Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade (Update signs 1 year/875k deal with leafs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
There’s a lot of theories out there, but everyone has to remember there’s probably a lot more to this trade request the we don’t know about.

Reactions: francis246

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Maybe there have been offersheets, but at a low level that Leafs would match.

Perhaps, teams just don't see him the same way the Blues saw Holloway.
If you want him, it’s a great chance to screw the Leafs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Does anyone else wonder if the Leafs are leaking interest in Pacioretty and now Zadina to put pressure on Robertson to sign whatever deal they may have on the table for him?

If the Leafs sign a LW or even invite PTOs for the spot, Robertson loses even more leverage and he doesn't have much to begin with. This trade request always seemed very odd.

- His value is low, so the Leafs would not motivated to trade him
- He was not arbitration eligible
- He was never going to get an offer sheet the Leafs wouldn't match
- He needs playing time and results to change any of the above, so sitting out is not a great option
- Sitting out makes him look difficult, this trade request does this also.
- The Leafs have lots of kids that could potentially fill his spot: Cowan, Grebenkin and Steeves directly? Minten at LW or C with a C shifting over the wing? Alex Nylander?

Because of the above, I never understood the request. If we sign a LW we actually have no room for him cap or roster wise. He should be getting nervous hearing we are considering this. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a "Robertson signs for 1 x $1.15M" before Labour Day.
I don’t think so, just seems like normal precamp chatter.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Pretty poor comparison when you leave out context like icetime and PP time.
It’s still what happened. One player plays every day and scores a few goals and one doesn’t. I think Caufield would be a regular on the Leafs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
His QO?

Perhaps he wants more money, but that doesn't really seem like an issue that can't be bridged. The dude just wants to leave.

Yep..at this point I don't even think it's about opportunity, he's just done with the organization. It's allegedly not even his first trade request. The fact that everything has been leaked quite openly to the media (and it absolutely didn't come from the teams side is telling).

Get the guy out of here and good riddance. I liked him just fine as a prospect, but you can't keep a guy like that around especially as they're working hard developing guys like Knies and Cowan

Reactions: Rare Jewel

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Robertson‘s insistence on being traded could end up biting him in the ass if he isn’t careful. Zadina wanted out of Detroit, got his wish, had a mediocre season on a shit San Jose team and now he’s a free agent with no NHL team to call home. Robertson should realize that the team that drafts you cares about your success given the resources they’ve invested more than the second team that sees you as a free wallet and wouldn’t consider your failure a massive setback.

Conversely, sticking it out in a situation you don’t like and succeeding could lead to a lucrative deal later. Mikheyev and DeBrusk both wanted out and their respective organizations told them to just deal with it. Mikheyev and DeBrusk both experienced success and signed big contracts when they had the power to choose where they wanted to be.

Hell Robertson could get out of dodge even sooner if signs a one year deal and has a good season that would give him some actual trade value and make him easier and more worth it for the Leafs to trade him. The opportunity to have a strong season is right in front of him given our lack of LW depth and the amount of talent he’ll be playing alongside. And doing well in Toronto leads to good money elsewhere even if you aren’t that great.

This situation shouldn’t be so untenable to him that he’s willing to risk it all because he feels slighted. I agree that he’s been getting the short end of the stick more often than not, but this upcoming season could not be more primed for him to break out and impress a new coach.

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I don’t think so, just seems like normal precamp chatter.
Probably right. We are only hearing about LW options these days, but that might be our biggest gap.

Even if not intentionally leaked and just chatter, it might still have the same impact on the Robertson camp.

Honestly, I would be worried if I were him. Him not being in the lineup hurts him WAY more than it hurts the Leafs.

Reactions: ACC1224

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Probably right. We are only hearing about LW options these days, but that might be our biggest gap.

Even if not intentionally leaked and just chatter, it might still have the same impact on the Robertson camp.

Honestly, I would be worried if I were him. Him not being in the lineup hurts him WAY more than it hurts the Leafs.

3C feels like the biggest hole but with the LW chatter coming up, it feels like Domi is primed to start there.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
3C feels like the biggest hole but with the LW chatter coming up, it feels like Domi is primed to start there.
Fair. Not a lot of 3C floating around this late in the off-season. I think our top three centres next season will come from Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Domi. We are probably stronger than most teams down the middle....even though many here want to suggest otherwise.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I think Domi will play with Matthews too.

Some fans blame Reaves/Dewer for Robertson's situation. When TOR re-signed Domi, the writing was on the wall.

LW depth

Domi
Knies
McMann
Dewer
Voit
Robertson

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Fair. Not a lot of 3C floating around this late in the off-season. I think our top three centres next season will come from Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Domi. We are probably stronger than most teams down the middle....even though many here want to suggest otherwise.

I’ll be very surprised if Domi isn’t with Matthews personally

If I had to guess or my preference...

Knies-Matthews-88
McMann-JT-Marner
Patches-Domi-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves

If Patches doesn't join, the door is open for Holmberg, Grebyonkin, Cowan or a Robertson trade return to take that slot.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Hopefully we get him signed soon and at a reasonable price. Keefe, justifiably for the most part, had him on a short leash but I think he could benefit from a fresh start with a new voice. Success would kick his dissatisfaction to the curb in a hurry and give management a clearer picture of what exactly they have. I really don't see how anyone could feel they know with any certainty what he is at this point, including Nick himself.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Knies-Matthews-88
McMann-JT-Marner
Patches-Domi-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves

If Patches doesn't join, the door is open for Holmberg, Grebyonkin, Cowan or a Robertson trade return to take that slot.

I just think we are better with our top guys over 3 lines rather than 2.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Cowan/Greb- Holmberg - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Jarnkrok

Or idk something like that maybe.
Or move 88 to center.

Reactions: aingefan

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

Knies-Matthews-88
McMann-JT-Marner
Patches-Domi-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves

Mine is...

Knies Matthews Domi
Holmberg Nylander Marner
Robertson Tavares McMann
Dewar Kampf Jarnkrok

I want nothing to do with aging, injured vets... particularly Pacioretty

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hakanpaa is on the team? News to me. I didn't think he was signed.

The 400k difference is between him and Timmins.
You are correct, Timmins in Hakinpaa out.
Once they sign their last forward, there is no Cap Space left.
Knies could be demoted, but won't be.

Might actually be a blessing he'd rather sit out than sign. Lets them trial the Marlies without worrying about losing a player to waivers.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
You are correct, Timmins in Hakinpaa out.
Once they sign their last forward, there is no Cap Space left.
Knies could be demoted, but won't be.

Might actually be a blessing he'd rather sit out than sign. Lets them trial the Marlies without worrying about losing a player to waivers.

If we sign Hakanpaa I am pretty sure we are OK putting Reaves or Timmins on waivers. I am not sure either is claimed.

Reactions: ULF_55

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hopefully we get him signed soon and at a reasonable price. Keefe, justifiably for the most part, had him on a short leash but I think he could benefit from a fresh start with a new voice. Success would kick his dissatisfaction to the curb in a hurry and give management a clearer picture of what exactly they have. I really don't see how anyone could feel they know with any certainty what he is at this point, including Nick himself.

What I find kind of distasteful about Nick Robertson’s trade request is the Leafs organization stuck with him for a long time when he was going through his many injuries. They could have just offloaded him at any point in time. And now the coach who didn’t give him time is gone.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What I find kind of distasteful about Nick Robertson’s trade request is the Leafs organization stuck with him for a long time when he was going through his many injuries. They could have just offloaded him at any point in time. And now the coach who didn’t give him time is gone.

Well, he has his principles.

He'd rather not get paid for the next several years that's a commitment to his principles.

Reactions: Stephen

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yep..at this point I don't even think it's about opportunity, he's just done with the organization. It's allegedly not even his first trade request. The fact that everything has been leaked quite openly to the media (and it absolutely didn't come from the teams side is telling).

Get the guy out of here and good riddance. I liked him just fine as a prospect, but you can't keep a guy like that around especially as they're working hard developing guys like Knies and Cowan

I'm through with players telling the organization how it's going to be

If keeping him is in our best interests, keep him but if a good trade comes about, trade him but **** doing him any favors

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I’d rather we just let him go overseas and do whatever he wants than make an unfavorable trade in haste. Last thing we need is selling Nick Robertson on unfavourable terms and then have it blow up in our faces and have him come into Scotiabank like he’s Maximus at the Coliseum. When we got a 1st for Sandin, that was awesome. Tre doesn’t have to do anything he doesn’t want to.

Reactions: IPS and ULF_55
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad