Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov - Protecting Our Investment

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No idea how substantiated said rumor was but supposedly Benning circled back after the initial OEL trade attempt fell through and made a lowball offer (somewhere in the 3M range). Which pissed Tanev off.

True or not, it isn't surprising in the slightest he wouldn't bring it up later on. There's no real need to say "they lowballed me"

I don’t recall hearing a rumour/report that Tanev was low balled. Only heard that he didn’t get an offer and then the Canucks tried to circle back and it was too late.

Tanev was telling people he didn’t re-sign with the Canucks because he was pissed off and that he wanted to feel wanted. I don’t see many reasons why he wouldn’t say that the Flames offer was also substantially better if that was the case. Like if the Canucks offered him a 2 year deal and Calgary offered him 4 that would be a no brainer to most.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
No idea how substantiated said rumor was but supposedly Benning circled back after the initial OEL trade attempt fell through and made a lowball offer (somewhere in the 3M range). Which pissed Tanev off.

True or not, it isn't surprising in the slightest he wouldn't bring it up later on. There's no real need to say "they lowballed me"
Benning was in a hopeless salary cap vice coming out of the pandemic bubble season. Reportedly Tanev, Tofoli and Markstom were all anxious to re-up with the Canucks. But just no money, so they all walked.

And the Canucks went out and blew their wad on Nate Schmidt, Braden Holtby and a couple of other non-descript UFA wingers. Predictably, the Canucks finished dead last in the 'one and done' Canadian NHL Division.

That should have been 'it for the entire management regime. But for reasons know only to Aquilini, he brought them all back, and than had to clean house two months into the following season.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Benning was in a hopeless salary cap vice coming out of the pandemic bubble season. Reportedly Tanev, Tofoli and Markstom were all anxious to re-up with the Canucks. But just no money, so they all walked.

And the Canucks went out and blew their wad on Nate Schmidt, Braden Holtby and a couple of other non-descript UFA wingers. Predictably, the Canucks finished dead last in the 'one and done' Canadian NHL Division.

That should have been 'it for the entire management regime. But for reasons know only to Aquilini, he brought them all back, and than had to clean house two months into the following season.
They had the money. Schmidt and Holtby were enough money for Tanev and Toffoli. They could also have made moves to clear money.

Markstrom's issue was the NMC. We were forced to pick between him and Demko because if we gave him a nmc then we instantly lose Demko to the expansion draft.

Benning missed out on them because he was, quite literally with no exaggeration, incapable of doing two things at the the same time and spent the entire summer chasing OEL.

Reactions: Bourne Endeavor

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I remember when Tanev left and Benning replaced him with a more expensive Schmidt and gave up a 3rd to do it and everyone was hailing him as the Messiah for such an amazing trade.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
They had the money. Schmidt and Holtby were enough money for Tanev and Toffoli. They could also have made moves to clear money.

Markstrom's issue was the NMC. We were forced to pick between him and Demko because if we gave him a nmc then we instantly lose Demko to the expansion draft.

Benning missed out on them because he was, quite literally with no exaggeration, incapable of doing two things at the the same time and spent the entire summer chasing OEL.

Commando Dimbo couldn't do two things at once. Dude couldn't even do one thing at a time. Heck, even a fraction of one thing gave him so much trouble.

The man is a genuine imbecile, whom the league realized after just a few months after his hiring, then gleefully and collectively took advantage of.

Also you noticed how this idiot always seems to act in a way that, in his eyes, put him ten step ahead of others? In reality he was twenty steps closer to a crater full of shit while others couldn't even get away fast enough.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Commando Dimbo couldn't do two things at once. Dude couldn't even do one thing at a time. Heck, even a fraction of one thing gave him so much trouble.

The man is a genuine imbecile, whom the league realized after just a few months after his hiring, then gleefully and collectively took advantage of.

Also you noticed how this idiot always seems to act in a way that, in his eyes, put him ten step ahead of others? In reality he was twenty steps closer to a crater full of shit while others couldn't even get away fast enough.
IMO he lost the concept of time, "one thing at a time" he couldn't "see" what the future might look like, just a "now" guy.

"It was our intention to try and get him signed, and if we could have had a little more time, we could have tried to work through that,” Benning said, according to The Province's Ben Kuzma. "It got to a point where I know Tyler wanted to come back, and we were trying to figure it out.

"We kind of ran out of time with him getting offers and one he needed to take. We would have had to move money out."

Tanev;

"I didn’t expect to leave Vancouver. I thought I was going to stay."
The defenseman revealed that an offer from the Canucks only materialized a few hours into free agency, leaving him caught off guard and prompting him to explore new opportunities. He added:
"But they didn’t make an offer until a couple hours into free agency."
Signed Holtby , Virtanen 3 mil, traded for 7.35 mil OEL, signed Garland for 4.95 mil, Schmidt 5.95 mil ...

Let's just say that should be a little bit of a teaching season for posters. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.
Meaning that some of these players were a real roll of the dice and chemistry never developed. If anything it caused more friction in the room.

Sure this is a fantasy type forum but sometimes player's are considered like mere robots, playing for pay and all would want to come here regardless of personal desires.

If there are players that WANT to be here and they have demonstrated that they can be team guys and are making the team better then those are the one's the team should roll the dice on.

Mercenaries like Eriksson might not be as committed to the team as much as playing for the paycheck.

For AHLer's and borderline guys, sure they will play anywhere they can get their foot in the door.

The cap "rules", determines many of the team's moves.

Media is making the cap a reason for not signing one player but signing another.
"Go for Guentzel at 8+mil" But "Can't afford Zadorov at 5 mil"

Work it out for yourself with the cap space they have now.

They could sign Hronek to 7 mil, Zadorov 5 mil, Myers 2.5-3 mil, Joshua 2 mil, even Lindholm at 7 mil and still have space left.

They have 23+ mil before LTIR is used that total above is 25 mil. Meaning they would be into LTIR territory BUT they are all signed with available cap space.

Then IF they trade away Garland, Mikheyev or Boeser any one or two they may have enough to make a very good trade with Utah, Columbus or Carolina.

But with a year together under their belt and with Tocchet they will improve especially if Pettersson lives up to his potential.

A Hughes - Pesce and Hronek - Zadorov pairings might be the most potent top 4 or top two defence pairings in the league especially with Myers - Soucy playing in the 5/6 pairings.

Probably any player will fit with Hughes, they all have worked and he has improved every season as he gains strength and experience.

Sure the defence would be more expensive but within Tocchet's system much more valuable.

They could ice
Necas - Pettersson - Lindhom/Mikheyev (fully recovered)/Hoglander
Boeser - Miller - Mikheyev (counting on his full recovery)/Suter
Garland - ? Blueger(Kotkaneimi?) - Joshua
? - Aman - Podkolzin?

Hughes - Pesce/Dillion/Kesserling
Zadorov - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Juulsen

Demko - Silovs.

There would need to be a little working on the cap but not much and there would be familiarity, chemistry and improvement in every area.

Even if Hronek is dealt, if with the right team a younger larger RHD could be coming back if they didn't sign Pesce in FA. Kesserling, Jirieck,

Who knows what they will do or when. But with cap space there is a bit.
Do they decide that a step back will mean bigger improvement later? Taking on some younger, larger players and counting on Tocchet's system to keep more than just looking good losing as in the Benning debacle of competitive losses?

I just hope, there it is, hope, something happens with the team soon, I am starting to lose interest with summer rolling around. NOT

Last edited:

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I wonder what their final offer is. Maybe 4.25x6? That would get to 25.5M, which is in the ballpark of what Zad is looking for overall in a deal...

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I wonder what their final offer is. Maybe 4.25x6? That would get to 25.5M, which is in the ballpark of what Zad is looking for overall in a deal...
Is it? I think that is like $10m TCV shy of what his UFA ($6m x 6y) market value is.

I think the Canucks cap constrains mean they will need to ante up additional term to get them in the same TCV ballpark ($5m x 7y).

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
Is it? I think that is like $10m TCV shy of what his UFA ($6m x 6y) market value is.

I think the Canucks cap constrains mean they will need to ante up additional term to get them in the same TCV ballpark ($5m x 7y).
Yeah they might be looking at longer term. Zadorov has made clear term is paramount to him.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
IMO he lost the concept of time, "one thing at a time" he couldn't "see" what the future might look like, just a "now" guy.

"It was our intention to try and get him signed, and if we could have had a little more time, we could have tried to work through that,” Benning said, according to The Province's Ben Kuzma. "It got to a point where I know Tyler wanted to come back, and we were trying to figure it out.

"We kind of ran out of time with him getting offers and one he needed to take. We would have had to move money out."

says the guy who pushed laurence gilman, ie the guy who would have done that work, out

Reactions: theguardianII

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

If that's what it takes, I think he would already be signed by now. 4.2 cap hit would be great and he's just turning 36 when the contract is up.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
If that's what it takes, I think he would already be signed by now. 4.2 cap hit would be great and he's just turning 36 when the contract is up.
I'm guessing that's what they offered. That's not the same as what Zadorov's camp would accept. My prediction is that the they likely won't be able to reach a number both sides can agree to. But it really depends on how much Zadorov wants to stay in Van. He'll have to take a haircut to do so and 6 years is a lot of term to offer.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

If that's what the Z side is offering, I'm taking it. I think there's still value in the contract in as long as year 5 and I'm very skeptical about the playoffs being some revelation in his game. I just really like this player.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I remember when Tanev left and Benning replaced him with a more expensive Schmidt and gave up a 3rd to do it and everyone was hailing him as the Messiah for such an amazing trade.
Bit of an over exaggeration, the offseason was a disaster overall but in a vacuum at the time that was the best "value" deal Benning had made.

Except it was also obvious at the time that it was a deal that fell into his lap as Vegas needed to clear space to sign Pietrangelo. And not long after that value would become the norm for a contract like Schmidt in the flat cap years. And coach Green got no real value out of Schmidt in the lineup, leading to Benning just trading him back out again for a 3rd at the deadline so he could get back to chasing after OEL like he was acquiring a potential Norris candidate.

Reactions: Nick Lang

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
For Zadorov personally I get the impression that he wants to come back to Vancouver but also wants to test out exactly what his value is on the open market. Like from his camp maybe Vancouver is offering 4.5/6 right now but on July 1st maybe Anaheim offers him 6/6 so he brings that back to Allvin and gets our offer upped to 5.25/6 and resigns here.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
For Zadorov personally I get the impression that he wants to come back to Vancouver but also wants to test out exactly what his value is on the open market. Like from his camp maybe Vancouver is offering 4.5/6 right now but on July 1st maybe Anaheim offers him 6/6 so he brings that back to Allvin and gets our offer upped to 5.25/6 and resigns here.

I believe this too but is there no way logistically for Zadorov to find out his worth? I mean technically players can’t talk contract with other teams until July 1st but there are ways around it? One would suppose that his agent would be in a position to best advise Zadorov as to want he can get on the open market and be reasonably accurate doing so.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
trying to do the math.
what do we have to play with.
10 of 14 forwards signs next - who do we bring back out of Blueger Joshua Lafferty and Lindom, and for how much. Thats $41,250K.

we have 4 Dmen signed for $11,875. We have Hronek, Zadorov, Friedman, Cole and Meyers. We have 2 goalies signed, and a contract for Silovs.

So we have $M26 available for 10. players. Goalies $5.75 + Silovs is getting a raise.say $4x4?) Lindholm wants 8X8 Zadorov(say $5,5x 5) Hronek wants big money, say $6.75 x 6 gets her. done.

That adds up over $25 M on 5 players.

We n eed to dump salary

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
trying to do the math.
what do we have to play with.
10 of 14 forwards signs next - who do we bring back out of Blueger Joshua Lafferty and Lindom, and for how much. Thats $41,250K.

we have 4 Dmen signed for $11,875. We have Hronek, Zadorov, Friedman, Cole and Meyers. We have 2 goalies signed, and a contract for Silovs.

So we have $M26 available for 10. players. Goalies $5.75 + Silovs is getting a raise.say $4x4?) Lindholm wants 8X8 Zadorov(say $5,5x 5) Hronek wants big money, say $6.75 x 6 gets her. done.

That adds up over $25 M on 5 players.

We n eed to dump salary
Hmmm, maybe a little high on Silovs and not enough for Hronek unless you think it is an arbitration decision for one year. And only 4 dmen signed two of which are AHL players. And a need of 4 forward replacements. 8 players with 26 million

If Joshua is thought to have had a break out year and deserves quadrupling (400+%) his salary based on one good year then why is Zadorov getting a mere 40% increase so far out of the world?

All this Zadorov talk is click bait and a diversion from the Hronek problems.

Some of these other suggestions by many posters create a team in it's mid to late 30's in just a few years. Sort of like the Islanders and how is that working out for them?

IF all the suggestion hit;
Guentzel - 30yr next year finishing at 37
Miller - 31 next year finishing at 37
Lindholm - 30 next year finishing at 37
Pettersson - 26 next year finishing at 34
Boeser? - 28 next season

Those last numbers aren't very good looking.
Not all players will be as effective as Crosby and Stamkos, Tavares is falling quickly and none of the above have been as good as long as any of these at 8 mil or so.

And then there is the doubling of OEL's buyout the next two years AFTER this year.

Now defencemen seem to be able to last a lot longer when older, large ones even longer. I have no doubt Myers will be pretty effective in the 5/6 spot at 37.

If the sports shows really want more clicks how about this;

The team could lose Zadorov, Hronek, Myers, Cole all for next year.
Demko isn't ready to play.

Dillion becomes the #2 defenceman, but then that is where some posters think he should be if Hronek goes, Juulsen the #3.

Local Media sports shows are ALL being extremely negative right now, sort of like helping the team to grind these players, these stories get picked up by national sports media that don't bother to research for themselves.

Sports show prioritize imaginations of Guentzel or a mythical winger for Pettersson at the cost of their own players that are known.

A winger need is not the same as a defence man, left or right isn't as important as being made out. Think on it if a player is coming down the center of the ice is there a center ice defenceman? No, either side has to move to the middle.
Whereas winger generally stick to their side in the dzone.

Why aren't shows promoting keeping some of these players, besides Joshua, to stay and why do they ignore the 26 mil in cap space, they constantly just say, they don't have enough to sign all these guys. But they do.

I can't wait until the draft and July 4th and all or most of this bullshit is done. And then the sports shows go on to say what a great job Allvin/Rutherford did spending the money they had to spend on these guys. After all it is only the sports shows that keep saying they don't have enough when they include mythical players.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChilliBilly

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Joshua wants $4 million not $2 million and Lindholm wants $8 million. I'm certain both are gone July 1 and fine with that. Hronek too if he won't take a reasonable contract. We could recoup some draft picks or a prospect that way. I think Zadorov will be re-signed and likely Guentzel and Tanev will be added as UFAs. I also wish the Canucks would stop wasting Garland on the 3rd line as he can also play LW. Put him up with Miller and Boeser. Put Guentzel, Pettersson and Hoglander together. Go out and get 2 players to add to the 3rd line made up of hungry UFAs on cheap one year prove it deals. I believe Raty isn't too far away from being an effective player. He could surprise a few next season. Stop overpaying 3rd and 4th liners. Spend the leftovers on getting the deepest possible blueline because of injuries and keep some extra cap for waivers or trades during the season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I will consider this management no better than Benning if they lose Zadorov and keep that braindead giraffe

Keeping Myers shouldn't have anything to do with keeping Zadorov. It's term and $ with Zadorov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad