Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade (Update signs 1 year/875k deal with leafs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Fair enough. Bourque would be a great target for us, but I can't see Dallas being at all interested in moving him, and I can't see them being all that interested in Robertson. The value between these two really shouldn't be close.

Unfortunately, we don't know.

Robertson didn't stay in the AHL long enough to put up the same points.

Robertson maybe been a tweener, too good and not good enough.

If it was just about putting up AHL points, Leafs wouldn't need to sign bottom hanging NHL fruit.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Unfortunately, we don't know.

Robertson didn't stay in the AHL long enough to put up the same points.

Robertson maybe been a tweener, too good and not good enough.

If it was just about putting up AHL points, Leafs wouldn't need to sign bottom hanging NHL fruit.

From the outside, the downside to Robertson’s career path is he had a strong draft plus one, was kind of earmarked for progression a la Logan Stankoven during the bubble playoffs and then just hit a wall with injuries, lost play time.

Unfortunately, his 200 foot game and IQ is quite poor, ballasted against a very unique shot and scoring touch. So to bring him up to speed to where he’s playing a shift that meets a certain standard and let the production catch up needs to be a careful process between the team and player. But seems obvious he has no patience for it. Right now the juice is barely worth the squeeze and he’s pulling the chute on the Leafs. Not exactly a guy you want to work with, but there’s also no incentive for the Leafs to cut him loose.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Nicky Bobby picked probably the worst time to play hardball with the leafs. We've already been bullied into embarrassment by the core, there's little to no incentive to overpay someone who isn't even a lock on the 3rd line or 2nd PP. Unless someone offers a similar prospect or a 2nd rounder to recoup he's going to have to either suck it up and sign for a low dollar or sit

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Nicky Bobby picked probably the worst time to play hardball with the leafs. We've already been bullied into embarrassment by the core, there's little to no incentive to overpay someone who isn't even a lock on the 3rd line or 2nd PP. Unless someone offers a similar prospect or a 2nd rounder to recoup he's going to have to either suck it up and sign for a low dollar or sit
I don't think he's looking to get paid, necessarily. I think he just wants to be somewhere else.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What happens if he doesn’t sign the qualifying offer? I am kinda lost on RFA’s and their status.
If the player rejects a qualifying offer, he remains a restricted free agent. If the player does not sign before December 1, he is ineligible to play in the NHL for the remainder of the season. We retain his RFA rights until he is 25 years old on July 1st, at which point he becomes a UFA. That would be July 1st, 2027, He isn't going to sit out until then.

His options are.

1. Sign
2. Play in Europe
3. Sit
4. Sign an offer sheet.

Reactions: trellaine201

BullyHockey

Dec 26, 2023
So what's going on with this guy? Considering how weak the LW position is, you'd think he'd be salivating at a chance to play with either a playmaker like Marner or Nylander, or potentially even matthews. Where are you going to go that's going to give a better option based on depth of LW and the talent on the top 6... unless he feels people at the management team simply don't like him or vice versa(or both). It's weird.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So what's going on with this guy? Considering how weak the LW position is, you'd think he'd be salivating at a chance to play with either a playmaker like Marner or Nylander, or potentially even matthews. Where are you going to go that's going to give a better option based on depth of LW and the talent on the top 6... unless he feels people at the management team simply don't like him or vice versa(or both). It's weird.
You’d have to think he didn’t like what he heard at his exit interview last Spring.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
With ice time and PP time he's a 30 goal guy.. so I hope they convince him to stay now that there is room in the top 6.. or that they get something for him.

Kind of inexplicable why he didn't get more opportunity with Keefe but then again Keefe's lineup management was always impossible to understand.

Reactions: arso40

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You’d have to think he didn’t like what he heard at his exit interview last Spring.
Possible. Or didn't like the lack of PP time. Or didn't like being healthy scratched.

But, for the playoffs... 6 games, 11 shots, 0 goals, 0 points, -2... not really a great stat line.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Possible. Or didn't like the lack of PP time. Or didn't like being healthy scratched.

But, for the playoffs... 6 games, 11 shots, 0 goals, 0 points, -2... not really a great stat line.
I’m sure all of that would have been brought up and I would think both sides would have been honest with each other.
I also think Treliving would do what’s in the best interest of the Leafs. I think he’ll eventually move him.

Reactions: ULF_55

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I read on Twitter, someone suggesting that there was a rumour that the Leafs had talked about trading Robertson + Kampf to the Ducks for Vatrano. Vatrano has been rumoured to be on the trade block, and is a LW, who put up 60 points last year, 37 goals. He's got one year left on a $3.65 mil contract. There seems to be no insiders behind this though. I'd do that trade.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I’m not a fan of the kid at all. If we draw out a timeline of catastrophic Nick Robertson injures, where did the organization not do right by him, and with a roster spot at LW for him what a strangely hissy fit time to ask to be moved.

I don’t want him back in the fold but I couldn’t be arsed to accommodate a trade request either.

I'm glad our GM is not throwing away a good prospect over feelings, that is something a child would do.

Robertson is likely not going to get a return close to his potential, so why not try to mend the relationship and have him stay in Toronto?

We have a roster spot open, tell him we will give him a shot (he's earned a look), and then if it doesn't work, we will look into trading him.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
They didn't squeeze anyone. There's the guys that got overpaid, and the guys that left because all the money was gone. It's 2024 and we're still going to pretend they didn't overpay. Luckily for those of us who live in reality, the proof is in the pudding. You fanboys should join us here on Earth.

Who? Name names. Guarantee your list is going to be laughable.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

With his history of health I'm sure he could go over and get $200k in the Swiss league.

It's probably better for him to risk his career for $200k in the Swiss league than for $1mm in the NHL.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm glad our GM is not throwing away a good prospect over feelings, that is something a child would do.

Robertson is likely not going to get a return close to his potential, so why not try to mend the relationship and have him stay in Toronto?

We have a roster spot open, tell him we will give him a shot (he's earned a look), and then if it doesn't work, we will look into trading him.

Just curious, what would you do to mend the relationship?

Considering, you've already told him he is valued and there is an opening he would compete for?

Perhaps, he's like McGroarty rumour, not wanting to compete for the spot, not wanting to earn the spot, but wants a guarantee he'll play in the NHL regardless of how he performs?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Just curious, what would you do to mend the relationship?

Considering, you've already told him he is valued and there is an opening he would compete for?

Perhaps, he's like McGroarty rumour, not wanting to compete for the spot, not wanting to earn the spot, but wants a guarantee he'll play in the NHL regardless of how he performs?

Robertson has earned a look already.

If guys like Reaves and Dewar are better, trade him for a 5th, he is worthless.

If he has more value than those guys, then find a spot for him and give him some playing time.

Most relationships are mendable, especially professionally.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

That’s the thing. The Leafs don’t need to mend the relationship with Robertson. They don’t need to placate the player, sign the player, promise him anything, give him a shot or trade the player. He’s done nothing special and doesn’t warrant that kind of special treatment. He can go abroad and do whatever he wants.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

If he has more value than those guys, then find a spot for him and give him some playing time.

He’s had some looks but those aren’t guys he would be competing with.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

He's already been told he has that opportunity.

Again, VGK probably have moved his butt already.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That’s the thing. The Leafs don’t need to mend the relationship with Robertson. They don’t need to placate the player, sign the player, promise him anything, give him a shot or trade the player. He’s done nothing special and doesn’t warrant that kind of special treatment. He can go abroad and do whatever he wants.

He is better than a few players on our current roster, that isn't special treatment, that is giving someone something they deserve.

He’s had some looks but those aren’t guys he would be competing with.

We have guys who can fill in those spots.

Reaves is out of place on his line but we are playing him.

We have a few players who are playing in a position that doesn't fit their skillset, yet we do it.

Push Jarnkrok/Holmberg down and give Robertson a more offensive role, it is really not difficult.

He's already been told he has that opportunity.

Again, VGK probably have moved his butt already.

What has been the communication? Very few relationships can not be repaired...

Debrusk also wanted out last year and ended up having a great year.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He is better than a few players on our current roster, that isn't special treatment, that is giving someone something they deserve.

We have guys who can fill in those spots.

Reaves is out of place on his line but we are playing him.

We have a few players who are playing in a position that doesn't fit their skillset, yet we do it.

Push Jarnkrok/Holmberg down and give Robertson a more offensive role, it is really not difficult.

What has been the communication? Very few relationships can not be repaired...

Debrusk also wanted out last year and ended up having a great year.
Jarnkrok and Holmberg are better players though. They aren’t going to make the team worse because a guys upset. He’s never done anything to force the teams hand to make a spot for him.

Reactions: arso40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad