News Article: Linus Ullmark: "I Was Surprised That They Kept (Ilya) Samsonov In For That Many Games in the playoffs".

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Yeah lets just answer with whataboutism and dont take any critic, if its not from a vezina goalie.. Even if it is.

I dont care if it is satan who tell the truth, still the truth.

Reactions: CincoHolio

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Ullmark was surprised because he's not a Leafs fan.

Anyone who follows the team knew what was coming. Plenty of posters on here were saying Woll should have been the starting goalie from the get go. If the fans knew better why couldn't Keefe.

I know Ullmark is just smack talking.

He's still pissed he didn't get another start after losing the second game. This is his way of telling everyone he agrees with Montgomery's decision. When you shit the bed you deserve a time out.

I'm sick of all these mentally fragile basketcases for starters needing a sabbatical halfway through the year.

And as much as I like Woll he can't be trusted to remain healthy when it matters most. If Keefe had started him a game or two earlier it just means he would have been hurt a game or two earlier. Once you realize that fact maybe it isn't so surprising Keefe stuck with Samsonov until he had no choice but to use Woll.

Keefe knew he only had a couple bullets in his secret weapon so he saved them until it was life or death situation.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Boston didn't lose those games because of Ullmark. Toronto lost because Swayman was way better than Samsonov. Goaltending is everything. Roy, Brodeur, Hasek would singlehandedly win series. The only forward I can think was Lemieux.

Reactions: Finger Licking Good

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Toronto has their minds made up about Samsonov.

Other teams have their mind made up about Samsonov.

This quote won't help or hurt him.

He'll get picked up again, but not from TOR.
I wouldn't be so sure. If the goalie market dries up they may Have no choice.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
No, Toronto could go 1a 1b and just spend on dmen. Woll needs to work on some things to play 40 games without injury. Whoever gets hot plays. A good defense can trim a goal a game. I never wanted Markstrom. He hasn't played well since Vancouver dumped him. At 35 he is average not worth 6 mill.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That’s Keefe for you, needs an overwhelming body of evidence (sample size if you will) to accept things that anyone with two eyes can see isn’t working.

Looking forward to hopefully some more sensible coaching and quicker adjustments with Berube.

Player basically suggests Keefe was making stupid decisions. We are all here thinking the same things for year now, well some of us.

Meanwhile, Shanahan still figuring this stuff out. BT obviously not able to remove Keefe at this point because the big dumb president is going to keep pushing big dumb ideas.

Sammy had no value. He was on waivers earlier in the season for free and no one claimed him.

Shanahan is the smartest guy in the room. Lol

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Was there anyone that watched that didn't know that? Not sure why he’d say that publicly.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Ok Ullmark. Lets see how many games you win when your team scores less than 2 goals a game
If Ullmark doesn’t play in the series, it likely doesn’t go seven. He let in one blocker side softy in game 2 that Swayman was swatting away with ease.

To be fair Boston’s D was more good goaltending than good D. Let’s see what he’s made of if gets move to Carolina or Ottawa.

Reactions: fahad203

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Woll in the Boston series was not Woll in the regular season leading up to the playoffs. That's why. Samsonov was the better option out of the two. Had Woll played like he did in G5 and G6 in the regular season, of course he would have been the starter.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He's right to a point, sure. Still, Toronto couldn't muster enough offence at times and Samsonov wasn't always that bad. In contrast, Woll was simply that good. Appreciate him caring though. :sarcasm:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Eh who cares?

Between Keefe, Samsonov and Woll you know the Woll would have gotten a fluke injury like he did, Samsonov would have been up and down and whatever mistakes Keefe made would have led to a Game 7 loss anyway.

Samsonov also gave them enough of a platform to win in Game 7 if some offense could have shown up too. Yeah the way he lost looks bad but it’s all the offensive no shows that killed them.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
If u trust your goalie you play better offence, most of the time.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
One game earlier.

That’s all it would have taken. One game. Maybe Woll has 5 days off and is healthy for game 7.

If my aunt had a .. she’s be my uncle.

It’s all moot, and the coach is gone. Sammy is not the answer. Best to roll the dice on someone new, and cut our losses. Can’t be any worse.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I went back and listened to the whole podcast. They were as,ing Ullmark about playing for the leafs, and then asking him what he thought of Woll. He was praising Woll by saying how good the Leafs looked with him in net. He had also been talking about goalies going on a roll, and sometimes you end up watching.

The Sammy shot was inadvertent - I imagine after he thought “oh oh” but at the time he was just being candid with his buddy Hutton.

Reactions: Kurtz and LeafEgo

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Completely agree with Ullmark it’s insane they bet on Sammy this playoffs despite a horrible season.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
"No choice"?

What? Is this team going to win a Stanley Cup if only the right goalie were available?

What do you think would happen if they traded for the very best goalie available?

I'm sorry to make this as an example, but I really hope Shanny isn't pushing the win now influence on Tre. It will just end up as bad as the Dubas days with wasted assets and no sustained success.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
For what it's worth, both the starters in these Stanley Cup finals are sporting a .903 and a .901 save percentage, which isn't too far off from Sammy's .896. On the other hand, Ullmark's .886 looks even worse when you see Swayman posting a .933 so maybe Linus should take a tip and keep his trapper tight lipped.

The biggest issue is Toronto's lack of scoring, something which has not been commensurate with the pay. Since Matthews's introduction into the league, the Leafs have made the playoffs annually. In the same time, there have only been 10 player playoff campaigns that were point per game or better. By that, I mean Matthews has only hit ppg 3x, Marner's hit ppg 3x, Nylander's hit it 2x, while Kadri (not Tavares) and Rielly have hit it once.

This is what we've gotten after 8 freaking kicks at the can.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Samsanov was the reason we lost that series to Boston. He is terrible and Ulmark is right. If another nhl club picks up Samsanov they are either trying to tank or are incompetent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad