NHL.TV / Center Ice / ESPN+ Discussion - Part IV [See the warning in OP]

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Yep, Basically Rogers Killed off NHL Live and is now pushing Sportsnet Now Premium but in reality what you now need is:

NHL Game Center
Sportsnet
TSN

They're pushing people back to cable
I've felt that push unfortunately.... but keep looking in here to see if there's other options for me.

Was very interested in "moving" so I could get ESPN+ ...but still skeptical that I won't get every Leafs game.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
There's a "favorite" option that you can select for teams and leagues - that as far as I can tell doesn't even do anything at all :help:

Regarding game availability, I seem to remember with previous years of NHL Live that not all preseason games were available for whatever reason. I assume everything will be there once the regular season starts. (But with Sportsnet, who knows)
Yeah, I've set up the app on my phone with my "favorites", but it doesn't seem to matter when I open it up with Chromecast on my home cinema. By the way, the image and sound are not "fan"tastic, to say the least. :thumbd:

About game availability, I'll wait until the regular season starts to see how they managed this.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Anyone use nhl Centre Ice through Bell?
Do I have the option to pick what teams broadcast I want to watch?
Can I watch games delayed? Sometimes I work late/have to walk my dog and miss the start so like to start from the beginning the fast forward commercials till I’m caught up
Or is it basically, live cable hockey? I assume there’s no app for it and just on certain channels

I’m on bell fibe tv for what it’s worth & just use that through an Apple TV box, so can’t pvr anything

I’ve been an nhl live guy the past bunch of years and hate this SN now thing. What a botched experiment by them. Been spamming their Twitter all day haha

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Well we can blame Sportsnet for not showing all games, no choice of feeds, poor quality streams and hard to navigate app, not working with Roku anymore etc. but this falls on the NHL who had a decent service and decided to let Sporstnet sell this junk for the same price. The NHL clearly has bad employees working for them to allow this to happen to the fans. And these fans are the real core fans who pay up year after year and support this league. It's a major slap in the face to the fans of this league to allow this to happen. Clearly the league is about money and not the fan experience. Just brutal!

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Yep, dito. The current situation makes the NHL look like a bush league. Pretty unprofessional to give your loyal fans of the game no infos at all. Management has to change.
I saw through Reddit that someone got an answer that preseason games won't be available but it will be good to go for opening night and business as usual. Hope it proves to be the case.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Business as usual... but it's probably too much to hope for to say price as usual!

(Actually, a price hike is guaranteed for those of us in Europe – the euro having taken a severe plunge against the dollar compared to a year ago, so that everything purchased from America is a lot more expensive for us these days.)

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Business as usual... but it's probably too much to hope for to say price as usual!

(Actually, a price hike is guaranteed for those of us in Europe – the euro having taken a severe plunge against the dollar compared to a year ago, so that everything purchased from America is a lot more expensive for us these days.)
Well, they will probably keep it the same in US dollars and it will just be a price hike for the conversion. The subscription charged me $19.99 US dollars, so with the way the Korean Won is vs. the US Dollar, it's definitely gonna be more expensive. But an actual price raise didn't happen.

Edit: I was actually charged 19,000 won, so the price has not increased...except as you see blow it's now been refunded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legionnaire

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Yeah, I've set up the app on my phone with my "favorites", but it doesn't seem to matter when I open it up with Chromecast on my home cinema. By the way, the image and sound are not "fan"tastic, to say the least. :thumbd:

About game availability, I'll wait until the regular season starts to see how they managed this.
I had bell center ice through satellite tv for probably 20+ years. I had an external hard drive attached to record the games of interest. They never offered a home and away feeds and the biggest irk was when SN1 or SN360 suddenly picked up an islander game out of the blue which was considered '' nationally televised'' center ice would not offer it because they'd want me to increase my sport pkg to include sn 1 and sn 360. My sport pkg was basic so I just had tsn 1-2 and SN-Ontario.

so unless bell fibe offers 2 feeds and the ability to watch games later on you might be better off with sn premium.

as of now, there's a 50-50 chance I go back to sat tv for some things next year(center ice with external hard drive)while trimming down some streaming pkgs like sn now premium and river tv.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legionnaire

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
Now I am back in worried mode. My credit card was just refunded the subscription amount, and the subscription has been canceled. I am back to thinking NHL.TV will be no more...
Wow, thanks for the info. Really wonder why the NHL is doing this to us... :help:

MrUndrsteer

Sep 26, 2022
To anybody in the UK ...premier sports currently have an offer of 50% off...ending tomorrow. But it appears to be only for the games they show only...it's not the full offering of nhltv, and there's no mention of the new Viaplay streaming deal either, but may be of interest to some of you. I'm personally going to hang it out and wait on nhltv/viaplays offering.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
I just now got this email:

Dear NHL.TV Subscriber,
The wait is almost over! The regular season begins on October 7, 2022 and NHL.TV will be back to bring you all the best matchups, goals, hits, overtimes, and shootouts you could ask for. With a newly refreshed video player and standalone NHL.TV app you never have to miss a moment.
Please note that we will not be automatically renewing your subscription this season. Instead, we will let you know when the new product is available for purchase and invite you to check it out at that time.
Please visit our Help Center for any questions about NHL.TV.
Enjoy the season!
Sincerely,

NHL.TV

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I got the same email. "a newly refreshed video player" gives me a slim hope that the player will automatically skip commercial breaks when watching a non-live game. I know it's possible, because the TSN Games on Demand player has been doing it for years.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I just now got this email:

Dear NHL.TV Subscriber,
The wait is almost over! The regular season begins on October 7, 2022 and NHL.TV will be back to bring you all the best matchups, goals, hits, overtimes, and shootouts you could ask for. With a newly refreshed video player and standalone NHL.TV app you never have to miss a moment.
Please note that we will not be automatically renewing your subscription this season. Instead, we will let you know when the new product is available for purchase and invite you to check it out at that time.
Please visit our Help Center for any questions about NHL.TV.
Enjoy the season!
Sincerely,

NHL.TV
I didn't get this email. Where are you located?

I'd prefer they don't make any changes to nhl.tv. Last year's product still beats out every other option in all other countries, by a fair margin. My fear is that any attempt at improvement actually makes it worse.

• Love
Reactions: Faterson

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
I didn't get this email. Where are you located?

I'd prefer they don't make any changes to nhl.tv. Last year's product still beats out every other option in all other countries, by a fair margin. My fear is that any attempt at improvement actually makes it worse.
Got the same email. I live in Germany

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad