Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
It's a shame Toronto doesn't have a 1st round pick next year, because I'd definitely offer Winnipeg Robertson and a 1st round pick for McGroaty based on the following simple premise... Toronto would be likely to pick in the #20-#32 range again next year. If they believe that McGroaty is legitimately a top 15 talent from his draft class, has a skill set they're looking for, and is likely to be ready to contribute on an ELC in the next 1-2 years... That's more than worth it to me given how many late 1st round picks end up being top end players and how long it usually takes for them to reach that point. With Matthews and company in the midst of their primes, finding cheap, high end talent that is NHL ready (or close) to surround them is paramount.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's a shame Toronto doesn't have a 1st round pick next year, because I'd definitely offer Winnipeg Robertson and a 1st round pick for McGroaty based on the following simple premise... Toronto would be likely to pick in the #20-#32 range again next year. If they believe that McGroaty is legitimately a top 15 talent from his draft class, has a skill set they're looking for, and is likely to be ready to contribute on an ELC in the next 1-2 years... That's more than worth it to me given how many late 1st round picks end up being top end players and how long it usually takes for them to reach that point. With Matthews and company in the midst of their primes, finding cheap, high end talent that is NHL ready (or close) to surround them is paramount.
This ^^^. It would go a long way if we could replace Bert with a quality winger on an ELC. Tre should be all over this, just like Dubas should have been all over Bennett. When opportunity knocks, answer the door.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
why? is the Leaf's entitlement quota full because of Mathews, Marner, and Styles?

There’s a fairly significant difference and I think you know that. Those 3 are not only our best players but among the best players in the entire league. Conversely, Robertson is a 22 year old trying to stick at the NHL level.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The Leafs should work on a package that sends Robertson to Winnipeg for Rutger McGroarty.

The Leafs should make a play to pry Rutger McGroarty out of Winnipeg

News broke last week that Jets 2022 first-round pick Rutger McGroarty was seeking a trade, with most assuming that a deal could come across the finish line as soon as a few days ago so Winnipeg could recoup a first-rounder in this year’s draft. It hasn’t happened yet, but there’s still a strong chance he could be moved as the first round kicks off in less than an hour.

McGroarty, 20, was one of the best players in college hockey this season. Suiting up in his sophomore campaign at the University of Michigan, he finished top ten in NCAA-wide scoring with 52 points (16 goals, 36 assists) in 36 games. He was a nominee for the Hobey Baker Award for the top player in collegiate hockey and captained the United States to a gold medal at the 2024 World Juniors, scoring five goals and four assists in seven games.

Typically, a player growing up a Leafs fan is a fun little tidbit for fans and nothing more, but in this case, where McGroarty could potentially have a say in where he ends up, it might work in Toronto’s favour.

Probably be done if Jets had any interest.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So I posted this in another thread but Jonas Segal said on Overdrive last week that this isn’t about playing time. It’s about how he was treated as a player by Leafs development staff. Robertson feels like he has no clear direction from the staff. When he asks for a path forward and how he can improve he’s never given a straight answer. Then we he finally gets an answer and goes out and works on it, he’s told he’s not good enough or not doing that thing good enough. He feels like he’s been toyed with by the development staff and feels in limbo.

If this is true, you can see how that may have negatively affected his mental health.
I'd be surprised if this was true at all.

When has anyone ever mentioned anything similar?
Mostly you hear the complete opposite.

Sounds like an attitude you don't want around your prospects.

Or a complete misinterpretation of what Robertson was trying to relay.

Reactions: francis246

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yup, those crappy forwards we added only managed to outscore 3 of the core 4….
They certainly managed to pick up more fluffed up secondary assists and not be injured. Unfortunately doesn't change how poorly they played.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I'd be surprised if this was true at all.

When has anyone ever mentioned anything similar?
Mostly you hear the complete opposite.

Sounds like an attitude you don't want around your prospects.

Or a complete misinterpretation of what Robertson was trying to relay.

I took it as that’s Robertson’s side. But he probably has some issues with communication or receiving feedback. I mean this isn’t uncommon in sports. Players and Player development staff don’t always get along or have great relationships.

To be honest I think it’s a 50/50 thing. The team hasn’t handled Robertson the best. But Robertson hasn’t done anything to really establish himself as a top 6 guy.

Sep 18, 2009
I wouldn't trade this guy with the exception of a beneficial return as the cap strapped leafs need a cap casualty roberson to pinch in some goals from the wing

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I think if someone offers a 2nd he's gone. Nobody is going to do that though. He's small, not fast enough, needs sheltering

Hes literally a perfect fit for the leafs who need depth scoring. He can even move up the lineup if there are injuries.

Hell Nick only missed so much time because of his own injuries

Reactions: saffronleaf

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Get some draft capital next year for him .. he can't play Berube hockey .. and he won't be happy on farm this season

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Yeah I'm a McGroaty fan too, I'd do Robertson + Minten for McGroaty (and also feel that's pretty fair value both ways).

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
We've now changed GM and Coach in back to back years and now he asks for a trade?

Must have more to do with culture than any animosity with the org itself at this point. He is literally primed to replace Bertuzzi here, top-9 role is right there to be earned.

Reactions: francis246

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
We've now changed GM and Coach in back to back years and now he asks for a trade?

Must have more to do with culture than any animosity with the org itself at this point. He is literally primed to replace Bertuzzi here, top-9 role is right there to be earned.

Cowan
McMann
Knies
Jarnkrok
Domi

He needs to beat out one or more than one of those five, right? If he has any confidence in his abilities he should be able to.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I don't trust anything Wickenheiser says when it comes to this stuff.

She's been saying Alex Steeves is ready for at least the last couple of years. Guy is a AAAA player at best and she keeps hyping him up.

Mason Marchment and Carter Vearheage were supposed to be career minor leaguers but turned into impact NHL players. Steeves might have that ability as well. He’s absolutely ready for a 4th line role. If Connor Dewar is awarded too much in arbitration then Steeves could easily fill his role.

The Leafs should work on a package that sends Robertson to Winnipeg for Rutger McGroarty.

The Leafs should make a play to pry Rutger McGroarty out of Winnipeg

News broke last week that Jets 2022 first-round pick Rutger McGroarty was seeking a trade, with most assuming that a deal could come across the finish line as soon as a few days ago so Winnipeg could recoup a first-rounder in this year’s draft. It hasn’t happened yet, but there’s still a strong chance he could be moved as the first round kicks off in less than an hour.

McGroarty, 20, was one of the best players in college hockey this season. Suiting up in his sophomore campaign at the University of Michigan, he finished top ten in NCAA-wide scoring with 52 points (16 goals, 36 assists) in 36 games. He was a nominee for the Hobey Baker Award for the top player in collegiate hockey and captained the United States to a gold medal at the 2024 World Juniors, scoring five goals and four assists in seven games.

Typically, a player growing up a Leafs fan is a fun little tidbit for fans and nothing more, but in this case, where McGroarty could potentially have a say in where he ends up, it might work in Toronto’s favour.

Why would Nick Robertson be willing to sign an extension with Winnipeg?

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
A Robertson trade is a move that you almost can't win. Even if we get full value for him, let's say a 2nd rounder for argument's sake, he could still end up breaking out with the new team and we take a loss. Or you end up missing on the pick at the draft table.

I hope they don't move him just yet. Let him play. This team has terrible forward prospect depth. You can't find a roster spot for this guy?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
A Robertson trade is a move that you almost can't win. Even if we get full value for him, let's say a 2nd rounder for argument's sake, he could still end up breaking out with the new team and we take a loss. Or you end up missing on the pick at the draft table.

I hope they don't move him just yet. Let him play. This team has terrible forward prospect depth. You can't find a roster spot for this guy?
He is too slow and he is too small to play Berube's wall game .. and we already have too many other small forwards who will struggle in Berube's system

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Get some draft capital next year for him .. he can't play Berube hockey .. and he won't be happy on farm this season
What's Berube hockey? He values compete, which Robertson provides. The idea that he wants the broad street bullies is nonsense.

Look at his cup team, many players similar to Robertson on the roster......Schwartz, Bozak, Fabbri etc. etc.

He'll be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad