GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-3-1) @ Detroit Red Wings (3-3-0), 7 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Markstrom will get back to form and the defense will improve drastically as Luke and Pesce get back up to speed. You're going to see Jack start to torch the league again after last night too.

With that said, the Devils are desparately missing a significant scoring piece in the top 6. Mercer is meh and the constant rotation of Palat/Tatar/Cotter in that spot is a weakness. Marchessault would have been a massive addition there.

With a significant gap in the lineup like that, you're going to get games like this where you dominate, can't finish, and lose the goaltending battle.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
TBH, when I see dirty plays, I just wonder how another fan base see's the situation.

I definitively knew before posting everyone here would think it's normal acting like Hughes wasn't trying to hit/hurt the player.
it was a bitch move by hughes, but nobody here really gives a shit all things considered.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'm not going to defend Markstrom. I just fear this idea that an average goalie fixes the team. I definitely would love to see better goaltending. I just don't feel like it's even close to the only thing wrong right now.

I mean that's probably more fair. Like I said, he stole the Ottawa game for us and lost last night and had 2 very brutal games imo v Caps/Leafs but maybe that averages itself over the course of the season. I think part of it is that he's always been this guy, Flames fans warned us he had a streak in it and his career numbers back it up with being in flux year to year. I think they're probably somewhere in the middle between last night and what they showed v TB which is probably still enough to be a playoff team but probably on the bubble.

Reactions: My3Sons

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
So now it matters HOW they score? And you're right, they probably don't because Talbot probably robs them blind lmao. All I'm saying is that if you trade a first round pick for a goalie, you're allowed to steal games. He did that in Ottawa and the first Buffalo game so it's not even a question can he do it, it's just the consistency he does it with.

Which is fine but you can still make saves as a goaltender, it doesn't mean you just have a built in excuse because something happened defensively that you just decide to stay a statue in net or just concede a goal.
Oh, I’m not by a long shot excusing Markstrom last night. But the repeated breakdowns are more often than not egregious to the point of unbelievability. They aren’t why they lost the game last night, but against Washington they were.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Oh, I’m not by a long shot excusing Markstrom last night. But the repeated breakdowns are more often than not egregious to the point of unbelievability. They aren’t why they lost the game last night, but against Washington they were.

Yeah man, I have no clue with their deal with Washington is. Washington this year looks good though. In prior years, it felt like the Devils just came into games with too much bravado and thought they'd steam roll a veteran laden Caps team. It's eerily similar to what we did to the Pens under Shero, no real rhyme or reason to why we were good against them but just flat out owned them for years.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Washington added a ton of players and got rid of malingerers like Kuznetsov. They're also shooting 15% as a team, let's see where they're at in January.

Reactions: My3Sons

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

1729863843822.gif

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hey... come on. I asked about a dirty play. If I really wanted to be a jerk I could be making fun of the team/goalie/coach/signing/etc/etc.

I'm not doing that; I'll leave you alone.
It’s not what you say it’s when and how you say it. As for the play itself I’d say the hit on Dillon was very bit as dangerous if not more so. NHL hits are generally too borderline because it’s hard to actually line a guy up where your only contact is the mid to lower body and he sees you coming. As a result bigger hits tend to be high or blindside. Was it a good play? No but it was hardly egregious given who was involved and what happened. As a rule I think the NHL needs to actually call the rule book but the refs don’t. Whether it’s the league or the refs who makes the game more dangerous we don’t know.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
By the way, I won’t be making the GDT. I don’t know if I was being counted on to make one or not.

If the game was tomorrow I would definitely make it. But I don’t really have time with the back to back.

I tend to start the GDT around 11:00 PM the night before, so it will post at 12:00 AM. I was fuming because of the loss last night at 11:00 and then I went to bed shortly after. Didn’t even review the goals last night. I’m finishing that up right now.

Whoever wants it can have at it.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Jack gets shit on for initiating a hit

Jack would have gotten shit if he didn’t initiate contact

Cmon
jack would’ve gotten shit for not throwing a hit against a guy 50 pounds heavier who was in the process of scoring an empty net goal? who would’ve given him shit for that? trying to poke the puck would’ve been the sensible thing to do. he was frustrated and tried to throw a hit and embarrassed himself.

i love hughes’ skill, but my god he’s an unlikeable person. when is he going to mature? and seeing nico’s leadership and maturity provides a pretty stark contrast that’s become impossible to ignore.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
jack would’ve gotten shit for not throwing a hit against a guy 50 pounds heavier who was in the process of scoring an empty net goal? who would’ve given him shit for that? trying to poke the puck would’ve been the sensible thing to do. he was frustrated and tried to throw a hit and embarrassed himself.

i love hughes’ skill, but my god he’s an unlikeable person. when is he going to mature? and seeing nico’s leadership and maturity provides a pretty stark contrast that’s become impossible to ignore.
I mean a week ago the narrative is Jack looked like he didn’t care on the ice

Now when he shows frustration in a very frustrating game he is getting heat for it

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I mean a week ago the narrative is Jack looked like he didn’t care on the ice

Now when he shows frustration in a very frustrating game he is getting heat for it

He's just immature. I don't think there is any debating that. I don't care that much about it to be honest, but that probably wasn't the best way to handle that situation. He definitely let his emotions get the better of him, which he has been known to do.

Reactions: MartyOwns
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad