NHL to Atlanta odds just increased significantly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Forsyth County Commisoner said on the news the entire development is contingent on getting an NHL team. “All or nothing”. This was when they announced the funding

The entire development is contingent on it, or the entire Forsyth County funding for the Arena is contingent on it?

Because everything i've read suggests the latter. Which is completely different.

Everything i've seen looks like all that happened, was they voted to sign a non-binding MOU with the developers, that would provide a huge bundle of taxpayer subsidy money to build an NHL Arena as part of the project, if, and only if they're able to concretely deliver a guarantee of an NHL Franchise for the project.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Rumors are Joe Rogers Jr (billionaire former ceo of Waffle House) is also involved
I heard that too, though I'd like something a little more definitive than just a rumor... because if it's just Krause, I suspect it'd be handled about as well as the QC bid from PKP was. Granted, it's unlikely we'll know anything more than this for the time being, but it's still something we'd all like to know.

That said, if he is involved, that's great. It'd give this prospective bid a lot more weight.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
You're getting bombarded by English language ads on French TV? That seems weird.

The point is, US/Anglo companies have to value not just the ad spend, but the price of porting their advertisement to French for that specific market. It has to be worth it to them. It's not a dealbreaker, but it's a schism in the advertising markets that would be ignorant to ignore.

And at the end of the day...they're still probably reaching very nearly as many people with existing French language viewers through those broadcasters. If there's no Nordiques game on because they don't exist...a large contingent of those viewers are still watching something hockey related in French.

TV Ratings are also becoming a fairly antiquated metric anyway. Nielsen has trouble tracking accurately in a world where digital content delivery is huge and multimedia intake patterns are shifting dramatically.

It's why so many companies are shifting big dollars toward social media and other online advertising over more traditional forms.

And that's to say nothing of all the other crap we've had foisted upon us, like digitally superimposed regional advertising on broadcasts, and what that means for Francophone sponsor ads on the boards and the ice, or the stupid helmet ads which are going to narrow in suitors for a team that needs to cross that language barrier. It just adds an extra layer of complexity to what "value" a QC team adds.
American and Canadian companies that matters already advertise in French. If they sell in Quebec, they have ads in French. If they don’t sell in Quebec, they don’t.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
“The developer is also committed to developing a community ice center with ice for hockey and skating (at a location to be determined)."
Perhaps after the team is a reality, they will build something similar to what the Panthers have recently completed. A 2 rink facility, one for the team’s training, the other for the public’s use. Combined with other entertainment options on site.

The only thing that would hold hockey back from success in Atlanta is a repeat of a bad ownership situation. Look at FL now under an owner who doesn’t look at the team as simply an expense incurred while running their arena business, and has actually built a top notch hockey organization (Finally!!!)

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
If they add Atlanta & SLC to get to 34 teams, it seems that would have to be the limit on the number of teams.

......but we all know if they can get the expansion fee they will consider adding still more teams. ;) And if they do, they should add two new western markets and move Nashville into a division with Carolina, Atlanta and the teams in FL. Throw the Caps back in with them, too, what the hell

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Perhaps after the team is a reality, they will build something similar to what the Panthers have recently completed. A 2 rink facility, one for the team’s training, the other for the public’s use. Combined with other entertainment options on site.

The only thing that would hold hockey back from success in Atlanta is a repeat of a bad ownership situation. Look at FL now under an owner who doesn’t look at the team as simply an expense incurred while running their arena business, and has actually built a top notch hockey organization (Finally!!!)

Very cool. That’s actually The setup the former thrashers had with the Duluth Ice Arena. Youth programs played there but the team practiced on a seperate ice and facility that was connected/adjacent

Dec 15, 2002
If they add Atlanta & SLC to get to 34 teams, it seems that would have to be the limit on the number of teams.

......but we all know if they can get the expansion fee they will consider adding still more teams. ;)
Why wouldn't they? If someone waved $3 billion at the NFL, they'd open up expansion and add 2-4 more teams and deal with logistics after the fact. [Which, it's been 22 years since the NFL has added a team, the longest stretch without expansion in the league's history; I suspect it's a matter of time before they open up bidding.] And as good as college football is, IMO it would be watering down the quality of the game because there's already a ton of mediocre QBs out there and pass defense isn't a thing any more. Just like if someone waved $2 billion at the NBA, the league would add a couple of teams in the blink of an eye and the college game has been terrible for a while now [further aggravated by the 1-and-done process].

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Very cool. That’s actually The setup the former thrashers had with the Duluth Ice Arena. Youth programs played there but the team practiced on a seperate ice and facility that was connected/adjacent
i played plenty of games on the 2nd /Thrashers sheet of ice between 2000-2007 … used to be cool to roll in the locker rooms and sometimes you would have broken sticks frim visiting team’s opposing teams in the locker room trash cans

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
@FlyguyOX @dj4aces @AtlantaWhaler

Great thread of which I had zero knowledge. Thanks very much for the explanations, maps, and reasonings. Excellent read (entire thread!) for a Saturday morning.
Really interesting the whole thought process of the entertainment/arena district in a suburb where for years this concept was this could only be done to either revitalize or due to traffic be in a downtown location.
Hope that all goes forward and you three have convinced me it not be slightly successful, but will actually thrive and could change the modelling for the future. Excellent information on the Braves move as well that I had no knowledge of.
Great work gents! Much appreciated

LeveilleFan19

Jul 13, 2016
Not sure, but I get the feeling that most people here don't understand that Atlanta is not a State. It's a city in Georgia. That said, Atlanta could and never will support a hockey team. The city itself isn't exactly what you would classify a "sports town". It's a shithole. The natives only care about college football. If not for the Braves "whopping" two championships, the city of Atlanta would have exactly ZERO banners to hang in any arena/field.

The reason I can see an NHL team succeeding in Georgia, this time, is because the team will not be located in Atlanta. They will be located in an area where the population overwhelmingly consists of transports to Georgia because their companies moved to the state for tax advantages. I know, because I'm one of them and I live in the area where the team will/would be located. In short, there are a ton of people from all over the country that now live in this area. There are very few natives. It's simply too affluent for them. Hate that statement or not, it's simply the truth. If you were here you would see it first hand. I'm a born and bred Bostonian in my late 50's. Company moved here 8 years ago and outside of a couple of parents I met from when my daughter played lacrosse, I haven't met but a handful of native Georgians. My closest friends are from all over the country.

With that said, there are many people here starving for an NHL team. I could actually see it working in this area.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Timing. Risk.

If the Yotes change hands again before they get a permanent AZ home sorted out, they’re relocating too. Nobody wants to pay hundreds of millions of dollars and have that kind of extreme uncertainty hanging over them.

As you said, Vegas built the arena before getting a team. They don’t win the expansion bid and only then figure out how/where/when they’d build an arena. It’s kinda what Atlanta is trying to do right now.

Ottawa has a building that, to my knowledge, they could play in indefinitely while any and all red tape is sorted out. Their need of an arena doesn’t come close to what Atlanta’s did or Arizona’s does.

Good points.

Ottawa also played out of their junior teams arena for a couple years while there's gets built. That's why I was wondering why they didn't look at those options if they had no problem in the 90s having a team play out of a 10,000 seat amateurs teams rink.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
What about the Atlanta Phoenix?
I think something like this could cause a bit of confusion... though, I admit, it'd be downright amusing to see the fallout from said confusion. Particularly on nights where the Phoenix visit Phoenix for a game.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015

......but we all know if they can get the expansion fee they will consider adding still more teams. ;) And if they do, they should add two new western markets and move Nashville into a division with Carolina, Atlanta and the teams in FL. Throw the Caps back in with them, too, what the hell

34 teams makes zero sense in anything other than extreme short term.

They could do 33 teams::
- 3 conferences of 11 teams each. You play each team in your conference 4x (40 games) and other 22 teams twice each (44 games) = 84 games total. With three conferences playoff seeding would have to be 1-16.

They could do 36 teams:
- 4 divisions of 9 teams each. You play each team in your division 4x (32 games) and the other 27 teams twice (54 games) = 86 games total. Playoff format could be similar to what we have now, though there's no in conference but not in division play.

They could even do 35 teams:
- 5 divisions of 7 teams each. You play each team in your division 4x (24 games) and the other 28 teams twice (56 games) = 80 games total. With no intra-conference play seed the teams 1-16.

But 34 doesn't work. 34 is two conferences of 17 which can't be split evenly into two divisions. and there's no other configuration that would produce an even number of teams in conferences/divisions.

---

Also Nashville has zero desire to cross timezones to play with those teams in divisional play.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Why wouldn't they? If someone waved $3 billion at the NFL, they'd open up expansion and add 2-4 more teams and deal with logistics after the fact. [Which, it's been 22 years since the NFL has added a team, the longest stretch without expansion in the league's history; I suspect it's a matter of time before they open up bidding.] And as good as college football is, IMO it would be watering down the quality of the game because there's already a ton of mediocre QBs out there and pass defense isn't a thing any more. Just like if someone waved $2 billion at the NBA, the league would add a couple of teams in the blink of an eye and the college game has been terrible for a while now [further aggravated by the 1-and-done process].

I think the NFL would absolutely scoff at $3B for an expansion team.

Even the lowliest, least valuable NFL franchises are worth an easy $4-5B these days. You'd have to well exceed that to get the NFL keen on expansion. Even then, the entire model is entirely different in so many ways. There's a measure of "exclusivity" that is actually extremely valuable to the current owners of NFL franchises, that i think they'd be reluctant to compromise.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Alrite can't wait for the Quebec Nordiques franchise to come into the league via Atlanta. The birthplace of a thousand franchises.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Not sure, but I get the feeling that most people here don't understand that Atlanta is not a State. It's a city in Georgia. That said, Atlanta could and never will support a hockey team. The city itself isn't exactly what you would classify a "sports town". It's a shithole. The natives only care about college football. If not for the Braves "whopping" two championships, the city of Atlanta would have exactly ZERO banners to hang in any arena/field.

The reason I can see an NHL team succeeding in Georgia, this time, is because the team will not be located in Atlanta. They will be located in an area where the population overwhelmingly consists of transports to Georgia because their companies moved to the state for tax advantages. I know, because I'm one of them and I live in the area where the team will/would be located. In short, there are a ton of people from all over the country that now live in this area. There are very few natives. It's simply too affluent for them. Hate that statement or not, it's simply the truth. If you were here you would see it first hand. I'm a born and bred Bostonian in my late 50's. Company moved here 8 years ago and outside of a couple of parents I met from when my daughter played lacrosse, I haven't met but a handful of native Georgians. My closest friends are from all over the country.

With that said, there are many people here starving for an NHL team. I could actually see it working in this area.

Imagine living in some northern OTP exurb full of vinyl sided tract houses and chain restaurants and calling Buckhead , Brookhaven, or Ansley Park a shithole lmao

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Let's get a head start on this and start taking bets on what city they get moved to when this fails a 3rd time.

LeveilleFan19

Jul 13, 2016
Imagine living in some northern OTP exurb full of vinyl sided tract houses and chain restaurants and calling Buckhead , Brookhaven, or Ansley Park a shithole lmao
That's funny. You haven't been north of Atlanta too far if you think it's vinyl sided tract housing and chain restaurants. Take a ride to Alpharetta, Milton, John's Creek, Cumming, etc....

As for the three locations you mentioned, I don't recall calling any of those a shithole. I specifically mentioned the city of Atlanta, which is not any of the three you mentioned.

No one wants to go into the city to see a sporting event. Even the Braves moved outside the city.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

rea

Feb 8, 2011
If only someone would explain what happened in Atlanta I and Atlanta II that caused those franchises to relocate. Well, maybe someone will do some extensive research and maybe talk to people who were there either time (or maybe even both times) and finally explain it here once. Or, 1,999 times.
So what you are saying, is that the 2nd time around, in the 7th biggest tv market in the US, originally being bought by Turner who owns major network, with sliding attendance and deciding to wash their hands of team to a shitty local group, which was agreed and allowed to by this non dictatorship league, agreed on that stance, but yet were allowed to relocate, somehow deserves shots over other markets now?

And defending them because of various reasons doesn't defend anything I said, when I stated maybe another place should get it's chance. Acting like they were the only city in league history to have bum owners or go through bad financial times. Following the Canucks, they almost lost their team due to a weakening dollar, but worked it out. Along the way they lost their NBA team. Atl flames were in such debt due to owners cash flow burned up in other projects and, lo and behold, low attendance, which was part of the 2nd fallout. The nhl allowed the atlanta spirit group to buy 2nd time off Turner, and through their great efforts to filter out other bids, came to the conclusion that a group made up of alot of ppl who were not even wanting the nhl side of the sale, agreed to it. That's on the league.

Why does it hurt your soul so much that people would have an opinion as to why they'd personally want that if there was expansion, that this area shouldn't get first dibs?
I know this is going to come as a complete shock to people, seeing as how it's been explained 2,024 times before, but no matter where you put teams under the current cap system - which, BTW, requires revenue sharing in some fashion - someone is going to be receiving revenue sharing. It is mathematically impossible to move teams around, delete teams as desired, and somehow make everyone "above average" so that no one needs revenue sharing.
The idea of revenue sharing is great, you are right, someone will always get it, nothing I stated presented otherwise. The issue I may have not got across, is if you are regularly sharing with markets that are in no way making money, nor growing, that really is counterintuitive to actually growing the game, revenues, viewership, fanbase.
1. Fans don't decide where teams operate. Owners do.
2. There is no guarantee that any franchise will thrive in a given location. Winning and competent ownership have a hell of a lot more to do with whether a franchise will thrive than where it's located.
Where did I state anything about fans deciding? I stated my opinion, this has nothing to do with what or where is chosen.
And you are correct, there is no guarantee. What you try to do in a good business model, is to find the best options to mitigate the least amount of failure. Again, you say competent ownership, the league decides who it allows in, I guess they can f*** up too right, considering who they've allowed to own certain teams I need not keep repeating.
And then those new markets would generate higher revenues, which would push up the salary cap, which means everyone has to spend more money, which weakens every single franchise whose revenues fall under the average - and there's going to be more under the average than over given how revenues by team skews - which means all the high-revenue teams have to fork over more in profit sharing to support their low-revenue brethren.
Yep new markets can generate higher revenue. So go to a NEW market. Bringing up big TV markets, Houston is ahead of Atlanta. This is an agree to disagree about locations and such. You can be pro Georgia, no fault in that, but to say it is the best option atm, that is very debatable
Unless, again, you can figure out how to defy the laws of mathematics and move/delete teams so that everyone is "above average."
Again, no where did I state anything about this, but u keep beating that drum big guy
Real f***ing shame Bettman runs a dictatorship in the NHL, instead of doing what the other 32 owners ask him to do. Imagine how weird it would be if all the other team owners backed this idea, created a process to solicit bids, reviewed proposals from interested parties, and then voted to award new teams to interested owners who paid the requested fee.
Yeah, that's crazy talk. It's that goddamn asshole Bettman's decision to make on his own, and he flips out new franchises like he's dealing cards at the kitchen poker table.
Which leads me to this, so you are saying the owners of the league decided to defend the Phoenix team, stating no ownership group buying it could relocate it, bringing in terrible owner after terrible owner, being run by the league itself for 4 years, but wouldn't do the same for the Atlanta team, that has such a big TV market, has higher population, and they should now get a 3rd opportunity over said new markets? I guess all the owners ran phx together, or did the leaders of the NHL have to pick the people to put in place to run it?

The whole snarky retort about a dictatorship, along with most of your post, totally unnecessary. The commissioners of every major sports league have a huge voice in the ways and roads that it goes through. Or do you believe the owners of every other team love the fact that they have to pay twds a team currently 2 years in to playing in a 5k capacity arena, and probably still years out from an actual professional rink, because it's a great business model? Or could there be some sort of ulterior motive somewhere, which I will fully state, is pure speculation on my part. But I'd like to presume that in a corporation with multiple wings under its branch, that as a whole, there must be some persons of power with a specific agenda, that would allow a team that is going on almost 30 yrs of ineptitude, with the steadiest turnstile of questionable ownership to this day, to be protected as long as they have when a team so deserving of being kept like the thrashers, were allowed to peace the f*** out
:nod: You're so close to getting it.
No I am terribly far away from any semblance of reality, that's why I'm here debating you on a forum for kicks.

Last edited:

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
A 10,000-word salad from someone who didn't live through what Atlanta Spirit did here firsthand.

Atlanta Spirit deliberately killed the Thrashers because they viewed them as competition for the Hawks, the only team they wanted when they bought the Hawks, Thrashers, and arena all in one package. This. Isn't. Hard.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
A 10,000-word salad from someone who didn't live through what Atlanta Spirit did here firsthand.

Atlanta Spirit deliberately killed the Thrashers because they viewed them as competition for the Hawks, the only team they wanted when they bought the Hawks, Thrashers, and arena all in one package. This. Isn't. Hard.
Louder.

For the folks in the back maybe? The ignorance is so bad you got a TAMPA fan having sympathy for Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad