GDT: Game 7: Red Wings vs devils 7:00 pm et 10/24/24

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kasper played almost 19 mins tonight and had the 4th most ice for forwards tonight. Can't send him down

Also had Team-worst xGF% from our team. I don't really know what to think about this. Using the guy this heavy, when he is obviously struggling.

Kasper's 5-on-5 on-ice stats:

Corsi 3-26
Fenwick 1-17
Shots 1-10
Scoring chances 0-9
High-Dangers 0-3

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
People can say what they will but I get a different vibe defensively from this team currently. We'll see if they can actually start creating more offensive zone time, shots etc. but this is the 3rd game in a row where they actually look confident shutting things down defensively late in the game.

8th least goals allowed at 5v5. Now if we can just play Edvinsson all the time on the PK that will improve as well.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
People can say what they will but I get a different vibe defensively from this team currently. We'll see if they can actually start creating more offensive zone time, shots etc. but this is the 3rd game in a row where they actually look confident shutting things down defensively late in the game.

8th least goals allowed at 5v5. Now if we can just play Edvinsson all the time on the PK that will improve as well.

At ES they definitely do a good job of keeping teams on the outside and limiting high danger chances. I'm with you on waiting to see if the offense can come around and build on that. They get better transitioning up ice and this season gets interesting for us.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I love winning 3 straight.

hah2.png

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
5 on 5 D wasn’t good either. When NJ had zone time we were constantly caught puck watching and leaving guys open out front. We were just lucky that the player didn’t tip/put the rebound in. This D-core is gonna kill this team. Way worse than last year even with Ed being very good

If we had Ghost instead of Holl (they make the same money) we would be a lot better...
And walman instead of Gus and Albert instead of Petry. Not good for L-R shot pairings but they would be way better

wingsfannn919191

Oct 3, 2024

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Also had Team-worst xGF% from our team. I don't really know what to think about this. Using the guy this heavy, when he is obviously struggling.

Corsi 3-26
Fenwick 1-17
Shots 1-10
Scoring chances 0-9
High-Dangers 0-3

I don't know that "struggling" is a fair characterization for a guy playing his 4th NHL game against a good team, especially when it's all based on shots taken.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Indeed…For those who gripe about Chiarot - well he’s 1 of the few guys on this current roster that’ll drop the gloves in a second and come to the defense of a teammate.

It’s like a repeat of last season.

In the postgame Larkin talked about how Fischer and Chiarot "dragged them into the fight" emotionally. To be clear he meant it positively. That the team was playing without much emotion and those two guys go them fired up and involved.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I read the Rasmussen and Hughes interaction as Hughes hustling to get there and realized he wasn't going to make it and was pulling up at the last second and Ras leaned into him, knocking him over. I think Hughes was a little "WTF man?" and "it's easy to knock someone over when they're stopping and leaning away from you so stop pretending this is some massive hit"

But yeah, to me it looked like Hughes was letting up, just a little too late and Ras took out the trash.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
In the postgame Larkin talked about how Fischer and Chiarot "dragged them into the fight" emotionally. To be clear he meant it positively. That the team was playing without much emotion and those two guys go them fired up and involved.
It's part of why those type of guys are so important. You have a a few guys who play with some swagger and it becomes infectious.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
This is an example of why the eyetest is superior to advanced stats

• There is a scoring chance for. Oh and there is a high danger scoring chance for. Ill make a note of those.
  • That one was a scoring chance against. noted.
  • Nice another scoring chance for.
  • Alright the period is over. Let's tally those up
2 scoring chances for, 1 against. 1 High Danger Scoring chance for, no HD scoring chances against.

You can take it a step further with things like Game Score which add in quality passes, shot assists, skating/passing the puck out of the zone, zone entries, defensive stops, etc,

"Advanced stats" are just measuring, tracking and ultimately quantifying the things you see with the eye test.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
  • There is a scoring chance for. Oh and there is a high danger scoring chance for. Ill make a note of those.
  • That one was a scoring chance against. noted.
  • Nice another scoring chance for.
  • Alright the period is over. Let's tally those up
2 scoring chances for, 1 against. 1 High Danger Scoring chance for, no HD scoring chances against.

Advanced stats are just measuring and quantifying the things you see with your beloved "eye test".

Sure but their names often overstate what they are actually measuring. And it still comes into how reliable the data is. The ol' "garbage in/garbage out."

Someone here was saying last game that according to the advanced stats the Wings didn't have any high danger scoring chances, which means Patrick Kane's one timer goal from near the slot was apparently not "high danger."

I can't confirm if that's true but I'm skeptical of using set parameters for "high danger" anyway. Kane in close for a shot is "high danger." Copp, less so. But they're both equal.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Sure but their names often overstate what they are actually measuring. And it still comes into how reliable the data is. The ol' "garbage in/garbage out."

Someone here was saying last game that according to the advanced stats the Wings didn't have any high danger scoring chances, which means Patrick Kane's one timer goal from near the slot was apparently not "high danger."

I can't confirm if that's true but I'm skeptical of using set parameters for "high danger" anyway. Kane in close for a shot is "high danger." Copp, less so. But they're both equal.

It was deemed a scoring chance but not a high danger scoring chance. When you look at the precise location he wasn't quite in the slot and if you consider he had defenders around him (but not immediately on him) I think that is fairly reasonable.

One can argue it was more of a high danger chance, sure. There is some greyness with this sort of activity. This is why sample sizes are important.

But that is equally applicable with "the eye test." One person could say the eye test told him Kasper had a good game. Another person could say it was mediocre. Those grey areas still exist with the eye test, probably more so. In fact, quantifying each event reduces the greyness (especially over large sample sizes) even if you don't 100% agree with the bucketing of every single event.

1729869315295.png

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

Corsi 3-26
Fenwick 1-17
Shots 1-10
Scoring chances 0-9
High-Dangers 0-3
Forgive my ignorance for I don't follow analytics, or advanced stats, but if his numbers are low then he'll fit right in...According to the numbers fanatics the Red Wings last season was a head scratcher.

:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad