Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade (Update signs 1 year/875k deal with leafs)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I’m not a fan of the kid at all. If we draw out a timeline of catastrophic Nick Robertson injures, where did the organization not do right by him, and with a roster spot at LW for him what a strangely hissy fit time to ask to be moved.

I don’t want him back in the fold but I couldn’t be arsed to accommodate a trade request either.

IMO, he should have at least been used more on the PP last year. With that shot, it was kind of foolish of Keefe not to play him a little more there. Otherwise, there isn't much to beef about.

I think he is a NHL player, but his value is pretty much at it's lowest, and we aren't going to get much value for him. I would rather not trade him for nothing now... if you think you are worth something, prove it, up your value, and we can trade you for something valuable later. If not, rot.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think it is best he is moved for whatever you can for him.

Doesn't sound like someone you keep around the team.

Has he turned purple yet?

Why should the Leafs lose a trade for him? He can go and play in Europe or Russia if he hates being a Leaf that bad. Otherwise the correct thing to do is to take a 1 year deal, go to camp, win a spot in the top 9, and try to get a brand new coaching staff to believe in you.

He thinks he deserves not just an NHL spot but a prime spot and minutes? Why? What has he done? He is a 2nd round pick not a top 10 pick. He hasn't played more than 60 games in the AHL not like he has been locked down there. He has more NHL games than AHL games since he turned 20.

Now on the ice. He can score, but he is a bad hockey player who doesn't want to improve it in the AHL. He physically cannot keep the puck, instead relying on time and space and someone getting the puck to him to score. He is terrible defensively but has been improving there, but has these really bad plays defensively that speaks to the immaturity there.

Overall, for once I hope our org grows a pair and tells this kid take your QO or get your agent to look into cheap flights overseas

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
IMO, he should have at least been used more on the PP last year. With that shot, it was kind of foolish of Keefe not to play him a little more there. Otherwise, there isn't much to beef about.

I think he is a NHL player, but his value is pretty much at it's lowest, and we aren't going to get much value for him. I would rather not trade him for nothing now... if you think you are worth something, prove it, up your value, and we can trade you for something valuable later. If not, rot.

Just rubs me the wrong way that an unestablished 15 goal scorer can get their back up over PP utilization that early in their career. Lordy, what kind of diva behaviour would you expect once this guy is a 25 goal man?

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Other stars mold young players to take team friendly deals and buy into systems, our stars mold young players to be entitled and demand the world. He basically speed ran the core4s careers without doing anything, but it's the example they all set asking for max dollar/sitting out and doing f*** all in the playoffs, no surprise really.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Why should the Leafs lose a trade for him? He can go and play in Europe or Russia if he hates being a Leaf that bad. Otherwise the correct thing to do is to take a 1 year deal, go to camp, win a spot in the top 9, and try to get a brand new coaching staff to believe in you.

He thinks he deserves not just an NHL spot but a prime spot and minutes? Why? What has he done? He is a 2nd round pick not a top 10 pick. He hasn't played more than 60 games in the AHL not like he has been locked down there. He has more NHL games than AHL games since he turned 20.

Now on the ice. He can score, but he is a bad hockey player who doesn't want to improve it in the AHL. He physically cannot keep the puck, instead relying on time and space and someone getting the puck to him to score. He is terrible defensively but has been improving there, but has these really bad plays defensively that speaks to the immaturity there.

Overall, for once I hope our org grows a pair and tells this kid take your QO or get your agent to look into cheap flights overseas

They should be able to get the value of a 2nd. rounder for him.

I say value of a 2nd. rounder, not necessarily a 2nd. round pick.

There could be some players who have that value that other teams would be okay moving.

The reason I say they should move him is you want all the players pulling in the same direction, not a few or one not interested in doing so.

Many cite the VGK approach to asset management, they'd have no hesitation to move out someone not aligned with their goals.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

There could be some players who have that value that other teams would be okay moving.

The reason I say they should move him is you want all the players pulling in the same direction, not a few or one not interested in doing so.

Many cite the VGK approach to asset management, they'd have no hesitation to move out someone not aligned with their goals.

Robertson would be man alone on Robertson Island and not involved in ruining the chemistry of the team.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
He got scratched in game 7 for Noah Gregor who the Leafs didn’t even qualify. McMann got a contract offer before he did, they picked Geno Malgin over him . I get why he’s pissed.

Reactions: rumman

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

VGK would have forced a Tavares or Marner trade long ago and if they traded Robertson it would be for an upgrade on the roster not a draft pick

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Other stars mold young players to take team friendly deals and buy into systems, our stars mold young players to be entitled and demand the world. He basically speed ran the core4s careers without doing anything, but it's the example they all set asking for max dollar/sitting out and doing f*** all in the playoffs, no surprise really.

It was bad enough when Sandin was making waves having done nothing, but Robertson takes the cake.

Reactions: NVious

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
He got scratched in game 7 for Noah Gregor who the Leafs didn’t even qualify. McMann got a contract offer before he did, they picked Geno Malgin over him . I get why he’s pissed.

All of those players roles are totally different than one of Robertsson

McMann has proven he can play up and down the line up without being a liability. Brings size and good work along the boards.
Also McMann was going to be an UFA, we had to lock him in right away

Gregor has speed and was extremely physical in the games he played. He doesn't have anythign else, but a typical 4th liner. He really sucks though. But he has a predefined role

Rob cannot play in 4th line. He wasn't very effective in other bottm 6 lines. The fact he was given 6 games to score goals and he didn't, which one thing he's supposed to be good at it, speaks volume

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Since he first came up in 2020, there haven’t been too many times when he was a) healthy and b) everyone was clamouring for him to be in the lineup over some generic plug.

He’s not nearly good enough for a stable top 6 job, and he can’t handle bottom 6 duties without severely compromising the effectiveness of checking and defensive responsibility.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010

McMann has proven he can play up and down the line up without being a liability. Brings size and good work along the boards.

Gregor has speed and was extremely physical in the games he played. He doesn't have anythign else, but a typical 4th liner. He really sucks though. But he has a predefined role

Rob cannot play in 4th line. He wasn't very effective in other bottm 6 lines. The fact he was given 6 games to score goals and he didn't, which one thing he's supposed to be good at it, speaks volume
You either believe in the player or you don’t . I provided examples why Robertson deserved to be pissed. He had more scoring chances in the games he played than Gregor did.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
There's a lot of good points here.

It seems like ages ago, but Robertson scored a regular season goal with a big booming shot. I can't think of much else though.

The problem with Robo is that he's never had a proper high in his career for TOR to sell high on him.

I don't really recall him being a standout in the AHL. I can't for the life of me figure out how he got 11 points in 9 games for the Marlies.

What is his potential? 10 more playoff games with 1 goal?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I didn't say trade him for a draft pick, I said get 2nd. round value for him.

Get a player worth a 2nd. round pick for him.

That is probably the best possible scenario for the team but they would still badly lose that trade long term is my guess. Sick of always being on the wrong side of those deals

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That is probably the best possible scenario for the team but they would still badly lose that trade long term is my guess. Sick of always being on the wrong side of those deals

Mavrik Bourque ...

Some will say too much for Robertson, but Robertson has been PPG player in AHL since he was about 20 years old. Probably been too good for AHL.

For as good as Stankoven was, Bourque was even more impressive. After a solid rookie campaign in 2022-23, he blew the doors open with 26 goals, 51 assists and 77 points in 71 games to lead the AHL in scoring and take home MVP honors. Bourque made his NHL debut, too, and now has nothing left to prove in the minors. A late first-rounder in 2020, Bourque finished his QMJHL career two years ago producing at a wild rate and hasn’t slowed down since turning pro. That momentum and confidence in himself is going to take him far, and while he might end up being a third-liner with this current group, I feel like they’ll easily be able to put him in anywhere and get production.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
The frail manlet doesn't want to be here, I say we appease him and send him to a hockey mecca like Seattle or Utah...enjoy.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Mavrik Bourque ...

Some will say too much for Robertson, but Robertson has been PPG player in AHL since he was about 19 years old.

There will be no trade. They'll keep Robertsson, long season, players are going to get hurt, someone will need to play PP and provide some depth

For all the players who actually asks for a trade, only handful gets their way. He just needs to grow up a bit, wait his chances. He needs to continue to refine his game a bit. Not just skate around like he's being chased by Bees

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Mavrik Bourque ...

Some will say too much for Robertson, but Robertson has been PPG player in AHL since he was about 20 years old. Probably been too good for AHL.

For as good as Stankoven was, Bourque was even more impressive. After a solid rookie campaign in 2022-23, he blew the doors open with 26 goals, 51 assists and 77 points in 71 games to lead the AHL in scoring and take home MVP honors. Bourque made his NHL debut, too, and now has nothing left to prove in the minors. A late first-rounder in 2020, Bourque finished his QMJHL career two years ago producing at a wild rate and hasn’t slowed down since turning pro. That momentum and confidence in himself is going to take him far, and while he might end up being a third-liner with this current group, I feel like they’ll easily be able to put him in anywhere and get production.

Is there any indication that Bourque isn't happy with Dallas, or Dallas with him? Why would they move him?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
There will be no trade. They'll keep Robertsson, long season, players are going to get hurt, someone will need to play PP and provide some depth

For all the players who actually asks for a trade, only handful gets their way. He just needs to grow up a bit, wait his chances. He needs to continue to refine his game a bit. Not just skate around like he's being chased by Bees
Great description

Probably correct, unless he's "part of" a deal for something of need.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

If McMann were heathy he would’ve and should’ve been in the playoff lineup over Robertson. Unfortunately life sucks and his was one of many ridiculous injuries we were cursed with leading up to and in that series.

Gregor sucks and keeping him in over Robertson was dumb. Keefe broke up Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok so he could play Jarnkrok with Matthews and Holmberg and he erroneously thought Gregor could do as good a job as Jarny on a shutdown line. It predictably bit him and us in the ass though as Gregor was useless and had a giveaway on the lead up to Boston’s tying goal and Jarnkrok did nothing offensively with Auston.

Robertson should’ve been on that line with Matthews and Holmberg to create a sheltered, skilled scoring line and left D-K-J alone to continue playing excellent defensively. Instead one of our most effective lines is broken up because Keefe is a moron and can’t help but make stupid last minute lineup decisions and has a predisposed bias against non-vets and non-stars. And an obsession with “safe” style defensive hockey which is what has been a big reason as to why this team from being able to score in the postseason.

As far as Robertson not producing, the guy was playing with either another rookie in Holmberg and Jarnkrok whose offence disappears in the playoffs or he was on line 4 with Kampf and Reaves. Hardly a conducive environment for a rookie in his first real playoff series to show out.

Reactions: fahad203

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Who is everyone else? They've basically squeezed everyone but the core. And of the core, none of them got paid before they proved themselves. Matthews was already a 40 goal scorer, Marner had 90 points, Tavares had higher offers elsewhere as a top UFA.

Bad narrative is bad.

They didn't squeeze anyone. There's the guys that got overpaid, and the guys that left because all the money was gone. It's 2024 and we're still going to pretend they didn't overpay. Luckily for those of us who live in reality, the proof is in the pudding. You fanboys should join us here on Earth.

Reactions: IPS

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They wouldn't unless they thought Robertson brought them something they wanted.

Would apply to 31 other teams in the league. Right?

Fair enough. Bourque would be a great target for us, but I can't see Dallas being at all interested in moving him, and I can't see them being all that interested in Robertson. The value between these two really shouldn't be close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad