TSN: Nick Robertson requests trade from Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
There should be prime opportunity in the Leafs top 9 this year. They don't even have a full group of six top 9 wingers to compete against.

Suck it up, stay healthy, play well and re-visit this next summer.

It should be.. but realistically, not for a player like him.

The Leafs have 4 "big guns" that they have typically always played together. The right "complimentary" piece those guys are puck retreival / grinders / guys to crash the net. Zach Hyman was a perfect fit. Matthew Knies is a solid fit. Bobby McMann a solid fit.

Nick Robertson plays too much like William Nylander or Mitch Marner to be able to play with them.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Robertson might believe that with his shot he can be a top shooting threat on some team's PP1 but that will never happen in Toronto behind Matthews.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He doesn't do those things though. He cannot accept something he is not..he is a top six sniper. He is not strong defensively, is small-ish, and definitely not a PKer.

He actually can fit on a team like the Leafs pretty well this year. He can be the third man on line with Matthews and Marner or Domi, or with Nylander and Tavares. He actually worked pretty well with McMann and Tavares this year. That would be a solid third line for the Leafs and he would get opportunity and minutes. It would mean one of Domi, Nylander or Marner is our 2C.

Anyway, I think Robertson's best chance for ice time with the Leafs is this year. I hope we don't trade him for nothing.
I think there have been a lot of smaller, offensive minded forwards, who scored lots in junior, who couldn’t play that role in the nhl and were soon out of the league. To stay they needed to accept a new role as a bottom six energy checker and pk guy. Imo Robertson is at a crossroads. He either takes the new road to a bottom six checker PK guy, or he’s not staying in the league.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I think there have been a lot of smaller, offensive minded forwards, who scored lots in junior, who couldn’t play that role in the nhl and were soon out of the league. To stay they needed to accept a new role as a bottom six energy checker and pk guy. Imo Robertson is at a crossroads. He either takes the new road to a bottom six checker PK guy, or he’s not staying in the league.
Some guys make careers by being 30 goal scorers. He could take that route.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Some guys make careers by being 30 goal scorers. He could take that route.
Highly unlikely. He’s a guy who coaches seem to not like the way he has to sacrifice his defensive responsibilities to create offensive. IMO Robertson will end up out of the nhl in a couple years if he doesn’t change his game.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Highly unlikely. He’s a guy who coaches seem to not like the way he has to sacrifice his defensive responsibilities to create offensive. IMO Robertson will end up out of the nhl in a couple years if he doesn’t change his game.
Well, he has only had one NHL coach so this year is important for him.

I absolutely believe he needs to round out his game to have a career in the NHL. I also know he scores in a way most NHLers cannot. That's the part of his game that is going to be his calling card. He can add defensive elements for sure, but not to the point that that is why he is in big leagues.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
He doesn't play anything like Mitch Marner or William Nylander.

He'd thrive with a guy like Marner feeding him.

It would be a difficult fit with them both being wingers.

Neither are strong cycle players. Both thrive on open ice. Asking your centre to always be first one onto the forecheck is challenging, because he typically start the rush from a much lower position in the defensive zone.

Matthews & Tavares are both players that are at their best when they are the #2 forechecker. Marner & Nylander are at their best in open ice.

Robertson needs to play with a puck distributing centre; opposite a bigger, primary forechecking winger.

Reactions: Space umpire

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well, he has only had one NHL coach so this year is important for him.

I absolutely believe he needs to round out his game to have a career in the NHL. I also know he scores in a way most NHLers cannot. That's the part of his game that is going to be his calling card. He can add defensive elements for sure, but not to the point that that is why he is in big leagues.
Here’s where we differ. Imo Robby has good skills but cannot deploy them without giving up too much defensive responsibilities. Plus, even playing that way he doesn’t produce enough to cover up for the defensive problems. He either accepts what his coaches are trying to teach him (just watch Marner; that’s how to play off the puck) or he’s done in the National League. There are guys coming up every year who will take his spot.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Here’s where we differ. Imo Robby has good skills but cannot deploy them without giving up too much defensive responsibilities. Plus, even playing that way he doesn’t produce enough to cover up for the defensive problems. He either accepts what his coaches are trying to teach him (just watch Marner; that’s how to play off the puck) or he’s done in the National League. There are guys coming up every year who will take his spot.
I am not sure we disagree.

His d game has to improve if he is going to be a regular on a contender. I don't believe it can improve to the point where it is his strength, just hopefully not his weakness.

Also, new coach and new methods. Let's see if that makes any difference. Keefe did not seem to get the most out of him

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I am not arguing he is in the conversation with guys like Eichel and Nylander, etc. I am pointing out that statistically this is where he was last year. There is no argument there.

Why are we ignoring the OHL (and AHL) performance of a 22 year old again? He had one of the best goal scoring season in the history of the O. He then got stalled by Covid and his age and status. He has been a point a gamer in the AHL since then.

I actually pointed out that he did not deserve more ice time last year. Primarily because it is a deep Leafs team on the wing and they are in win now mode.

What are the holes in this offensive game, other than you declaring him as "weak as a kitten" for some reason?

Did he steal your bike or something m
Did he steal my bike? No need to get upset over an honest evaluation of a player who is barely an NHL player.

You started the conversation about his G/60 with those players. There is no sane conversation that starts with that.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Did he steal my bike? No need to get upset over an honest evaluation of a player who is barely an NHL player.

You started the conversation about his G/60 with those players. There is no sane conversation that starts with that.
There is no sane conversation that starts with presenting facts? Is that what you just said?

I am not upset, I was asking why you were.

Would you like to support your "weak as a kitten" statement with any kind of evidence?
What makes him "barely an NHL player"? 87 GP by age of 22. I could list the players in the NHL that are that age with less GP, are they barely NHLers also?

You are not offering anything of substance to this discussion. You don't like the guy for some reason. My guess if you either dislike the Leafs or like the Leafs and dislike Dubas because you haven't offered any actual reason to dislike this player so much.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
There is no sane conversation that starts with presenting facts? Is that what you just said?

I am not upset, I was asking why you were.

Would you like to support your "weak as a kitten" statement with any kind of evidence?
What makes him "barely an NHL player"? 87 GP by age of 22. I could list the players in the NHL that are that age with less GP, are they barely NHLers also?

You are not offering anything of substance to this discussion. You don't like the guy for some reason. My guess if you either dislike the Leafs or like the Leafs and dislike Dubas because you haven't offered any actual reason to dislike this player so much.
I said you trying to start a conversation about Nick Robertson being in the same conversation as Kucherov etc is not sane. The fact you are trying to defend that shows you don't know much about hockey. But keep trying to cherry pick dumb stats and hanging on to his junior number like any of that means anything.

He is undersized and weak. Who can think anything different? Are you confusing him with his brother?

Stop trying to make this anything personal. The fact is he is a semi NHL player. There is no 30 goals coming to him in the NHL. He isn't good at hockey at the NHL level. That's why you need to rely on his junior numbers and bad stats that some how you believe makes him better than Kucherov. Thus has to be the worst troll ever. If not it's just stupid.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Robertson one of those guys where if there was some new expansion team, he'd go and get a good role and probably put up really good numbers and people on HFBoards would be like "whoa, nobody could have seen this coming"

Reactions: Realgud

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The hope should be a return that's a key piece on this year's team (#3C) or #6RD even if it means adding another b prospect.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't think he's going anywhere this summer, I think he bites the bullet and signs a contract in September before camp.

I don't see what choice he has.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The hope should be a return that's a key piece on this year's team (#3C) or #6RD even if it means adding another b prospect.

Or sign Tyler Johnson for 1 year to be the 3C and run.

Domi Matthews Marner

Knies Tavares Nylander

Robertson Johnson Mcmann

Jarnkrok Kampf Reaves.

Maybe get a better 3C at the deadline

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Probably want to trade him to a team with cap space then.

Leafs are already up against it with Robertson not having a contract.
Was just a concept of a trade offer. If the Leafs had space it could work. The Isles need to offload some cap space if they want to bring back/in someone other than Simon Holmstrom. Oliver Wahlstrom seems to be the odd man out but Lou doesn’t want to give him away for free.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Was just a concept of a trade offer. If the Leafs had space it could work. The Isles need to offload some cap space if they want to bring back/in someone other than Simon Holmstrom. Oliver Wahlstrom seems to be the odd man out but Lou doesn’t want to give him away for free.

An intriguing concept blocked by the Leafs being seemingly unwilling (or perhaps unable) to restructure their cap usage.

There's always next off-season I suppose.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I said you trying to start a conversation about Nick Robertson being in the same conversation as Kucherov etc is not sane. The fact you are trying to defend that shows you don't know much about hockey. But keep trying to cherry pick dumb stats and hanging on to his junior number like any of that means anything.

He is undersized and weak. Who can think anything different? Are you confusing him with his brother?

Stop trying to make this anything personal. The fact is he is a semi NHL player. There is no 30 goals coming to him in the NHL. He isn't good at hockey at the NHL level. That's why you need to rely on his junior numbers and bad stats that some how you believe makes him better than Kucherov. Thus has to be the worst troll ever. If not it's just stupid.
you know it a discussion board, right? My original comment is still there for all to see. I stated a statistical fact and provided context.

What are you basing your comment on that he is weak? Who can think anything different? I have probably watched every NHL game he has ever played and he does not seem weaker than the average player. He does not get knocked off pucks easily and wins his share of battles.

When did I compare Robertson to any of those players? When I said he might get 30 goals one day? When I said he had defensive holes in his game?

You say to not make it personal and then proceed to tell me I don't know much about hockey. That seems like a personally directed comment to me. Do you feel this way about everyone that has an opinion that differs from yours?

What are you basing your opinion of Robertson on? Do you watch him play often?

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
If I were Mike Grier, I'd offer a Nico Sturm or Luke Kunin for Robertson. Being Filipino, Robertson would be a nice player to market in the SF Bay Area. And the Sharks have tons of these bottom 6 players (Especially natural centers) that can be traded away. Nick isn't worth much more than those type of guys, and those guys might have value in the bottom 6 for the Leafs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad