Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade (Update signs 1 year/875k deal with leafs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
A guy who plays 80 games/year, engages physically, is decent defensively, is 60% on the dot and is good for 30 goals/60+ points, is a high-end #2 C in today's league. On some teams, that's a #1 C.
Two of those 5 things are true.

Reactions: myleafs

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I saw something on Instagram that intrigued me. Vatrano for Robertson and Kampf. Helps LW immediately.
Again why are we trading a 22 year old player for 5”10 player who at the age of thirty had his most productive year of his career. Not to mention is a UFA.

Time and time again we have done these stupid deals and have been constantly burned by losing a promising young player for a short term fix. We traded Marchment for a Smurf. A pick for turtleneck from Montreal that turned into Romanov. Could have had Seth Jarvis at 13 but had to trade our first to get rid of Marleau. Not to mention letting Carter Verhagge walk for nothing.

If we trade Robertson it’s ideally for another kid whom we have control over. It’s the reason why the Kalyiev proposal has been beaten to death.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Again why are we trading a 22 year old player for 5”10 player who at the age of thirty had his most productive year of his career. Not to mention is a UFA.

Time and time again we have done these stupid deals and have been constantly burned by losing a promising young player for a short term fix. We traded Marchment for a Smurf. A pick for turtleneck from Montreal that turned into Romanov. Could have had Seth Jarvis at 13 but had to trade our first to get rid of Marleau. Not to mention letting Carter Verhagge walk for nothing.

If we trade Robertson it’s ideally for another kid whom we have control over. It’s the reason why the Kalyiev proposal has been beaten to death.
We would be trading a 5'10 player for a 5'10 player.

I'd think it's mainly to bolster the team immediately and receive value back for a player who no longer wants to be a part of the team going forward.

Kampf is in there, I'd assume, as a cap piece.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

There is nothing wrong with 30 year old players.

In fact, experienced players who can contribute offensively and understand how they need to play to be effective and help their team win are worth their weight in gold to teams who are in their window to contend.

Edmonton has become the second oldest team in the league. This is natural for teams trying to win.

Reactions: smitty10

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Loved everything up until the last paragraph. Robertson literally played in the GTHL HAHA. He moved to Detroit, then Toronto to pursue hockey then played in the OHL hahaha. The guy has literally had to fight his entire life, was a premature baby on life support, they didn’t even think he’d live. Had to leave California with his mom and brother just to have a chance at hockey. So I don’t think work ethic is a problem for Robertson. He’s in insane shape as well. He’s just small due to being a Premy baby.

That Robertson come up story always makes me think this guy is wired to see things as an “against all odds” narrative and once he’s cast the Leafs as an obstacle he’s never going to get on side as an organization friendly player. It’s a me first mentality beneath an underdog story. Not a fan.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I think there’s definitely a move with LA to make regarding Robertson. Kaliyev and Pinelli are two names I wouldn’t mind in our system.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That Robertson come up story always makes me think this guy is wired to see things as an “against all odds” narrative and once he’s cast the Leafs as an obstacle he’s never going to get on side as an organization friendly player. It’s a me first mentality beneath an underdog story. Not a fan.

I don’t know how you got that from this situation. Play time clearly is not an issue. If it was, that l issue is now fixed & he would stay. I don’t even think Robertson sees the leafs as an “obstacle”.

Sometimes people need a change of scenery. Honestly it just sounds like he feels cursed here or can’t catch a break here and he wants a fresh start. There is nothing wrong with that. So we can all stop shitting on the guy. In the same breath, the leafs aren’t obligated to move him, which is also fine. I don’t understand this board’s obsession with turning every situation into someone has to be a villain.

Other players have also asked out in recent years.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t know how you got that from this situation. Play time clearly is not an issue. If it was, that l issue is now fixed & he would stay. I don’t even think Robertson sees the leafs as an “obstacle”.

Sometimes people need a change of scenery. Honestly it just sounds like he feels cursed here or can’t catch a break here and he wants a fresh start. There is nothing wrong with that. So we can all stop shitting on the guy. In the same breath, the leafs aren’t obligated to move him, which is also fine. I don’t understand this board’s obsession with turning every situation into someone has to be a villain.

Robertson’s actions are clearly hostile to the interests of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and don’t seem to serve himself in terms of developing as a player in the short term either… sometimes what looks like a dumb, ego fuelled entitled play by an immature 22 year old with no leverage is just that and we don’t need to be sympathetic.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Robertson’s actions are clearly hostile to the interests of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and don’t seem to serve himself in terms of developing as a player in the short term either… sometimes what looks like a dumb, ego fuelled entitled play by an immature 22 year old with no leverage is just that and we don’t need to be sympathetic.
I see both sides of this, I get why Robertson wants out, and I see that FINALLY the Leafs are willing to play hardball with a RDA. If there was a fair trade it might be the best solution…….

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I see both sides of this, I get why Robertson wants out, and I see that FINALLY the Leafs are willing to play hardball with a RDA. If there was a fair trade it might be the best solution…….

We don’t agree often but you hit it on the head. There really isn’t a bad person or side in this situation. Leafs have to play hardball here but Robertson exercising his right to not sign a deal is well within the CBA and not illegal. If a fair deal comes along you trade him. Otherwise Robertson will sit. Don’t really think Robertson is being hostile at all.

Reactions: rumman

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I don’t see anything that suggests Robertson is being hostile. He didn’t cut off communication with the organization like Gauthier did. He didn’t refuse to show up when he was under contract. This isn’t his first trade request btw. So even when he requested before he still fulfilled his contractual duty and played for the organization and did not complain publicly. Even still as he’s requested a trade he has not come out and said anything negative about the organization.

No one is saying you need to be sympathetic but acting like he’s the #1 enemy of the leafs is utterly ridiculous and an huge overreaction.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I've been in situations where I just wanted out ... mind you I wasn't making $1mm ...

In one case my employer was okay moving me, in another case I just wanted an adventure out of the country, and the last case I wanted away from an employer who wanted to keep me, asked me to stay that they'd work with my wants.

I took my own initiative on 2 cases where I cut the safety net and moved on.

Have to say Robertson could do the same. Be brave and go overseas and earn some money, might be less, but that is likely a better option than just refusing to sign and therefore putting himself on the bench.

He could easily get a job overseas. Or at least I think he could. He's a good young player.

Reactions: francis246

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t see anything that suggests Robertson is being hostile. He didn’t cut off communication with the organization like Gauthier did. He didn’t refuse to show up when he was under contract. This isn’t his first trade request btw. So even when he requested before he still fulfilled his contractual duty and played for the organization and did not complain publicly. Even still as he’s requested a trade he has not come out and said anything negative about the organization.

No one is saying you need to be sympathetic but acting like he’s the #1 enemy of the leafs is utterly ridiculous and an huge overreaction.

I didn’t say he has to be the number one villain but he’s definitely persona non grata for taking a stand against the team.

Reactions: Dangles McGavin

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I've been in situations where I just wanted out ... mind you I wasn't making $1mm ...

In one case my employer was okay moving me, in another case I just wanted an adventure out of the country, and the last case I wanted away from an employer who wanted to keep me, asked me to stay that they'd work with my wants.

Have to say Robertson could do the same. Be brave and go overseas and earn some money, might be less, but that is likely a better option than just refusing to sign and therefore putting himself on the bench.

He could easily get a job overseas. Or at least I think he could. He's a good young player.

I’m sure we’ve all moved on from a job or two or made a dramatic move from time to time, but pro sports doesn’t really work the same way.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I didn’t say he has to be the number one villain but he’s definitely persona non grata for taking a stand against the team.
They never held a grudge against Styles for his holdout, of course he’s one of the precious four…….

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Moral of the story is know your worth and are you in a good situation. Robertson should hold firm, he’s a asset after all, he could provide something back if he’s definitely not signing here……..

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Holding out hardly screams I want tot stay. Both one dimensional players, one just a higher caliber imo……..

Disagree. One guy wanted a contract at a price he wanted and over the years it wasn’t an extravagant cost.

The other guy has requested a divorce despite the team indicating to him there’s space for him, under new management and coaching, as if it’s the Leafs fault he isn’t where he should be, not counting the fact that he was hurt for like 2.5 years solid.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Disagree. One guy wanted a contract at a price he wanted and over the years it wasn’t an extravagant cost.

The other guy has requested a divorce despite the team indicating to him there’s space for him, under new management and coaching, as if it’s the Leafs fault he isn’t where he should be, not counting the fact that he was hurt for like 2.5 years solid.
I could care less, does anyone think it’s a good idea to have someone on the team that doesn’t want to be here? If a fair trade exists I’d move him in a New York minute……..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad