News Article: Linus Ullmark: "I Was Surprised That They Kept (Ilya) Samsonov In For That Many Games in the playoffs".

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
That's the entire management philosophy of the team, they're so incredibly risk averse that they let things run out for much longer than they should

You saw it in this series with Samsonov, and we're seeing it with how they treat the core 4
That’s called Inertia and is a real thing in business.

Reactions: leafsfan5

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I disagree with the notion that Ullmark shouldn't say anything because he sucked in his one game. If anything it proves his point; he played, he was bad, and he was benched.

It's not as much of a critique on Samsonov as it is on Keefe. Which is funny because this was probably Keefe's "best" playoffs.

I'm tired of this iteration of the Leafs and will be happy to move on from some players, I'm also sick of playing the "what-if" game with them. That said, they likely win that series if Woll got the net starting game 2 or played game 7. The team was way way more confident in front of him.

Unfortunately he's made of glass so maybe he gets injured after a period of things went differently. Figured, the Leafs finally get a goalie who shows up in big games in the playoffs and he can't stay healthy.

Yep. The offense has been poor for a number of years now, "lead" by the core four, but good teams win sometimes 1-0.

The score is deceiving in that game. Samsonov killed them in game 7.
Exactly

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
And Woll played poorly down the stretch and got hurt again and couldn’t help the team. Samsanov let in one goal in regulation in game seven. That should be good enough to win the game.
Samsonov has a whole career of playing like shit. Woll was bad for a couple weeks. Only a clown starts Samsonov

Reactions: bax and Al14

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
maybe considering he's not anywhere to be seen while his team puts on an all time collapse and the peeons on this site still worship him as some kind of playoff god
Well you know how tough that Atlantic division is…

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Well you know how tough that Atlantic division is…
one could say tough as hell because the team is so beat up now they're blowing that series lead.

easy to spin whatever narratives you want. Like how reeves has more goals than draisatl in stanley cup finals games

• Haha
Reactions: Kurtz

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
one could say tough as hell because the team is so beat up now they're blowing that series lead.

easy to spin whatever narratives you want. Like how reeves has more goals than draisatl in stanley cup finals games
And everyone of our 400 million core.
At least you know where Tkachuk’s been the past 2 years playing all those extra game.
Let me know when you find our core.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
And everyone of our 400 million core.
At least you know where Tkachuk’s been the past 2 years playing all those extra game.
Let me know when you find our core.
extra games only to have about the same ppg as marner in the playoffs. Having quit on the flames and now turning into casper in the finals.

just because the leafs core hasnt showered themselves with glory doesnt mean we got valorize narratives on players that aren't true

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Yes Ullmark, let's see how many games you can win when your team doesn't score more than 2 goals

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
When you look at the Leafs it's obvious a 13 year old avg fan could do a better job. They are either incompetent or purposely destroying the team. Zero foresight or common sense. There is now no way this current team ever wins a cup. It's just a complete mess. They always wait way too long to do the totally obvious.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
It’s a really unfiltered take by Ullmark. It would be pretty awkward for him to end up playing for Keefe or with Sammy down the road.

Was his context that Boston was the same in front of Swayman?

I wonder if he gave the interview before or after the Devils traded for Markstrom..

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
If he gets traded to Ottawa, his numbers will nosedive.
I dunno, he had really great underlying numbers in Buffalo the year before he signed in Boston. If the Sens can figure out how to play team defence they could be a good team.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
“I was surprised that they kept [Ilya] Samsonov in for that many games against us in the playoffs,” said Ullmark. “I felt that every time we played the Leafs and he [Joseph Woll] was in net, it felt like it was more of a challenge even though I’m not a player. Just watching him, it looked like he was in so much more control of the situation that was thrown at him.”

“As a goalie and the players as well, they feed off of these things. If they see a guy that may be flopping around a little bit too much or leaving out crazy rebounds, feeling that you always have to struggle with it, then you get a little bit more on edge compared to if you have a goaltender that contains the puck or puts pucks in areas that are not a threat,” Ullmark explained.

I think he said what a lot of Leaf fans were already thinking. I think it's an inditement on Keefe and we all know that the analytics departments of all NHL teams influence who plays and who does not, kinda an inditement on the Leafs "system" or management. Opposing players see things that the Leafs staff, who dictate how we play and who plays... things fans see, management does not see... do we have a case of tunnel vision with Leaf management?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I do think it’s funny that he was the one Everyone was surprised that Boston kept in last year and they are trying to trade.

I mean. Have some perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad