of your ass for once please.

Address the actual point being made, if you demand all the money in the world, the organization and fan base demands the effort to match. You wanna dance around in the summers doing back flips on boats days after getting booted, cool go for it, but don't show up to the negotiating table saying you're worth the same as guys like Mackinnon, Draisaitl, Matthews.

He doesn't compete with effort, I don't know what games you saw where you thought he was actually playing with effort in the post-season.

Take a look at what guys like Kobe were doing after losing in the playoffs. That is the kind of effort you want out of your highest paid players, not whatever nonsense this is.

LOL you think MacKinnon, Crosby, Matthews aren’t doing the same shit? HAHAHA. MacKinnon was literally on overdrive three weeks ago talking about how he was on a week long bender with Crosby and golfing immediately after the season. They got after it together lol. Bro all these athletes are on boats, partying. If you have a problem with Marner dancing in his down time that says more about you than it does about his work ethic.

Did we see McDavid running to the LCBO to buy cases of booze after a game. So I guess his work ethic is dog shit cause he wasn’t immediately in the gym. Do you see how dumb that statement is? You can’t really make any assumptions about someone based on a 30 second clip from the off-season.

Again, I don’t think anyone on here including myself can really say whether these guys are working hard or not, we are not in the gym with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad