Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
To be fair, Robertson played all 6 other games vs Boston and had no real impact whatsoever (~10 mins per)
To be fair, our team was having trouble scoring, Robertson has one of the best shots on the team, he was getting some good chances, there were top-six openings with core injuries, and there should have been even more openings with Treliving's forward additions playing like trash, and yet all he got were less than 10 min a game in the bottom six, and then scratched for Gregor, who hadn't done anything all year.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I don't trust anything Wickenheiser says when it comes to this stuff.

She's been saying Alex Steeves is ready for at least the last couple of years. Guy is a AAAA player at best and she keeps hyping him up.
I remember her saying he was “right there” and hyping his physical development after his first pro camp here. He’d barely been in the org a few months.

Basically 3 years later and he’s in the same spot, pretty much the same player. It’s just tire pumping and fluff.

Reactions: IPS and tmlfan98

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Rumours that Carolina is going to offer sheet him between $1.5 and $2.9 mil (3rd round compensation)
I would assume it would have to be on the upper side of that. If they tried to offer sheet him for $1.5-2 million leafs prob match depending on term.

No reason to offer sheet. Just send the pick directly.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I remember her saying he was “right there” and hyping his physical development after his first pro camp here. He’d barely been in the org a few months.

Basically 3 years later and he’s in the same spot, pretty much the same player. It’s just tire pumping and fluff.
I think Steeves is in the Michael Bunting tier of AHLer, in the right situation where if someone gives him a legit chance, he’d produce and keep a job.
Tough organization to do it in tho say their win cycle tho. They’re not giving too many kids extended looks wheee they can play through the adjustment. Lili and NickRob are others, on a short leash. McMann caught lightning in a bottle at just the right time.
They gave Knies that look, but he’s the exception.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think Steeves is in the Michael Bunting tier of AHLer, in the right situation where if someone gives him a legit chance, he’d produce and keep a job.
Tough organization to do it in tho say their win cycle tho. They’re not giving too many kids extended looks wheee they can play through the adjustment. Lili and NickRob are others, on a short leash. McMann caught lightning in a bottle at just the right time.
They gave Knies that look, but he’s the exception.

Difference is Bunting had shown he might have something when he scored 10 goals in 23 games for Arizona.

He did as he put up 63 points the next year.

Steeves hasn't shown anything close to that, there has been 0 indication that all he needs is an opportunity

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I would assume it would have to be on the upper side of that. If they tried to offer sheet him for $1.5-2 million leafs prob match depending on term.

No reason to offer sheet. Just send the pick directly.

I'm thinking along the same, lines, they know the Leafs are close to the cap, they want be on the high side to make it painful on the Leafs to match. It would be stupid if a team in the East has cap space and the 3rd rounder to give up to not acquire a 20 goal potential guy for a 3rd rounder. Plus if the Leafs match at around 3 mil it puts the Leafs in a position where they couldn't make other moves that maybe you want to do. If the Leafs match it's a win for the team that makes the offer, if the Leafs let him go , its a win for the team that makes the offer. If I'm a GM I want my competition to use up their cap space as quickly as possible.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Difference is Bunting had shown he might have something when he scored 10 goals in 23 games for Arizona.

He did as he put up 63 points the next year.

Steeves hasn't shown anything close to that, there has been 0 indication that all he needs is an opportunity
Bunting was older when he did it, and finally got a ‘too late for Arizona’ audition where he went on a heater, similar to Bobby McMann.
Steeves hasn’t got that sustained opportunity.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Rumours that Carolina is going to offer sheet him between $1.5 and $2.9 mil (3rd round compensation)
If Carolina offers a 3rd round pick in trade for Nikki Bobby and Leafs say "NO"

What use would it be offersheet him at a range the Leafs would certainly match, because the compensation is not high enough?

Its a redundant useless exercise.

If you offersheet more and it costs a 2nd comp for Leafs to walk away, then just offer a 2nd in trade to begin with and sign him to any deal they like thereafter. .

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Link? Also this is the AAV comp range for a 3rd round pick this year: $1,511,702 - $2,290,457. If he got a 2.9M offer sheet Leafs would take the 2nd is my guess.

What use would it be offersheet him at a range the Leafs would certainly match, because the compensation is not high enough?

If you offersheet more and it costs a 2nd comp for Leafs to walk away, then just offer a 2nd in trade to begin with and sign him to any deal they like thereafter. .
Yeah I doubt the Leafs walk away from Robertson if Carolina gives him a max AAV offer sheet in the 3rd round comp range. IMO a roughly 2.3M cap hit isn't enough of an overpayment for Robertson where the Leafs would rather have a 3rd rounder from the Canes.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
If his options are sign or sit, he'll sign. It seems nobody ever offers us a 2nd for a player

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If his options are sign or sit, he'll sign. It seems nobody ever offers us a 2nd for a player

I still see him getting moved perhaps in a package to Winnipeg for Rutger McGroarty.

1720362568922.png

With two unhappy players that seemingly want a change of scenery, the Leafs and Jets could solve both their problems with a trade.

A recent rumour suggested that the Leafs could package Robertson and a draft pick/prospect together in exchange for McGroarty. Robertson would get the fresh start and opportunity he is looking for in Winnipeg, while McGroarty could follow in Matthew Knies' footsteps and join the Leafs at the end of the NCAA season. McGroarty would also add a high-end prospect to a fairly modest prospect pool which is something the Leafs need if they are looking to remain as competitive as possible with Auston Matthews and William Nylander locked in for at least the next four seasons.

Last season at University of Michigan, McGroarty had 16 goals 52 points in 36 games while Robertson had 14 goals and 27 points in 56 games for the Leafs.

Reactions: Da Mash and ToneDog

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Beck Malenstyn a 26-year-old fwd with arb rights was just dealt at the draft for the 43rd overall pick in this past draft. His career total of 8 goals and 24 points in 105 games.

Surely Robertson has some value out there at least equivalent to that.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Link? Also this is the AAV comp range for a 3rd round pick this year: $1,511,702 - $2,290,457. If he got a 2.9M offer sheet Leafs would take the 2nd is my guess.

Yeah I doubt the Leafs walk away from Robertson if Carolina gives him a max AAV offer sheet in the 3rd round comp range. IMO a roughly 2.3M cap hit isn't enough of an overpayment for Robertson where the Leafs would rather have a 3rd rounder from the Canes.

Watched it on youtube, do a search for Robertson and Canes.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Its a good thing if you can make a competitor pay more than they wanted to for a player. If the Leaf's want to give Nick 1 mil and the Canes force them to match at 2 mil, that's a mil more on the Leafs cap, which in turn makes other moves harder for the Leafs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its a good thing if you can make a competitor pay more than they wanted to for a player. If the Leaf's want to give Nick 1 mil and the Canes force them to match at 2 mil, that's a mil more on the Leafs cap, which in turn makes other moves harder for the Leafs.
Nikki Bobby also had Arbitration rights like Dewar but did not file because he doesn't want to sign in Toronto..

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Beck Malenstyn a 26-year-old fwd with arb rights was just dealt at the draft for the 43rd overall pick in this past draft. His career total of 8 goals and 24 points in 105 games.

14 goals and 27 points in 56 games is nothing to sneeze at. He's definitely raised his value this season.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Malenstyn is more of a big physical forward so the comparison to Robertson's production doesn't make too much sense. Plus it's Buffalo making the trade so you have to factor in some overpay.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Malenstyn is more of a big physical forward so the comparison to Robertson's production doesn't make too much sense. Plus it's Buffalo making the trade so you have to factor in some overpay.

I'd pay more for the player who can produce more.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
What do they even have that would be of interest to us? They aren't exactly rolling in available forwards either

Are they willing to retain salary? If so, Mikael Backlund would be a good 3C. Same fire Blake Coleman as a 3W. That’s about all I’d want from Calgary (beyond Anderson and Weegar)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
To be fair, our team was having trouble scoring, Robertson has one of the best shots on the team, he was getting some good chances, there were top-six openings with core injuries, and there should have been even more openings with Treliving's forward additions playing like trash, and yet all he got were less than 10 min a game in the bottom six, and then scratched for Gregor, who hadn't done anything all year.

Yup, those crappy forwards we added only managed to outscore 3 of the core 4….

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You know what, if this is true, good riddance.
We don’t need that kind of entitlement
I don’t think he was managed well by Keefe and management at all, but our cap is our cap and him being waiver exempt dictates some moves that needed to happen and he was always quickly recalled when we needed to exercise that move.
why? is the Leaf's entitlement quota full because of Mathews, Marner, and Styles?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad