Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A Robertson trade is a move that you almost can't win. Even if we get full value for him, let's say a 2nd rounder for argument's sake, he could still end up breaking out with the new team and we take a loss. Or you end up missing on the pick at the draft table.

I hope they don't move him just yet. Let him play. This team has terrible forward prospect depth. You can't find a roster spot for this guy?

There is a possibility where Robertson is basically just an unplayable Nic Petan and a 2nd is great value for him…

But you’re right. We shouldn’t be forced to do anything with him that doesn’t benefit the Toronto Maple Leafs. Don’t owe it to him to cut him loose or give him a chance elsewhere. Don’t owe it to him to give him a roster spot. He can come in, sign a cheap deal and compete fair and square for a roster spot. That’s all he gets.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I mean if he has to move and we can get a 2nd for him then lets do it. We can always flip that 2nd at the TDL for "adds"

If management doesnt see Robertson getting top6 minutes; and Robertson also wants out then we gotta go ahead and get it done

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If there's no market for him, hold firm and let him sit out if need be. The Leafs actually could use a scoring LWer in the line up in lieu of Bertuzzi's exit .. so if Robertson can get past this, he can see he has a chance at a spot with a new coach in the line up.

Leafs management could also play hardball against Robertson if the player is uncooperative to set a tone. Leafs promoted him out of the OHL a little too early, but aside from the initial promotion his major problem has been massive injuries and lost development time. To ask for a trade when he has a clear path to a middle six job just reeks of entitlement, like what we saw with Sandin a couple of years ago when he was threatening to hold out.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I hope they trade this guy soon.

And the sooner the better. Someone doesn't want to be here nobody should want him here. Maybe there is a spot for Robertson in the lineup now that Bertuzzi is gone.

That just means there's a spot in the lineup for his replacement too.

Shouldn't be too hard to replace Robertson's production either. It's not like he brought anything else to the table. The fact he actually managed to stay healthy enough to score a few goals means he does have some trade value.

Unloading him at max worth before he gets hurt again seemed like a no brainer already.

Now that Robertson's demanded a trade it's even more so. The privileged entitled attitude in the locker room needs to end. When mediocre scrubs like Robertson attempt to dictate their position in the lineup it's clear the players think they have taken over the dressing room.

Trading a spoiled brat like that can only be a good thing.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I hope they trade this guy soon.

And the sooner the better. Someone doesn't want to be here nobody should want him here. Maybe there is a spot for Robertson in the lineup now that Bertuzzi is gone.

That just means there's a spot in the lineup for his replacement too.

Shouldn't be too hard to replace Robertson's production either. It's not like he brought anything else to the table. The fact he actually managed to stay healthy enough to score a few goals means he does have some trade value.

Unloading him at max worth before he gets hurt again seemed like a no brainer already.

Now that Robertson's demanded a trade it's even more so. The privileged entitled attitude in the locker room needs to end. When mediocre scrubs like Robertson attempt to dictate their position in the lineup it's clear the players think they have taken over the dressing room.

Trading a spoiled brat like that can only be a good thing.

LOL, do you wake up everyday and say, “how am I gonna go on to HF Boards and make up something about the locker room today?”

The reality is, we don’t know why he asked for a trade and asking for a trade isn’t illegal. Many players do it, privately, publicly. Jake Debrusk did the same thing cause he hated the coach (who’s now in Vegas, I forget his name). They still got him to come play the next year. It’ll all get sorted. Robertson’s socials still have the leafs all over it, let’s trust Brad to figure it out.

Leafs management could also play hardball against Robertson if the player is uncooperative to set a tone. Leafs promoted him out of the OHL a little too early, but aside from the initial promotion his major problem has been massive injuries and lost development time. To ask for a trade when he has a clear path to a middle six job just reeks of entitlement, like what we saw with Sandin a couple of years ago when he was threatening to hold out.

You’re entitled if you want a fresh start somewhere? Again a few people in the athletic reported this isn’t a play time issue. Robertson wasn’t unhappy with his minutes. He just doesn’t want to play in this organization anymore. Only he and Treliving know the reasons.

Either way I think Treliving talks to Nick and sorts it out. Robertson will be a leaf this year.

• Love
Reactions: Frostitute

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
LOL, do you wake up everyday and say, “how am I gonna go on to HF Boards and make up something about the locker room today?”

The reality is, we don’t know why he asked for a trade and asking for a trade isn’t illegal. Many players do it, privately, publicly. Jake Debrusk did the same thing cause he hated the coach (who’s now in Vegas, I forget his name). They still got him to come play the next year. It’ll all get sorted. Robertson’s socials still have the leafs all over it, let’s trust Brad to figure it out.

The more I think about it the more I don't even care why he asked for a trade.

He asked for a trade. That's a good enough reason alone to trade him. The fact they can actually get something more back than just future considerations after his career year last season is another good reason to unload him.

The reason why he asked for a trade really isn't even important anymore at this point.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The more I think about it the more I don't even care why he asked for a trade.

He asked for a trade. That's a good enough reason alone to trade him. The fact they can actually get something more back than just future considerations after his career year last season is another good reason to unload him.

The reason why he asked for a trade really isn't even important anymore at this point.

Honestly, I think it’s just a kid, who wants a fresh start somewhere else. I don’t think it’s as deep as people are making it seem.

If the leafs wanted to get rid of him they would have done it by now. You can’t just give up young assets for free. It will be a Mason Marchment trade all over again. Robertson is small but his shot is lethal. He goes to a team that actually values having two PP’s. He’s a 20 goal scorer easily. I think you do whatever you can to convince him to stay, put him in a position to succeed and build up his value. Trade him at the deadline for whatever we need to help us win.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Time to stop caving to the player's wants.

Offer him a fair contract, if he doesn't want to sign, he can find another league to play in until another team offers something that the Leafs feel is an upgrade.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I think what a lot of Leaf’s fans want to see is Treliving make an actual hockey trade (deadline deals not counting) towards shaping and helping the team.

To me, I am not certain that many of the old Dubas picks are in those plans. Better to sell now then wait and hold imo.

Roberston
Liljegren
Niemala
Hirvonen

All fit this bill…

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I wonder if he had a change of heart seeing that the leafs lost Bertuzzi and didn't add a single forward to replace him

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Someone mentioned Frank Vatrano as a target using Robertson.

Giddy-up if there's smoke.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He is too slow and he is too small to play Berube's wall game .. and we already have too many other small forwards who will struggle in Berube's system

I don't think we have as many small forwards as people believe.

Some of those players listed above don't play much, if at all, so looking at key players, not a great deal of difference.

Maybe they just play small, or were coached small.

Reactions: Menzinger

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
This guy needs to shut up and have a full season. Play 82 games. Get 20 plus goals. Then we can trade him and get value back. Getting less than 2nd round pick value for him is a fail and he's not worth that right now.

He has been given every opportunity and he hasn't earned a top 6 spot. D isn't good enough for bottom 6.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

I recall the issue being that he keeps getting yoyo’d around to the AHL because of cap issues that management voluntarily creates for themselves. Sandin didn’t get the same treatment.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
As a side: Once a player goes public with a request like that, it just feels like a line you don't cross back over from.

Every TEAM is a collective effort and essential to that effort is discretion when disagreement arises.

I think a demand to be traded that goes public has dissolved trust between the club and the player requesting it.

We do what's best for the club. But we also demonstrate that what's best for the club is to k value the public integrity (even the appearance of integrity) of the club as much as one would hope private and personal integrity is valued. They're one and the same.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
As a side: Once a player goes public with a request like that, it just feels like a line you don't cross back over from.

Every TEAM is a collective effort and essential to that effort is discretion when disagreement arises.

I think a demand to be traded that goes public has dissolved trust between the club and the player requesting it.

We do what's best for the club. But we also demonstrate that what's best for the club is to k value the public integrity (even the appearance of integrity) of the club as much as one would hope private and personal integrity is valued. They're one and the same.

also worth noting that by the time these requests are made public they've usually been requested internally long beforehand. I wouldn't be surprised if he had requested a trade at the beginning of the year.

Reactions: ITM and francis246

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
also worth noting that by the time these requests are made public they've usually been requested internally long beforehand. I wouldn't be surprised if he had requested a trade at the beginning of the year.

While you may be correct, that timing would have been even more ridiculous than him demanding a trade now.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I recall the issue being that he keeps getting yoyo’d around to the AHL because of cap issues that management voluntarily creates for themselves. Sandin didn’t get the same treatment.

This is really the only year that he’s been healthy enough to make an issue of it and he was barely even really yoyo’d between the AHL and NHL.

Started in the AHL because he was waiver exempt, only partly due to cap, and was called up after 9 games in about a month. He stays with the big club until March, when he is assigned to the Marlies very briefly (which was purely a paper transaction, never even left the team) because Jarnkrok was being activated. Never played another game in the AHL after the very beginning of November.

I think the argument he was yoyo’d in and out of the lineup by Keefe is a more compelling one personally, but Nick’s game isn’t without its warts and he was one of the least experienced players on the team when they were looking to cycle in other forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: CincoHolio

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

That’s pretty much par for course for any ELC level player who hasn’t entrenched themselves.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That’s pretty much par for course for any ELC level player who hasn’t entrenched themselves.

Though guys like Robertson (and Sandin) were/are passed the elf stage. It's tricky to balance the icetime needs for development of these mid-stage rfa guys like Robertson/Sandin. Leafs have prioritized winning - which makes sense given where the team as a whole is - but I think it does lead to some guys development getting less emphasized. A guy like Knies didn't have to deal with this because he was able to step in immediately

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00