Player Discussion Nick Jensen (D)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Nice bounce back game

I was a bit worried after the Tampa game, 34 y/o is an age you're at risk of a steep decline. David Savard is 34 and looks to be taking a dive right now.

Oduya also took a nose dive around that age (35 actually) despite playing 24:45 per game on the Stanley Cup champs at 33 y/o

The NHL is a hard league, it can change really fast for any player

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
When old-ish players have a steep decline, it's usually because they were average to below-average skaters that lost speed and mobility and became glacially slow and can't keep up anymore. Heatley, Cheechoo, Redden (Rangers), etc. for Sens examples.

Jensen is a fast skater for a defensemen, so he has to lose a lot more speed / mobility than most guys to become useless. I think having him for 2 years is the perfect amount of time.

Edit: what we need from Jensen is for him to be an average or even a little below-average NHL defenseman, which would make a serviceable #4. So far so good.

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
He had an excellent game against Utah. Doesn't change the fact that he wasn't great in the first 5 games, and, sometimes, was downright shit. However, it's still very early in the season so hopefully he starts getting even in the good game-bad game ledger.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
When old-ish players have a steep decline, it's usually because they were average to below-average skaters that lost speed and mobility and became glacially slow and can't keep up anymore. Heatley, Cheechoo, Redden (Rangers), etc. for Sens examples.

Jensen is a fast skater for a defensemen, so he has to lose a lot more speed / mobility than most guys to become useless. I think having him for 2 years is the perfect amount of time.

Edit: what we need from Jensen is for him to be an average or even a little below-average NHL defenseman, which would make a serviceable #4. So far so good.
100% except he is more than just a fast skater, he is an incredibly fluid skater. I would put him as one of the best skaters on the team right now.

That makes a big deference in career longevity, as you said. Evidently the comparisons to average 34 year old stay at home D men were misplaced when people were criticizing the move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad