NHL Team Prospect Pool Strength Rankings (July 2024)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Ottawa Senators had a proactive off season last year and many believed they would do well, but they finished the third worst team in the East raising a question of whether the current core is capable of making play offs.

At the same time the Senators prospect pool is one of the worst in the league:

View attachment 893653

So, is it fair to say the Senators are one of the worst ran franchises that has a bleak present and questionable future ?

Nah that's Pittsburgh they have 2 prospects worth anything Owen Pickering and Brayden Yegar that's it.

They are also close to the oldest team in the league, they might even be the oldest but I don't think so, I think that's the NYI.

But Pittsburgh is pretty old.

They did hire Wes Clark from Toronto and some of his picks do seem to be trending in the right direction for Toronto Notably Cowan and Minten, so maybe he will help Pittsburgh.

Thing is, IF Wes Clark can do that he's going to need Dubas to keep draft picks and Dubas does everything he can not to keep draft picks, even when he acquires them It's with the intent to flip them, he's not always able to do it but he's always trying.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They have decent core but their asset management hasn't been very good between Chychrun and DeBrincat.

Ullmark should help them but at the same time, TOR/TBL/FLA/BOS are still playoff teams so they'll have their work cut out for them.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Senators have one of the better collections of U25 talent in the league. It might be worth more than Chicago or San Jose's, we just don't talk about it as much on HF when guys are over the age of 21. The lack of a prospect pool under 21 (aside from Yakemchuk, who is great) is unfortunate but not a big deal when you have the guys slightly older than that.

Adding Ullmark could change everything for them. They would have been in the playoff chase with average goaltending.
IMO - the Sens need to change the culture. They have to fundamentally transform the Sens to one where people want to commit to the organization from a location where you are committed. I am hopeful that the new ownership group has the ability to put the right people in charge, and then give them the resources necessary to compete. I joked about it before, but Dorian was answering the damn phone during the pandemic. The guy who you're counting on to guide the organization in a billion dollar industry is having to answer the phones because there wasn't anyone else available.

The Sens paid a pretty heavy price for one year of Ulmark. They need to build a foundation and future pipeline, and not keep paying significant assets for guys who are there for a year, or a year and a half.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It's gunna be funny to watch them use assets for a 3rd year in a row on a player that will just leave after a single season.

Another bad season which is likely and Brady is probably picking up that phone and wanting out too.
Ya I’m sure they’ll miss Korpisalo, and that 25th.
Still hard to believe got out of the last 4 years of his contract.

Shane Diesel

Mods are corporate stooges
Jun 8, 2021
Being obtuse on purpose, just hit ignore, or don’t reply.
Like that in every thread partakes in, doesn’t understand the game yet, when read post history.
Obviously new to the game, don’t be hard on the guy though, as a new fan.

If you hit reply, it will never end, so be selective.
You want to know why you're my favorite poster on HF? It's because you're so very transparent and obvious in your actions when I've struck a nerve. It's hilarious.

Won't rebut anything I've said or bring any links or facts to the discussion as a counter. Just plain old character assassination. Keep up the good work, I always get a hearty chuckle at your weak trash talk.

Edit: and just as I suspected, no reply on the merits of the discussion, just a laugh emoji. The final refuge of charlatans and bullshit artists without a leg to stand on.

Like I said, you're the definition of transparent grandstanding.

Last edited:

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Second least favorite city to visit by the players in the whole NHL.

Attachments

• the-rest-of-the-anonymous-player-polls-v0-aiaviwwujsfc1.jpg
    the-rest-of-the-anonymous-player-polls-v0-aiaviwwujsfc1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 6

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ottawa being worse than Edmonton at drafting is extremely concerning, considering our drafting has mostly just been throwing a dart into a crowd of WHLers and OHLers and selecting whoever's bleeding.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
IMO - the Sens need to change the culture. They have to fundamentally transform the Sens to one where people want to commit to the organization from a location where you are committed. I am hopeful that the new ownership group has the ability to put the right people in charge, and then give them the resources necessary to compete. I joked about it before, but Dorian was answering the damn phone during the pandemic. The guy who you're counting on to guide the organization in a billion dollar industry is having to answer the phones because there wasn't anyone else available.

The Sens paid a pretty heavy price for one year of Ulmark. They need to build a foundation and future pipeline, and not keep paying significant assets for guys who are there for a year, or a year and a half.
Sens have inked a player to a max term deal coming out of ELC for like 5 straight seasons from Chabot, Tkachuck, Norris, Stutzle, and Sanderson. They get kids to commit. But, the rest of the operations has just been terrible.

Again, I still can't understand the logic of the DCat trade. A scoring American winger that you are hoping to extend when he's a year out of UFA with no ties to your organization? Winger, not a C or Dman. Luxury move. Bad decision. Especially since there should be no pressure to make this move with Melnyk's passing.

Chrchrun, they get him and 20 regular season games later they max term Sanderson. So, they have Chabot and Sanderson on the left side moving forward at $8 mill each and you have a 3rd LHD? If Chrchyrn was a RHD, I'd get the move. Didn't at the time.

As for the right people, agree on that. Not a big fan of their front office and HC moves. Thought they needed someone better than Green as HC. Was willing to give Staios a chance, but not a fan of his moves so far as GM.

Sens are already half way through Chabot's max term deal and nothing to show for it yet. Need to get going.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You want to know why you're my favorite poster on HF? It's because you're so very transparent and obvious in your actions when I've struck a nerve. It's hilarious.

Won't rebut anything I've said or bring any links or facts to the discussion as a counter. Just plain old character assassination. Keep up the good work, I always get a hearty chuckle at your weak trash talk.

Edit: and just as I suspected, no reply on the merits of the discussion, just a laugh emoji. The final refuge of charlatans and bullshit artists without a leg to stand on.

Like I said, you're the definition of transparent grandstanding.

I’m a Sens fan and the fact he’s in your kitchen is what Sens nation is all about. Enjoy it, we are the greatest fanbase in the world for a reason

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
25 minute drive? They likely spend more time in traffic in any major American market on a game day or close to. I don't think that's the reason.
Most teams stay at the Brookstreet, 5 km away, even though not much around it.
During playoffs one year I did see the Penguins get off their bus, and a lot had their golf clubs, as a 27 hole golf on site.
Doesn’t help in the winter though.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

That’s the Sens of last year, the culture has 100% changed and we’ve got a good team

Ottawa fans are bullish in their team, Sens won’t get any credit until they make the playoffs so this is just all noise.

Travis Green makes it easy to be a goalie and with Ullmark Ottawa will make the playoffs and probably win a couple of rounds. Win the Cup within 2 years

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Sens have inked a player to a max term deal coming out of ELC for like 5 straight seasons from Chabot, Tkachuck, Norris, Stutzle, and Sanderson.
And transparently, this is part of the problem. With the exception of Norris, it's not even that those are necessarily bad deals by themselves, but by handing out big contracts to everyone who showed a little bit, it builds an overall culture of complacency. One that says you're "good enough", and they just need to keep doing what they're doing... and then an expectation that it'll all just come together just cuz it has for other teams in the past, or an expectation that it doesn't need to because they've already been rewarded. Not to mention you get the Stutzle comments which can be interpreted as "I provide good value for my contract" which can be further interpreted as "so I don't need to go the extra mile, I'm already doing my part". I think locking in such a core like that before they'd accomplished anything as a group looks more and more like a mistake. At least get to the playoffs before you give everyone a big extension. Dorion tried to be the smartest guy in the room with the "no bridge deals", but there is a reason those bridge deals have historically existed. It allows you to separate the men from the boys and figure out who you really want to make "lifelong" (heavy air quotes there) members.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And transparently, this is part of the problem. With the exception of Norris, it's not even that those are necessarily bad deals by themselves, but by handing out big contracts to everyone who showed a little bit, it builds an overall culture of complacency. One that says you're "good enough", and they just need to keep doing what they're doing... and then an expectation that it'll all just come together just cuz it has for other teams in the past, or an expectation that it doesn't need to because they've already been rewarded. Not to mention you get the Stutzle comments which can be interpreted as "I provide good value for my contract" which can be further interpreted as "so I don't need to go the extra mile, I'm already doing my part". I think locking in such a core like that before they'd accomplished anything as a group looks more and more like a mistake. At least get to the playoffs before you give everyone a big extension. Dorion tried to be the smartest guy in the room with the "no bridge deals", but there is a reason those bridge deals have historically existed. It allows you to separate the men from the boys and figure out who you really want to make "lifelong" (heavy air quotes there) members.
You can also look over at Calgary and what doing a bridge with Matt Tkachuck ended up costing the Flames. Ott is also considering that they are a smaller market and the chance to ink their own home grown kids long term into UFA years, I would have to agree that this is the same strategy I would employ. Same goes for the Win/Edm markets.

Ott just isn't in a position to go bridge and take the chance of their kids walking to free agency. They did that with Stone and after his arbitration case, he ended up traded at the TDL to LV.

You have to play your situation.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
What have I posted that's factually inaccurate? Give me one example.
I'd say what you've been saying this whole thread has been factually inaccurate, though technically correct.

It just doesn't matter anymore how the Sens were run under the old ownership. Has no predictive capacity whatsoever.

The Coyotes sale 100% was more do with buying Meruelo out of the ownership group than anything else. He got such a good deal he just couldn't refuse, and, surprise, he announced less than a month after being bought out that he has given up on bringing the Yotes back to Arizona.

And... players hate "visiting" Ottawa? So what? "Visiting" is different than "playing for" or "living in" Ottawa. And like I said, that more has to do with the visiting hotel being in the middle of f***ing forest lol.

Let's not ignore all your posts that are just goading, sneering remarks "just seven fans lol" either.

Yes, drivel. You are wasting your own time and now I had to go and waste my time too.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
I'd say what you've been saying this whole thread has been factually inaccurate, though technically correct.
31st in league revenue for 2023 is factually inaccurate?

24th in gross attendance and percentage of capacity during the '23/'24 season is factually inaccurate?

The lack of on ice success is factually inaccurate?

Please, elaborate further.

It just doesn't matter anymore how the Sens were run under the old ownership. Has no predictive capacity whatsoever.
I don't disagree, but it doesn't change the past. And just because a new owner is in charge doesn't necessarily mean things will change for the better in the future.

I mean, the Travis Green hiring is classic Sens.
The Coyotes sale 100% was more do with buying Meruelo out of the ownership group than anything else. He got such a good deal he just couldn't refuse, and, surprise, he announced less than a month after being bought out that he has given up on bringing the Yotes back to Arizona.
And sold the franchise everyone loves to hate for more only one year later. And no, the difference isn't only inflation.

And... players hate "visiting" Ottawa? So what? "Visiting" is different than "playing for" or "living in" Ottawa. And like I said, that more has to do with the visiting hotel being in the middle of f***ing forest lol.
It goes back to my original premise that Ottawa is a second rate franchise. Seems the players agree.

Let's not ignore all your posts that are just goading, sneering remarks "just seven fans lol" either.
The whole thread has been Senators fans making personal attacks on me and not addressing any of the points I've made. When I give a reply in kind that isn't polite you suddenly have issues. It's not my fault you and your Sens fans brethren can dish it out, but can't take it in return. Cope.

Yes, drivel. You are wasting your own time and now I had to go and waste my time too.
You typed all that out and still haven't pointed to a single thing I've gotten wrong.

"You're wrong because I say so."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad