Denver Post: Nichushkin involved in incident that prompted police/medical response

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We live in such a weird world. :laugh:

Personally, I don't care a lick about Nuke partying with hookers and having a 'good' time. I know the majority of NHLers are not angels and a team filled with angels is simply not a great team. It is an ugly side of sports, but a reality. If you suspended players for doing this, you'd have a hard time filling out a team on a nightly basis. In that regard, this is a no big deal thing. Thus I'd expect zero discipline from the NHL and legally, it is hard to get in major trouble as an athlete for these actions.

Where this issue gets crappy is that it happened on a game day and the issue has been so prevalent that the team sent Nuke away during a playoff series. The amount of people just willing to sweep that under as a nothing burger and even to the extent Nuke deserves an apology is just mind boggling to me. Nuke did something very wrong for the team to handle it like this... he did it during the most important time of the season. Now we may have a reason as to why... but that doesn't change that his actions directly had a negative impact on his team.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

Personally, I don't care a lick about Nuke partying with hookers and having a 'good' time. I know the majority of NHLers are not angels and a team filled with angels is simply not a great team. It is an ugly side of sports, but a reality. If you suspended players for doing this, you'd have a hard time filling out a team on a nightly basis. In that regard, this is a no big deal thing. Thus I'd expect zero discipline from the NHL and legally, it is hard to get in major trouble as an athlete for these actions.

Where this issue gets crappy is that it happened on a game day and the issue has been so prevalent that the team sent Nuke away during a playoff series. The amount of people just willing to sweep that under as a nothing burger and even to the extent Nuke deserves an apology is just mind boggling to me. Nuke did something very wrong for the team to handle it like this... he did it during the most important time of the season. Now we may have a reason as to why... but that doesn't change that his actions directly had a negative impact on his team.

I agree with you there. Him being a sketchy human seems like it's mostly a pro-athlete thing. That's something he'll have to figure out with those around him being affected by that. Him doing it when he was an integral part of the team, and a team that was already beat up and lacking capable guys, that's real shitty from a professional standpoint. Hopefully he has taken this time to get his head on straight, and he makes his amends with the team by playing like he showed he could this year, but on a more consistent basis.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
The girl wasn't even in his room.

It's literally on the bodycam footage. Jesus... Do you purposely only post incorrect things on here or does it come naturally?

"He had a girl in his room,” Changstrom tells the Seattle Police officer in the hotel lobby in the video."

“We were trying to get her out of the room, and she was very clearly intoxicated,” Changstrom later tells the officer."

Stop contributing to online disinformation through your own ignorance.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
It's literally on the bodycam footage. Jesus... Do you purposely only post incorrect things on here or does it come naturally?

"He had a girl in his room,” Changstrom tells the Seattle Police officer in the hotel lobby in the video."

“We were trying to get her out of the room, and she was very clearly intoxicated,” Changstrom later tells the officer."

Stop contributing to online disinformation through your own ignorance.
Gandler said so lol

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Yep, this. Personally I'm pretty irritated with the guy. He hurt the team at the worst possible time, and though it appears his judgment might be compromised, that's not a blanket excuse.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I read your one post, which was "this is purely specualtion"...blah blah blah. That came directly after another that said the same thing.

Sorry I don't have time to go through the whole thread, it was just funny and that was why I posted the comic that it sort of reminded me of.

You took it very, very seriously for whatever reason, and yeah I guess I don't have as much time to waste on here as you. I'll leave you to your very, very serious discussion here, have a great day.

Go Nuggets!

No problem. Guess you were just assigned this itinerary for the weekend.

1) Stop by HF and make your second post of the year
2) Read half of one sentence in one post out of many and incorrectly assume what they think
3) Chastise others for speculating that it sounded related to painkillers
4) Post a cartoon about racism
5) Come back to say I told you so about someone being wrong, when they were literally proven right
6) Completely contradict yourself and say you think Val’s issue could be related to painkillers
7) Instead of toning down the snarky posts, start gaslighting and spinning what you actually said

Hell of a contribution. Nice work.

Avaholics Anonymous

Sep 16, 2015
Columbus, OH
No problem. Guess you were just assigned this itinerary for the weekend.

1) Stop by HF and make your second post of the year
2) Read half of one sentence in one post out of many and incorrectly assume what they think
3) Chastise others for speculating that it sounded related to painkillers
4) Post a cartoon about racism
5) Come back to say I told you so about someone being wrong, when they were literally proven right
6) Completely contradict yourself and say you think Val’s issue could be related to painkillers
7) Instead of toning down the snarky posts, start gaslighting and spinning what you actually said

Hell of a contribution. Nice work.
I don't assume he has an addiction, but if so I do hope he gets the help he needs. The players' well-being should always come before a hockey game.

I generally stick to the main boards because HFAvs land is full of sky-is-always-falling types.

Have a good one bud!

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

I agree with ya (and think it’s nuts as a non-pro athlete). Players on drugs though and sleeping around on the road seems somewhat common place. It doesn’t shock me, and it actually seems more common in hockey than other sports. Reminds me of Svatos unfortunately - I hope that’s not where Nuke is headed.

Reactions: henchman21

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The amount of white knighting is getting out of hand

We're getting dangerously close to Nichushkin being a poor victim in this story for taking drugs, missing morning skate, hiring a prostitute and abandoning the team during the playoffs.

What exactly do you want to have happen if he did those things? Nobody is condoning his behavior, but there's far worse things athletes have done, and half the league has done one or the other.

I don't think it's fair to keep saying he "abandoned the team" either. I doubt he just went awol. The most likely explanation is he left at the request of the team, because they're trying to get him help.

The Avs actually did way more than most teams would have. They tried to help both people at the expense of team success. The only reason we know about this is because the doctor wanted her to get medical attention, which involved calling 911, and then the team probably asked Val to leave to get help, both of which tipped off the press.

Most teams would have just thrown her in a cab and you'd never have heard a peep about this. And probably have countless times over the years. That's why Daly is saying the Avs handled it appropriately.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What exactly do you want to have happen if he did those things? Nobody is condoning his behavior, but there's far worse things athletes have done, and half the league has done one or the other.

I don't think it's fair to keep saying he "abandoned the team" either. I doubt he just went awol. The most likely explanation is he left at the request of the team, because they're trying to get him help.

The Avs actually did way more than most teams would have. They tried to help both people at the expense of team success. The only reason we know about this is because the doctor wanted her to get medical attention, which involved calling 911, and then the team probably asked Val to leave to get help, both of which tipped off the press.

Most teams would have just thrown her in a cab and you'd never have heard a peep about this. And probably have countless times over the years. That's why Daly is saying the Avs handled it appropriately.
I mean he abandoned the team in a sense due to his actions. He messed up and was forced to be removed from the team. He may not have left the team himself but he let his teammates down a lot this post season.

In saying all that I do hope Nuke gets healthy physically, mentally because he's an integral part of this team.

Reactions: The Moops

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016

The AVS or team doctor first wanted to call an Uber/Taxi, too. Just for the records. The woman was just in a really bad shape or danger. So thank god the team doctor remembered his oath and did the right thing. Evern if this meant to blow up in the media and the AVS had to get Nuke out of there as fast as possible (and they did a good job on this one, really stealth move).

I agree with ya (and think it’s nuts as a non-pro athlete). Players on drugs though and sleeping around on the road seems somewhat common place. It doesn’t shock me, and it actually seems more common in hockey than other sports.

Doesn´t shock me either. I´m pretty sure the teams know about this too. And i´m pretty sure the/many wifes at home do too....

I don´t know if this is more common in hockey than other sports.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

This.

I'd wager both the organization and the locker room had had enough. No way was this a new thing. It just got to the point where it couldn't be swept under the rug anymore.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean he abandoned the team in a sense due to his actions. He messed up and was forced to be removed from the team. He may not have left the team himself but he let his teammates down a lot this post season.

In saying all that I do hope Nuke gets healthy physically, mentally because he's an integral part of this team.

That's fair, I just don't know what the people who are so upset, expect to happen?

There seems to be a fair amount of outrage that he's not being held more accountable, but nobody says what that should be. And I don't see a ton of difference between it happening during a game day and an off day. They're both bad and show signs of a real problem.

He f***ed up. He probably did it a lot this season. It hurt the team. His teammates are probably disappointed in him. He's probably pretty embarrassed, because he's so private, and all of this has gotten so public.

Now it's up to him to put in the work and address his problems. The team put the ball in his court, and are giving him a little tough love, while still trying to be supportive.

Seems like things are proceeding the way they should given the circumstances. Not sure why there needs to be more accountability, unless information comes out that suggest something worse happened.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
That's fair, I just don't know what the people who are so upset, expect to happen?

There seems to be a fair amount of outrage that he's not being held more accountable, but nobody says what that should be. And I don't see a ton of difference between it happening during a game day and an off day. They're both bad and show signs of a real problem.

He f***ed up. He probably did it a lot this season. It hurt the team. His teammates are probably disappointed in him. He's probably pretty embarrassed, because he's so private, and all of this has gotten so public.

Now it's up to him to put in the work and address his problems. The team put the ball in his court, and are giving him a little tough love, while still trying to be supportive.

Seems like things are proceeding the way they should given the circumstances. Not sure why there needs to be more accountability, unless information comes out that suggest something worse happened.
Honestly I'm just pissed that he screwed the team over. I wouldn't have cared if he was doing lines off of the hooker between periods, but his absence directly influenced our already shitty season from going as far as they could have (maybe at least WCF??)

Not much I can do about it other than being upset? He was my favorite player and now I'm going to have to find a new one. Similar situation to Kadri getting suspended in the Vegas series a few years back. I was livid and wanted him traded because he f***ed over the team. Ultimately I'm glad he wasn't and definitely redeemed himself. Hopefully Nuke can do the same.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Honestly I'm just pissed that he screwed the team over. I wouldn't have cared if he was doing lines off of the hooker between periods, but his absence directly influenced our already shitty season from going as far as they could have (maybe at least WCF??)

Not much I can do about it other than being upset? He was my favorite player and now I'm going to have to find a new one. Similar situation to Kadri getting suspended in the Vegas series a few years back. I was livid and wanted him traded because he f***ed over the team. Ultimately I'm glad he wasn't and definitely redeemed himself. Hopefully Nuke can do the same.

That seems totally fair.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

My feelings exactly.

Reactions: CobraAcesS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad