NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Just Basketball viewership sucks I guess, looking at the numbers.

It's akin to saying:

"Dallas is a soccer city.. in specific the metroplex. Barely see people playing football in the middle of the street anymore like they did 40-50 years ago but see a ton playing soccer at fields all over the city."

And that somehow, while being devoid of numbers relevant to a "TV ratings" thread, equaling proof of FC Dallas & MLS being more popular than the Cowboys & the NFL.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
It's akin to saying:

"Dallas is a soccer city.. in specific the metroplex. Barely see people playing football in the middle of the street anymore like they did 40-50 years ago but see a ton playing soccer at fields all over the city."

And that somehow, while being devoid of numbers relevant to a "TV ratings" thread, equaling proof of FC Dallas & MLS being more popular than the Cowboys & the NFL.
Nobody is saying that.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
It's akin to saying:

Those are exactly the type of posts I constantly snipe at. How difficult it is for some folks to use data in a data driven thread is almost comedically frustrating.

Reactions: Brodie and Reaser

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
While that may be true, the numbers suggest that unless the Raptors are playing, no one gives a shit about watching the NBA on tv in Canada

Precisely.

When the Raptors have gone on playoff runs, the numbers are sky high. Other than that, NBA games not featuring the Raptors usually do not attract much viewership outside the NBA finals. The same can be said for the Blue jays and MLB games.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
16 million viewers for a Raptors game.

So much for poor basketball ratings.

SORUCE: More record TV ratings as Toronto clinches 2019 NBA Championship
lol have you actually been reading this thread,
the numbers other than that lose out to some regional hockey numbers. You know what the “numbers” were about and referenced.

Everyone acknowledged they had a one and done year in playoff, no ones been disputing that.

Now comment on, (the ones posted in the thread, in reference to )
Someone posted NBA national numbers in Canada,
lose to hockey regional numbers a lot.

you’ll get owned by someone in this thread again.
And the even funnier part is you always come back with, I don’t believe those numbers,

Then rinse and repeat.
Maybe try a new schtick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
the kings drew 13.3 in LA vs NJ in gm 5 in the deciding game. They usually get like 0.6. But this was the deciding game. Does not mean LA is a hockey city. Canada getting 16 million for a raptors clinching game does not mean Canada loves basketball at all. Of course ppl will tune in for that in big #s.

Did the raptors even avg 200k per game this yr? not so sure. I know here in Quebec, the french canadians in general don't give a crap about NBA. they don't even talk about it ever during the season or even show 1 highlight of any game.

French canadians HATE basketball.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

Saturday’s Panthers-Oilers NHL Stanley Cup Final Game 4 averaged a 1.4 rating and 3.1 million viewers on ABC, per Nielsen fast-nationals — up 15% in ratings and 20% in viewership from Golden Knights-Panthers on TNT, TBS and truTV last year (1.2, 2.56M) but down 43% and 33% respectively from the previous Game 4 on ABC, Avalanche-Lightning in 2022 (2.4, 4.60M). All four games of the Panthers-Oilers series have increased double-digits over last year’s all-cable matchup. Compared to Avalanche-Lightning in ’22, viewership has declined for each and ratings have declined for all-but-one (Game 2).

The full Stanley Cup Final is averaging 3.1 million viewers, up 25% from the first four games last year, but down from 4.2 million in 2022. The ESPN/ABC portion of the Stanley Cup Playoffs is averaging 1.6 million viewers, up 38% from last year and up 10% from 2022.

The ESPN/ABC portion being up 10% even with the SCF down over a 1M from the Avs - Lightning series is very very good.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Toronto is a basketball city.. in specific the GTA. I barely see people playing road hockey anymore but I see a ton playing basketball
Are all your arguments going to be anecdotes? Not trying to gatekeep, but a genuine question, are there facts to your statement? Because more kids play futbol in Canada than hockey, but that doesn't mean it is more popular than hockey in the country.

Ha. Prescient.
Lol, wrecked.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Saturday’s Panthers-Oilers NHL Stanley Cup Final Game 4 averaged a 1.4 rating and 3.1 million viewers on ABC, per Nielsen fast-nationals — up 15% in ratings and 20% in viewership from Golden Knights-Panthers on TNT, TBS and truTV last year (1.2, 2.56M) but down 43% and 33% respectively from the previous Game 4 on ABC, Avalanche-Lightning in 2022 (2.4, 4.60M). All four games of the Panthers-Oilers series have increased double-digits over last year’s all-cable matchup. Compared to Avalanche-Lightning in ’22, viewership has declined for each and ratings have declined for all-but-one (Game 2).

The full Stanley Cup Final is averaging 3.1 million viewers, up 25% from the first four games last year, but down from 4.2 million in 2022. The ESPN/ABC portion of the Stanley Cup Playoffs is averaging 1.6 million viewers, up 38% from last year and up 10% from 2022.

The ESPN/ABC portion being up 10% even with the SCF down over a 1M from the Avs - Lightning series is very very good.
All of this makes sense...

2022: Two American teams on network telly (solid numbers)
2023: Two American teams on cable telly (affected by cable)
2024: One small market and one Canada team (affected by those factors)

I do think the worst aspect of any part of the NHL telly deal was not being able to get the Stanley Cup Finals on a network station concerning the TNT contract. BUT I also understand why TNT wanted it on their cable channel as it will drive more viewers towards it than ever before and will be the most watched game. I just think NHL didn't do enough on their end to get all the SCF games on network telly to "make it a big deal," once again, there was bad marketing on their side there.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Is there a way to find out the markets who are watching the SCF most?

For instance, I'm sure Florida is #1. But Buffalo and Pittsburgh always seem to be two markets tuning in.

We got the info last year the day after the SCF concluded (after Game 5.)

So presumably that's when we'd get the full report this year. It's always an if, though, with not as much information shared as in the past.

And yes, Buffalo and Pittsburgh are almost always in the Top-5 for local rating, but because they're smaller markets drop down the list on the raw total number of HHs list.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
All of this makes sense...

2022: Two American teams on network telly (solid numbers)
2023: Two American teams on cable telly (affected by cable)
2024: One small market and one Canada team (affected by those factors)

I do think the worst aspect of any part of the NHL telly deal was not being able to get the Stanley Cup Finals on a network station concerning the TNT contract. BUT I also understand why TNT wanted it on their cable channel as it will drive more viewers towards it than ever before and will be the most watched game. I just think NHL didn't do enough on their end to get all the SCF games on network telly to "make it a big deal," once again, there was bad marketing on their side there.

The reason TNT has SCF three times in this TV deal is because they got the B package. Whoever won the B package was getting 3 SCF regardless. NHL was hoping that either NBC or FOX would get it. TNT getting surprised everybody. In the next media rights deal, I expect SCF to be on OTA every year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The reason TNT has SCF three times in this TV deal is because they got the B package. Whoever won the B package was getting 3 SCF regardless. NHL was hoping that either NBC or FOX would get it. TNT getting surprised everybody. In the next media rights deal, I expect SCF to be on OTA every year.
I get it that this was the "B Package," but that doesn't excuse the NHL from not having every single Final on network television. If they want to hype the "The Stanley Cup Final" as much as the Super Bowl is known globally, you gotta have it where most eyeballs can see it. I do think the SCF is unique and is a pretty big event considering the trophy. Someone here mentioned that NCAA March Madness is contracted with TNT, but the Final is on CBS's local network. The NHL needs this for the next deal.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4