Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov - Protecting Our Investment

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Which were his other good playoff performances ... I don't remember any, and the numbers are pedestrian?
I recall that he was notably better in the playoffs when he was in Colorado. Not that he's expected to contribute much offensively, but his last season in Colorado, he had 3 goals 5 points in the playoffs.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
You had me until the end. I would love to keep him as a #5, for about 4x4. It would have been great to get him on his last contract and he's a player I wanted since draft day. Not too interested in giving him a pricey retirement deal though. I bet it would come back to bite us.

Yeah...for sure. I don't mean overpaying him. But if he were to get like a low end #4 money, I don't think I would be too bothered by it.

Reactions: Nick Lang

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Reports of the Canucks and Zadorov getting close on a deal, were denied by his agent this morning. But I guess where there's smoke, there's fire.

I suppose it's a good sign that the parties are still talking contract. Seems though, that among all the Canuck UFA's, he might have jumped to the head of the list as a priority.

Reactions: Bgav

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
No way. If the Canucks let him walk it will be a long held regret. Mark my words.
It isn't just the player it is how he meshed with others. Chemistry. Sometimes that never develops.
He isn't Chara or Byfuglien but he isn't Krug either.
He has presence on the ice and no small skill set too.

Still the team has the cap space to re-sign Hronek to around 7.5 , Myers around 3 and Zadorov around 5.5. That's 16 of the 23 million they have now.
That leaves 7 for the other 3 players. 9 mil if LTIR is used

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Big Z adds a lot to Vancouver as we’re not amongst the biggest and strongest teams in the league and rely more on skill & finesse, however in the playoffs when players are playing extremely hard and adding a little mustard to the end of their checks (plus the slew footing, spearing, slashing, cross checking etc.) a player like Z makes a profound difference. Should be a priority to resign.

The chemistry in the locker room, meshing well with the team, funny positive personality is an added bonus.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In the 'for what it's worth' department, the annual 'do not sign' list of NHL UFA's is up on the Net.

Both Zadorov and Lindholm make the list at #4 and #5. Their assessment is too much money and too much term for guys who are either at 30 or in Zadorov's case only a year away.

But that's always the trade-off, extending players at 30 to longer-term deals. You're almost conceding that after two or three good seasons; the contract won't age well when the player works his way through his mid-30's.

Of course with guys like Eriksson and Myers (up until this year); there never really were 'any good years'......mostly bad contracts that didn't deliver much in the first few year and looked even worse going forward.

So at the end of the day, it's always going to be a big gamble.

DiggerDan

Jul 22, 2003
Canada
hfboards.com
The more I've watched these playoffs, the more I think we need to re-sign Zadorov over some others. I'd honestly prioritize him over Lindholm and Joshua. Keeping forwards to the the outside and having a physical, mobile defense is arguably more important than ever in this modern game.

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
The more I've watched these playoffs, the more I think we need to re-sign Zadorov over some others. I'd honestly prioritize him over Lindholm and Joshua. Keeping forwards to the the outside and having a physical, mobile defense is arguably more important than ever in this modern game.
I agree with that

Reactions: DiggerDan

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Can’t replace someone like him in free agency, that size & physicality while playing effective hockey is a rarity, other players are a dime a dozen but players with Big Z physical attributes are very hard to come by.

Reactions: The Colonel

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It certainly looks like Lindholm is gone; and the odds on Zadorov are now down to less that 50/50. And if the rumors are factual, Joshua might be entertaining offers of close to $4m a season. And if that's the case, he's probably gone too.

I'm beginning to question whether any of the Canucks UFA's will be back. Looking like Allvin will have to do some serious wheeling and dealing. Canucks might be one of the most active teams in the league over the next 15 days or so.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
5.5*5 is a lot for a #5 D-man who takes a lot of unnecessary penalties. I don't know how we replace his physicality, but lets not fall in love with the player here over a great playoff run. If a team wants to overpay him for that, the prudent thing to do is walk. That said, I'd love to get him back at 5 flat or below AAV

Reactions: MarkMM

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i think you have to bring one of the big three UFAs back, if only because petey, hughes, demko, and jt are still traumatized about the offseason after the bubble playoffs. i think you simply can’t follow up success with taking away pieces again (tanev/toffoli/marky, boudreau after the crazy new coach bump).

Z makes the most sense because he will probably be the least overpaid, and probably because he seems to add the most to the room and contributes the most irreplaceable skillset

and my hope is the only reason management hasn’t tendered our real best offer yet is gamesmanship, ie, giving in to an overpay on one means there’s no chance the other two will take a discount. but in two weeks, i expect/hope to see Z get an extra year and an extra $750k and call it a day.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
i think you have to bring one of the big three UFAs back, if only because petey, hughes, demko, and jt are still traumatized about the offseason after the bubble playoffs. i think you simply can’t follow up success with taking away pieces again (tanev/toffoli/marky, boudreau after the crazy new coach bump).

Z makes the most sense because he will probably be the least overpaid, and probably because he seems to add the most to the room and contributes the most irreplaceable skillset

and my hope is the only reason management hasn’t tendered our real best offer yet is gamesmanship, ie, giving in to an overpay on one means there’s no chance the other two will take a discount. but in two weeks, i expect/hope to see Z get an extra year and an extra $750k and call it a day.

I agree with this rationale.

I’m at least heartened to hear the Canucks apparently talked dollars and cents and terms with all their pending UFAs (Tanev, Toffoli and Markstrom all notably said they never got offers because Jim was too busy exploring whatever other options he was trying to explore) - but there needs to be some retention here rather than a complete mass exodus. And I agree Zadorov makes the most sense. IMO, the revamping of the blueline was the biggest year over year change leading to our success this year. Soucy, Cole and Zadorov were all key additions, with Zadorov providing arguably the biggest impact. I hope he gets re signed.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
It certainly looks like Lindholm is gone; and the odds on Zadorov are now down to less that 50/50. And if the rumors are factual, Joshua might be entertaining offers of close to $4m a season. And if that's the case, he's probably gone too.

I'm beginning to question whether any of the Canucks UFA's will be back. Looking like Allvin will have to do some serious wheeling and dealing. Canucks might be one of the most active teams in the league over the next 15 days or so.

The Canucks are more of a skilled finesse team that needed more tenacity & bite in these playoffs, too many “passengers” on the team not battling with doggedness determination, team needed more intensity and grit AND that was with Big Z, Lindholm, & Dak in the lineup. Don’t want to imagine what we’ll play like in the playoffs losing the little tenacity & bite we did have in the lineup.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

I’m at least heartened to hear the Canucks apparently talked dollars and cents and terms with all their pending UFAs (Tanev, Toffoli and Markstrom all notably said they never got offers because Jim was too busy exploring whatever other options he was trying to explore) - but there needs to be some retention here rather than a complete mass exodus. And I agree Zadorov makes the most sense. IMO, the revamping of the blueline was the biggest year over year change leading to our success this year. Soucy, Cole and Zadorov were all key additions, with Zadorov providing arguably the biggest impact. I hope he gets re signed.

This morning my wife made me pho from scratch again, it her 3 hours just to make the broth. It was delicious. I was feeling good.

And now...
tumblr_inline_pg6vdxva021stouwl_540.gif

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

That was when Benning was desperately trying to make OEL work the first time before his deadline set in. Toffoli outright said in an interview with the Habs he wanted four days because he liked the team. Tanev, supposedly, did get a call the night before he signed with Calgary. The rumour goes, Benning lowballed him and instead of "sleeping on it," he signed with the Flames an hour later.

On the whole, I agree though. We cannot go through another off season with all our UFAs walking out the door despite having a successful season. Now it'd be a bit different if Guentzel walked through it but we need to show the guys we're competing.

It sounds like they all want to stay to, it's just a matter of making the money work. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Lindholm and Joshua hear offers come July 1st just to see their options but opt to stay.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That was when Benning was desperately trying to make OEL work the first time before his deadline set in. Toffoli outright said in an interview with the Habs he wanted four days because he liked the team. Tanev, supposedly, did get a call the night before he signed with Calgary. The rumour goes, Benning lowballed him and instead of "sleeping on it," he signed with the Flames an hour later.
Not sure where you heard your Tanev rumour but Tanev himself spoke about this recently and it sounded like he was just pissed off at that point. He was not lowballed.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I hope they get it done. I think your saving 2 million at most if Dillon signs and at 34 your not gonna get the same reliability and playoff impact which at the end of the day is what were looking for.

Also keep in mind Soucy last year wasn't super reliable until he finally got healthy and with 2 yrs at 3.25 it's possible that Hughes is better supported by Zadorov once that contract ends and they use DPetey when/if he's ready which would by then be a decent contractual situation if so and even if Myers comes in at 3 and you use Juulsen and a Stecher/Friedman type as the 3/4RD in a rotation were gonna be fine and then add at the deadline

Of our free agents Hronek i think they get it done Blueger and Myers seem like they have an understanding. Lafferty and Cole are extreme long shots and then you have 3 players who were huge parts of our playoff success in

Zadorov Lindholm and Joshua. Of the 3 Lindholm you can replace with a Debrusk Guentzel hopefully and have a line mate for Pettersson. Joshua above 3 million is a huge gamble and if he wants 4 you have to say goodbye but Zadorov if its a little high is worth it. 20 minutes of an absolute nucleur bomb deterrant vs Joshua's minutes is an easy choice for me if your picking one.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Not sure where you heard your Tanev rumour but Tanev himself spoke about this recently and it sounded like he was just pissed off at that point. He was not lowballed.

No idea how substantiated said rumor was but supposedly Benning circled back after the initial OEL trade attempt fell through and made a lowball offer (somewhere in the 3M range). Which pissed Tanev off.

True or not, it isn't surprising in the slightest he wouldn't bring it up later on. There's no real need to say "they lowballed me"

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sportsnet reporting that it's the 'do or die' weekend when it comes to Zadorov. If he isn't signed by Monday, he's got one foot out the door.

The one thing you can say about this front office, is that they have a pretty firm internal salary cap. They know what they can afford and won't budge much, because they know they can't.

Unlike Benning, who'd basically keep shoveling money off the back of a truck until the player and his agent said 'yes'.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
The one thing we definitely know is whatever team big Z goes to, he wants a larger roll than he got in Calgary and wants to feel wanted. I think he will get that here in Vancouver.

His game has really rounded out the last couple of seasons and I believe he's turning into that solid veteran NHL D-man capable of top 4 mins.

Honestly, he's the only UFA D-man I'd like back and don't have a problem paying him a good wage to anchor our 2nd pair for the next 4-6 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad