NHL Team Prospect Pool Strength Rankings (July 2024)

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
31st in league revenue for 2023 is factually inaccurate?

24th in gross attendance and percentage of capacity during the '23/'24 season is factually inaccurate?

The lack of on ice success is factually inaccurate?

Please, elaborate further.

I don't disagree, but it doesn't change the past. And just because a new owner is in charge doesn't necessarily mean things will change for the better in the future.

I mean, the Travis Green hiring is classic Sens.

And sold the franchise everyone loves to hate for more only one year later. And no, the difference isn't only inflation.

It goes back to my original premise that Ottawa is a second rate franchise. Seems the players agree.

The whole thread has been Senators fans making personal attacks on me and not addressing any of the points I've made. When I give a reply in kind that isn't polite you suddenly have issues. It's not my fault you and your Sens fans brethren can dish it out, but can't take it in return. Cope.

You typed all that out and still haven't pointed to a single thing I've gotten wrong.
You are responsible for 15% of the posts since this thread was created since yesterday. Take a break and go outside buddy, if the sens are so lowly why are they always on your mind?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'm just looking at Google maps to see why everyone dislikes playing in Ottawa over 20 to 30 minutes of commuting.
Never visited the city but hope to someday as a proud Canadian and hockey fan.

When players come to Ottawa they arrive in the airport south of the downtown area then travel to the arena which is next to the highway in the far west end. The hotel is near the arena so between Kanata and the airport the players really are nowhere near the downtown area at all.

It's effectively just traveling between a suburb to an outlet mall. Hardly a postcard picture.

Shane Diesel

Mods are corporate stooges
Jun 8, 2021
You are responsible for 15% of the posts since this thread was created since yesterday. Take a break and go outside buddy, if the sens are so lowly why are they always on your mind?
Just applying the same standards to Ottawa that are applied to other warm weather teams, specifically the Coyotes.

The reactions sure are wildly different and revealing, aren't they?

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

24th in gross attendance and percentage of capacity during the '23/'24 season is factually inaccurate?

I don't disagree, but it doesn't change the past. And just because a new owner is in charge doesn't necessarily mean things will change for the better in the future.

And sold the franchise everyone loves to hate for more only one year later. And no, the difference isn't only inflation.

It goes back to my original premise that Ottawa is a second rate franchise. Seems the players agree.

The whole thread has been Senators fans making personal attacks on me and not addressing any of the points I've made. When I give a reply in kind that isn't polite you suddenly have issues. It's not my fault you and your Sens fans brethren can dish it out, but can't take it in return. Cope.

You typed all that out and still haven't pointed to a single thing I've gotten wrong.

"You're wrong because I say so."
Oh quit playing the victim. You're having a gay ol' time pointing out how bad the franchise is.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Oh quit playing the victim. You're having a gay ol' time pointing out how bad the franchise is.
I'm not, I'm down for any type of discussion you guys want to have. Just pointing out it wasn't me that started with the mud slinging.

And turnabout is fair play.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Sens were right below the Red Wings in arena capacity last year. Guess they should fold too.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
When players come to Ottawa they arrive in the airport south of the downtown area then travel to the arena which is next to the highway in the far west end. The hotel is near the arena so between Kanata and the airport the players really are nowhere near the downtown area at all.

It's effectively just traveling between a suburb to an outlet mall. Hardly a postcard picture.
Nothing is within walking distance from the hotel they stay at. Nothing at all.

That makes a little more sense. Doesn't sound ideal, still look forward to getting to see a Wings game in Ottawa in the near future. Future rivalry when both teams return to relevancy and much more affordable place to see a game it seems over Toronto or Montreal. Cheers.

Reactions: umma gumma

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
I'm not, I'm down for any type of discussion you guys want to have. Just pointing out it wasn't me that started with the mud slinging. And turnabout is fair play.
Oh no? The Canadian Coyotes? Considering the Coyotes didn't even have an arena to play in last year, and have had next to zero playoff success since their inception you're comment was going to do nothing other than stir the pot. And it did. Congrats.

Reactions: Max Milk

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Oh no? The Canadian Coyotes? Considering the Coyotes didn't even have an arena to play in last year, and have had next to zero playoff success since their inception you're comment was going to do nothing other than stir the pot.
I think I've posted plenty of links and facts that show Ottawa is closer to Arizona than a powerhouse team. In fact, in comparison they have a lot in common. I've backed up my argument repeatedly.

But again, back to the double standard. Shitting on the Coyotes is fine, but how dare you make factual statements that show a Canadian franchise in a negative light.

You all are a hoot.

Back to the topic at hand, do you have a response to the points I've made in the thread or do you just want to take more personal shots?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You can also look over at Calgary and what doing a bridge with Matt Tkachuck ended up costing the Flames. Ott is also considering that they are a smaller market and the chance to ink their own home grown kids long term into UFA years, I would have to agree that this is the same strategy I would employ. Same goes for the Win/Edm markets.

Ott just isn't in a position to go bridge and take the chance of their kids walking to free agency. They did that with Stone and after his arbitration case, he ended up traded at the TDL to LV.

You have to play your situation.
It's true that there are significant risks either way and no "right answer". I just dislike the idea of handing out so many long-term extensions as a collective and saying "ok, this is our group". I get it for teams that have gone to the postseason, maybe won a round, but to do it when you should still be evaluating is risky.

Reactions: MoneyManny

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
I think I've posted plenty of links and facts that show Ottawa is closer to Arizona than a powerhouse team. In fact, in comparison they have a lot in common. I've backed up my argument repeatedly.

But again, back to the double standard. Shitting on the Coyotes is fine, but how dare you make factual statements that show a Canadian franchise in a negative light.

You all are a hoot.

Back to the topic at hand, do you have a response to the points I've made in the thread or do you just want to take more personal shots?
Any team that hasn't got an arena to play in deserves to be shat on.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's true that there are significant risks either way and no "right answer". I just dislike the idea of handing out so many long-term extensions as a collective and saying "ok, this is our group". I get it for teams that have gone to the postseason, maybe won a round, but to do it when you should still be evaluating is risky.
If you are a team that has the option to go either, which I think in Van, Mon, Tor, and maybe Cal they do have that option to bridge or max term. But, for the smaller markets like Ott, Edm, Win, I fully understand their desire to keep their guys as long as possible since they are hard pressed to attract UFAs. Just have to hope that the kids they max term have the internal desire to improve and not be content.

Reactions: MoneyManny

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Any team that finishes 31st in revenue, is a drain on league profit sharing, doesn't attract fans and doesn't compete in the playoffs regularly, deserves to be shit on too.
A team finishing 31stin revenue, is a drain on league profit sharing, doesn't attract fans and doesn't compete in the playoffs regularly happens every year. You must live an empty life.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa

Well, what even is your argument with these points? So what? What implication does that have for the Sens present and future? The only point of yours that applies to the present suggests there are 8 worse teams than us. Sure seems factually inaccurate to say that means we must be the worst.

Travis Green is a better hire than most this offseason IMO. Only real miss for the Sens is Berube.
ARZ sold for more because they wanted to buy out Meruelo; they FORCED him to sell. No member of the ownership group is going to OK Bettman forcing a member out, knowing that it could be them someday, at least without seeing how lucrative it can be. Easy to imagine too that the convenience of being able to set up your Hockey team anywhere in America is also of significant value, and would drive up the bidding war.
This is why you are getting called out. For example, I give you a greater context as to how to properly interpret "visiting", but you just keep on diarrheaing.

"You're wrong because I say so."
You are just being an angey poster that's pouncing on mostly Melnyk-era stats to prop up your commenting spree that Ottawa=bad. Honestly, most Sens would agree that we were probably the worst run team in the league under Dorion and Melnyk. Woah boy, you got us there!!!!

A REAL point you could have used is that we have to forfeit a 1st round pick in the next few years because of Dorion. There you go bud, a real point you can use to say why Ottawa might have the worst future in the NHL.

However, it's been a full 180 since Andlauer has come in. Significant investments have been made in our analytics department and on our operations side. Players and executives that were pushed out by Melnyk and Dorion are coming back. Staios is building a much more balanced and thought-out team than anything Dorion could assemble. We own our AHL team and their payroll is getting beefed up significantly this offseason.

So, all signs suggest otherwise from the premise of this thread. We are on the right path.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
You see if we take a snapshot of the sens at their lowest point then they are definitely the worst team ever.

Ignore all that other shit.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
They were 13 points out of a playoff spot. How does the math work to show us that average goaltending would have made that difference?
That's 7 wins from a real goaltender vs 0 wins from Korpisalo - who literally couldn't stop anything. All of those games we lost 4-3 or 5-3 or 6-3 are completely winnable games with league average goaltending, let alone Ullmark.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Having good ownership is key. Didn't the Sens spend much of the 2010's with a high ranking prospect pool? I've always found that to be an over-rated asset. Pro-scouting and making good contract decisions is arguably more important, as is having an owner who has his head on straight.

Sens will probably be fine 3 or so years from now when they settle in. I'd bet a team like Columbus will be stuck in the muck for a lot longer than that. It's one thing to be semi-competitive going nowhere like the Caps and the Pens, but to be going nowhere still picking top 10 means you're aimlessly losing 60% of your season's games and it's hard to get momentum going.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It's gunna be funny to watch them use assets for a 3rd year in a row on a player that will just leave after a single season.

Another bad season which is likely and Brady is probably picking up that phone and wanting out too.
So....you wouldn't have traded a late first to get out of the Korpisalo contract? A contract that had 4 years left on it and stinks of dog shit? And we didn't just get rid of it, mind you, we got Ullmark as well.

Funny....no sir, even if Ullmark walks everyone with a brain does that deal over and over and over again.

Reactions: wintersej

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
A team finishing 31stin revenue, is a drain on league profit sharing, doesn't attract fans and doesn't compete in the playoffs regularly happens every year. You must live an empty life.
No, just calling them like I see them.

Well, what even is your argument with these points? So what? What implication does that have for the Sens present and future? The only point of yours that applies to the present suggests there are 8 worse teams than us. Sure seems factually inaccurate to say that means we must be the worst.
One of the worst Canadian franchises right there with Winnipeg and towards the bottom of the entire league. That's the point.
Travis Green is a better hire than most this offseason IMO. Only real miss for the Sens is Berube.
You only say this because you're a Sens fan. 141-159-35 isn't impressing anyone.
ARZ sold for more because they wanted to buy out Meruelo; they FORCED him to sell. No member of the ownership group is going to OK Bettman forcing a member out, knowing that it could be them someday, at least without seeing how lucrative it can be. Easy to imagine too that the convenience of being able to set up your Hockey team anywhere in America is also of significant value, and would drive up the bidding war.
And yet, despite making him sell the franchise and buyers knowing they had an advantage the franchise still sold for more. Interesting.
This is why you are getting called out. For example, I give you a greater context as to how to properly interpret "visiting", but you just keep on diarrheaing.
A new arena in a new location may have an impact on NHL player views of visiting. It may not. We'll see. You're making predictions and stating them as fact.
You are just being an angey poster that's pouncing on mostly Melnyk-era stats to prop up your commenting spree that Ottawa=bad. Honestly, most Sens would agree that we were probably the worst run team in the league under Dorion and Melnyk. Woah boy, you got us there!!!!

A REAL point you could have used is that we have to forfeit a 1st round pick in the next few years because of Dorion. There you go bud, a real point you can use to say why Ottawa might have the worst future in the NHL.
I was saving that one. Damn you, SensontheRush for taking one of my goodbye posts to the thread. You stole my thunder.
However, it's been a full 180 since Andlauer has come in. Significant investments have been made in our analytics department and on our operations side. Players and executives that were pushed out by Melnyk and Dorion are coming back. Staios is building a much more balanced and thought-out team than anything Dorion could assemble. We own our AHL team and their payroll is getting beefed up significantly this offseason.

So, all signs suggest otherwise from the premise of this thread. We are on the right path.
Again, you're stating predictions as fact. We'll see if things dramatically change in the future with a new owner. As of right this minute they're very much Canada's version of the Coyotes.

Omg who f***ing cares?
Everyone complained endlessly that the Coyotes were bad for the NHL's bottom line. Ottawa is right there at the bottom with them. Why does Ottawa get a pass?

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Everyone complained about something, so now you have to do the same thing you didn't like. 👍

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The Sens are less than a year removed from being run from one of the worst GMs of all time.

Dorion was a complete disaster and almost everything he did blew up in the team's face and set it back.

The Canucks were in a similar position after getting rid of Benning. They had a lot of young difference makers but lacked depth and a lot of their future had been squandered on shortsighted short-term acquisitions.

A bit of good work from their new GM and they are back to looking like a potential contender, now and in the future. Could be the same for the Sens if Staios proves to be a capable manager.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad