Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Personally I like Nicky Bobby more than most I feel. He’s small but he excels at one of the hardest parts of the game (scoring goals) and he doesn’t cheat you for effort. I know people think that with Treliving and Berube running the show there’s no place for Robertson but both our GM and Coach have had small and skilled players grow and excel under them.

All that said I have no idea what Nick’s plan is. There’s a wide open spot for him in the top six with Bertuzzi gone. If he plays well enough he could hit 20 goals here over a full season, potentially more if he gets PP time. I still don’t know why he chose now of all times to demand a trade, with Keefe gone his least biggest fan has been removed.

Regardless, the Leafs should hold firm and tell him to sign or he can go kick it in Europe. He’s got no leverage.

Last edited:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Nick is going to be an NHL caliber scorer if he stays healthy but he needs to be playing with playmakers and have powerplay time to reach his full potential and I just don't see who he knocks out of the top 6 and the top PP unit.

I could see us sending him to Mark Leach's former team to join his brother Jason. I'd want back Dallas 3rd plus a prospect like McDonnell, Seminoff, Mennetian, or Kyrou (whichever Leach thinks is a hidden gem).

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Would we match if the same offer sheet was given to Robertson that was given to Holloway? Believe it would put them over the cap by a million or so.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010

Personally I like Nicky Bobby more than most I feel. He’s small but he excels at one of the hardest parts of the game (scoring goals) and he doesn’t cheat you for effort. I know people think that with Treliving and Berube running the show there’s no place for Robertson but both our GM and Coach have had small and skilled players grow and excel under them.

All that said I have no idea what Nick’s plan is. There’s a wide open spot for him in the top six with Bertuzzi gone. If he plays well enough he could hit 20 goals here over a full season, potentially more if he gets PP time. I still don’t know why he chose now of all times to demand a trade, with Keefe gone his least biggest fan has been removed.

Regardless, the Leafs should hold firm and tell him to sign or he can go kick it in Europe. He’s got no leverage.

The plan is to get overpaid like everyone else. Scotiabank is open.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Would we match if the same offer sheet was given to Robertson that was given to Holloway? Believe it would put them over the cap by a million or so.

It's sad, but the Leafs wouldn't match, and he'd be gone.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

A 3rd for Robertson is terrible. I'd easily match that and dump/waive someone else. That could backfire on Robertson if he really wants a fresh start because he'd be locked with the Leafs for awhile so I don't think his camp wants an offer sheet unless it's a massive overpay.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Robertson wants out, he’s not going to sign and offer sheet

Sep 18, 2009
RObertson was very good outside the NHL big potential but little to show for it
i keep him out of spites

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Wouldn't be surprised if a team offersheets him for 2.29M x 1

Leafs would be hard pressed to match that and would only get a 3rd.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I hope the Robertson hype grows and grows in his absence and the Leafs can cash out big time amidst the hype machine and fog of war setting in.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Wouldn't be surprised if a team offersheets him for 2.29M x 1

Leafs would be hard pressed to match that and would only get a 3rd.
I'd begrudgingly try to pay that over receiving a measly third round pick in return. Moving well into the salary level for 2nd round pick compensation is the point at which I'd think about walking away (because of the contract involved and not really the return).

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
I don’t think he has a future with the Leafs. Tree was on Overdrive yst and when mentioning younger players that are going to take the next step he didn’t mention Robertson lol. What I don’t get is Robertson isn’t waiver eligible right ? Why not sign and then asked to be put on waivers if he doesn’t make the team.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don’t think he has a future with the Leafs. Tree was on Overdrive yst and when mentioning younger players that are going to take the next step he didn’t mention Robertson lol. What I don’t get is Robertson isn’t waiver eligible right ? Why not sign and then asked to be put on waivers if he doesn’t make the team.

He's not signed. Of course he's not going to mention him.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
There seems to be some recent smoke (Friedman and CJ) around TOR looking for a left-winger. Robertson's name is also being mentioned (as it should) around this topic.

I listened to CJ this morning in which he didn't mention anything specific. Using the word "exploring".

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Trade him if you can get something for him. There is no room for him on the roster as is, and I'm not even sure if Robertson is even an NHL player.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Still such a strange situation and timing from Nick.
One of the few guys who’s likely to wayyyyy outproduce his contract if or when he signs.

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
Are there any other players (LW,D or C) kinda in the same situation same age that we could swap for? I mean they Pitt and peg managed to trade high level first rounders I’m sure a player like Nic would be an easier trade no?

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Are there any other players (LW,D or C) kinda in the same situation same age that we could swap for? I mean they Pitt and peg managed to trade high level first rounders I’m sure a player like Nic would be an easier trade no?
Arthur Kaliyev in LA maybe? He normally plays RW but is a left shot

Reactions: D00bis

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
Arthur Kaliyev in LA maybe? He normally plays RW but is a left shot
and Nic is Cali born could be a good swap for both parties. At this point I think the relationship with management and the fans have soured if he doesn’t want to be here head to Pearson bud

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The plan is to get overpaid like everyone else. Scotiabank is open.

Who is everyone else? They've basically squeezed everyone but the core. And of the core, none of them got paid before they proved themselves. Matthews was already a 40 goal scorer, Marner had 90 points, Tavares had higher offers elsewhere as a top UFA.

Bad narrative is bad.

As for Nick, I want him to succeed because he is a Leaf but have never liked his game very much or his attitude. He has a hell of a shot though and it feels like he will be an NHLer for a few years at least if he is given chances to use it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Who is everyone else? They've basically squeezed everyone but the core. And of the core, none of them got paid before they proved themselves. Matthews was already a 40 goal scorer, Marner had 90 points, Tavares had higher offers elsewhere as a top UFA.

Bad narrative is bad.

As for Nick, I want him to succeed because he is a Leaf but have never liked his game very much or his attitude. He has a hell of a shot though and it feels like he will be an NHLer for a few years at least if he is given chances to use it.

I am a big fan of Nick Robertson, and his shot is the second best on the team IMO. He should have been used quite a bit more on a struggling power play, and can understand his frustrations. I appreciate that his NHL game isn't perfect though, but his shot makes him worth continuing to work with.

All of that being said, he's been injured a ton, and only has 34 NHL points.... what value is there in such a player who has that in 5 part time NHL seasons? I just don't see other GM's lining up to pay us much for such a player.

He needs to build up his own value. Come play, and prove to the world that he IS that player he and his team think he is. Then he can choose to stay, or perhaps we'd actually get value in a trade, and accommodate moving him. For now, it makes no sense to trade him for a nothing pick. So come sign and play to prove your value, or go play in Europe, or sit and don't prove your value. He really doesn't hold any of the cards, and there isn't much of a reason for us to grant his wishes and get poor value back.

Reactions: Dr C and Anthrax442

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Unless he’s going to be a huge distraction to the team…

Sit him. He has zero leverage. Yes, we need a good LW, but it’s not imperative that we start the year with one. We are a good enough team that we won’t sink in the first 20 games of the regular season with a big hole on the left. Whether that’s from him not being in the lineup or from whoever we might have traded him for.

He will cave. How can he not? Whether it’s during training camp, 5 games into the regular season, or 20…he will cave. Why would he sit out an entire year? His development will suffer, his reputation will suffer, his value for a trade will suffer.

This is a good opportunity for management to show both the fans and the personnel on the team that things are different and it’s not all about the individual. They’re giving Robertson a great opportunity on the team this year to succeed,they don’t need to give him anything else than that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it is best he is moved for whatever you can for him.

Doesn't sound like someone you keep around the team.

Has he turned purple yet?

I’m not a fan of the kid at all. If we draw out a timeline of catastrophic Nick Robertson injures, where did the organization not do right by him, and with a roster spot at LW for him what a strangely hissy fit time to ask to be moved.

I don’t want him back in the fold but I couldn’t be arsed to accommodate a trade request either.

Reactions: Dr C

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2