Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade (Update signs 1 year/875k deal with leafs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I am over hearing how massive of a role Reaves plays by intimidating no one and sticking up for no one.

The only influence one of his hits had in the playoffs was a goal against.

Robertson would get the time in the offensive end, and Jarnkrok wouldn't need to be double shifting all the time because Reaves can't be on for defensive zone draws, this sounds perfect.
When Reaves is out of the lineup they won’t demote Jarnkrok. They can easily throw another 4th liner in there, maybe even Robertson.
If Robertson proves himself in camp I’m sure he’ll get a good look. Lots of competition though and he’s definitely not without some flaws.

In an ideal world, a good Robertson would be buttoning up a 2 LW job in the top 6, competing with Matthew Knies and giving the Leafs their version of a Cole Caufield, poor man’s version…

The fact that he’s in the bottom 6 bin with misfit toys and utility pieces like Reaves, Holmberg, Jarnkrok means he isn’t where he needs to be at this stage in his career.

He’s got a clean slate to make an impression with a new GM and coach, but he doesn’t even look game to do that. What can you do?
Exactly

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
When Reaves is out of the lineup they won’t demote Jarnkrok. They can easily throw another 4th liner in there, maybe even Robertson.
If Robertson proves himself in camp I’m sure he’ll get a good look. Lots of competition though and he’s definitely not without some flaws.

Does Kampf play 8 minutes a night?

The 4th line can finally be used as a legit shutdown line, Jarnkrok would still probably end up around 14-15 mins a night.

Reactions: arso40

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Does Kampf play 8 minutes a night?

The 4th line can finally be used as a legit shutdown line, Jarnkrok would still probably end up around 14-15 mins a night.
What’s you definition of a shutdown line?
I don’t think many teams use their 4th line as a shut down line. Usually they face the other 4th line

Reactions: egd27

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What’s you definition of a shutdown line?
I don’t think many teams use their 4th line as a shut down line. Usually they face the other 4th line

We used them last year.

Kampf was that, but Reaves would sit and Jankrok would double shift.

I don't care what other teams did.

Florida used their 1st and 4th lines for most d zone situations for example.

Matthews and Kampf is likely best for us too.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Fan of his. But taking a weird approach to this regardless. Young kid who missed 2 seasons has to earn his mins. He has done the hard part. This year is his chance. Grass isnt always greener. Have no idea what went on behind the scenes but give your head a shake.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Wonder why every other Leaf rfa supposedly gets multiple offer sheets, but the guy most primed for one continues to sit without a contract?

Reactions: IPS

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I get, to a certain degree, that he can feel a bit disgruntled about his development path with the organization so far. BUT he also has hardly done enough to lock in a spot, and I never like taking spats public (one side on this is a leaky ship to say the least).

At this point just flip him for best potential return. This is his second (allegedly) trade request. You don't want someone whose mentally checked out sitting in the room.

Keeping him around unsigned just extends the drama unnecessarily

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
If Robertson sits out the entire season, do the Leafs still own his rights in 2025-2026?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Jarnkrok and Holmberg are definitely more playable 200 foot players without the offensive ceiling of a Robertson. Robertson is quite poor at many aspects of the game, is positionally terrible and weak at competing for ice and body positioning. Saying grace is he has an unusually elite shot and the hope he could click into place. If and when he makes it he needs to be firmly top 6 and not competing with those two for work. He can’t do what they do.

I’m not high on him personally but he’s a young player who is a work in progress. Wanting out at this stage is just not a request that I respect.

I just don't see the point of keeping him around. Even if they force him to sign, is it a smart idea to keep a young guy who clearly wants out around other young guys like Knies, Lily, and maybe Cowan?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I just don't see the point of keeping him around. Even if they force him to sign, is it a smart idea to keep a young guy who clearly wants out around other young guys like Knies, Lily, and maybe Cowan?
He won’t be around if he’s not signed

Reactions: arso40

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
You can keep saying that, but it is false.

What are the lineups? Are they set? Reaves is taking up a roster spot and is useless, that has everything to do with Robertson.
I really dislike anyone's use of the word "useless". Did your Dad call you that when you played minor hockey?

These are all pros here. Everyone has their strengths. Robertson is not useless. Reeves is not useless. They all can't be Alex Nylander can they?.

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

It appears there's been little to no movement between the Toronto Maple Leafs and restricted free agent Nick Robertson since he requested a trade from the team on June 30.

The 22-year-old winger, who posted 14 goals and 27 points in 56 games with the Maple Leafs last season, remains unsigned as training camp creeps closer and TSN Hockey Insider Chris Johnston does not believe a solution is imminent.

"It's kind of at a standstill right now," Johnston explained on OverDrive Monday. "My understanding is Nick Robertson's desire to move on hasn't changed, but the fact remains he's a restricted free agent, he only has so many rights. Especially if he doesn't want to sign a contract and the organization decides not to move him, really all he could do is miss time and try to put pressure on the team, that way. But obviously it comes at a cost to him, both in terms of getting up to speed in training camp and potentially playing games, and obviously a financial cost."

"I don't know how it will be resolved but as we're getting really close to the start of September here, there doesn't seem to be a resolution in sight and one thing (general manager) Brad Treliving said back on July 1 is the Leafs have a need for Nick Robertson. He's got a great opportunity this season, both because of what he showed last year, the fact that you anticipate someone his age to get better, but also they don't have as much depth at left wing as they have in some years gone by. Maybe there's a path to rebuild things, but right now there's not an obvious solution out there that I see."

Treliving, who is entering his second season as Maple Leafs general manger, made it clear earlier this summer he was not looking to move Robertson, despite his trade request.

"I have certainly known that there was some frustration with Nick, but we look at Nick as an excellent player," Treliving said. "There is great opportunity for Nick here. We need him to be a good player for us.

"I am not going to get into any speculation or public back-and-forth. We will just leave it at that and continue to move forward."

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I really dislike anyone's use of the word "useless". Did your Dad call you that when you played minor hockey?

He did when I had a terrible game, I don't mind it because I know it is a hyperbole, it just means a very bad game or player.

It's all relative anyway.

In the NHL Reaves is useless, in beer league, he'd be the best by a long shot.

These are all pros here. Everyone has their strengths. Robertson is not useless. Reeves is not useless. They all can't be Alex Nylander can they?.

Reaves is useless when compared to other NHLers.

He will have his moments, but he hurts the team more than he helps.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I don’t want him back at all. You take a hard and public stand against the organization, I have no time for that. But I would suggest the Leafs don’t need to accommodate his trade request on his timeline.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Just never saw the hype.

I say maximize his perceived value with the heartstring attachment of uniting with his brother.

And then let our newly acquired talent guru from the Stars go to work.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
You either believe in the player or you don’t . I provided examples why Robertson deserved to be pissed. He had more scoring chances in the games he played than Gregor did.

Nik played 56 games and 6 playoff games. It's not like the Leafs didn't play him. There's no reason for Nik to be upset with his playing time.

McMann took his chances and ran with it. Rob needs to do the same. We have a new coach, he needs to be patient and see what opportunities lies here. He got sheltered minutes, which actually benefited him more than he thinks. Less is more with him

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Are the Leafs running spread out offense or a stacked top 6 and a weird bottom 6 where no one is on the right line?

Also, at this point, Cole Caufield is looking like a poor man's Cole Caufield.

Caufield scored 28 goals last year. It’s good to update the intel from time to time.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Caufield scored 28 goals last year. It’s good to update the intel from time to time.

You must hate Robertson for irrational reasons if you are impressed with Caufield's numbers.

The difference in their goals is PPGs, they have the same G/GP (Robertson is slightly ahead) when you remove that.

Now if you start looking into who they play with and TOI, you may find Robertson's numbers more impressive.

I knew Caufield wasn't living up to the hype but didn't know it was this bad.

Weird to try to defend other players who have similar stats and then hate on Robertson.

It's good to update your intel from time to time.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I get, to a certain degree, that he can feel a bit disgruntled about his development path with the organization so far. BUT he also has hardly done enough to lock in a spot, and I never like taking spats public (one side on this is a leaky ship to say the least).

At this point just flip him for best potential return. This is his second (allegedly) trade request. You don't want someone whose mentally checked out sitting in the room.

Keeping him around unsigned just extends the drama unnecessarily
He appears to be his own worst enemy. He tries to play with his hair on fire, alla Eddie Shack, but he is not big enough or fast enough. He needs to be defensively sound and an opportunist with a great shot. Playing time would help him settle in, but until the D side of his game is strong he cannot get it.
I am sure he thinks his time is running out.

Reactions: Menzinger

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Treliving, who is entering his second season as Maple Leafs general manger, made it clear earlier this summer he was not looking to move Robertson, despite his trade request.

"I have certainly known that there was some frustration with Nick, but we look at Nick as an excellent player," Treliving said. "There is great opportunity for Nick here. We need him to be a good player for us.

"I am not going to get into any speculation or public back-and-forth. We will just leave it at that and continue to move forward."

It's great the Treliving is taking a hard approach with Robinson, but it would be nice if he handled the core with the same approach!

In a way it remains to be seen if he will do that, but the nylander contract suggests otherwise.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Wonder why every other Leaf rfa supposedly gets multiple offer sheets, but the guy most primed for one continues to sit without a contract?
He may have gotten offersheets. Same as all the others that you think got them. Like the supposed others, they would only be made public if they were signed.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You must hate Robertson for irrational reasons if you are impressed with Caufield's numbers.

The difference in their goals is PPGs, they have the same G/GP (Robertson is slightly ahead) when you remove that.

Now if you start looking into who they play with and TOI, you may find Robertson's numbers more impressive.

I knew Caufield wasn't living up to the hype but didn't know it was this bad.

Weird to try to defend other players who have similar stats and then hate on Robertson.

It's good to update your intel from time to time.
Caufield …..81 G 68 A 149 Pts in 205 games
Average 82 games 32 G 27 A 60 Pts

Robertson ..17 G 17 A 34 Pts in 87 games
Average 82 games 16 G 16 A 32 Pts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad