Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade (Update signs 1 year/875k deal with leafs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
What do you mean we have the most expensive 3C in the league making 11M dollars. The hole is 2C
Yes, he is overpaid, but he was a 2C last year. He was 40th amongst centres in scoring and did most of that at ES.

I am good easing him into 3C this year

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Can we logically assume that no player of Robertsons status is going to be promised a NHL job? If we agree on that can we also agree that he should have no beef with the Leafs?

He waited till he had what he thinks is leverage. Him holding out and asking for a trade is miles apart from Nylander holding out for the first month-ish of the season. Nylander was an A+ prospect, he had leverage ... Nick is a C+ prospect, he has no leverage. Nick wants to be a pro, I think he thinks it's the Leafs holding him back because of some sort of prejudice towards his game, I would suggest it's Nick's poor defensive play that is holding him back. I think it is as simple as a guy looking for a fresh start.

Mentioned it a couple times but Jonas Segal was on overdrive earlier this summer. He said with Robertson this isn’t a play time issue. Robertson wasn’t unhappy about play time. Segal mentioned that there was a few instances where Robertson and the development staff did not see eye to eye and there was some conflict there.

Also I just think he feels cursed here. He’s had two significant injuries, sent down cause of cap. It just feels like a guy who is maybe struggling to be in this city and wants a fresh start. Sucks, but I don’t think either party is in the wrong. I think he’ll get traded, I don’t see him signing a contract in Toronto and they won’t want to lose him for nothing.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Mentioned it a couple times but Jonas Segal was on overdrive earlier this summer. He said with Robertson this isn’t a play time issue. Robertson wasn’t unhappy about play time. Segal mentioned that there was a few instances where Robertson and the development staff did not see eye to eye and there was some conflict there.

Also I just think he feels cursed here. He’s had two significant injuries, sent down cause of cap. It just feels like a guy who is maybe struggling to be in this city and wants a fresh start. Sucks, but I don’t think either party is in the wrong. I think he’ll get traded, I don’t see him signing a contract in Toronto and they won’t want to lose him for nothing.
Ya he sounds legit just please not the Leafs anymore. Unfortunately that’s not a good enough reason to deal him at fire sale prices that his own actions have set. Getting the impression this drags out until some team that wants him realizes Bundy isn’t blinking (Note: don’t blink Tre).

Nothing against the guy, but he can sit the year if he has to on principle otherwise, doesn’t seem like a money thing. I’d like to see him suit up for us but Jesus, he’s not that important really. Go play down south buddy, good luck, but you don’t get to call your own shots in the NHL yet here.

Almost wonder if some guy ripping up minor hockey in Cali just isn’t the same build as a kid fighting thru AAA Gthl to get a sniff, one of those is used to the Game. I mean obviously he got there and did the time eventually, but you know, not when he was like 10.

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Yes, he is overpaid, but he was a 2C last year. He was 40th amongst centres in scoring and did most of that at ES.

I am good easing him into 3C this year

I think JT needs to move to wing, with spot duty at C, too slow to be an effective C anymore.

Reactions: sxvnert

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Ya he sounds legit just please not the Leafs anymore. Unfortunately that’s not a good enough reason to deal him at fire sale prices that his own actions have set. Getting the impression this drags out until some team that wants him realizes Bundy isn’t blinking (Note: don’t blink Tre).

Nothing against the guy, but he can sit the year if he has to on principle otherwise, doesn’t seem like a money thing. I’d like to see him suit up for us but Jesus, he’s not that important really. Go play down south buddy, good luck, but you don’t get to call your own shots in the NHL yet here.

Almost wonder if some guy ripping up minor hockey in Cali just isn’t the same build as a kid fighting thru AAA Gthl to get a sniff, one of those is used to the Game. I mean obviously he got there and did the time eventually, but you know, not when he was like 10.

Loved everything up until the last paragraph. Robertson literally played in the GTHL HAHA. He moved to Detroit, then Toronto to pursue hockey then played in the OHL hahaha. The guy has literally had to fight his entire life, was a premature baby on life support, they didn’t even think he’d live. Had to leave California with his mom and brother just to have a chance at hockey. So I don’t think work ethic is a problem for Robertson. He’s in insane shape as well. He’s just small due to being a Premy baby.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Loved everything up until the last paragraph. Robertson literally played in the GTHL HAHA. He moved to Detroit, then Toronto to pursue hockey then played in the OHL hahaha. The guy has literally had to fight his entire life, was a premature baby on life support, they didn’t even think he’d live. Had to leave California with his mom and brother just to have a chance at hockey. So I don’t think work ethic is a problem for Robertson. He’s in insane shape as well. He’s just small due to being a Premy baby.
Did not know that part, touché. So much for that thought. I’m wrong all the time, just ask my wife lol..

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Did not know that part, touché. So much for that thought. I’m wrong all the time, just ask my wife lol..

Nick’s story is unknown because he was a Covid draft pick and really he’s in the shadow of Jason. Both are good hockey players.

I think the rest of your statement is absolutely true. Even if Nick’s position is valid, the leafs can’t bend over. Trade him if a team is willing to pay, otherwise Nick’s gotta go play in Europe.

Reactions: Squiffy

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
Could it be as simple as Robbie looking at the roster and knowing he’d never be in line for first unit pp time so he wants to go to another team where he may get that opportunity? Can’t truly maximize your earnings without the point totals playing on a pp1 gets you.

Reactions: tmlfan98

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Nick’s story is unknown because he was a Covid draft pick and really he’s in the shadow of Jason. Both are good hockey players.

I think the rest of your statement is absolutely true. Even if Nick’s position is valid, the leafs can’t bend over. Trade him if a team is willing to pay, otherwise Nick’s gotta go play in Europe.

It's a tough situation do you set a precedent that any player can demand what they want and get it? RFA status has a connotation attached that the team has control over the player, if you give that up, you lose valuable leverage. End of the day do you want a malcontent on your roster or do you want to give up leverage? It's a tough spot for any GM. Maybe Tree tells Nick to go out and find a team that wants him (he may have already done that), maybe that is a wake up call for him? I truly feel that he is getting bad advice from his agent and handlers, he has an opportunity to win a LW spot, new coach, no real mainstay at LW, it is wide open and he wants to go because the team mismanaged his development, I'd suggest he is mishandling his career by asking for a trade from a situation any guy fighting for a roster spot would dream of.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Leafs shouldn’t trade him for the sake of trading him. If nobody is willing to offer a second round pick or better then hold onto him. If it means sitting the year then he sits. Time for leafs to dictate how things go and not the players.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Treliving just got bent over on a handful of contracts, I am not sure this changes anything.

From reports it doesn't sound like it is the contract amount that is the issue anyway.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Treliving just got bent over on a handful of contracts, I am not sure this changes anything.

From reports it doesn't sound like it is the contract amount that is the issue anyway.

Kampf a year ago. Nylander during the season. Maybe Tanev as UFA, but I garauntee other teams would have also done it. Not seeing any others, unless I’m forgetting something

Edit: Liljegren is a little high as well actually

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Kampf a year ago. Nylander during the season. Maybe Tanev as UFA, but I garauntee other teams would have also done it. Not seeing any others, unless I’m forgetting something

Edit: Liljegren is a little high as well actually

Liljegren, Woll (might end up being good, but that is a lot for his work), Reaves, Klingberg, and some say Matthews (I think he is fine).

It's been two years, it is a lot.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I just think we are better with our top guys over 3 lines rather than 2.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Cowan/Greb- Holmberg - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Jarnkrok

Or idk something like that maybe.
Or move 88 to center.
Exactly how I have lines right now.

There was a time in the off-season where I envisioned CJ and DK being traded to reclaim picks and the fourth line being a lot different…..but that ship seems to have sailed.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’d rather we just let him go overseas and do whatever he wants than make an unfavorable trade in haste. Last thing we need is selling Nick Robertson on unfavourable terms and then have it blow up in our faces and have him come into Scotiabank like he’s Maximus at the Coliseum. When we got a 1st for Sandin, that was awesome. Tre doesn’t have to do anything he doesn’t want to.

All fair and true. But imo his value has nowhere to go but down at this point.

Get the team an asset they can use at the tdl, even if it's just a midround pick and we can forget the guy ever existed

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
Let him sit and waste his own career. It’s gonna set a bad precedent for the rest of our young players when things aren’t going their way.

The statement being made by letting him sit is worth more than whatever draft pick he would fetch in a trade.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
If they trade Robbie, and Hakanpaa's contract doesn't happen, I would target Vegas and their D, they have 7 guys who should be playing top 6, plus some other veteran depth and prospects who can slide in, and their forward depth is not the best, they lost goals in Marchesault.

Someone like Korczak, they need to keep i think or lose on waivers, so makes one of their other 6 expendable - McNabb is probably the one they would more likely part with as he is older and expiring, but Hague or Whitecloud would be great if you package something else.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I’d rather we just let him go overseas and do whatever he wants than make an unfavorable trade in haste. Last thing we need is selling Nick Robertson on unfavourable terms and then have it blow up in our faces and have him come into Scotiabank like he’s Maximus at the Coliseum. When we got a 1st for Sandin, that was awesome. Tre doesn’t have to do anything he doesn’t want to.
Exactly this.

The only thing Robertson is to be told is "no change of plans, come to camp in shape and ready."

It's none of his business whether the team has plans to trade him, keep him, or anything.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I still think a good base for a trade would be Robertson for Veleno.

Veleno can slide into the third line center role in between Jarnkrok and Nylander.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I still think a good base for a trade would be Robertson for Veleno.

Veleno can slide into the third line center role in between Jarnkrok and Nylander.
Depending who plays there off wing in Detroit there’s no fit for him there.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
What do you mean we have the most expensive 3C in the league making 11M dollars. The hole is 2C

A guy who plays 80 games/year, engages physically, is decent defensively, is 60% on the dot and is good for 30 goals/60+ points, is a high-end #2 C in today's league. On some teams, that's a #1 C.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad