Player Discussion Nick Jensen (D)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Nice bounce back game

I was a bit worried after the Tampa game, 34 y/o is an age you're at risk of a steep decline. David Savard is 34 and looks to be taking a dive right now.

Oduya also took a nose dive around that age (35 actually) despite playing 24:45 per game on the Stanley Cup champs at 33 y/o

The NHL is a hard league, it can change really fast for any player

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
When old-ish players have a steep decline, it's usually because they were average to below-average skaters that lost speed and mobility and became glacially slow and can't keep up anymore. Heatley, Cheechoo, Redden (Rangers), etc. for Sens examples.

Jensen is a fast skater for a defensemen, so he has to lose a lot more speed / mobility than most guys to become useless. I think having him for 2 years is the perfect amount of time.

Edit: what we need from Jensen is for him to be an average or even a little below-average NHL defenseman, which would make a serviceable #4. So far so good.

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
He had an excellent game against Utah. Doesn't change the fact that he wasn't great in the first 5 games, and, sometimes, was downright shit. However, it's still very early in the season so hopefully he starts getting even in the good game-bad game ledger.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
When old-ish players have a steep decline, it's usually because they were average to below-average skaters that lost speed and mobility and became glacially slow and can't keep up anymore. Heatley, Cheechoo, Redden (Rangers), etc. for Sens examples.

Jensen is a fast skater for a defensemen, so he has to lose a lot more speed / mobility than most guys to become useless. I think having him for 2 years is the perfect amount of time.

Edit: what we need from Jensen is for him to be an average or even a little below-average NHL defenseman, which would make a serviceable #4. So far so good.
100% except he is more than just a fast skater, he is an incredibly fluid skater. I would put him as one of the best skaters on the team right now.

That makes a big deference in career longevity, as you said. Evidently the comparisons to average 34 year old stay at home D men were misplaced when people were criticizing the move.

Reactions: SensontheRush

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
He had an excellent game against Utah. Doesn't change the fact that he wasn't great in the first 5 games, and, sometimes, was downright shit. However, it's still very early in the season so hopefully he starts getting even in the good game-bad game ledger.
What games were you watching? He has been fine.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
He's never been shit at any point. He's been pretty solid all season so far. Him and Chabot are the only pairing on the team that are playing with a new partner, that's going to take some time for them to learn each other's games. A few mistakes are bound to happen to start.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

He's been much closer to excellent than shit in almost every game, lol.

Last game he was spectacular.

Think of it this way, Chabot hasn't been under heat last 2-3 games since Jensen been paired with him. It isn't a coincidence, Jensen is a very calming presence with great defense and skating.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Nice bounce back game

I was a bit worried after the Tampa game, 34 y/o is an age you're at risk of a steep decline. David Savard is 34 and looks to be taking a dive right now.

Oduya also took a nose dive around that age (35 actually) despite playing 24:45 per game on the Stanley Cup champs at 33 y/o

Jensen is still a great skater though. I feel like that alone could prolong a decent career as a defensive d-man. He was really known for his physicality either.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He was amazing last game. What a first period.
He’s been good and solid like I was expecting but that was offensive awareness and skill I didn’t know he could bring.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Nice bounce back game

Yes, losing just a fraction of a second in speed or acceleration could make a player vulnerable to being beat or caught or hit.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The biggest strength with Jensen is his smarts. Even if he loses his speed, he can still be an effective bottom pairing dman off of smarts alone.
He seems to be playing a very solid defensive game. I like how he sometimes charges a player who has the puck near the blue line and pushes him and the puck outside the D zone. Our other D almost never do that.

I used to like the way Jason Smith used straight-arming to knock opposing forwards off kilter and down. I have not seen any of our D do that either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad