Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade (Update signs 1 year/875k deal with leafs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
No other team put forth a fair deal because they obviously didn’t think he was worth it, top ten forwards are supposed to be highly coveted yet nothing but crickets from other teams wanting Styles…….
I mean it's a spin right?

The reality is, no other team offered what Treliving wanted in preliminary talks, and he decided to resign him. We have no idea what was offered, and no idea what Treliving would have considered. Maybe he was stuck on a top pairing RD, and nobody who was interested in Styles could give one up. Maybe they offered fair deals, or better than fair deals, but it didn't include the NOW pieces that Tre wanted. Any team looking to add Styles, wouldn't be looking to gut their D to get him.

The truth is, there were no trade fits... that other teams inquired, meant he was coveted, but it just didn't work out.

But the always negative spin is expected.

Just f***ing trade him.

Who cares why he asked for a trade. He asked for a trade. He's not good enough to beg him to reconsider.

Grant him his wish and get rid of him.

He's a locker room cancer. This is the second time he's asked for a trade. That's two times too many.

If someone doesn't want to be here nobody should want him here.

I see no reason to keep this always hurt one trick pony around. Trade him for peanuts, let him go to Europe, or waive him for San Jose. Who really cares what happens to this soon to be ex Leaf.

Just get him off the team already.
No... you don't move assets at a loss, in particular when you hold all the cards, and that one trick is something you need.

Suck it up and play, until you raise your value that the team can be fairly compensated.

Thankfully teams don't view this as an emotional transaction like some fans do.

Reactions: meefer and ACC1224

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

The reality is, no other team offered what Treliving wanted in preliminary talks, and he decided to resign him. We have no idea what was offered, and no idea what Treliving would have considered. Maybe he was stuck on a top pairing RD, and nobody who was interested in Styles could give one up. Maybe they offered fair deals, or better than fair deals, but it didn't include the NOW pieces that Tre wanted. Any team looking to add Styles, wouldn't be looking to gut their D to get him.

The truth is, there were no trade fits... that other teams inquired, meant he was coveted, but it just didn't work out.

No... you don't move assets at a loss, in particular when you hold all the cards, and that one trick is something you need.

Suck it up and play, until you raise your value that the team can be fairly compensated.

I'm in the let Marner walk camp as well.

So losing Robeetson for nothing just to get rid of someone who doesn't want to buy into what the team is offering is no big deal. He's only worth at most a 2nd or 3rd so not a whole lot of value. I wouldn't hold it against them if they just send him to a bottom feeder in the West for peanuts just to get rid of him.

I just hope they send him to somewhere and he ends up hating it there even more.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

I don’t understand why they shopped Nylander and when they counldn’t get the return they were looking for they compound the cap problem by signing Nylander to a bloated contract, if they wanted a RHD specifically why not let him walk and acquire said D man via free agency? Seems like a pretty stupid thing to do……..

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don’t understand why they shopped Nylander and when they counldn’t get the return they were looking for they compound the cap problem by signing Nylander to a bloated contract, if they wanted a RHD specifically why not let him walk and acquire said D man via free agency? Seems like a pretty stupid thing to do……..

1. Nylander was signed already for next year. His contract doesn't kick in until this year. They couldn't let him walk last year.

2. There were no top RHD available in Free Agency last year.

I'm in the let Marner walk camp as well.

So losing Robeetson for nothing just to get rid of someone who doesn't want to buy into what the team is offering is no big deal. He's only worth at most a 2nd or 3rd so not a whole lot of value. I wouldn't hold it against them if they just send him to a bottom feeder in the West for peanuts just to get rid of him.

I just hope they send him to somewhere and he ends up hating it there even more.

You're in the wrong camp.

Why so angry about it? Why have spite for a player?

Thankfully teams make rational decisions.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
1. Nylander was signed already for next year. His contract doesn't kick in until this year. They couldn't let him walk last year.

2. There were no top RHD available in Free Agency last year.

You're in the wrong camp.

Why so angry about it? Why have spite for a player?

Thankfully teams make rational decisions.
Wrong year, let Nylander walk with his expiring contract and sign UFA D men from this summer’s crop. Plenty to choose from…….

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wrong year, let Nylander walk with his expiring contract and sign UFA D men from this summer’s crop. Plenty to choose from…….
Plenty to choose from, and they looked at what was out there, and decided they were a better team extending Nylander.

Reactions: Menzinger

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Just f***ing trade him.

Who cares why he asked for a trade. He asked for a trade. He's not good enough to beg him to reconsider.

Grant him his wish and get rid of him.

He's a locker room cancer. This is the second time he's asked for a trade. That's two times too many.

If someone doesn't want to be here nobody should want him here.

I see no reason to keep this always hurt one trick pony around. Trade him for peanuts, let him go to Europe, or waive him for San Jose. Who really cares what happens to this soon to be ex Leaf.

Just get him off the team already.

Just treat him the same as every other RFA.

That is fair to everyone.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Plenty to choose from, and they looked at what was out there, and decided they were a better team extending Nylander.
You don’t get it, if they didn’t resign Styles they could afford the RHD they so dearly need, in fact they could have rebuilt the D far better then the patch work Tre did this offseason…….

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You don’t get it, if they didn’t resign Styles they could afford the RHD they so dearly need, in fact they could have rebuilt the D far better then the patch work Tre did this offseason…….

No, I understand perfectly well the situation. If they didn't extend Styles, they could have gone out and tried to sign a Montour, Skejc or Roy.... No guarantee they would have actually landed any of those though. But clearly, they chose not to do that. Is that hard to understand? Clearly they looked at what the options were, and chose Styles, over the chance of landing more D.. I mean that's what happened right? It was a choice. They disagreed with your position.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
No, I understand perfectly well the situation. If they didn't extend Styles, they could have gone out and tried to sign a Montour, Skejc or Roy.... No guarantee they would have actually landed any of those though. But clearly, they chose not to do that. Is that hard to understand? Clearly they looked at what the options were, and chose Styles, over the chance of landing more D.. I mean that's what happened right? It was a choice. They disagreed with your position.
Imo they made the wrong choice, 53% of the cap tied up to 4 forwards hasn’t eorked, won’t eork, will never work no matter ehat Tre thinks……..

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Imo they made the wrong choice, 53% of the cap tied up to 4 forwards hasn’t eorked, won’t eork, will never work no matter ehat Tre thinks……..

That's nice... There are other forwards that can be moved on from.... including this next offseason. Or have their cap changed. They decided keeping Nylander was the best option.

back to Robertson. The topic here anyway.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I could care less, does anyone think it’s a good idea to have someone on the team that doesn’t want to be here? If a fair trade exists I’d move him in a New York minute……..

The Bruins best player last playoffs didn't want to be there...

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Leafs can't let Robertson walk for next to nothing. They used a 2nd round pick on him and despite frustrations on both sides, helped develop and support him through injuries. If the Leafs think he could be of value to the team this year you call his bluff and let him rot. If he is not a Berube type player and don't see a spot for him, then sure give the kid a fresh start. But he is coming across very entitled for a tweener at his age with his injury history.

Last edited:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Completely disagree with anyone suggesting they just let Robertson walk for next to no return. They used a 2nd round pick on him and despite frustrations on both sides, helped develop and support him through injuries. If the Leafs think he could be of value to the team this year you let him rot if he doesn't sign. If he is not a Berube player and they don't see a spot for him, then sure take what you can get and give the kid a break. He is coming across very entitled for a 22 year old with his recent injury issues.
He's certainly losing the PR battle. A lot of people don't even think of him much due to his games lost (injuries). Now pedestrian fans say: "Doesn't want to be a Leaf? **** that guy!"

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Completely disagree with anyone suggesting they just let Robertson walk for next to no return. They used a 2nd round pick on him and despite frustrations on both sides, helped develop and support him through injuries. If the Leafs think he could be of value to the team this year you let him rot if he doesn't sign. If he is not a Berube player and they don't see a spot for him, then sure take what you can get and give the kid a break. He is coming across very entitled for a 22 year old with his recent injury issues.

Robertson’s at a very tricky point in his career. I look at a guy like Michael Bunting who was a career minor leaguer, got a call up with Arizona and parlayed a small scoring pop into an NHL audition with Toronto, then a real NHL career. That’s the upside of leaving your team.

The other scenario is you turn into a pint sized question mark. And that’s Nic Petan and Denis Malgin territory where you’re a AAAA guy who gets swapped for another AAAA guy but the next organization doesn’t really give you any kind of runway.

So if had been smart he would have chosen the path where he could get some more runway with the team he’s with than try to move on with minimum career momentum.

Not our problem though, what’s important is the Leafs get what they can out of this situation and preserve asset value, by avoiding a dumb trade for the sake of it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's certainly losing the PR battle. A lot of people don't even think of him much due to his games lost (injuries). Now pedestrian fans say: "Doesn't want to be a Leaf? **** that guy!"

He’s like Rasmus Sandin but worse. It was hard enough seeing a young, sometimes struggling kid put on airs and claim he was better than a specific teammate.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Robertson’s at a very tricky point in his career. I look at a guy like Michael Bunting who was a career minor leaguer, got a call up with Arizona and parlayed a small scoring pop into an NHL audition with Toronto, then a real NHL career. That’s the upside of leaving your team.

The other scenario is you turn into a pint sized question mark. And that’s Nic Petan and Denis Malgin territory where you’re a AAAA guy who gets swapped for another AAAA guy but the next organization doesn’t really give you any kind of runway.

So if had been smart he would have chosen the path where he could get some more runway with the team he’s with than try to move on with minimum career momentum.

Not our problem though, what’s important is the Leafs get what they can out of this situation and preserve asset value, by avoiding a dumb trade for the sake of it.
1000008655.jpg

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
CJ brought it up on the podcast today about him being scratched game 7. I guarantee you that was the final straw for him. Go look at Nick’s last Instagram post something doesn’t add up…

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
CJ brought it up on the podcast today about him being scratched game 7. I guarantee you that was the final straw for him. Go look at Nick’s last Instagram post something doesn’t add up…

I’d be pissed too if my idiot coach scratched me for Noah f***ing Gregor. He should still re-sign though and stop this nonsense.

Also what are we supposed to glean from his last Instagram post? I guess it’s noteworthy that he thanked the fans, teammates, and support staff but not coaches. Don’t blame him for that omission.

Reactions: rumman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I’d be pissed too if my idiot coach scratched me for Noah f***ing Gregor. He should still re-sign though and stop this nonsense.

Also what are we supposed to glean from his last Instagram post? I guess it’s noteworthy that he thanked the fans, teammates, and support staff but not coaches. Don’t blame him for that omission.
What post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad