NHL.TV / Center Ice / ESPN+ Discussion - Part IV [See the warning in OP]

kaczor

Jul 3, 2005
NZ
I'd love to know what AU/NZ people are doing for their hockey fix.

After enjoying NHL.tv for a number of years, I am not sure what I'll do this year. I have no interest to pay $60/month for SKY Sports just to watch NHL (that is 3x what NHL.tv cost me last year).

If NHL.tv gets their shit together by next week, I suppose vpn to Japan or Germany is an option.
(I hope I am allowed to say this here)

Last edited:

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
flyers-isles on sn now premium .

the commercials , pregame , intermission crisp and clear

the game itself looked like it was in standard definition

siTHEmon

Oct 5, 2022
The 7th of October is really close. I got the subscribtion-reminder mail by nhl.tv but its still not possible. Whats going on.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
No, they absolutely should not. It's bad enough that those of us outside of NA can't watch the games live, but all the spoilers they already add. Why is there even a time bar? As the third period winds down I can see by the time bar whether or not the game is going to go into OT in the waning seconds. I want to be surprised. It's terribly designed for those who can't watch live. If they do add something like that, they need to have a way to toggle everything off for those who hate spoilers.
I literally go out of my way to avoid seeing the time bar once an important game hits the 3rd period, so I can at least be a little bit surprised when the game either ends or goes to OT.

The thing that really ruined it for me is it would routinely update the goal scorers below the player before the goals had actually been scored in the game. Since only three were visible, I'd only really be able to fully enjoy games where more than three goals were scored, unless I kept the game full screen for the entire thing (rare I have time to sit down and watch a whole game through though without it freezing and needing to be refreshed a least once).

Man, I'm oscillating between hoping for a genuinely improved player, and worried that I won't be able to watch hockey at all through legitimate means.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I literally go out of my way to avoid seeing the time bar once an important game hits the 3rd period, so I can at least be a little bit surprised when the game either ends or goes to OT.

The thing that really ruined it for me is it would routinely update the goal scorers below the player before the goals had actually been scored in the game. Since only three were visible, I'd only really be able to fully enjoy games where more than three goals were scored, unless I kept the game full screen for the entire thing (rare I have time to sit down and watch a whole game through though without it freezing and needing to be refreshed a least once).

Man, I'm oscillating between hoping for a genuinely improved player, and worried that I won't be able to watch hockey at all through legitimate means.
I can sit down and watch a full game on Android TV and not have to worry about what you do, but still I have to fast forward through commercials and periods and can't avoid the time bar then. I mean, I'm not going to watch all that stuff just to avoid spoilers, but it's still infuriating. You would think this day and age they'd have ways to provide a spoiler free option. I even tried using it on Kodi with a mod to remove the spoilers but couldn't get it to work. I send feedback once a year begging for these features, but they fall on deaf ears. NHL was the last league to even come out with an Android TV app. I don't understand why it feels so amateurish at times for a league that still generates lots of money. They have NBA, NFL and MLB stores here in Korea, despite only the MLB having any kind of real Korean presence. People buy the stuff anyway. No NHL store though....

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
I'd like to know the answer for this as well. It really seems they've kicked Australians to curb here and don't give a crap at all out making things easier and expanding the audience. From what I'm understanding they've gone backward 10-15 years.

As a Canadian living here, I'm very disappointed. I guess Kayo is the best option? with 2-3 games a week only? Talking with family and friends in Canada, they are also none too pleased with the current status Quo.

I'd love to know what AU/NZ people are doing for their hockey fix.
Espn.com.au then you log in with your Foxtel or Fetch subscription and you get the full schedule with home and away feeds for every game. The Espn site is pretty average though, I have a Foxtel subscription and I'll still ilegally stream it to get a NHL.TV feed with all the features I want and locked at 720p

• Love
Reactions: Filppula

CgyfanCZ

Oct 2, 2013
Czech republic
NHL.tv site is on. Unable to pay though. Says Payment rejected. So far the site looks like a mess, not able to play any highlight etc. /always: "This content is not available to you based on your current location"/ message. Mess, mess, mess all around

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
I paid with Paypal, that worked without a problem. Older games seem not be to be there unfortunately. What I really like is the team page of the favorite team, it's awesome to have all Devils games in one place.

Last edited:

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Seeing that they've finally put up the subscription page for NHL.TV. $99USD it looks like, which I believe is the same as last season. Can anyone confirm it's the same app as last year? Very tempted to get in here as this is still, by far, the best service for watching out of market games.

MrUndrsteer

Sep 26, 2022
I'm in the UK and can't see anything yet, can you share the link to the page you're visiting...I'm going to NHL.tv and I'm having the same message as the last couple of weeks

justPlay

(>‿◠)✌
Jan 10, 2009
So where's the new standalone app?

Stream games live and on-demand on your computer, phone, tablet and connected TV. A new NHL.TV app will be available on iOS and Android phones and tablets, Amazon Fire TV and Android TV. AirPlay and Chromecast streaming will also be supported.
Are they dropping Apple TV support?

I'm in the UK and can't see anything yet, can you share the link to the page you're visiting...I'm going to NHL.tv and I'm having the same message as the last couple of weeks
Try HOME

Last edited:
Reactions: Faterson

justPlay

(>‿◠)✌
Jan 10, 2009
Seeing that they've finally put up the subscription page for NHL.TV. $99USD it looks like, which I believe is the same as last season. Can anyone confirm it's the same app as last year? Very tempted to get in here as this is still, by far, the best service for watching out of market games.
I was charged 99.99 USD for the sub and 8 USD handling fee.

justPlay

(>‿◠)✌
Jan 10, 2009
I paid with Paypal, that worked without a problem. Older games seem not be to be there unfortunately. What I really like is the team page of the favorite team, it's awesome to have all Devils games in one place.
It's a shame you can't access older games. I'd expect at the very least the full previous season.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
It's a shame you can't access older games. I'd expect at the very least the full previous season.
To be honest, as a Devils fan I really have no desire to watch last seasons games again. ;-) I think the price of 100 Dollars for a whole season is absolutely far. I was expecting a huge jump in price since that seems to be the thing these days, so I am very pleased it stayed the same.

Btw, they say on their site about blackouts: "NHL.TV is only available in certain countries and blackouts are always enforced based on the IP address from which you are accessing the stream."
Which means a VPN should again solve the issue.

• Love
Reactions: Faterson

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I was charged 99.99 USD for the sub and 8 USD handling fee.
No extra VAT or taxes? What country are you in?

Btw, they say on their site about blackouts: "NHL.TV is only available in certain countries and blackouts are always enforced based on the IP address from which you are accessing the stream."
Which means a VPN should again solve the issue.
Can you confirm this for computer and app?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Good of them to leave it right until the last minute to fix this. Starting to get a bit concerned that they won't offer anything for UK/non-US Canada fans

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Last season for computer and app yes. This year... we have to wait for a game with a blackout. But I am pretty certain it will work again.

When you watched last season, did you have to keep the VPN on for the entire game or could you turn it off after you started the NHL app?

kaczor

Jul 3, 2005
NZ
ok, managed to finally access the subscription page (vpn) and pay via paypal
Here is hoping for a useable vpn link for the games. I have used the Kodi plugin in the past and it was fantastic. Hope it is still functional

yamel

Feb 4, 2017
Anybody else getting only a monthly subscription option and no yearly subscription?
I'm located in Japan.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
Just signed up. The desktop variant looks clean, let's hope the app has good spoilerfree functions.

Concerning the blackouts in Europe/Germany/Austria, the help article states this:
"For international customers of NHL.TV, blackout restrictions may apply to games that appear on an NHL partner network in your viewing area based on the IP address from which you are accessing the service. In the 2022-23 season, games broadcast by SKY in Austria and Germany will be blacked out live in NHL.TV. The on-demand replay will be made available shortly upon completion of the live broadcast"

Do I understand this correctly: the live feed of SKY games get blacked out (as expected), but the on-demand version of the games get made available quickly after completion even when the game got broadcasted originally on SKY?

That would make a big difference, since you had to wait 48 hours to watch those on-demand games in the last year...

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
When you watched last season, did you have to keep the VPN on for the entire game or could you turn it off after you started the NHL app?
I left it on and I can't say what would've happened had I switched it off. I use Surfshark and it always works great and fast.

Reactions: dssource

justPlay

(>‿◠)✌
Jan 10, 2009
No extra VAT or taxes? What country are you in?

Can you confirm this for computer and app?
Czech Republic. The amounts are including a 21% VAT.

Attachments

• 4F0945BA-E5A9-4C3C-9183-F5DCDCE538BD.jpeg
    4F0945BA-E5A9-4C3C-9183-F5DCDCE538BD.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad