League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

I don't ever want to hear how NHL teams surely must have analytics departments that are superior to public sites like Evolving Hockey. They don't even have people who can manage the salary cap! How can we expect them to do actual player evaluation, which is a more complex endeavor than cap management?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I don't ever want to hear how NHL teams surely must have analytics departments that are superior to public sites like Evolving Hockey. They don't even have people who can manage the salary cap! How can we expect them to do actual player evaluation, which is a more complex endeavor than cap management?

Vague references by this person mean nothing…they have people…I’m sure any teams who purchased API access or otherwise and looking for options….big deal.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

It's software. A tool. They're losing access to software they were probably paying for (hence the API comments).

It doesn't mean the average fan can use the same software and run a team exactly like an executive or paid analyst/manager.

Reactions: HTFN and Calicaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Yeah, this is either massive hyperbole by Friedman….or some of these clubs are run on shoestring budgets/dumbasses.

New NHL Low Level Hire: “uhhh…..shouldn’t we have a salary cap model built or something?”

Top NHL Exec (scoffing) “life and learn young person….we have Cap Friendly for FREE! Why would we spend money on this crap ourselves?!?” (nudges his right hand man who laughs like a nervous jackal)

Next day:

Top NHL Exec (sweat dripping off his brow): “JFC these Capitals! They are the scourge of our existence!! Where is my right hand man today? Right Hand Man!!! RIGHT HAND MAN!!!”

Top NHL Exec Ass’t: ummm sirrr, he ah….he ahhhh…..he called in Sick Today, sir”

• Haha
Reactions: PlushMinus

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Yeah, this is either massive hyperbole by Friedman….or some of these clubs are run on shoestring budgets/dumbasses.

New NHL Low Level Hire: “uhhh…..shouldn’t we have a salary cap model built or something?”

Top NHL Exec (scoffing) “life and learn young person….we have Cap Friendly for FREE! Why would we spend money on this crap ourselves?!?” (nudges his right hand man who laughs like a nervous jackal)

Next day:

Top NHL Exec (sweat dripping off his brow): “JFC these Capitals! They are the scourge of our existence!! Where is my right hand man today? Right Hand Man!!! RIGHT HAND MAN!!!”

Top NHL Exec Ass’t: ummm sirrr, he ah….he ahhhh…..he called in Sick Today, sir”
I don't think it is. We've seen pictures of office staff with capfriendly in the background enough times to know that it was a useful tool for a variety of reasons, it was absolutely used by some (and probably a lot) of teams as a quick and dirty preliminary calculator at minimum.

I do think it's pretty damn dim to be any multi-million dollar franchise and not have an in-house backup plan, and I think a lot of them have one that works for the business but isn't a smooth interface they can work with on the fly. And that's why I also recognize that when Capfriendly exists in the public space it receives a level of care and detail from all 32 franchises' interests (and fans) that contribute to the value of the source in a way that most league offices just... can't provide coverage for. The system works smoothly because it's made for way more than one office and has few blind spots because it was designed to cover the entire league.

Like, if you're running the Chicago Blackhawks there's no way your in-house department is staying low to the ground on the Carolina Hurricanes, LA Kings, and Montreal Canadiens so accurately they're putting capfriendly to shame. Maybe in a crunch when they need a report it can get there briefly, but teams likely weren't allocating tremendous resources to keeping themselves independently updated when it'd take tremendous effort to just do 75% of what a public source was doing.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I was thinking, wouldn’t the NHL itself have some similar tool in house for salary cap oversight for the entire league?

I assume amongst themselves (the franchises) the NHL doesn’t share this information for every player/team? Do we know that for certain?

I find myself wondering why, and I expect some entrepreneurs are thinking, wow do we have a gap in all of professional sports for that kind of offering….

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Draisaitl will not be supplemented by the DOPS. Not a total shock, but still disgusting! They talk about trying to get rid of dangerous hits to the head, yet generating large revenue gets in the way of suspending Draisaitl leaving his feet in the air and a putting a forearm to Barkov's head! The video replay doesn't lie!

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I love how Canadian media is making excuses all around for that. Oilers are just tired! Oilers are just frustrated! Oilers are playing injured too! They just had a week off. Marek and Friedman were bringing up injuries early on from the Playoffs even though they beat Dallas since and Dallas is one of the best teams in the league.

This is a classic case. Draisatl knows they are being dominated and losing the series. He knows he has to do something to turn it around. So he takes out Panthers best player. Why not just talk about it like it is? Especially given how this is Leon Draisatl. He's a great player but any Western fan-base knows that he has track record of doing stuff like this when he's frustrated. You don't even need to call him out if you don't want to trash the almighty Oilers. You can call him a winner personality that hates losing so much that he's willing to do stuff like that to stay in it.

All in all this series just got a lot better, because McDavid was so deep in Barkov's pocket that this series was all but over already. You have to imagine it's closer and that there will be a response from the Panthers for taking out their captain. Lomberg in?

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I think Lomberg draws in for sure.

I thought I would be okay with the Oilers winning this but I cheered when the Panthers tied it and then got the go ahead goal in game 2, so I guess I'm behind the Panthers. I don't really like McDavid - he looks like a scruffy twerp completely lacking in personality and for some reason that annoys me lol. I thought I liked Draisatl but that elbow to Barkov has pissed me off.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

1718191300829.png

I'd like to know how many is "many".

If this is true then it looks like the outrage is probably misplaced.

It's possible the NHL wanted CF down and instead of going through a lengthy legal process they just let one of the teams buy it out. Maybe it gets distributed league-wide, maybe not.

Or maybe this is a fabrication of an excuse after the fact.

Either way, life goes on.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
The Drai thing is one of those situations where it’s clear the league isn’t disciplining based on the act. If the Oilers were up 2-0 or the series was split I could see them giving him a game, but they aren’t so the league doesn’t want to suspend him and be accused of tilting the series. Lame for sure, he deserves a few games.

The Panthers should just focus on playing their game and get their cup and watch Drai cry about it, then beat his ass when you see him next season when the stakes are lower.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I think Lomberg draws in for sure.

I thought I would be okay with the Oilers winning this but I cheered when the Panthers tied it and then got the go ahead goal in game 2, so I guess I'm behind the Panthers. I don't really like McDavid - he looks like a scruffy twerp completely lacking in personality and for some reason that annoys me lol. I thought I liked Draisatl but that elbow to Barkov has pissed me off.
Draisaitl has always been a very poor sport and a little bitch. He's this generations Malkin.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018

I'd like to know how many is "many".

If this is true then it looks like the outrage is probably misplaced.

It's possible the NHL wanted CF down and instead of going through a lengthy legal process they just let one of the teams buy it out. Maybe it gets distributed league-wide, maybe not.

Or maybe this is a fabrication of an excuse after the fact.

Either way, life goes on.
Well the article says "70 percent of teams do not have an internal, salary cap infrastructure," so many would seem to be 22-23 teams. He lists 9 he knows have a backup plan, so excluding the Caps themselves that leaves 22 teams with nothing in place. Kind of a bummer that 5 of the 9 that aren't scrambling right now are in the division, though.

“There are some teams scrambling today, no question about it,” Friedman said. “There are a couple people that have said to me that there will be some teams that don’t have this kind of infrastructure that will be like, ‘Oh no, we’re in trouble here.’ Here are the teams I know of that have something [internally] where they can say, ‘Okay, we’ve got a backup plan here for when this goes offline.’ Seattle, New Jersey, Carolina, Chicago, Islanders, Toronto, Columbus, Vegas, and Pittsburgh. The other teams will have various degrees of concern and worry about where they’re going to go here.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad