League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Where is Malkin? :laugh:
It amuses me to no end that the Penguins look awful and stuck in no-mans land. It's also pretty remarkable that even though Crosby and Malkin have been able to hold on to their form longer than Ovi and Backstrom GMBM has done an infinitely better job surrounding our duo with actual talent. Hopefully one day GMBM will get the credit/Dubas will get the blame they should

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
It amuses me to no end that the Penguins look awful and stuck in no-mans land. It's also pretty remarkable that even though Crosby and Malkin have been able to hold on to their form longer than Ovi and Backstrom...

Is that even accurate? Ovie had 50 goals at age 36 and 42 goals at age 37 with missed games.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I have three of those on my fantasy hockey team....

anigif_sub-buzz-32358-1506707809-11.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BallardEra

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Hopefully one day GMBM will get the credit/Dubas will get the blame they should

The Caps don't get credit outside of DC, period. Look at our fast start, in an offseason where we had a lot to navigate including, apparently, the peaceful transfer of power from Mac to Patrick. Lots of criticism of the PLD move, question marks about the kids and Vrana, Oshie's situation, our cap struggle, and "Uh oh, Ovi got fat!"

But not only did we have a killer offseason acquiring a bunch of disparate pieces, but they're pretty quickly proving to be the RIGHT pieces, fitting together nicely, and that's with the one of the biggest new pieces on the shelf with an injury. In retrospect, it seems now that Mac had a pretty serious plan for Kuznetsov that ended up being a major coup. New coach has an under-the-radar team humming right along.

While the narrative outside DC quietly acknowledges the hot start, most of the actual coverage is pretty consistently, "They're all about Ovi's race to 895." And I don't know about you guys, but I haven't been thinking about Ovi all that much so far this year...

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The Caps don't get credit outside of DC, period. Look at our fast start, in an offseason where we had a lot to navigate including, apparently, the peaceful transfer of power from Mac to Patrick. Lots of criticism of the PLD move, question marks about the kids and Vrana, Oshie's situation, our cap struggle, and "Uh oh, Ovi got fat!"

But not only did we have a killer offseason acquiring a bunch of disparate pieces, but they're pretty quickly proving to be the RIGHT pieces, fitting together nicely, and that's with the one of the biggest new pieces on the shelf with an injury. In retrospect, it seems now that Mac had a pretty serious plan for Kuznetsov that ended up being a major coup. New coach has an under-the-radar team humming right along.

But the narrative outside DC quietly acknowledges the hot start, but the actual coverage is pretty consistently, "They're all about Ovi's race to 895." And I don't know about you guys, but I haven't been thinking about Ovi all that much so far this year...
We're also only in 3rd in the MET because NJ have played 9 frickin games already, and we've played 5.

Based on points% we should be 2nd, only slightly behind NYR.

1729717985136.png

It's early but only 4 other teams in the NHL have a higher points%.

Reactions: Calicaps

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
That Theodore extension is real good news for a potential Chychrun extension. Him + Hanifin have set a pretty hard cap of around $7.5M. I originally thought they would wait until closer to the deadline but things have been going so well I would not be surprised to see something in that range soon

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
That Theodore extension is real good news for a potential Chychrun extension. Him + Hanifin have set a pretty hard cap of around $7.5M. I originally thought they would wait until closer to the deadline but things have been going so well I would not be surprised to see something in that range soon
I have been saying 7Mx8. I don’t think it will end at 8m because he will want to be here too. 8 year security is the key get for Chychrun. 56M guaranteed.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
I have been saying 7Mx8. I don’t think it will end at 8m because he will want to be here too. 8 year security is the key get for Chychrun. 56M guaranteed.

I think he could get 8 on the open market pretty easily. Especially, if he continues to play as well as he has this season. He could be even more valuable if he takes over on PP1 for Carlson (which I think is likely).

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I think he could get 8 on the open market pretty easily. Especially, if he continues to play as well as he has this season. He could be even more valuable if he takes over on PP1 for Carlson (which I think is likely).
He could definitely get 8M on the open market. But that is a risk for him. Chychrun has been in shit situations his whole career. Culture and fit is a big deal, especially when you have seen the other side.

FWIW… I would be fine with 8M per. I just don’t think it will take that to get a deal done in Feb/March.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
He could definitely get 8M on the open market. But that is a risk for him. Chychrun has been in shit situations his whole career. Culture and fit is a big deal, especially when you have seen the other side.

FWIW… I would be fine with 8M per. I just don’t think it will take that to get a deal done in Feb/March.
He might be able to get 8Mx7 on the open market but on an 8 year deal in WSH I think Theodore becomes a pretty clear ceiling

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I still don't think Washington has to be the team to pay Chychrun. At least not right now.

He's had a very nice start so far, but over his career he's been more of a second pairing quality player who has missed a ton of time with injuries. I also don't think his game is the type that is likely to age well either.

I'd let the season play out more before even considering re-signing him. If they look like they are going to be a team to be reckoned with within the next year or so then yeah, maybe you consider re-signing him to maximize the team right now. But if it looks like they are still a few years from really contending again then they'd be wise to consider trading him at the TDL for a handsome return. With retention it's hard to imagine him not returning a first+ if he continues playing well.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I still don't think Washington has to be the team to pay Chychrun. At least not right now.

He's had a very nice start so far, but over his career he's been more of a second pairing quality player who has missed a ton of time with injuries. I also don't think his game is the type that is likely to age well either.

I'd let the season play out more before even considering re-signing him. If they look like they are going to be a team to be reckoned with within the next year or so then yeah, maybe you consider re-signing him to maximize the team right now. But if it looks like they are still a few years from really contending again then they'd be wise to consider trading him at the TDL for a handsome return. With retention it's hard to imagine him not returning a first+ if he continues playing well.
Hes what we have been wanting for years. Maybe on par or better then prime Orlov for LHD.
You have to pay everyone at some point. See CMM soon

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Didn’t you want to rush to give Sandin like 6Mx8 before the start of last season? Where’s this new found caution coming from? ;)

I think his injury history is a definite concern. And all parties need to give it more time to see if the fit makes sense. But, we’ve been looking for a real 1LD - so far he’s eating a lot of minutes and looks the part.

Also, when Carlson hangs em up, we really don’t have anyone in the system that could step in as a #1D for whatever that post-Ovi/Carlson era looks like. At only 26, I am hoping he could be that guy. We have Roy locked up for a while, maybe he could be his RD partner eventually. Who knows - like you said, lots of unknowns about how the org handles the post-Ovi transition.

Last edited:
Reactions: HTFN

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I'm not sure the Theodore and Hanifin contracts can be considered around the 'ceiling' for an eventual Chyc deal. I think both of those guys left some money on the table. (And Theodore didn't even sign for 8 years.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad